Which '70's Genesis Album Are You?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97946
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 07:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Which '70's Genesis Album Are You?
Posted By: Slartibartfast
Subject: Which '70's Genesis Album Are You?
Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 18:04
OK the poll show albums that aren't '70's albums.  If anyone gets something after And Then we all need to complain.
LOL

oops here's the link - http://www.playbuzz.com/tinabanks10/which-70s-genesis-album-are-you" rel="nofollow - http://www.playbuzz.com/tinabanks10/which-70s-genesis-album-are-you

I got Wind & Wuthering -
The quintessential romantic you are. Behind your quiet exterior lies a complex person that is difficult for people to understand. To others, you may come across as a little intense or emotionally driven. Once they get to know you,many facets of your personality unravel before them. It is not easy for people to get to this point because it takes a while for you to build trust in others. You have a cynical attitude towards authority and while you may be shy to do so, deep down you like to break the rules.  Whenever you are under stress, you have a tendency to self-destruct and want to start anew. In love, you love the person so deeply that you connect to their soul.

Mostly spot on. Cool

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Replies:
Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 18:20
I got W&W as well, but just for kicks, I did it again with my second choices and got Selling England by the Pound:

Exposing the truth behind society is what you are all about. Clearly, you recognize that the economy is quite flawed and it leaves the common man behind. Just because higher society may seem normal, there are always little secrets that people hide. You are fully aware of this, and mock people for their obsession over material things and illustrate authority figures with a cynical lens. To you, humanity is confined and contained and should really be able to express themselves. Your form of rebellion is through art, and you express yourself to no avail. Romance is your escape hatch.

Methinks I am actually somewhere in the middle.   

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 18:37
Foxtrot

You are generally lost in a time long gone. Honor, valor, and dignity are the things that you value. Chivalry is not dead, it will come back someday. It brings sorrow to you when humanity destroys the environment. You wish to go back to another time, when people loved honor more than life itself. Anything that is a trend, current, leaves you feeling cynical. You believe that humanity will find a way to control their evolution. You sympathise with people that fell from leadership, and it is quite likely that royalty and rulers fascinate you. To you, good will always triumph over evil, in the most epic of ways.

That's actually pretty good, although I don't think the past was so great. That's one of the cooler quizzes ever though.

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 18:41
Yup. Got Selling England.

-------------
https://twitter.com/ProgFollower" rel="nofollow - @ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 18:49
I got Selling England By The Pound

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 18:53
Wind and Wuthering. 

And I do love that album. 

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 20:01
Got Foxtrot--but not my favorite Genesis albumConfused 

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 20:19
Can you tell me where my Country lies?Tongue

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 20:19
Wound up with Trespass. 

You love to escape reality through fantasy. It is likely that you feel isolated from the people that you love, particularly your friends. Bound to traditional values, you stand up for what you believe in. Violence is something you particularly abhor; you think that it threatens the overall well-being of society. It is very likely that you are going through a personal crisis; you wish to bring yourself to a brand new start in your life. Love is something that feels unreachable for you, and it is very likely that you are in love with someone that is with a friend of yours.

I suppose I went through a phase like that back in school. Now I just have a thing for pixies.

Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 20:30
^Trespass touched me deeply I think I first heard it in 1978 or '79.  Middle school to high scool.

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Wind and Wuthering. 

Me too, and by the way we are going 4-4 right now with Selling, which is also amongst my first Genesis albums to add to my collection.  Big smile

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 20:40
I guess i'm the first with Nursery Cryme. 

Challenging society is what you are all about. One of your deepest desires is to break free from social norms. You dislike having your passions restrained, especially when it comes to romance. It is likely that in your life people you loved, especially friends, have passed on or moved on in their lives, and you miss them terribly. To escape your sorrows, you relish in humor, and the more ridiculous it is the better. You have a generally cynical attitude towards life; you do not think that your elders are considering you. Sometimes in moments of despair you can go to extreme measures, wishing yourself away, and people have misunderstood you because of your actions. Fate is something you strongly believe in.

Pretty damn close. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 20:47
I got Wind & Wuthering. Nothing wrong with this as I adore this album.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 20:48
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

^Trespass touched me deeply I think I first heard it in 1978 or '79.  Middle school to high scool.

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Wind and Wuthering. 

Me too, and by the way we are going 4-4 right now with Selling, which is also amongst my first Genesis albums to add to my collection.  Big smile

Ha, you had a better introduction than I, Slarti, my first Genesis album was 3 sides live!!  Embarrassed

Fun poll, man

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 20:54
true to my gemini personality--I had two answers to every question--so when I took the test I got SEBTP--which makes a lot more sense to meLOL

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 20:56
I got `Trick', and I think it got me pretty right!

"They say that the pen is mightier than the sword. This is the case with you. Storytelling is a natural gift of yours, for you most likely love to write, or tell others stories. Your mind is a deep well of imagination and intense emotions. Whenever you are faced with a setback, you try to think rationally about things, despite the fact your emotions might gnaw away at you. You have a fiery personality, and people look up to you. Even though people look up to you, deep down you are very shy and don't like to have the limelight. You are fine with half-hiding."

Defintely some of that I can see!

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 22:48
Trick for me too

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 23:09
Wind and Wuthering; dark and moody:)

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: April 16 2014 at 23:57
I vacillated on a couple of those, so I took it twice. First time I got Lamb and second W&W. Lamb is my favorite by them, and I actually haven't heard the other yet. 

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 03:50
Voted Trespass this time.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 04:01
I don't think this is working as people (^) are voting! doh!

I came out as Foxtrot, which is good as along with Lamb is my favourite Genesis.

Anyway, THIS IS NOT A POLL people of PA!!!

(Then I came out as Freddy Krueger lol)

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 04:06
Wow, it got all that from like 4 questions? Tongue

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 04:26
I'm a Foxtrot. Best news all I've had day. It's quite good, makes me seem a bit goody-two-boots but ... Supper is ready...Bowdown

You are generally lost in a time long gone (oh yes). Honor, valor, and dignity are the things that you value (um. well... actually...). Chivalry is not dead, it will come back someday (Ya think?). It brings sorrow to you when humanity destroys the environment. (Sorrow? Ok that will do for now, but we are on track). You wish to go back to another time, when people loved honor more than life itself. (Banzai?) Anything that is a trend, current, leaves you feeling cynical (Nail on head....). You believe that humanity will find a way to control their evolution (Kobaia). You sympathise with people that fell from leadership, and it is quite likely that royalty and rulers fascinate you. (Assassinations were a child hood interest). To you, good will always triumph over evil, in the most epic of ways (oh good, I'm an optimist epic will do fine).

Fun game. Cheers Slartibartfast.

Posted By: Chimaera
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 04:35
WTF?

I came out as Wind and Wuthering, for reasons I simply cannot imagine.

I'm much more Trespass or Selling England as far as the moods of the album go.

Posted By: ten years after
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 05:50
Instinctively I would say Foxtrot - a mix of science, politics and history bound together by an absurd imagination.

The quiz landed me with Trespass but I don't recognize myself at all in the description it gives (except the bit about not liking violence!!!!).

The Lamb is my favourite Genesis album BTW.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 07:15
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

Foxtrot

You are generally lost in a time long gone. Honor, valor, and dignity are the things that you value. Chivalry is not dead, it will come back someday. It brings sorrow to you when humanity destroys the environment. You wish to go back to another time, when people loved honor more than life itself. Anything that is a trend, current, leaves you feeling cynical. You believe that humanity will find a way to control their evolution. You sympathise with people that fell from leadership, and it is quite likely that royalty and rulers fascinate you. To you, good will always triumph over evil, in the most epic of ways.

That's actually pretty good, although I don't think the past was so great. That's one of the cooler quizzes ever though.
I got Foxtrot too.  I guess that's kinda me.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 07:31
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I got `Trick', and I think it got me pretty right!

"They say that the pen is mightier than the sword. This is the case with you. Storytelling is a natural gift of yours, for you most likely love to write, or tell others stories. Your mind is a deep well of imagination and intense emotions. Whenever you are faced with a setback, you try to think rationally about things, despite the fact your emotions might gnaw away at you. You have a fiery personality, and people look up to you. Even though people look up to you, deep down you are very shy and don't like to have the limelight. You are fine with half-hiding."

Defintely some of that I can see!
yup

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bequeathed" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 07:41
Why not the 1973 live album which is pretty damn fab by my reckoning?

-------------

Posted By: bloodnarfer
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 09:23
I got the Lamb which is actually kinda spot on, even if I don't get stressed very often at all anymore (but when I do, its nuts)

You are on a journey to finding your identity and place in this world. In times of stress, you become very anxious. The surreal fascinates you and you like to explore the inner worlds within people’s minds. Behind the tough exterior and barrier you put between yourself and others is a person that feels vulnerable. Humanity in an urban setting appears careless to you and you much prefer people that are honest. Family is ultimately important to you, for you stand up for them and you are particularly close with a sibling. Sometimes, when you are pushed to the edge, you tend to take stress out on yourself.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ramza1316" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/user/ramza1316
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845

Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 11:28
Well, no '80's Genesis, but also no And Then There Were Threes, wonder if the poll designer even made that one an option...

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 11:43
ATTWT..

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 12:17
Trespass. Great album, but the one-size-fits-all psychobable "horoscope" nonsense that quiz puked up in response is a load of tosh.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 12:19
Of course they are, especially with the questions they ask. But still!

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 15:07
I got Nursery Cryme. Challenging society is what you are all about. One of your deepest desires is to break free from social norms. You dislike having your passions restrained, especially when it comes to romance. It is likely that in your life people you loved, especially friends, have passed on or moved on in their lives, and you miss them terribly. To escape your sorrows, you relish in humor, and the more ridiculous it is the better. You have a generally cynical attitude towards life; you do not think that your elders are considering you. Sometimes in moments of despair you can go to extreme measures, wishing yourself away, and people have misunderstood you because of your actions. Fate is something you strongly believe in.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 15:35

oops here's the link 

Honestly, I thought you were drunk when you made this poll. You had two albums spelled wrong and the OP made no sense.LOL

Even the way it was I felt like voting for ATOTT. After the quiz I became ATOTT.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 16:51
I got Wind and Wuthering. The description was rather spot on actually.
Fun game Tongue

Posted By: genbanks
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 17:09
Just Great! and funny of course, thanks

I'm Wind & Wuthering, and it's ok. One of the top 5 Genesis albums for me (with SEBP, Foxtrot, A trick and Shapes), but for today is the one I listen more. Dark, romantic, with many stories, melancholic, epic, and with One for the vine, and Afterglow.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 17:26
Originally posted by Chimaera Chimaera wrote:

WTF?

I came out as Wind and Wuthering, for reasons I simply cannot imagine.

I'm much more Trespass or Selling England as far as the moods of the album go.

The fact that we even take the poll shows we are nuts. What did you expect, an I Ching reading?

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 17:34
Foxtrot, incidentally, my favorite Genesis album.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 17:40

A more accurate edit would exclude the second half of the third sentence, the fourth sentence, and last sentence, and the second to last sentence would have the same sentiment but at a milder capacity

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 19:11

Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 19:18
OK no out of the decade albums so far and one for the notorious three. Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 19:20
More Thick as a Brick than anything else.

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 19:57
I'd probably say '.....and the there were three.....' If only for the fact that I'd be the fool who would fall for the 'bait so richly wrapped'........

Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 20:06
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

I don't think this is working as people (^) are voting! doh!

I came out as Foxtrot, which is good as along with Lamb is my favourite Genesis.

Anyway, THIS IS NOT A POLL people of PA!!!

(Then I came out as Freddy Krueger lol)

I was marked as Jason Voorhees.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 20:19
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Trespass. Great album, but the one-size-fits-all psychobable "horoscope" nonsense that quiz puked up in response is <span style="line-height: 1.2;">a load of tosh.</span>

Of course it is, but it's so damned fun.      Anyone else go with the other games? Here's my new profile:

As a slasher, I am Jason Voorhees (see above).
As a religion, I am Hindu (no surprise there).
My era is biblical times, which I contest on the grounds that it is too narrowly focused for me.
As a Loony Tunes character I am Bugs Bunny (oh yeah!).
As a fairy tale character I am Rumpelstilksin (the way they describe the story actually sort of fits).
I am a true art expert and am a master geographer.
And as a 70s celebrity, I am . . . Sonny Bono?   

Yes, I am on vacation.   

-------------

Date Posted: April 17 2014 at 22:02
Live

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 02:25
Foxtrot

Clap 

Posted By: UMUR
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 02:38
I got Trespass.

You love to escape reality through fantasy. It is likely that you feel isolated from the people that you love, particularly your friends. Bound to traditional values, you stand up for what you believe in. Violence is something you particularly abhor; you think that it threatens the overall well-being of society. It is very likely that you are going through a personal crisis; you wish to bring yourself to a brand new start in your life. Love is something that feels unreachable for you, and it is very likely that you are in love with someone that is with a friend of yours.

Sounds like a freakin´ horoscope to me

-------------
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/" rel="nofollow - Metal Music Archives

https://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR" rel="nofollow - UMUR on RYM

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 06:23
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I got Trespass.

Sounds like a freakin´ horoscope to me

I got Trespass too, and the same thought came up in my head: horoscopes tend to match with you always.
It's fun, though, such a quiz.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 06:47
I got Trespass, Selling England, Foxtrot as well as Wind & Wuthering the 4 times I tried, and I was equally honest in my responses each and every timeBig smile
Humans are hard to box in, and I don't necessarily subscribe to the same ideas two times in a row.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 07:38
Can someone post the cod-horoscope for Genesis Live from the Playbuz quiz...

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 07:45
Sorry can't help there Dean, but I found everything you'd ever want to know about Bruford's horoscope, alignment to the stars and whatnot on this page: http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Bill_Bruford" rel="nofollow - http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Bill_Bruford  
....and he did play on Seconds Out and Three Sides LiveTongue

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 07:55
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Sorry can't help there Dean, but I found everything you'd ever want to know about Bruford's horoscope, alignment to the stars and whatnot on this page: http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Bill_Bruford" rel="nofollow - http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Bill_Bruford  
...that he shares a birthday with Trent Reznor, Enya, Josh Homme, Andrea Corr and Taj Mahal is interesting. Adi Amin and Craig Ferguson less so.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 07:57
Yup those are about the only real facts on that pageLOL

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 09:05
Selling England by a country mile - Is there a better symphonic prog recording?

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 09:44
....not relevant. You could read the OP and answer the damn question...

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 10:07

Can someone post the cod-horoscope for Genesis Live from the Playbuz quiz...

I suspect the poster who ventured 'Live' was being sarcastic by responding to the question just a bit too literally for his own good?Wink

-------------

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 16:34
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Got Foxtrot--but not my favorite Genesis albumConfused
Same.

-------------

Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 21:33

don't think that horoscope is accurate as it said he was 5'8" and I met him at an Earthworks concert and I am 5'8" and he was way taller than me.Tongue

Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 11:09
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Well, that is the quintessential Genesis album. Tongue

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 11:14

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Well, that is the quintessential Genesis album. Tongue

I concur. I can't think of an album I've enjoyed more from Genesis than Thick as a Brick. It is particularly good considering that Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Steve Hackett, Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford had all left the band by then.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Gryphon
Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 00:04
selling england by the pound.

such a beautiful album.

Posted By: charles_ryder
Date Posted: April 21 2014 at 06:19
Foxtrot.
But where is my favorite first album?

-------------
om mani padme hum

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 22 2014 at 01:54

...that he shares a birthday with Trent Reznor, Enya, Josh Homme, Andrea Corr and Taj Mahal is interesting. Adi Amin and Craig Ferguson less so.

and meLOL

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk