Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97969
Printed Date: April 30 2024 at 16:28
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: BS Technical Ecstasy Vs LZ Presence
Posted By: Kentucky_Hawkwindage
Subject: BS Technical Ecstasy Vs LZ Presence
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 11:27
Here we have 2 controversial albums both released in 1976 by rock giants Black Sabbath & Led Zeppelin. Both albums consistantly get mixed and even bad reviews.I will vote for Black Sabbath TE as i'd rather listen to it song for song.I will say in my opinion that Led Zeps Achilles Last Stand is the best track of either album though.

-------------
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me

Replies:
Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 11:46
Although Presence has a few killer tracks it's definitely Technical Ecstasy for me, I never thought it was uninspired as people make it to be.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 11:46
Presence is my 2nd favorite Zeppelin album, I've always loved it to bits.  I'm fairly new to TE but this is a no-brainer for me.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 11:49
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Although Presence has a few killer tracks it's definitely Technical Ecstasy for me, I never thought it was uninspired as people make it to be.

Myself i've enjoyed TE immensley over the years.The album as a very special place in my heart.In fact it's the only picture disc i ever bought.Dirty Women,It's Alright & You Won't Change Me are indeed special links to my past.I'm just now beginning to get into Presence after all these years,but there are only about 4 tracks i can handle at this point.Achilles is awesome though!Tea for One ain't bad either.

-------------
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me

Posted By: sukmytoe
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 11:58
TE is not up to the standard of any of the previous Black Sabbath albums but I've always enjoyed it as it is a good album in any event. TE for me easily. 

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 11:59
Easily Presence for me. Love the sound and a huge Zep fan Tongue Only really like the early BS albums (pretty much goes downhill chronologically to be honest)

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 12:09
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Presence is my 2nd favorite Zeppelin album, I've always loved it to bits.  I'm fairly new to TE but this is a no-brainer for me.

Yeah I'm with you man.  Presence is a classic that just gets better the more I revisit it.  To me it is their last worthwhile moment, live or studio, as they began to deteriorate fast in '77.  But what a swan song it is.  Totally rockin, muscular, and consistent.  Epic songs, bluesy songs, every track makes ya wanna groove. 

-------------

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 13:31
Presence is just as good as anything else Led Zep ever did

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 13:57
Presence is my least favourite Zep studio album, but I still like it. I haven't heard that Black Sabbath album.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 14:42
Sabbath > Zeppelin anytime, anyplace.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 15:01
Presence by far. A couple of killer tracks in Achilles Last Stand and In My Time of Dying beat anything off TE IMO.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 15:19
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

Presence by far. A couple of killer tracks in Achilles Last Stand and In My Time of Dying beat anything off TE IMO.

I agree with you friend that In My Time Of Dying is awesome,but i do believe it's from Physical Graffiti...

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 15:27
What a coincidence, I've heard that Sabbath album on a rock radio today

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 22:12
It's been a looong time since I've listened to Presence, and I haven't got Technical Ecstasy yet. However, even though I don't remember Presence to have anything interesting besides Achilles Last Stand, that song alone makes the album worth having, and I'd be really surprised if Ecstasy had anything even remotley as good.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 23:04
OOOps lol my bad! Presence still kicks TE's ass.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 23:48
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I am one of those who find TE uninspired except for three tracks: Back Street Kids, All Moving Parts Stand Still, and It's Alright. The latter two are untypical of Sabbath, which is why I find them appealing. The rest of it just sounds like warmed over outtakes from Sabotage phoned in through a haze of alcohol & drugs. Presence is rather uneven for me but Achilles' Last Stand is powerful enough to carry the rest of the album. One of Zeppelin's finest moments.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 02:10
Presence gets my vote, although TE is a very good album, and I don't really understand the dislike for it. I think it's far better than Never Say Die.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 03:54
It's a tough call, but count me in for Sabbath, by a hair.....

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 05:50
Techincal Ecstasy contains much more interesting songs but there is 'Achilles Last Stand' on Presence, so no vote.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: snowsnow
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 10:04
Presence by a fair bit - it has 3 belters:

Achillies
Tea for one
Nobody's fault but mine ( my fav track - great track to get the blood pumping!)

Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 10:10
Me as being the original poster,just making an observation here.The poll is going as i expected with Led Zep in the lead,but on the other hand TE is hanging in there doing better that i actually expected. Thanks for everyone's input & vote's so far.

-------------

Posted By: Prog 74
Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 08:49
Interesting poll.  Two okay albums showing each band in decline.  I've never really liked either one, but feel that Presence is a little better than TE. 

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 10:57
I read somewhere that Page always liked Presence the best of the ones they did.....you'd think he would have chosen 4 or Physical Graffiti. Interesting.....

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 14:03
Originally posted by snowsnow snowsnow wrote:

Presence by a fair bit - it has 3 belters:
Achillies
Tea for one
Nobody's fault but mine ( my fav track - great track to get the blood pumping!)

Oh yeah, I remember enjoying "Tea for one" too. On the other side, I have not been able to warm up to "Nobody's fault but mine"... at least not the album version, though the live version on the "Unledded" album is really wonderful and I love it.

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 19:07

Led Zeppelin Presence

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: April 21 2014 at 08:48
I prefer Sabbath over Zeppelin in general.
But TE is my least favourite  Ozzy Sab album.
Presence has my favourite Zep tune in Achilles.
So in this poll, Presence it is. 

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: April 21 2014 at 16:25

Posted By: Bitterblogger
Date Posted: April 22 2014 at 17:42
I'm surprised Presence isn't ahead by more. Technical is really a bore overall.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: April 23 2014 at 01:28
I find both albums to be great. Never did understand why everyone gets in line to join the negative.

The only beef I have with Technical Ecstasy is the ballad She's Gone. Ballads are not really a good idea for Ozzy's voice (best as demented howl set against the huge Sabbath harmony structures and wall of sound, a bit like, er, audio graffiti. With She's Gone the strings bog it down - a bit like the strong Arrnagemnts on Steve Howe's Beginnings. A ligter touch perhaps and used sparingly.

It's Alright was a pleasant surprise with Bill Ward demonstrating his reasonable baritone. Black abbath being daring, progressive and not settling for a formula (remake Master Of Reality endlessly), all courtesy of Tony Iommi.

Presence also gets a hard time. Achilles is greta, Nody's Fault has such a killer guitar sound. The laid back but intense desperation underlying the intent of Tea For One are the obvious points. But the rhthm section really comes to the fore on the catch him out playfulness of Royal Orleans. Candy Store Rock is 50s rock and Roll updated (sic) in the 1970s and Hots On For Nowhere catches some internal Zeppelin strife lyrically but has a certain urgency and dignity naking it anothe runique number. For Your Life is the heavy blues number with yet another out standing solo from JP. Monumental album recorded quickly and under duress.

I did read recently that many of the tracks are criticised as great hook / riff numbers in search of a tune which is the clsoest I have really found as to a reasonable is negative analysis as aoposed to the rhetorical negative views.

Maybe this is really Page's first solo album with his band members' guesting (given that the only writing really comes from him and RP.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk