Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97973
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 12:22
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Actually Good Modern Pop Songs
Posted By: Slartibartfast
Subject: Actually Good Modern Pop Songs
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 19:31
I grew up on pop music and singles.  I don't really pay much attention to pop these days, but still it's out there and what I do get wind of smells really bad.  The first one I've heard in a long time that I think is pretty good is Pharrell Williams - Happy.

Here's a good parody -

http://v5.player.abacast.com/v5.1/player/index.php?uid=6294&popupurl=http%3A%2F%2Ffilesource.abacast.com%2Freachmediainc%2F022114%2FHIT0221.mp3" rel="nofollow - http://v5.player.abacast.com/v5.1/player/index.php?uid=6294&popupurl=http%3A%2F%2Ffilesource.abacast.com%2Freachmediainc%2F022114%2FHIT0221.mp3

Sure it's a bit repetitive, but...

Feel free to share if you have any other worthy candidates out there.

Replies:
Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 19:57
Are you serious ???

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 20:04
I dislike that song honestly but i've heard some things i've liked.

First off - Gotye. 
Gotye is a brilliant artist and i love his albums. Making Mirrors was his breakthrough with the colossal hit, Somebody That I Used To Know. That song is great, especially if you haven't overplayed it yet, but other songs on that album and his discog are good too.

(All on the same album, those being personal favorites)

Lorde's Royals is great, especially a more stripped down version she performs live. 

And finally, Foster the People. Their album Torches, is fabulous. Great, quality, pop music. I'll avoid posting it for the sake of video overload, but they're mainly famous for the big hit, Pumped Up Kicks.

Some electronic influences without the dubstep annoyances, and some light psych flavor. Cool video too. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 20:36
I was looking for a Lorde video to post but you beat me too it. Approve

I really liked Walk Off The Earth's cover of Someone That I Used To Know.

Anyway... this is catchy and poppy: Imagine Dragons "Radioactive" (a bit dubsteppy, sorry), the video is a bit corny but features Lou Diamond Philips (so not all bad)

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 20:50
Yea that Grammy's performance is stellar. Much better than the original, but that's good too of course. I've listened to her album once, but it was a while ago and it was mainly in the background while i cleaned - i should revisit. 

Imagine Dragons is catchy but they get old quick. Once you've heard it once or twice, i get bored..

-------------

Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 20:57
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Are you serious ???

You're unhappy aren't you?  Are you a man who's growing boobs??? Tongue

Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 20:58
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Are you serious ???

Maybe..

-------------

Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 21:04
When I jumped off the pop train onto the full on prog train Feels So Good by Chuck Mangione and Follow You Follow Me were getting a lot of radio play.  They helped grease the tracks as it were. Big smile 

The first Gotye video was really good.  I'm guessing that's not getting a lot of airplay in the US. hahahaha.

Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 21:07

The first Gotye video was really good.  I'm guessing that's not getting a lot of airplay in the US. hahahaha.

Can't tell if trolling or not. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 21:15
Then you don't know me very well...

The only radio I ever listen to is what is considered an "urban" station.  And that's due to my wife. Big smile

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 21:18
I still can't tell... 

LOL

If you're not. That song blew up, and currently it has 500 million views on YouTube. I think the extent it controlled US media has been only topped by the all-powerful Psy with Gangmauamamamam Style. 

-------------

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 21:20
Here is some recent synth pop/electropop type stuff that I think is good. I can't guarantee anyone will share my opinion.

Purity Ring:

CHVRCHES:

Perfume:

FKA twigs:

Posted By: Kentucky_Hawkwindage
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 21:26

Are you serious ???

-------------
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me

Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 02:41

I didn't realise you'd never heard Goyte, you might appreciate this cover then:

-------------
What?

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 02:56
http://brownswoodrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/offering-for-anxious" rel="nofollow - Diggs Duke was released the most original art pop / soul album in 2013.

Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 04:10
Ah crap. Svetonio's discovered this thread. Ouch

Oh well, it was fun for a while.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 04:20
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Imagine Dragons is catchy but they get old quick. Once you've heard it once or twice, i get bored..

Yeah, that's true (I bought the album and never got past the second play). 'Radioactive' is another song I first heard as a YouTube cover (hip-hop violinist Lindsey Stirling and an a cappella band) another of those 500 million-hit vids.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 04:53

Are you serious ???
How did you know ?? I'm beggin' ya', please don't tell anyone.......
No, really - I work in a grocery store where the latest hits are constantly churned out ad-nauseum, and there may be a brief passage that could be jammed out to be something cool, but overall, the quality of most of these modern hits is pretty low........
........thankfully I hear some decent things like acceptable hits from Gabriel, Genesis/Collins, Yes, Asia, Chicago, Zeppelin etc.   
There is a total RUBBISH song from Jessica Mauboy - who chants "fill me up, fill me up.." - well, if she was hot then I'd oblige.............

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 05:05
There are a lot of modern prog bands that sound pop. One of them is Fractal Mirror.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 05:17
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

There are a lot of modern prog bands that sound pop. One of them is Fractal Mirror.
On the latest Spock's Beard album there is a song titled 'Submerged'. It really does have 'hit' written all over it but will never become one because it's Spock's Beard..........
......it's still sounds like a Prog band attempting to sound accessible. Same goes for Big Big Train's 'Make Some Noise'.......       Still too Prog to be a popular hit........

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 05:19

Are you serious ???
No, really - I work in a grocery store where the latest hits are constantly churned out ad-nauseum, and there may be a brief passage that could be jammed out to be something cool, but overall, the quality of most of these modern hits is pretty low........
........thankfully I hear some decent things like acceptable hits from Gabriel, Genesis/Collins, Yes, Asia, Chicago, Zeppelin etc.   
There is a total RUBBISH song from Jessica Mauboy - who chants "fill me up, fill me up.." - well, if she was hot then I'd oblige.............

Yeah, I was in disbelief when I heard that song, I was thinking `It can't be that blatant, can it....?'

Then again, I noticed that `One Direction' song that was played about a million times everywhere had some line about `Tonight let's GET SOME...and live while we're young', and I thought `Wow, that's unusually direct for a boy group being sold to kids...'

Ticks me off a little when it's only really young girls that listen to that crap, and here's these sexually suggestive songs that give them all sorts of bad encouragement.

And yeah, Jess Mauboy's barely hot...the kind of girl I'd prefer to have as a friend, I think!

Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 05:23
I always thought it was 'tonight lets get stoned, and live while we're young'.........
Oh, the curse of the corrupted mind......................2 decades later and still 'out there'..........

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 05:31
Oh, but they're good boys I'm sure, Tom! Good looking bunch of lads like that with the world at their feet, surely they wouldn't be doing drugs and taking advantage of pretty young willing girls?!

Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 05:47
Though their music at times gets rather shticky, I quite like Crystal Castles' second album because how much it sounds like it comes from some neon-lit rain-drenched dystopian future.

I have also recently been getting into Warpaint. Has the same type of relaxing dreaminess and otherworldly feel as Cocteau Twins just with much more conventional vocals.

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 11:15
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

One more http://grupati.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - pop album  for your pleasure. Top quality release.

I hope that you'll give it a listen.

Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 11:18

Are you serious ???

Er me gerd, you have my sympathy.  I worked in a used and new bookstore in high school that wasn't part of chain.  Many I night I had control of the music. Big smile  I did play mellow prog stuff though that I though would be conducive to book browsing and I think I only got one complaint.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 11:33
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

CHVRCHES:
Chvrches is good stuff. 

+Janelle Monae

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: April 22 2014 at 03:17
It's not quite "good" but I kinda like Wide Awake by Katy Perry. That vocal hook, with the overdub, I dunno man. It's kinda emotional and stuff.

What else... I assume we're just talking popular / top 40 type stuff. Either way, Fountains of Wayne are a good band.

Posted By: AlexDOM
Date Posted: April 22 2014 at 10:26
I think Katy Perry puts out good stuff!
On the first page I saw some put up a video of Perfume!
Yes, they are the best! Awesome electro J Pop. I like them almost as much as prog!

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 22 2014 at 22:35
Hmmm...good modern pop songs....?
I'll ask my granddaughter.

Wink

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: April 23 2014 at 02:34

Posted By: twseel
Date Posted: April 23 2014 at 03:57
forgiv me pls

-------------

Date Posted: April 23 2014 at 05:36

I grew up on pop music and singles.  I don't really pay much attention to pop these days, but still it's out there and what I do get wind of smells really bad.  The first one I've heard in a long time that I think is pretty good is Pharrell Williams - Happy.

Here's a good parody -

http://v5.player.abacast.com/v5.1/player/index.php?uid=6294&popupurl=http%3A%2F%2Ffilesource.abacast.com%2Freachmediainc%2F022114%2FHIT0221.mp3" rel="nofollow - http://v5.player.abacast.com/v5.1/player/index.php?uid=6294&popupurl=http%3A%2F%2Ffilesource.abacast.com%2Freachmediainc%2F022114%2FHIT0221.mp3

Sure it's a bit repetitive, but...

Feel free to share if you have any other worthy candidates out there.

Happy is a great pop song. Thanks for posting!

Date Posted: April 24 2014 at 02:01
I'd like to recommend Hidden Beauty EP by http://karakersey.bandcamp.com/album/hidden-beauty" rel="nofollow - Ka'Ra Karsey

Date Posted: April 24 2014 at 02:29
is it at all possible that you confine bandcamp pop songs to the bandcamp thread?

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 24 2014 at 03:02

is it at all possible that you confine bandcamp pop songs to the bandcamp thread?

There's not such a thing as "bandcamp pop", because Bandcamp is not a record label, as e.g. Epitaph Records, Hyperdub, La-La Land Records and so on; Bandcamp is a service for the artists and the buyers (fans), and for the record labels too, e.g. MoonJune Records.

Date Posted: April 24 2014 at 04:45
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

There's not such a thing as "bandcamp pop", because Bandcamp is not a record label, as e.g. Epitaph Records, Hyperdub, La-La Land Records and so on; Bandcamp is a service for the artists and the buyers (fans), and for the record labels too, e.g. MoonJune Records.
Okay, I'll be more specific:

Is it at all possible that you confine all bandcamp "recommendations" to the bandcamp thread?

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 24 2014 at 05:19
^^ I didn't do nothing against the site rules if I used the Bandcamp links - in this thread - in order to recommend some modern pop. Also, I don't understand your point,  i.e. why YouTube embedded videos would be welcome, but Bandcamp links wouldn't. Nevermind. Cheers, Dean.

----

I'd like to recomend the britpop band http://kristaliband.bandcamp.com/album/samo-bluz" rel="nofollow - Kristali from Belgrade, Serbia. 

Date Posted: April 24 2014 at 05:58
*sigh*

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 25 2014 at 05:46

LOL

I like the song and that is helped in no small way that I haven't been over exposed to it as I don't listen to radio anymore. Smile

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: April 28 2014 at 14:52
I stumbled across Bat For Lashes a few years back but not sure if this could be considered 'pop'

Date Posted: April 29 2014 at 04:07
Crispy from the owen & strongly recommended: http://eyetherealist.bandcamp.com/album/from-truth-and-time" rel="nofollow - From Truth And Time by female fronted band EYE THE REALIST from Long Beach, California. 

Date Posted: May 02 2014 at 02:15
A beautiful contemporary pop with hints of Krautrock: http://nowtheband.bandcamp.com/album/frisbee-hotpot" rel="nofollow - Frisbee Hot Pot by British band Now.

Quote Now's debut album (2006) 
SIMON LEWIS, PTOLEMAIC TERRASCOPE 
‘On their latest album Frisbee Hotpot, the seven-piece band Now are joined by a whole army of percussionist whose combined skills fill out the sound of the songs completely, no more so than on the opening track “Abominatrx” which build from pop song to street carnival in a delicious manner and will definitely get you feet moving. Elsewhere there is a Talking Heads/Eno groove to the songs with the bass-lines becoming central to the song, with the musicians playing tightly together, creating tension, whilst retaining a loose feel, (a good trick if you can do it). Throughout the band are not afraid to experiment with different rhthyms, the vocals telling stories, and the well-rehearsed grooves allowing the other instruments plenty of room to improvise, bringing to mind bands such as Rollerball, Caravan, and The Comsat Angels, although these are mere echoes to be found in a collection of original and high quality songs.’

Date Posted: May 02 2014 at 02:27
I don't particularly like this guy's material, but Jack Johnson can play.........

Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 04:45
"Melodic music from the cathedral city of Canterbury. Songs about animals, football, French pop, US pop, cakes and tea parties.."  http://picturebox.bandcamp.com/album/holidays" rel="nofollow - Holidays  by Picturebox  

I like this stuff.

Posted By: sankalp1989
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 00:13
chasing the sun- The Wanted

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 00:04

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 06:50
I would prefer this thread be about actually popular songs and delving into mainstream artists we'd normally assume have nothing worthwhile. No one wants bandcamp recs that vaguely fit "pop", especially 20 of them.

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 07:17
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

I would prefer this thread be about actually popular songs and delving into mainstream artists we'd normally assume have nothing worthwhile. No one wants bandcamp recs that vaguely fit "pop", especially 20 of them.
Please feel free to consider your breath as having been wasted. He will not listen.

-------------
What?

Posted By: aliano
Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 08:02
I like this:

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 14:36

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 14:46

I actually liked this on the radio, even though it sounds like a The Police rip-off Big smile

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 14:50
o_0

-------------

Posted By: ClemofNazareth
Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 18:20
Not in the current charts, but Tracyanne Campbell writes some really gorgeous British pop, I think she probably grew up on a lot of Nick Lowe and Al Stewart.

-------------
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus

Date Posted: May 30 2014 at 13:55
"California native Shaye Taylor is a 19-year-old keyboardist and songwriter with a sultry voice and signature style. Shaye has participated and placed in numerous music competitions around Southern California, including the SoCal Live Music Competition, Inland Empire Music Awards and MT SAC Battle of the Bands."

Date Posted: May 31 2014 at 11:32
^ Pop stars have to stick to vocals only.  If you can actually play an instrument well you are disqualified. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: June 03 2014 at 08:10
^ Exactomundo! LOL

"Chasing Daylight is the new folk-pop duo in South Africa, comprising singer/songwriter KrissTel and producer/guitarist Jake Odendaal. Multiple SAMA- as well as Tempo nominated KrissTel has her roots in Gospel, in perfect synergy with multiple SAMA nominated Jake (Best producer  |  Best engineer). He has produced artists of the caliber of Joe Niemand, John Ellis (Tree63), Elvis Blue and Joe Foster, he has travelled, both locally and internationally, with various artists, for over 15 years. 
A vision for making an authentic brand of music, true to themselves, coincided in a meeting of their paths. Chasing Daylight was born.
Chasing Daylight blends raw, heartfelt, honest music that chooses to keep the character of their emotive delivery true – no studio trickery."

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: June 03 2014 at 12:52
Would you classify Muse, Mumford & Sons, or Daft Punk as pop? I'm a fan of them, and believe they have released some good music.

Also Phillip Phillips who won American Idol a year or two ago did some good performances on the show. I haven't heard any of his music since then though.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Date Posted: June 03 2014 at 13:03
Phil Phillip's sound and performance style is a giant ripoff of Dave Matthews, 

-------------

Date Posted: June 03 2014 at 19:02

Doesn't make his music bad, unless you can't stand Dave Matthews of course.

Every good prog band is not necessarily an original one.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Date Posted: June 03 2014 at 19:21
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Ermm Prog Rock is the one genre where every good prog band is necessarily an original one.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: June 04 2014 at 10:48

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Ermm Prog Rock is the one genre where every good prog band is necessarily an original one.

And original prog rock bands are necessarily good.

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: June 04 2014 at 11:13
He won American Idol this year, so maybe this would qualify.

LOL

I know that Coldplay are a love 'em or hate 'em kind of band around these parts, but I do like their latest single.

-------------

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: June 04 2014 at 11:55
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

He won American Idol this year, so maybe this would qualify.

LOL

I know that Coldplay are a love 'em or hate 'em kind of band around these parts, but I do like their latest single.

well, at least SOMEBODY on that damn show knows some good music (though something from 76-78 would be WAY much better, but oh well)

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: June 04 2014 at 15:01
^Coldplay's Viva la whatever was the last pop song I actually listed to and liked. I only heard it a few times but I have a feeling that it's probably like chewing gum, the flavor won't stick around too long.

Date Posted: July 11 2014 at 14:27

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: July 28 2014 at 07:15

I absolutely love that song too - a great summer tune Cool.

Posted By: Nick Dilley
Date Posted: July 29 2014 at 17:25
Love Kyary:

-------------
Progging the Rock, Rocking the Prog.

soundcloud.com/withinareverie

withinareverie.blogspot.com

facebook.com/withinareverie

Twitter: @WithinaReverie

Posted By: catfood03
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 23:03
Hooray For Earth

Posted By: Asplane
Date Posted: August 12 2014 at 15:00

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: August 12 2014 at 15:02
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

I absolutely love that song too - a great summer tune Cool.
I've been really enjoying Weird Al's parody called Tacky. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: September 05 2015 at 21:54
Any Lindsey Stirling fans around here?  Just watched her live London DVD and found the combination of melodic violin, electronic pop, and choreography to be great fun.  The concept dance pieces reminded me a little of the tour of life, with violin featured in lieu of voice.  My better half plays violin and was stunned at how Lindsey could play difficult passages while jumping all over the place. 

-------------

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: September 05 2015 at 22:02
Don't know if this counts, but I have had a very tough time trying to dislodge Elle King's "Ex's & Oh's" from my cranium.  That plunger-bop beat and distinctive voice are just so damn infectious.  It doesn't even make any difference that she's the spawn of Rob Schneider.

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: September 05 2015 at 23:00
My daughter took me to a Hozier concert a couple of weeks ago. Never heard of the guy. Played some interesting things and was quite good. But my ears perked up when heard him playing this in drop D tuning. I thought to myself, "Good God, this is a Skip James blues tune!" The crowd, made up of mostly teenagers, more than likely had no idea the song was first recorded in 1931. They clapped loudly just the same.

Hozier also played a nice version of Van Morrison's Sweet Sing:

Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: September 06 2015 at 03:53
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Any Lindsey Stirling fans around here?  Just watched her live London DVD and found the combination of melodic violin, electronic pop, and choreography to be great fun.  The concept dance pieces reminded me a little of the tour of life, with violin featured in lieu of voice.  My better half plays violin and was stunned at how Lindsey could play difficult passages while jumping all over the place. 
I kinda like what she does but I'm not a fan per se, her performances are good but they are greater than the sum of her playing, dancing and, it has to be said, cuteness. Also her choice of music is generally not my cup of tea (her cover of Imagine Dragon's Radioactive ... see page 1 of this thread ... is perhaps the only one I've actually liked but it's not as good as the original). 

I prefer Emilie Autumn, Anna Phoebe and our very own Cyndee Lee Rule. While none of them combine music and dance, I think they are better violinists and play music that is more to my tastes, and for me music tops dancing any day of the week.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: September 06 2015 at 06:22

Tales From The Magic Sun

by  http://louislake.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow -

http://louislake.bandcamp.com/album/tales-from-the-magic-sun-2" rel="nofollow - http://louislake.bandcamp.com/album/tales-from-the-magic-sun-2

Date Posted: September 06 2015 at 06:30
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

-------------
What?

Date Posted: September 06 2015 at 07:23
Cukr / Bábel 
by

http://janchor.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Lukáš Grygar

http://janchor.bandcamp.com/album/cukr-b-bel" rel="nofollow - http://janchor.bandcamp.com/album/cukr-b-bel  (name your price)

Date Posted: September 06 2015 at 07:45
Okay, so the bandcamp carpet-bombing continues. Disapprove 

Yet another thread were we are forced to go elsewhere and leave you to do whatever compels you to break every interesting thread there is with your inconsiderate behaviour. Dead

-------------
What?

Date Posted: September 06 2015 at 09:54
@ Dean.....

Listening to Laced/Unlaced right now, thanks for the picksBig smile

We both agree with your assessment of Lindsey, it is a bit precious and that she is not the worlds greatest player or songwriter.  But I was able to drop my guard and go with it.  She's not trying to be deep, she's trying to entertain the masses with accessible pop.  With regard to her technical ability, Heather basically agreed with you, but she said...paraphrase...yes, she's not the best player by any means, not even close...but let them (the best) try to play while dancing like she does! 

I also like the mix of her style with the beats...not something I'd play often but it is invigorating sometimes to have that little kick in the arse. 

This Laced album is pretty sweet.  I'll try the others you mentioned too.

-------------

Date Posted: September 06 2015 at 10:26
Quote http://bandcamp.com/evanwitt?from=fanthanks" rel="nofollow - Evan Witt  Awesome music from awesome people.

Sleep Talk EP
by
Signals.

http://signalsuk.bandcamp.com/album/sleep-talk-ep" rel="nofollow - http://signalsuk.bandcamp.com/album/sleep-talk-ep

Squere Wheels EP

http://signalsuk.bandcamp.com/album/square-wheels-ep" rel="nofollow - http://signalsuk.bandcamp.com/album/square-wheels-ep

http://www.saintnovember.com/signals" rel="nofollow -  

Facial Furniture EP

http://signalsuk.bandcamp.com/album/facial-furniture-ep" rel="nofollow - http://signalsuk.bandcamp.com/album/facial-furniture-ep

Quote http://bandcamp.com/evanwitt?from=fanthanks" rel="nofollow - Evan Witt  Ellie Price's vocals are out of control and perfectly match the band's math rock sound. The instruments sweep while Price bounds lyrically, twinged with a beautiful ache her mesmerizing voice will put you on your rear. Favorite track: Constructions.

Posted By: Disparate Times
Date Posted: September 06 2015 at 11:34

*sigh*

The battle is futile, you said it best...

Nuke

Date Posted: September 06 2015 at 12:17

LEVV

http://levvmusic.com/" rel="nofollow - http://levvmusic.com/

Date Posted: September 06 2015 at 12:47
Originally posted by Disparate Times Disparate Times wrote:

*sigh*

Nuke

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL 

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: September 06 2015 at 13:05

*sigh*

Nuke

Each Svetonio post makes me hate Bandcamp more....Spam generates hate.

But Dean, just sing with me with a dedication to Svetonio

We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
Never did and never will
We're not gonna take it
Gonna break it
Gonna shake it
Let's forget it better still

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: September 06 2015 at 13:26
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

*sigh*

Nuke

Each Svetonio post makes me hate Bandcamp more....Spam generates hate.

But Dean, just sing with me with a dedication to Svetonio

We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
Never did and never will
We're not gonna take it
Gonna break it
Gonna shake it
Let's forget it better still

Iván
Okey Ivan, okey... yes, I know you want something from recent Serbian pop-folk production. Voila!

Date Posted: September 06 2015 at 13:35

We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
Never did and never will
We're not gonna take it
Gonna break it
Gonna shake it
Let's forget you better still

-------------

Date Posted: September 06 2015 at 14:02

We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
Never did and never will
We're not gonna take it
Gonna break it
Gonna shake it

Oh, you will  take this...Wink

That's the music what you call the pop music, isn't? I understand you, this is not from Bandcamp where everybody could release an album, what a shame... 

Date Posted: September 06 2015 at 17:02

What an unpleasant and nasty little threat. Dead

If ever proof was needed that your compulsion to post videos has nothing to do with the selfless altruistic promotion of up and coming artists then your brattish behaviour here is more than enough evidence. 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: September 06 2015 at 20:14
Anna Phoebe is an absolute delight, thank you Dean.  Need to get a CD one day.

-------------

Posted By: Komandant Shamal
Date Posted: September 06 2015 at 21:46
thanx @ Svet for that Signals.' stuff, quite amazing.
An hour ago i found this very good modern pop video:

Summersett - Big Sneeze [performing Patricia Summerset] Smile 

Date Posted: September 06 2015 at 22:07

If ever proof was needed that your compulsion to post videos has nothing to do with the selfless altruistic promotion of up and coming artists then your brattish behaviour here is more than enough evidence. 

Don't worry, not worth it.

The good things is that he gives me names of bands I will never listen and tell my friends not to listen.

We should inform the bands that they need to thank Svetonio

-------------

Date Posted: September 07 2015 at 01:13

The good things is that he gives me names of bands I will never listen and tell my friends not to listen.

We should inform the bands that they need to thank Svetonio

Date Posted: September 07 2015 at 02:21

It is futile that is for sure Iván, but it is always worth standing up to internet thuggery and obnoxious behaviour.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: September 07 2015 at 03:52
^ you could always create a distraction thread in hopes of keeping your thread clean for a while, you know 'suggest good Serbian music' or 'music no body knows or cares to know'

Date Posted: September 07 2015 at 04:09

^ you could always create a distraction thread in hopes of keeping your thread clean for a while, you know 'suggest good Serbian music' or 'music no body knows or cares to know'
You mean like the Bandcamp Recommendations thread and the The Yugoslavian Appreciation Liar? Can't see that working myself LOL

-------------
What?

Date Posted: September 07 2015 at 05:50

You mean like the Bandcamp Recommendations thread and the The Yugoslavian Appreciation Liar? Can't see that working myself LOL

Yeah you're right even an overload of them probably would have little impact, the only other option i have is creating a secret language in which members could continue conversing on a just for fun thread
At that point we could call this place svetonio archives

Date Posted: September 07 2015 at 09:56

We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
Never did and never will
We're not gonna take it
Gonna break it
Gonna shake it

That's the music what you call the pop music, isn't? I understand you, this is not from Bandcamp where everybody could release an album, what a shame... 

The title of this thread is "Actually Good Modern Pop Songs". How in the world do you consider this derivative tripe "good" by any stretch of the imagination? Tired drum machines, model-singer-wannabe with farm animals, vacuous lyricism, same trite video dance moves done to death since the invention of MTV.

I question your taste, and perhaps your sanity.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: September 07 2015 at 10:49
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
Never did and never will
We're not gonna take it
Gonna break it
Gonna shake it

The title of this thread is "Actually Good Modern Pop Songs". How in the world do you consider this derivative tripe "good" by any stretch of the imagination? Tired drum machines, model-singer-wannabe with farm animals, vacuous lyricism, same trite video dance moves done to death since the invention of MTV.

I question your taste, and perhaps your sanity.
Actually, it's a very sad thing that you didn't realized that 1) my above posts adressed to Ivan are supposed to be the jokes in the very specific contest of our little debate 2) those videos are in fact very professionally exectued "turbo-folk", as people here tagget this pop-folk subgenre and, btw, MTV guys from America in 90s (the genre actually started in Belgrade in the middle of 90s Balkans wars) were praised our turbo-folk as "the most interesting and original pop music in Europe now" - perhaps they were really enjoyed in undoubtedly very atractive vid productions with a nice girls who created some pop / dance music but with Balkans sounds. As for example here are the girls band in their official turbo-folk vid & song Clear Sky Above Serbia  from 90s:

The genre is now the mainstream at Balkans.

Date Posted: September 07 2015 at 11:01
^ Congratulations, you have just provided a video more dreadful than the other two, thus proving my point.
Stop the Yugospam, please. No one cares.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk