Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97982
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 02:09
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cold Turkey!
Posted By: Finnforest
Subject: Cold Turkey!
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 18:40
You don't have to have tried all of these to participate. 

Simply, what is the hardest thing personally that you've tried to "give up" for whatever reason. 

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 19:26
Smokes definitely. I still have the craving for a lovely fag once in a couple of weeks.Confused

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 19:40
I thought this thread was about low temperatures in Istanbul

-------------

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 19:43
I've never even had food before.

(coffee. If I didn't get super hungry every once and a while I probably wouldn't even remember to eat, although I snack a lot when I'm not paying attention).

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 20:33
Food. Not that I really try to give it up often.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 21:21
Cigarettes. And the older you get the more difficult it is to quit that sh*t.

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 21:28
I cast my vote whilst my other hand is covered in Cheeto residue.

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 22:06
Food. It's too easy to get in large quantities. Still trying to form healthier habits. Booze was hard to quit but I pulled it off. Smoking was easy because I didn't do it much anyway. Weed just doesn't present itself as an option much anymore, being a dad and all, but even when its offered in closed company i usually turn it down, but i haven't shut it out entirely. Coffee is something I have no plans to give up.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 22:17
Def smokes for me....that was terribly hard and I hope I never slip back into it.  But I love it.  If they came out tomorrow and said cigs are no longer harmful to your lungs (and it was true), I'd be lighting up instantly.  But I'd rather not die of COPD as it is one hellish, hellish way to check out.  So that motivates me just enough to fight the beast. 

The other vices I can turn off with no problem, except perhaps coffee, which I don't intend to stop so I don't need to worry about that. 

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 22:22
Yep - ciggies.......
....... being a weak-minded b*****d doesn't help........

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 02:05
Never smoked in my life, and of the others definitely coffee

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 05:26
I gave up tobacco 2 years ago and it damn near killed me (or more accurately, I was almost driven to kill others. Suffice to say, the experience changed me forever)Confused

-------------

Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 08:39
^ Any secret weapon Ian?

For me it was candy, believe it or not.  When I had a bad craving I would eat something sweet, which distracted me momentarily, but also, I find that I don't enjoy smoking after eating something like chocolate or sugary candy.  Now candy isn't great either, but for the short term it did help to make smoking less appealing. 

Did you have any diversions or tactics?

-------------

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 08:55
No real secret weapon but constantly being broke and in debt is a major incentive to quit any addiction

-------------

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 10:45
I've never smoked anything or drank an ounce of alchohal. Never plan to do either.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 12:01
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I've never smoked anything or drank an ounce of alchohal. Never plan to do either.

It's impressive and a good choice.  You don't need either to enjoy your life.  And while some people do "get away with" moderate exposure, they're still toxins, so why start down the road if you don't feel you're missing out.  I thought I could just play with cigs, enjoy a few here and there....well, it cost me I'm sure. 

-------------

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 12:48
Yea I have a certain personality where I'm just 90% of the time stress free and happy so that reason is pointless to me.
Plus I've seen the negative effects enough to decide that I don't want to try either.

One of the "smaller" things I've just found unfortunate is that my dad has smoked cigarettes for a long time, and since I can remember he's had an awful smokers cough that has served as a signal for me to know if he's waking up and what not. I just find stuff like that and the permanent stench of them on ur body just awful. No thanks.
Ironically he's been apart of healthcare since he was 17.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 13:43
Smoking, definitely. I am now on my tenth week of giving up.

This act was not because I smelt like a disgusting ashtray, or concern for my long term health and well being. Nope, it was because I was told, in no uncertain terms, that if I had a cigarette less than 24 hours prior to my ankle operation in February, then I would not have said operation. This, apparently, because nicotine and anaesthetic do not mix particularly well.

When I had said operation, it was the fact that my body, in recovery, did not crave any tobacco, presumably because it knew it would be bad. I didn't have a drink for a couple of weeks, either.

I am now using the electronic vaping cigarettes, but with 0% nicotine. I will not go back to smoking. I am determined that my sad addiction is now at a final end.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 14:56
I'm boring.  Never smoked, drank or drugged.  Don't drink coffee, and my favorite soft drinks coincidentally don't have caffeine in them. Not even a huge fan of food, though I do have an unfortunate spare tire...

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: bloodnarfer
Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 15:05
I don't smoke and have no intention of giving up coffee. (I love it too much but don't overdo it). I've never had a problem with giving up unhealthy foods.  Trying to do no alcohol right now and its quite a challenge.  Unfortunately most of my engineer friends also have an alcohol dependencies thanks to college

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ramza1316" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/user/ramza1316
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 19:29
Since I haven't tried anything here, except food. I'll have to vote for Food (diet restriction).

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 20:04
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Smoking, definitely. I am now on my tenth week of giving up.

This act was not because I smelt like a disgusting ashtray, or concern for my long term health and well being. Nope, it was because I was told, in no uncertain terms, that if I had a cigarette less than 24 hours prior to my ankle operation in February, then I would not have said operation. This, apparently, because nicotine and anaesthetic do not mix particularly well.

When I had said operation, it was the fact that my body, in recovery, did not crave any tobacco, presumably because it knew it would be bad. I didn't have a drink for a couple of weeks, either.

I am now using the electronic vaping cigarettes, but with 0% nicotine. I will not go back to smoking. I am determined that my sad addiction is now at a final end.

Hey good for you Steve!  That's great news...and you can thank your ankle for itBig smile

-------------

Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 22:34
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

I don't smoke and have no intention of giving up coffee. (I love it too much but don't overdo it). I've never had a problem with giving up unhealthy foods.  Trying to do no alcohol right now and its quite a challenge.  Unfortunately most of my engineer friends also have an alcohol dependencies thanks to college

I didn't know you were an engineer, what discipline?

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: April 21 2014 at 04:43

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: April 21 2014 at 05:57
Other, specifically. Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: April 21 2014 at 07:01
I said in a prior post that stopping smoking was easy for me.  In fact, there was more to the story than that, but for the sake of brevity I'll draw upon a pungent quote from our friend Mark Twain:

"Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world.  I know because I've done it thousands of times."

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: April 21 2014 at 07:15
Beer for me.

Although when we go to Florida and stay with the in-laws, I don't drink any beer for a week, and I'm fine, so I suppose if I really wanted to I could quit.

But isn't that what all the fiendish drinkers say?  Ermm

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: April 21 2014 at 09:48
For me it's definitely food.  I could also stand to cut down on the booze but that's way easier than changing my diet.

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: April 21 2014 at 11:53
 The only one I have given up is fags *British Slang thanks* and it took several attempts but I made it in the end. However, I need to cut my cholesterol levels and this is difficult and unsuccesful so far.  So Food for me, even though the ciggies were an absolute nightmare to stop.  

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: bloodnarfer
Date Posted: April 21 2014 at 12:07
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Electrical/Computer Engineer

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ramza1316" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/user/ramza1316
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: April 21 2014 at 12:13
Cigarettes. I actually stopped a year and a half ago and then started again because most of my co-students smoked - and we all know the party is where the smokers are. There'll be 4 people sitting on chairs in the livingroom while 20 stand outside and talk about politics, music, women/men, sex, alcohol and whatnot....
Anyway I am not that bothered about smoking at the moment. It wasn't that hard to quit, I figure it's down to my mental state - do I really want to do this?

I used to smoke far too much weed and hashish at one point. Every day for a couple of years, yet it didn't influence my working life badly - just my wallet as it were. Hell back then it was party all weekend - Sundays and Thursdays included, and then work all week trying to make money for the aforementioned. It wasn't all alcohol and weed though, - I have probably tried everything there is to try except for the ol needle and the damage done. Never felt 'addicted' to anything from the drug world though, even if a few summers were a tad overindulgent on my behalf. Looking back, I'm glad I did it - no regrets, but on the other hand, it was probably a wise decision to leave that life waaaaaay behind.
Weed is only for the occasional weekend, and alcohol equally so - I do suspect that my intake of both will increase drastically during the summer, but I am perfectly fine with that.

Regarding food: I need to watch what I eat, but I've never really had an unhealthy addiction. I loooooove food and I thank my mom's home cooking for that. That will never change, even if I end up looking like Meat Loaf.   

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 21 2014 at 12:31

Cool, I'm EE Cool

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: April 21 2014 at 12:40

Cool, I'm EE Cool

Approve

Posted By: crimhead
Date Posted: April 21 2014 at 22:55
Diet restriction. I don't smoke nor drink that much anymore. I'd hate to have to give up food.

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: June 03 2014 at 12:38
None of these things are vices to me. Even though I love coffee, I don't drink it every day.

I do have other vices that you have not listed. Embarrassed

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: June 03 2014 at 14:47
Record shopping

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: June 11 2014 at 10:58
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Smoking, definitely. I am now on my tenth week of giving up

Nice one Steve - personally, I only lasted 6 weeks a coup[le of years ago

I do have all the paraphenalia to make the attempt again (via vaping, this time), but every time I go to do it, the baccy calls to me again.

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: June 11 2014 at 12:08
^Smokes. I went back to coffee. Chris sakes, a mans got to have some bad habit for his doctor to complain about!

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: June 11 2014 at 13:22
For some years I did smoke some cigars, only a few per week, but I was never nicotin addicted.
I got a girl friend who hated smoking, and I felt I would get problems with my bronchi if I continued (I was beginning to smoke a cigar almost daily), so eventually I gave up, but it wasn't very hard. I never officially stopped, but I haven't smoked in 10 years or something like that. No craving.

Coffee had been a bigger problem. I used to drink 9 mugs of strong coffee per day.
I brought it back to six cups of not so strong coffee, but it's hard to keep myself to that.

Alcohol too: One or two glasses of wine per day is normal for me, plus a few beers per week. But after I drank 2 alcoholic beverages or something like that, it's hard not to take any more. 

Food can be a problem too. I like chocolate, peanuts and other high calories snacks, a lot. It's hard to be moderate.

But apart from smoking, I never stopped with anything, and stopping to smoke was not hard, since I never smoked much, and to make a billclintonesque remark: I never inhaled LOL

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: June 11 2014 at 19:50
Well, my wife has given up smoking two times since I  have known her....
Then on the other hand, she has never quit coffee. LOL

I'm not going into details, but none of the things I've tried to give up and went back to were hard to gives up.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: June 11 2014 at 20:51
Caffeine (tea) -i've reduced it to 3 cups a day, but CANNOT go any lower.

Secondary to that would be junk food. Though I am trying to lose weight.

I haven't smoked or drank alcohol for decades, just about the best decision I made was cutting that crap out.

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: June 12 2014 at 01:15
Ohhh, I don't know which is the hardest to give up. I don't really like weed so giving that up has been easy. Coffee I have never even tried to give up because I work in a coffee shop and love the stuff. I'll usually have 2 black cups of strong coffee before work and another two or so during the day. I figure if caffeine is my only addiction I got off easily. Which brings me to alcohol.

This is...a tough one. I'm currently drunk, so I guess that's a little serendipity for you. Most nights I have at least 2 drinks, sometimes more, and occasionally a beer at lunch or a shot of whiskey. So read into that what you will.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: June 12 2014 at 03:19
Giving up the food I love would probably make me angry for quite a while, so I'll vote that. It's one of the few things I've got, y'know. 
I get into the drink a bit too, and I'm probably drunk about twice a week. I go through a 700mL bottle of spirits once a week on average, I'd say. I'd ultimately rather give up alcohol over good sh*tty food I can currently consume, because having alcohol alone would be sh*t.
I can't drink coffee because it effects my heart rhythm (I do miss it, and wish I could at least use it to pep me up a bit sometimes). Caffeine is not something I've been hooked on though.
I only smoke a small amount on the occasion, no addiction.  

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: June 12 2014 at 11:23
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Ohhh, I don't know which is the hardest to give up. I don't really like weed so giving that up has been easy. Coffee I have never even tried to give up because I work in a coffee shop and love the stuff. I'll usually have 2 black cups of strong coffee before work and another two or so during the day. I figure if caffeine is my only addiction I got off easily. Which brings me to alcohol.

This is...a tough one. I'm currently drunk, so I guess that's a little serendipity for you. Most nights I have at least 2 drinks, sometimes more, and occasionally a beer at lunch or a shot of whiskey. So read into that what you will.

I miss working in a coffee shop. I usually only have one mug a day, sometimes two, but working behind the scenes, you get to pick and choose and get the fresh stuff. Thumbs Up

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Posted By: The Pessimist
Date Posted: June 14 2014 at 05:03
I've tried giving up all of these... Giving up alcohol is pretty difficult, but I'm getting there at the moment. I never had that much of an affinity with drugs, just the odd joint every now and then so I can't imagine that would be difficult. Cutting meat and dairy out of my diet seem tough at first, but actually it's been incredibly easy. I don't really drink coffee anyway. Smoking on the other hand... I've given up smoking about 10 times now. It's phenomenally difficult, which is ironic because it'll be the thing that kills me the fastest!

-------------
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: June 14 2014 at 20:56
I have kicked a few dependencies - but I still need coffee to get through my day

that's where my vote goes!

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: June 14 2014 at 23:10
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Smokes definitely. I still have the craving for a lovely fag once in a couple of weeks.Confused

Same here. I quit 3  years a go, but still crave them. Even dream about them once in a while. And if someone's smoking nearby, I love inhaling the smoke. Stupidest thing ever, picking up smoking...

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: June 17 2014 at 20:58
Smokes here too.  Yes, I tried to quit once, before I realized that nobody likes a quitter.  Tongue

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk