Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98051
Printed Date: May 17 2024 at 09:48
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What Are They LP or Vinyl?
Posted By: Slartibartfast
Subject: What Are They LP or Vinyl?
Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 10:28
I grew up on the 45s and the 33 1/3.  They were singles and albums.  Of course the singles were typically double sided.  I think it's probably a generational thing, but I grew up with LPs or records as we called them.  Hey you kids get off my lawn!!! Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Replies:
Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 11:21
Here we used to call LP as Long Play, which was made of vinyl material, so i don't know, what's the difference ??

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 11:27
THEY ARE EVERYTHING AND ALL THINGS AT ONCE FOREVER

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 11:46
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Here we used to call LP as Long Play, which was made of vinyl material, so i don't know, what's the difference ??
I suppose you can have vinyls that aren't LPs? Lamp

Posted By: Kentucky_Hawkwindage
Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 12:00
I guess i'll go with LP,album is another word that could be used i suppose.

-------------
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 12:06
Depends who I am talking to...I flip flop between both. Generally I find from other people point of view the following.

LP = vinyl
Vinyl = LP
CD = CD

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 14:23
We called them both LP's and vinyl .....but saying vinyl didn't become popular until cd's came out in my group.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 14:32
I use both terms on PA, but in real life Denmark it's 'plader' and that has never changed.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 18:42
LP's are made from Vinyl - when talking in music terms, vinyl will always be the good ole long player, and not the latest floor covering of your sex-dungeon.........

Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 18:44
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

LP's are made from Vinyl - when talking in music terms, vinyl will always be the good ole long player, and not the latest floor covering of your sex-dungeon.........
Says who?

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 19:00
There's something at the heart of it that's simply awful
A man who makes a living off a plastic waffle

- Todd Rundgren

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 19:03

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 19:11
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Says who?
Says me ;-}>

Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 19:38

Says who?
Says me ;-}>
The word of the pumpkin king is good enough for me.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 19:45
The short answer is yes.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: notesworth
Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 20:19
An LP is one type of vinyl record.

What bugs me is middle-aged men who talk about an album and then say "YES, I SAID ALBUM, okay?!?!? I'm OLD!!!!!!" like people don't still say "album" now. "Back in MY day..."

Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 20:22
Huh???

-------------
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me

Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 20:28
Originally posted by notesworth notesworth wrote:

An LP is one type of vinyl record.

What bugs me is middle-aged men who talk about an album and then say "YES, I SAID ALBUM, okay?!?!? I'm OLD!!!!!!" like people don't still say "album" now. "Back in MY day..."
This happens to me a lot. I just nod like I think they know what they're talking about.

Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 20:42
Surprisingly enough, there are many, at least late-teens that look upon vinyl as an ancient relic.....
Tell you got Eagles' 'One Of These Nights' and some folks respond with "must be worth a fortune now"..........(yeah, 3 bucks for a mint copy fortune.....)

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 20:54
I just call them records.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 20:57
'Hot Wax' if they were boots

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 21:37
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Just for the record, anything can be a record. Btw it's a Marillion song isn't it? If I'm right it's from an LP that I owned once in my life named "Clutching At Straws", nice Long Play it was... another double one i guess.

EDIT: By saying "double" I was meaning like a folding cover, with all the lyrics written inside.

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 26 2014 at 21:57
I've said both, but prefer LPs.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 05:09

Just for the record, anything can be a record. Btw it's a Marillion song isn't it? If I'm right it's from an LP that I owned once in my life named "Clutching At Straws", nice Long Play it was... another double one i guess.

EDIT: By saying "double" I was meaning like a folding cover, with all the lyrics written inside.
Strictly speaking a double is an album with two discs, what you are referring to the rest of us call a gatefold. 

[the Mary-lion lyric is indeed 'just for the record' - an idiom that means 'a public statement so that my own version of the facts will be known', it does not refer to recorded music] 

LP was originally an acronym of Long Play but whereas EP  retains the 'play' as Extended Play, an LP is more commonly called a Long Player. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To answer the poll - I use the term LP or record. I dislike the word vinyl as it attained an inferred connotation of superiority (ie pretentiousness) that it does not deserve, if audiophiles were serious about audio fidelity they would not be using LPs, they would be using ¼" reel to reel tape recordings at 7½ in/s (or better still - ½" tape at 15 in/s). I have a moderate (600+) collection of LP records³ amassed over a 40+ year period and still buy them today but I don't keep them for any perceived belief in their superiority of audio reproduction. It's more like stamp collection - I like the aesthetic of the format and the packaging. A gatefold cover is far more pleasing to look at than an unreadable CD inlay booklet and the ritual of removing an LP from its sleeve, placing it on the turntable platter and lowering the stylus onto the groove is still more satisfying than pressing ► on a CD or MP3 player. The clicks and scratches I could live without.

I do however use the word vinyl, but begrudgingly so and only to avoid confusion in online conversations.

Back in the day the word vinyl was rarely used, and then only by pretentious¹ people who only used it to refer to 45s (and oft only 12" 45s). Similarly, if anyone used the word disc (not disk) it also generally meant a 45 or single (or sometimes a 7-inch), rarely an album. The word single is of course a misnomer as they generally have two or more tracks, its odd that the acronym SP was never in common use for Single (or Short) Play.

There was never any need to refer to an album of music by the material it was made from, the only alternative was tape and that was called by its format because there were three different formats to chose from (reel, cassette and 8-track). We don't call CDs carbonates (or more accurately polycarbonates) so why call LPs vinyls (or more accurately polyvinyl chlorides or PVCs)?

If you had a record player it meant you had a turntable for playing records on, you could not play a tape (or CD come to that) on a record player, ergo - the word record is a shortening of the noun-phrase gramophone record and was used for either² 33⅓, 45 or 78 but never tape (tapes were recordings), though it was also most commonly used for singles on 78 or 45 so was prefixed with LP (as LP record) when you meant an album of music.

Incidentally, the word album derives from the days of sheet music were collections of song-scores were published in book form. Later when multiple 78s (which were made from shellac) were released as a collection, they were also published in book form and called an album.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

¹ and for once the word 'pretentious' when used in this context is not a synonym for 'Prog' but 'DJ'.
² some record players were capable of a 4th speed - 16⅔ that was only used for speech (mainly Linguaphone recordings).
³ recently I have been reluctantly driving a car that does not have a CD player (bizarre for a vehicle made in 2002, but that's Honda for you) so have had to dig out a few cassettes to play on long journeys - my word those things are dreadful, how and why we put up with then for so long is a mystery.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 07:33
^Thanks Dean for your interesting explanations.

About that phrase i already imagined more or less its meaning. I also make mine your words about the gatefold covers (now I know the correct name), I turn out having nostalgic feelings about that times. Anyway, now I have Internet which allows me knowing much better the world of music at the click of a mouse, although without that much better clicks and scratches you meant of course.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 07:38

That wasn't an option but now that I think about them they were called records or albums before CDs came out.  And they still are regardless of format if an artist puts together a collection of new music.  I just wanted to poke a little fun at the younger generation that calls records in a certain format vinyls. Big smile

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 07:43

About that phrase i already imagined more or less its meaning. I also make mine your words about the gatefold covers (now I know the correct name), I turn out having nostalgic feelings about that times. Anyway, now I have Internet which allows me knowing much better the world of music at the click of a mouse, although without that much better clicks and scratches you meant of course.

Btw woukd you explain me the meaning of Mary-lion? Was that another joke or is that the reason of Marillion ? Really curious about it, even though if I google that I would have the answer for the origin of the band's name,

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 07:44
It's a Sim thing....

And by the way, spot on Dean. 

I am from an older generation that knows and had direct experience with all those forms of recorded music way back then.

-------------

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 07:55
What's the question?

Um I think 'records' are the answer. Or 'album' if you wanted to make it clear that you wern't talking about a single or EP or 12" .  Never use the word Vinyl unless its a discussion about vinyl Approve

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 07:56

Btw woukd you explain me the meaning of Mary-lion? Was that another joke or is that the reason of Marillion ? Really curious about it, even though if I google that I would have the answer for the origin of the band's name,
It's just a pun. I have pun-names for many bands, it's just the way my mind works. 

Marillion took their name from Tolkein's The Silmarillion.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 08:01
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

What's the question?

Um I think 'records' are the answer. Or 'album' if you wanted to make it clear that you wern't talking about a single or EP or 12" .  Never use the word Vinyl unless its a discussion about vinyl Approve
Thumbs Up

-------------
What?

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 08:01
Genesisocide?

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 08:54
Thing is, a lot of people use the word "record" interchangeably with "album", i.e. a group of songs compiled and sequenced by the artist to be consumed as a package. This now includes mp3 albums and other digital formats. This makes it harder to use the word "record" if you really do mean the plastic slab with grooves on it. So "vinyl" or "LP" is more informative in these cases. Of course, to most people, the physicality of the format is trivial or secondary at best, so pointing it out as a source of pride (which i am guilty of on a daily basis) just might be seen as pretentious. I do try to stop myself, but I'm a goofball and often can't help it.

-------------

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 09:00
Hey I built up my collection back int late '70's/early '80's.  My number one place was Wax 'n' Facts.  I have a lot of survivors that were purchased there many years ago.  Where's your favorite local place to shop?

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 09:11
I love Wax n Facts for LPs but the CD selection is small. Criminal Records is great for new (especially "indie") releases, but once an album is a couple of years old they don't stock it unless it's hipster friendly. Wuxtry is a great one too, they seem to have everything BUT new releases. Decatur CD is good but cramped and sometimes hard to find stuff, plus they lean a bit more towards Americana/folk which isn't really my area of interest. The Book Nook (N Druid) and CD Warehouse (Roswell, near where i live) nearly always have cheap used stuff i didn't know i wanted.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 11:20
Back in the day for me it was Warehouse Records & Tapes, Peaches and Tower Records.....Tower had a huge import section.

Today it is local stores in Tacoma, Hi-Voltage Records, House of Records...In Seattle too many to name.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 11:49
In the UK the main local record stores in my area were Harlequin, Our Price, Andy's Records and Revolver records, but that's not going to mean much to most people. The major chains of HMV and Virgin came much later. The last LP I bought from a brick'n'mortar store was Kveikur by Sigur Rós... and that was from a HMV located in a local shopping mall.

However, I generally buy from the internet now, Amazon and direct from Burning Shed of course.

-------------
What?

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 11:58
Sadly there's nothing in my local area anymore (used to be a place called Hegewish Records) and I have to go into Chicago to one of the Reckless Record stores for cd's and vinyl.
There's a neat place in Minneapolis called Electric Fetus (they were even mentioned in Rolling Stone mag once..)...been there a few times.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 13:36
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Back in the day for me it was Warehouse Records & Tapes, Peaches and Tower Records.....Tower had a huge import section.

Today it is local stores in Tacoma, Hi-Voltage Records, House of Records...In Seattle too many to name.
i went to one in Seattle a few weeks ago when I was visiting my friend. It was huge, and had everything i wanted but could never find elsewhere. Forgot the name but it was something like "Everyday Records". I had to actually quit looking around because i was in danger of buying more than i could fit in my carry on luggage home.

I miss Tower. Used to be one in Atlanta across the street from where I work. It was a tough loss. It is nice having the internet though. I can pretty much find anything if i want it enough and can afford it.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 13:41
http://www.everydaymusic.com/

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 13:43

http://www.everydaymusic.com/

that was it! My oh my that place had the goods.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 13:49
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

i went to one in Seattle a few weeks ago when I was visiting my friend. It was huge, and had everything i wanted but could never find elsewhere. Forgot the name but it was something like "Everyday Records". I had to actually quit looking around because i was in danger of buying more than i could fit in my carry on luggage home.

I miss Tower. Used to be one in Atlanta across the street from where I work. It was a tough loss. It is nice having the internet though. I can pretty much find anything if i want it enough and can afford it.

When i was stationed at Ft. Lewis,Wa (86-88) there was a chain of used record stores by the name of Golden Oldies,don't know if they still exist or not.I visited the one of them often & bought quite a few LP's while i was there.I also bought several from Tower as well.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 14:33
If I'm being anal, it seems that "vinyl record" would be the most accurate term for the thing described. "LP" specifies the length and "vinyl" specifies material. Neither completely specifies format. "Record" specifies a grouping of tracks that can be recorded onto multiple kinds of material and as such is too general. But, really, who cares?

As far as my favorite place to get records, there's only one record store in town and it's very much like how Steve described Criminal Records. When I do buy vinyl records (of which there's not too much), I get them there, if I don't borrow them from the jazz dept. at the local university. 

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 14:44
Originally posted by Kentucky_Hawkwindage Kentucky_Hawkwindage wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

When i was stationed at Ft. Lewis,Wa (86-88) there was a chain of used record stores by the name of Golden Oldies,don't know if they still exist or not.I visited the one of them often & bought quite a few LP's while i was there.I also bought several from Tower as well.

Yup...golden Oldies still exists in that old brick building...There are a ton of record/vinyl/LP shops in Seattle...Silver Platters and Easy Street are big. Jive Time Records in Freemont is very cool place. there are some smaller underground places too, specialize in 2-3 genres usually.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 15:12

If I'm being anal, it seems that "vinyl record" would be the most accurate term for the thing described. "LP" specifies the length and "vinyl" specifies material. Neither completely specifies format. "Record" specifies a grouping of tracks that can be recorded onto multiple kinds of material and as such is too general. But, really, who cares?

As far as my favorite place to get records, there's only one record store in town and it's very much like how Steve described Criminal Records. When I do buy vinyl records (of which there's not too much), I get them there, if I don't borrow them from the jazz dept. at the local university. 

To be totally anal. A 'record' is in my mind, and certainly in the teenage record buying version of me, a vinyl record and not a tape or cassette or later a CD.  A record is not short for a recording at least it became the actual thing rather than the music recorded on it.  But, really who cares? Wink

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: April 27 2014 at 15:23

To be totally anal. A 'record' is in my mind, and certainly in the teenage record buying version of me, a vinyl record and not a tape or cassette or later a CD.  A record is not short for a recording at least it became the actual thing rather than the music recorded on it.  But, really who cares? Wink
Linda Perhacs?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk