Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98126
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 17:30
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Personal prog connections
Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Subject: Personal prog connections
Date Posted: May 02 2014 at 15:30

Recently I was blessed with an opportunity to connect with Johan Brand from Anglagard via facebook. The way it happened actually was the band saw my PA review for Viljans Oga and liked it enough to share it on their facebook wall! What we do here is definitely appreciated, it definitely goes to show! Smile

Anyway, I was just wondering if any other PA people had any cool stories about opportunities to meet or communicate with these musicians who so deeply inspire and invigorate us with their talents and gifts. I'm always up for a good story!

Replies:
Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: May 02 2014 at 16:46
In 2002, I had the pleasure of communicating by phone to guitar/sitar wizard Prof. Eddy Marron, who has a long and distinguished musical history, most notably in prog circles as musician for Austrian prog group Vita Nova,  krautrock/fusion group Dzyan, and later with fusion band Missus Beastly and Giger, Lenz and Marron. It was especially cool when I told him I had just turned 40, and he wished me Happy Birthday!Thumbs Up I phoned him about 8 years later, but that went not so well, as he did not really remember me. Oh, well.

About 4 years ago, I looked up the name of UK Symphonic Prog band Strange Day's keys player Eddie Spence, and found someone with that name in the surviving band of Gary Glitter called simply the Glitter Band. Sure enough, it was the right Eddie Spence, and he e-mailed me back with a very nice and friendly post, telling me some things I did not know about Strange Days, like that the Sex Pistols opened for them at the 100 Club just before the Pistols became famous, and that SD were famous for a short while in the university circuit in the UK and the Netherlands. Unfortunately, my second e-mail went without a reply.

More recently, I recieved a PM in my PA mailbox from  Libra lead guitarist Nicola di Staso saying thank you. I guess that must be for my five star reviews of Libra albums I suppose. That was nice.

Also more recently, I was introduced to a close friend of the guitar player/lead vocalist of Triumvirat the late Helmut Koellen on facebook. I communicated with him a few times and learned a bit about Helmut that I did not know before, which I encorporated into my article on Koellen. That was a real blessing, and meant the world to me, let me tell you.

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: May 02 2014 at 16:55
Back in the days (pre-2000) I had an e-mail exchange with Dan Rock (Psychotic Waltz, Darkstar) who at the time was telling me that there was no chance of re-uniting PW - he was playing at his piano and listening to The Beatles.

Glad things turned around, even if it had to be 10+ years since then...

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: May 02 2014 at 17:06
It's truly not a case of feeling overwhelmed because of their international popularity, but possibly that you are in the presence of an innovator. I've gotten letters from Francis Lickerish and several other progressive artists over the years....like Ron Geesin and Camel and have exchanged demos as well. It's all very interesting and helpful to hear their opinions on my music like for example ...a x-White Willow member was very supportive of my music and was willing to record with me on my new Chamber Rock project...which domestic life wouldn't allow....but! I so appreciate the input from artists like these and wouldn't give it up for the world. My fondest memory is not in the digital age. It's from 78" to 82" when I was playing a theatre circuit. Progressive Rock bands who were internationally known were touring that circuit and it was exciting to be 23 years old and playing the circuit with them. I never had the chance to meet Steve Hackett....but it was so cool to be booked a week behind him.. and have that hands on insight with record companies and artists. I opened for Dixie Dregs in 81" and it was the thrill of my youth. It was thrilling to be on a circuit with these people and become educated to higher levels of the music business...instead of wasting All of my time in low rent bars and clubs. It was like traveling in the circus.

Posted By: PabstRibbon
Date Posted: May 02 2014 at 17:22
Last year, I was in Tokyo waiting for my flight to New Jersey. I was in the waiting line and I saw Tony Levin, Adrian Belew and Pat Mastelotto.They were coming back from a little Japan tour as the Crimson Trio. I was shaking haha. Then I went to talk a little bit with Tony Levin before he went inside the plane. Once I entered myself inside I searched for my seat and Tony himself was sitting right next to me. So we watched a movie haha. That was crazy 

Date Posted: May 02 2014 at 17:34
Originally posted by PabstRibbon PabstRibbon wrote:

Last year, I was in Tokyo waiting for my flight to New Jersey. I was in the waiting line and I saw Tony Levin, Adrian Belew and Pat Mastelotto.They were coming back from a little Japan tour as the Crimson Trio. I was shaking haha. Then I went to talk a little bit with Tony Levin before he went inside the plane. Once I entered myself inside I searched for my seat and Tony himself was sitting right next to me. So we watched a movie haha. That was crazy 
           that's very cool and very funny when covering each step of the events.  What a great story!

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: May 02 2014 at 17:36
I see and talk to Denny Walley (ex Zappa, Beefheart) from time to time, as we have some mutual friends. His wife Janet is really nice too (remember Janet the Planet from Baby Snakes? That's her). Last year i got to talk with him a good long time as we went out to dinner before a Keneally show. He's got tons of stories about FZ and Beefheart, and it was really cool and i hope to do it again.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: May 02 2014 at 17:46
I know most of the members of Mostly Autumn to speak to and I worked with Iain Jennings for a couple of years. Delightful guy and a great musician.

Date Posted: May 02 2014 at 17:47
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

In 2002, I had the pleasure of communicating by phone to guitar/sitar wizard Prof. Eddy Marron, who has a long and distinguished musical history, most notably in prog circles as musician for Austrian prog group Vita Nova,  krautrock/fusion group Dzyan, and later with fusion band Missus Beastly and Giger, Lenz and Marron. It was especially cool when I told him I had just turned 40, and he wished me Happy Birthday!Thumbs Up I phoned him about 8 years later, but that went not so well, as he did not really remember me. Oh, well.

About 4 years ago, I looked up the name of UK Symphonic Prog band Strange Day's keys player Eddie Spence, and found someone with that name in the surviving band of Gary Glitter called simply the Glitter Band. Sure enough, it was the right Eddie Spence, and he e-mailed me back with a very nice and friendly post, telling me some things I did not know about Strange Days, like that the Sex Pistols opened for them at the 100 Club just before the Pistols became famous, and that SD were famous for a short while in the university circuit in the UK and the Netherlands. Unfortunately, my second e-mail went without a reply.

More recently, I recieved a PM in my PA mailbox from  Libra lead guitarist Nicola di Staso saying thank you. I guess that must be for my five star reviews of Libra albums I suppose. That was nice.

Also more recently, I was introduced to a close friend of the guitar player/lead vocalist of Triumvirat the late Helmut Koellen on facebook. I communicated with him a few times and learned a bit about Helmut that I did not know before, which I encorporated into my article on Koellen. That was a real blessing, and meant the world to me, let me tell you.

This is great! I used to talk with Kees from Groove Unlimited. Look them up....they have the most outstanding European
Electronic music selection on earth. I used to send them American dollars wrapped in foil and weeks later my package of rarities would arrive. I recall KEES telling me that he went to school with Klaus Schulze and his stories were fascinating. He may have known Helmut and you should contact him. We used to talk on the phone.

Date Posted: May 02 2014 at 18:47
^thanks, Johnny, I will check on that!Thumbs Up

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: May 02 2014 at 22:49
After a Fairport Convention gig at a very small venue I was trying to get some signatures on the CD I bought from them. A woman wanted a photo of Dave Pegg and he grabbed the nearest person he could - me. Somewhere there is a photo of both me and him laughing like complete idiots. I would like to see that.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: May 02 2014 at 23:16
Many musicians are very available through their websites, if you approach them in the correct manner.  They don't care for fawning, drooling admiration as much as honest discourse about their musical inspirations or even non-musical interests! 

I had a nice email correspondence with Glenn Cornick of Jethro Tull about American ice hockey, it was brilliant!  

Others I've corresponded with include John Hawken of the Strawbs (concerning harpsichords), Ray Bennett of Flash about his history with the band, John Goodsall of Brand X about tons of stuff etc.  

Just go to their websites and start writing.  Try addressing their webmaster first to see if that person will pass your message directly along.  

Also, look for appearances at local music stores.  I met Mike Keneally at a local guitar store, we had a great chat about his onstage duet with Bob Fripp, where Keneally soloed over Fripp's "Soundscape" music!  Amazing stuff! 

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 00:54
I met Bill Bruford once at a local jazz club where he was doing an after dinner Q&A session and book signing. We talked for about ten minutes about music. Nice chap.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 02:28
I met Davy O'List once and he was very nice and very complimentary about Keith Emerson despite being thrown out of The Nice for his excessive drug use. I think he regarded this as a massive blessing that helped to get him straight.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 03:14
I've name-dropped all the prog people I've met over the years many times before, so I'll just mention those who approached me rather than the ones I've summoned the nerve to go up and talk to. A few years ago Ex-Enid guitarist Francis Lickerish, now of Secret Green, contacted me out of the blue enquiring after an oil-painting I'd painted of him back in 1977. 

Unfortunately for him I'd given the painting as a present to a friend fairly soon after I had finished it. Co-incidentally that friend and I had chatted with Francis and Steve Stewart in the bar after the gig in Bedford that the painting was from.

At a secret Focus gig in a local pub another ex-Enid guitarist Nick May, now of Whimwise, approached me thinking I was Clive Nolan of Pendragon, once we'd sorted out I wasn't we had an interesting chat about music and the music biz.

Separated at birth? LOL

And when the band I used to manage was playing the Bloodstock festival for the second time, Bob Catley of Magnum was also on the bill, he spent much of the afternoon chatting and drinking with myself, my wife and daughter and ... Becki our lead singer:
...so not because of our sparkling wit and repartee then... Wink

-------------
What?

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 08:52
I'm met a bunch of lovely musician's particularly at the RIO festival where the crowd is relatively small and all the musicians generally spend the weekend sitting around and chatting. At my first RIO I got the the hostel (which is right next to the venue) early so went outside for a beer. Sitting at the table next to me were the Univers Zero & Present guys. Not wanting to be a fawning ass I read my book and had a beer. After about 10 minutes Dave Kerman asked me over to join the group. Lovely bunch of people, I sent most of the weekend chatting with Dave, Pierre, Keith & Reg.

Last years RIO had a monstrously good line-up with the Present & UZ guys there again plus the Guapo & and Mirthkon guys were great to spend some time chatting with.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 09:20
Hmm, name dropping time. My Mom did a painting (large landscape)  for Kerry Livgren, I worked on it a little and got to visit his house when she gave it to him.  I've had the privilege of getting backstage to a few.  Now in my latter years I love to make friends with some of the up and coming prog musicians. Big smile

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 09:23

I am Mike Rutherford's love child.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 09:40
I met Phil Collins when I was three.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 09:48
^ the charges were dropped though?

-------------

Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 09:51
^It was just cookies and milk man. Nothing happened. There just happened to be a bed beneath us.

But actually, it was when my dad, a sax player, was touring with the Phil Collins Big Band. My brother told him he talked too much.

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 12:51
When Comus play abroad these days, they have a different violin player, who is a friend of mine and plays in a couple of bands with me.  He's in the purple shirt in this clip on the right at the beginning

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 16:00
Hi,

Probably more names than I can shake a finger at, but I tend to not dwell on it, and cover their person and privacy. I have a couple of pictures, but since for 10 years I WAS the photographer, it meant that I would not be in front of my camera!

All in all, there are some pretty good names and I could, still, call a few folks and photograph them at will, but won't take advantage of it just for the fan side of things.

I have, on ALL occasions given all members of the band a complete set of 5x7's of all the shots that came out that I took.

The only band that would not allow me to shoot, was Porcupine Tree in San Francisco, and that was when I met one of them, and knew right away, the music was really nice, but the others were even nicer. Richard is the one I enjoyed the most and probably th emost creative without having to go around farting to make sure we notice him!

Other than that, Gong is my closest and most photographed. The only band I want to shoot in concert these days would be one that does not do shows ... Djam Karet. But I need some "Dark Clouds, No Rain" playing to get in the mood! Or "The Trip". I would not have minded doing Hawkwind, but the timing was never there. I missed Mani with Acid Mothers around here and wish I had seen it, because him and Pierre Moerlin are by far the best drummers I have ever heard in rock music! Other than that, I would do Magma right this time with better lenses than I had before, as they got setup way too far back in the stage for the shots to make it better. Lana Lane was also very nice to shoot, but the keyboard setup closed the stage for shooting, and Erik did not get good shots. Lana was a bit too far back, but the expressions are there and I wish I had a better lens to shoot this band with.

I don't do "personal connections", but I have a huge list of folks I have gone to dinner with and such ... and I have made dinner for them as well!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: maani
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 14:53
I worked in the music biz for some time, so I ended up getting to meet and speak to quite a few prog legends, including Chris Squire, Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Jon Anderson, James Labrie, and David Gilmour. And for those who have been here, I have interviewed Rick Wakeman, Steven Wilson and Roye Albrighton, though I haven't met them.

Oddly, I did have an unexpected encounter last week. I went to the Sound of Contact show in NYC. As you know, SOC is fronted by Simon Collins, son of Phil. I was one of the first few people on line (on a very cold and blustery day). Who should walk up but Phil. And he was very gracious, and stood around chatting with us for a little while, and taking pics with us. (Stupid me; I didn't take a photo!) It was quite fun.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 15:05
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I've name-dropped all the prog people I've met over the years many times before, so I'll just mention those who approached me rather than the ones I've summoned the nerve to go up and talk to. A few years ago Ex-Enid guitarist Francis Lickerish, now of Secret Green, contacted me out of the blue enquiring after an oil-painting I'd painted of him back in 1977. 

Unfortunately for him I'd given the painting as a present to a friend fairly soon after I had finished it. Co-incidentally that friend and I had chatted with Francis and Steve Stewart in the bar after the gig in Bedford that the painting was from.

At a secret Focus gig in a local pub another ex-Enid guitarist Nick May, now of Whimwise, approached me thinking I was Clive Nolan of Pendragon, once we'd sorted out I wasn't we had an interesting chat about music and the music biz.

Separated at birth? LOL

And when the band I used to manage was playing the Bloodstock festival for the second time, Bob Catley of Magnum was also on the bill, he spent much of the afternoon chatting and drinking with myself, my wife and daughter and ... Becki our lead singer:

God Dean, I wish I could send you a photo of me. We could be twins (except I have a proper beard).

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 17:09
Zero personal connections for me. But that's probably due to my age and the rather small number of concerts I go to.

But these stories are a pleasure to read about.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 19:31
Meeting Sir Richard was truly amazing!  He should run for Parliament, he's such a natural politician!  

I know Steve Howe's guitar tech/luthier, Hugh Manson, so he did me the favor of getting us after-show passes!  

Priceless! 

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 19:37
I think Sean Malone sent me an email in the 90s

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 19:50
I've talked to Jim Haney of Perhaps (amazing band) and he offered me a free ticket to his gig, but i couldn't attend so i was sad. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 19:53
I live on a country that borders with Geddy Lee's. 

-------------

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 21:28
Matt Stevens (solo, The Fierce and the Dead) 'liked' one of my comments on his Facebook page once. Does that count? LOL

-------------
https://twitter.com/ProgFollower" rel="nofollow - @ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 22:20
I have a little recollection for you all: once upon a time, I liked King Crimson, and then I woke up years later and found out I loved them. The End. Big smile

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: Neo-Romantic
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 22:25

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I live on a country that borders with Geddy Lee's. 

What? Dude, me too! LOL

-------------
May God bless you all in Jesus' name. No matter who you are, you're special, you're loved, and you matter.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 22:51
I met Prog once, great guy. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 22:58
I met all of Yes except Squire---he was late--showed Phil Collins around my neighborhood in NYC, actually took him to a store he was looking for---saw Getty Lee at an outdoor cafe in my neighborhood, didn't bother him, saw Mike Rutherford too in my neighborhood, didn't bother him either---was in a sauna with Robert Fripp at my gym, it was awkward as I did try to talk to him but he wasn't too friendly with nothing but a towel on--lol---met Bill Bruford after an Earthworks concert, he was signing CD's---asked him to please reunite the Bruford band,, he stated firmly that would never happenCryLOL  hung my head in shame and left.

Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 23:30
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I met all of Yes except Squire---he was late--showed Phil Collins around my neighborhood in NYC, actually took him to a store he was looking for---saw Getty Lee at an outdoor cafe in my neighborhood, didn't bother him, saw Mike Rutherford too in my neighborhood, didn't bother him either---was in a sauna with Robert Fripp at my gym, it was awkward as I did try to talk to him but he wasn't too friendly with nothing but a towel on--lol---met Bill Bruford after an Earthworks concert, he was signing CD's---asked him to please reunite the Bruford band,, he stated firmly that would never happenCryLOL  hung my head in shame and left.

Yeah, Fripp isn't exactly an easy person to talk to I imagine. Kind of standoffish, but it's understandable. I imagine people generally annoy the hell out of him anyway. Smile

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 09:44
The idea of trying to engage Fripp in conversation in a sauna is wonderful, he's uncomfortable with fan interaction to start with but wrapped in a towel and all sweaty, my goodness.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:27
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

If a bit pretentious.

-------------

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:36
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

If a bit pretentious.
"most people only see my symphonic side" *pulls up collar*

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:40
Here is my account of my encounter with the band Tiles and Discipline members Matthew Parmenter and Matthew Kennedy.  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52932&KW=tiles&PID=3017107#3017107" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52932&KW=tiles&PID=3017107#3017107

I had met the guys from Tiles at a CD release party a few months prior to that, and they sent me free tickets to see them open for King's X.

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 11:33
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

The idea of trying to engage Fripp in conversation in a sauna is wonderful, he's uncomfortable with fan interaction to start with but wrapped in a towel and all sweaty, my goodness.

You hit the nail on the head---very awkward for him lol---I see tons of celebs in my neighborhood and New Yorkers generally speaking, don't bother them--Wilem Defoe lives a block away and is a nice guy--the nicest friendliest guy in the neighborhood was the late great Philip Seymour Hoffman---a great down to earth guy who would nod and say hello ---may he rest in peace.

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:13
[QUOTE=Dean] I've name-dropped all the prog people I've met over the years many times before, so I'll just mention those who approached me rather than the ones I've summoned the nerve to go up and talk to. A few years ago Ex-Enid guitarist Francis Lickerish, now of Secret Green, contacted me out of the blue enquiring after an oil-painting I'd painted of him back in 1977. 

Separated at birth? LOL

Francis sent me the most amazing emails and I truly cross the borderline with The Enid ..so imagine how overwhelmed I was to converse with him about his life and guitar playing. I loved his attack on guitar which is unlike anyone's .  Then after about the third email, he began to call me Chrissy. I then explained properly that Chrissy was my wife and that my name was Johnny. But he continued to address me as Chrissy for the entire communication process between us. I mentioned how great of an idea it would be to transfer the video tape of Hammersmith 79" to DVD. He offered to mail what he stated was the sole copy of the concert, granting me permission to transfer it. Being a naturally dreamer type, I forgot that British video tapes were not functional on American made machines. I was so nervous about having that tape in my house that I raced to the post office the next morning to mail it back to him and spent extra money for a quicker method than first class. In about 2. Years time after our conversing Hammersmith 79" was released on DVD. 

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:41
To Dean, your oil painting of Francis Lickerish is just the best and it really brings out the spirit of what he feels during a performance on electric guitar. This is a very unique work of art and additionally a complete rarity. I love this story to death and the experience is very meaningful. And...btw, Francis Lickerish might not realize that he influenced some serious guitarists in America. Guitarists in the late 70"s and early 80"s who traveled the road performing in progressive bands, original and cover, who were very aware of The Stand and ordered import albums of The Enid. Your painting means a Lot to these fans.

Posted By: timbo
Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 13:01
I met Steve Hackett briefly once, after a gig at Bradford student's union. I think it was the Highly Strung tour, probably about 1983.

I was at Leeds uni and I'd gone over with a couple of friends. We met a guy in the bar who wrote for the Bradford student's union newspaper who said he was doing an interview after the show for the paper.

My mate then said he wrote for the Leeds uni paper, and managed to blag himself a free ticket. After the show he was then expected to interview Steve, but he had no questions prepared - unlike his Bradford counterpart. I was outside the room but could hear the interview, and was in stitches with my other mate while he bumbled through an interview.

Steve to his credit was very polite and patient, but he must have been thinking "what an idiot"!

Mind you, my friend probably still did better than I would have, I'd have been too star-struck at the time.

Posted By: infandous
Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 14:14
Can't really say I've had contact with any particularly famous musicians, but I am good friends with nearly the whole Frogg Cafe band.  Hung out with them at Nearfest 2003, before I'd ever even heard any of their music.  Hung out with them at various Nearfests and gigs of theirs since then.  It was via them that I got to talk to the brothers in Izz for a while after walking out of a performance at Nearfest.  It was during that conversation that Roger Dean passed out on the floor after drinking a beer offered to him by Frogg Cafe's violin player (apparently, he hadn't had a drink in years, and this particular beer was a high alcohol content beer......I guess he chugged it down, though I didn't see that part).  Come to think of it, Roger Dean asked me if I was heading towards New York City after Nearfest, I guess he needed a ride.  Unfortunately I was going the opposite direction.  I think he may have ended up riding with one of the Frogg Cafe guys.

I also had dinner with Karmakanic once, which was fairly entertaining.  Jonas Reingold tried to explain to the waitress how in Sweden, they don't use money, they pay for everything with cheese, lol.  I've chatted briefly with Roine Stolt, and spent a good half hour talking about music with Hasse Bruniusson, Flower Kings percussionist and founding member of Samla Mammas Manna.

Oh yeah......me and a friend, and a couple of the guys from Frogg Cafe cornered Chirstian Vander at Nearfest 2007 to ask him to translate "Polish my mumper" into Kobian (it was written on the back of my Cardboard Amanda shirt.....the guitarist of Frogg Cafe's side project).  He said it wasn't possible, because Kobian isn't a real language and he just makes it up as he goes along (or something to that effect).

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 15:26
Originally posted by timbo timbo wrote:

Mind you, my friend probably still did better than I would have, I'd have been too star-struck at the time.

I was about to say - why didn't you run in and help the poor guy out? LOL

Fun story though - thanks. Cool

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: May 11 2014 at 23:03
Really great posts here! Ironically it's sometimes easier to shake hands and chat with a famous progger when you"'re a fan and not a musician traveling the road. The road is so incredibly high pressured and everyone becomes so increasingly tired that a conversation between bands is repressed often. I've shaken hands and chatted with famous comedians and musicians during road travel in the 70"s and 80"s, but those conversations were often cut short because the celebrities would be pulled away on the spot by fans. Fans were very important in those days! Interestingly enough, I am now able to read fantastic stories written by some of those fans who are now members of P.A. I find Mothman interesting. Although it can not be proven that he exists, if in fact he did, I would like to meet him. He, she, it...has a great deal of explaining to do.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: May 12 2014 at 12:20
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

If a bit pretentious.

Yeah ... without the keyboards, it seems that too much of the stuff is not considered progressive.

Oh well, there's always kettle drums and tea spoons!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: May 12 2014 at 12:48
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

If a bit pretentious.

Yeah ... without the keyboards, it seems that too much of the stuff is not considered progressive.

Oh well, there's always kettle drums and tea spoons!
Yet "rock with keyboards" does not equate to "symphonic rock" or "symphonic prog" even though some people think that a rock album with four long songs is a symphony. 

Funny old world we live in.

-------------
What?

Posted By: King Manuel
Date Posted: May 17 2014 at 07:17
I am Facebook friends with Phideaux Xavier and Charlie Dominici.

-------------
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus

Posted By: dude
Date Posted: May 29 2014 at 06:26
NOPE no prog connection here.

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: May 29 2014 at 07:48
I've met many many prog musicians that are in bands that no one cares about. <3

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: May 29 2014 at 07:56
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

You've met Emerson, Lake and Palmer? get outta here girlfriend....

-------------

Posted By: Timbo1961
Date Posted: May 29 2014 at 16:53
I was asked to audition for Grey Lady Down. I didn't get the gig though.

Date Posted: May 29 2014 at 19:25
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Like who?

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2014 at 19:31
I'd really love to meet all the members of Genesis, especially Hackett, Gabriel, and Banks. I'd also love to meet David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Alan White, Bill Bruford, Chris Squire, John Wetton, Adrian Belew, Chester Thompson, Rick Wakeman, Andy Latimer, Alex Lifeson, etc. I would have loved to have met Richard Wright and Pete Bardens as well.

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2014 at 23:04
Be sure to check out if your local music stores invite musicians in to hold clinics!  I met Mike Keneally that way & had a great chat with him about when he appeared onstage with Fripp during the G3 tour in 2004.  Keneally soloed over Fripp's soundscapes, it was amazing!!  

Posted By: The Jester
Date Posted: May 31 2014 at 12:01
Not sure if what I'm going to write here are counting as connections, but so far are the following:
One time in my radio show I invited as guest Stuart Nicholson, the singer of Galahad in order to present one of their albums. He logged in and listen to the whole 2 hours of my show, plus 1 extra hour on which we were just having fun. (football, favorite musicians etc). After that, every now and then he logs in to listen to my show and in order to have a chat. Twice he logged in together with Galahad's keyboard player Dean Spencer. Further than that we are communicating often with e-mails, and once he offered me a pass for one concert they were giving I don't remember where, but I was dramatically broke! :(
  Next, I had as guests in my radio show Chris Wade from Dodson & Fogg, both guys from Spiral Key, and lately Sonja-Kristina from Curved Air. (In her case we extended the show for almost 40 minutes because we were all having great time).
 That's all so far, but I think there will be more very soon... (I hope so at least)...

-------------
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: June 03 2014 at 00:25
I have met lots of prog musicians over the years. I also have lots of autographed cds but at some point I stopped doing that. I corresponded with two bands in particular because I did interviews with them. I had planned on doing more interviews and spoke to several bands about it but one bad experience from a certain nameless band ruined it all for me.

Posted By: auxfnx
Date Posted: June 03 2014 at 08:10
I have remixed music for Bosnian Rainbows (Omar Rodriguez Lopez & Deantoni Parks of the Mars Volta are in that band)! Spoke to the band each time they were in Ireland, even sorted some smoke for them ;)

Posted By: JefferySvenson
Date Posted: June 09 2014 at 18:40
I talk to Mike Howlett of Gong on a somewhat regular basis. Hell, we've even had some drinks at a local gig. He's really a pleasant guy, and often gives useful career advice.

Date Posted: June 09 2014 at 21:18
I recently became  facebook friends with Triumvirat's Barry Palmer. He seems a super nice and genuine person.

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: June 09 2014 at 23:22
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Unfortunately for him I'd given the painting as a present to a friend fairly soon after I had finished it. Co-incidentally that friend and I had chatted with Francis and Steve Stewart in the bar after the gig in Bedford that the painting was from.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Separated at birth? </span>LOL
...so <span style="line-height: 1.2;">not because of our sparkling wit and repartee then... Wink</span>

wow!! You are now gonna be known to me as 'Clive Dean.'   

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: June 09 2014 at 23:35
Had a brief and nice conversation with Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, OSI, Chroma Key) and discussed how it was a good idea that he left DT to become an independent unique artist. Very cool guy and wicked smart!
I've also met and shook the hand of Max Cavalera of Soulfly (ex-Sepultura.)
I also still to this day talk regularly with Adam Petersen of The Passionate Few ( formerly known as Seventh Circle.)
We even play 'words with friends' very often. And yes. I kick his ass! . Great guy and he is ERIC CLAYTON's of Saviour Machine best friend. Adam is in charge of all things Saviour Machine and has hooked me up with so many cool rarities of Saviour machine memorabilia. :)

That's pretty much it. I have to say that I'd really get along with about 90% of all my musical heroes. They seem like incredibly cool people. :)

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk