Forum Description: Help us improve the forums, and the site as a whole
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98182
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 20:43
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Thumbs up or down on album reviews
Posted By: Dr. Occulator
Subject: Thumbs up or down on album reviews
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 15:53
Just a thought after reading some album reviews I don't necessarily agree with.

It may be useful and also popular to have P.A. followers give a thumbs up or a thumbs down to a particular album review. This may help to give a more reliably consensus whether or not a review is agreed by the majority or minority.

I realize everyone has their own opinion but if a particular album has been getting mostly 4 to 5 starts and a reviewer gives 1 star this may help him see if his reasons stated in the review are compelling or not and also vice versa where a generally poor consensus suddenly gets a 5 star review which I believe is more common.

Anyway just throwing this idea out there and welcome any comments.

Cheers to all.

-------------
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.

Replies:
Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 16:30
Originally posted by Dr. Occulator Dr. Occulator wrote:

It may be useful and also popular to have P.A. followers give a thumbs up or a thumbs down to a particular album review. This may help to give a more reliably consensus whether or not a review is agreed by the majority or minority.

I realize everyone has their own opinion but if a particular album has been getting mostly 4 to 5 starts and a reviewer gives 1 star this may help him see if his reasons stated in the review are compelling or not and also vice versa where a generally poor consensus suddenly gets a 5 star review which I believe is more common.

Cheers to all.

Boy, don't we all wish we had a "Review-the-Reviewer" option for newspaper and magazine rock critics who regularly attack prog albums? I would want a "pound sand" option. Wink

Anyway, I don't particularly care for the option you are suggesting for PA. If someone offers a reasoned and well-written critique of an album, why punish him/her for harboring an opposing view? Someone is bound to get hundreds of thumbs up for praising a certain Gabriel-led Genesis album just as someone would get as many thumbs down for desecrating a King Crimson album with sacrilegious opinions. We don't want a popularity contest for reviews. 

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 17:12
^completely agree with you Dark Elf.

Also, why not use the already existing reviews discussion? Or if you really dig a review, then highlight it in Sagi's "I really like your review!!!" thread.
Let's not go down the Facebook path of 'likes'-galore. I fear it would blow up in our faces.....and what's all this about having to 'rate' everything? It's practically everywhere I look in modern media. "Nice somersault! I'll give it a 3.5"

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 18:41
Sounds a lot like Amazon's feature of "Was this Review Helpful? Yes/No"  Which isn't a bad idea in itself, if there are 500 reviews of an album and a newbie wants to know which one to read first.  But more than likely, it'll be used to rate the album rather than the review - e.g. a well written review gives 2 stars to Joe's favorite album, so he votes "NAY!" on that review.  Then all the discussion and flak that will ensue from there.   

It's not a bad idea, but good intentions often turn to nightmares around here.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 18:43
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Also, why not use the already existing reviews discussion? Or if you really dig a review, then highlight it in Sagi's "I really like your review!!!" thread.
Let's not go down the Facebook path of 'likes'-galore.

I think reviews discussion and "I really like your review!!!" thread are not for everybody. You have to have the time and will to discuss some review or to explain why you like it. Too much effort in many cases. And the review should be extraordinary to force the reader to send PM to reviewer.

In my opinion something similar to Facebook "likes" is a good form of feedback. With the help of "likes" you may at least know that somebody read your review. Why not to have this harmless feature?

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 18:47
Pass from me as well. There are already sufficient options to express your opinion on other peoples opinions IMO.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 04:25
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

In my opinion something similar to Facebook "likes" is a good form of feedback.
It will be a kind of an ambiguous feedback. There are different, subjective degrees of praise and criticism. Why round them up to a thumb down or a thumb up and just leave it at that? The thumbs will leave a lot to be desired. Besides, at what point does "take it or leave it" not kick in?

With the help of "likes" you may at least know that somebody read your review.
Some people don't read reviews in their entirety, and having this system would be useless. I wouldn't assume any large benefit of the wisdom for any reviews from the people who frequent this site.

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 06:36

Let's not go down the Facebook path of 'likes'-galore.

I think reviews discussion and "I really like your review!!!" thread are not for everybody. You have to have the time and will to discuss some review or to explain why you like it. Too much effort in many cases. And the review should be extraordinary to force the reader to send PM to reviewer.

In my opinion something similar to Facebook "likes" is a good form of feedback. With the help of "likes" you may at least know that somebody read your review. Why not to have this harmless feature?

Like I said, I'm really not a fan of the whole 'likes' thing on Facebook. More than anything, I find it irritating. You can't post anything - or just be online without people asking/pleading you to 'like' something. When you don't people start getting insulted.... and what does a simple thumbs up say about anything really? 
As for the already existing threads: one doesn't need to post a full synopsis of X review. A lot of the times I see people just making a quick shout-out to highlight a given album. "Hey Bernhard!! I really loved your Torman Maxt review here the other day!"
Doesn't need to be anything more than that. 
As for the reviews discussion - at least you get some kind of bearing on what people think of X review. Seeing a thumbs down on your review doesn't tell you anything other than the person who rated you didn't like it. On here you at least get an explanation.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 07:14
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Sounds a lot like Amazon's feature of "Was this Review Helpful? Yes/No"  Which isn't a bad idea in itself, if there are 500 reviews of an album and a newbie wants to know which one to read first.  But more than likely, it'll be used to rate the album rather than the review - e.g. a well written review gives 2 stars to Joe's favorite album, so he votes "NAY!" on that review.  Then all the discussion and flak that will ensue from there.   

It's not a bad idea, but good intentions often turn to nightmares around here.
This is exaclty how I read this as well. I think there is good intention in the OP, but also likely that the function would not work as intended

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 07:24
Reading my posts back I think I may have come on a bit strong, but that's essentially how I feel. Wasn't meant to denigrate the OPs intentionsEmbarrassed 

One thing though: how often do you see changes in the forum software? I mean, we've had some really good ideas on how to better the site, like the add on of half stars, using individual album tagging etc, -some of which are ideas which have been discussed the past 6-8 years, yet even if we all seem to agree on these things, nothing really happens, because in the end it is up to one guy. 
Oh well we can dreamWink

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 12:24
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

In my opinion something similar to Facebook "likes" is a good form of feedback.
It will be a kind of an ambiguous feedback. There are different, subjective degrees of praise and criticism. Why round them up to a thumb down or a thumb up and just leave it at that? The thumbs will leave a lot to be desired. Besides, at what point does "take it or leave it" not kick in?

With the help of "likes" you may at least know that somebody read your review.
Some people don't read reviews in their entirety, and having this system would be useless. I wouldn't assume any large benefit of the wisdom for any reviews from the people who frequent this site.

Existing forms of feedback on PA, except PMs, don't have direct connection to reviews. I don't think many people visit discussion reviews threads. If the review is written long time ago I can't imagine someone will search through the forum whether it has been discussed.

A simple "Thanks" (or "Like") button near a review could indicate at least some interest (ot the lack of it) to each review. I think it would be useful, though I can live without it. 

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 00:28
I wouldn't want this option in place for fear of gaining too many 'thumb downs' - it would hurt my already cracked ego.......(but then I review once a blue moon and no-one probably notices anyway......)

Posted By: Matti
Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 00:51
Definitely NO! The biggest reason why I haven't signed into Facebook is that I see the thumbing culture so banal and stupid. Of course the nature of Facebook - and social media by and large - just happens to be such, and I deeply wish that our dear ProgArchives keeps away from those banalities.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 01:00
^ Good point--  it is a bit common

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 14:36
So you, guys, write reviews and don't give a sh*t whether they are read or not? Right?

-------------

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 14:52
^ Ok, how about this: a number of views that only you can see ... ? Other people don't want to know how many times your review has been read.

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 19:49
^ Will not work. How to count views without a button if the review is read on the main page or on the album page?

And why so secretly? I prefer to see the number of likes (or views, no matter) for other people reviews. In order to compare my impression with others. Pure curiosity, nothing more. Smile 

-------------

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 19:52
Touché, evidently.

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: January 24 2015 at 10:30
Let's revive this. I posted this in a thread that was so derailed it was moved to Just For Fun. This is not for fun, so here goes....

Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

There is no need to put rules on reviews, but having something in place to have them judged visibly by readers could be beneficial. I'm thinking along the lines of having a feature (beyond a Facebook like button) to rate reviews, or vote them up/down would help in different ways:

• serious reviewers would get feedback on whether or not their reviews are appreciated
  • bad reviewers (fanboy reviews, or malicious ones - if these latter exist at all) will get the same
  • readers looking for info will be able to judge review(er)s themselves and select the ones their fellow readers appreciate most

Similar features exist on Amazon, ProgPlanet, and other places - and why not? It encourages reviewers to improve their skills and readers to find useful information.

But what's the point of writing this here, now that this has been moved to Just For Fun.... 

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 02:06
^ I agree that from a visitor perspective there is nothing currently available that provides any indication of which reviewers are considered more credible than others (apart from the Prog Reviewer/Forum Senior Member demarcation) Is there a danger however, that if we had some sort of 'league table' which measured the perceived worth of the reviewers work, those occupying the lower positions would become disheartened and stop submitting reviews? Although this might reduce fanboy/disingenuous reviews it might also tempt more members to reach for the 'rating only' button rather than risk some visible negative feedback?

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 04:32
Maybe, but if a reviewer really wants to do more than just dump his thoughts, i.e. have others benefit from it, he'll see it as a reason to improve and not to quit. That's when a thread like this becomes more meaninful - for the reviewer rather than the visitor.

-------------
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 04:49
^ I laud the aim of course as something like this is long overdue, but you seem to have more faith in the motives and intelligence of the members than IShocked

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 06:19
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ I laud the aim of course as something like this is long overdue, but you seem to have more faith in the motives and intelligence of the members than IShocked

LOL you were always the wise one Evil Smile

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 06:35
Leave it micky. No need to derail this again.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 06:39

Intelligence is no issue here, online social skills are a bigger danger. See your point, but I'm getting fed up with the way we seem to try to please the minority rather than focus on our goals - on PA as well as in saily life. Not doing something because one small subset of people may not like it is not exactly progress...

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 06:51

Leave it micky. No need to derail this again.

LOL  My hard earned repuation as master thread derailer preceeds me I see. However it wasn't my intent to derail.

in the spirit of that. I'll toss out my two cents.

It is a bad idea.  Some could care less what others think of them, however some do and giving the ability to give thumbs up and thumbs down could, and likely would knowing how some people's 'dislike' of a review is not the review itself but based of love of the album getting panned.  It creates division man, and one of the MANY great things about this forum is the lack of that, as well as cliques of popular folk so to speak.

Perhaps thumbs up only, but again that serves no purpose, it is as it always has been IMO. If you don't like a particullar review of an album, then one should get off their ass and write a review (subtly and intelligently) debunking the review in question. As far as showing the love,  that is what PM's are for, hell.. we even have a thread especially for giving slaps on the back for reviews and reviewers we like.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 06:59
Let's leave the thumbs up or down to Yahoo! and their ilk. This is a serious site, and appreciation (or lack thereof) of reviews can be expressed in different ways. PA is different from other websites in that it offers its members the opportunity to write a review without having to be vetted beforehand - as long as they follow a few simple guidelines. While, of course, this allows subpar reviews to be posted, the amount of truly good reviews more than makes up for that. In my view, however, it is essential to draw the line at openly manipulative (or, conversely) derogatory reviews, but without resorting to "thumbs down" - which in itself might lead to other kinds of manipulation.

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:03
yeah.. I got off an a tangent.. and missed the heart of the idea when trying to drive a stake into it.

we allow the (damned IMO) notion of allowing people to rate albums rather than review them. Why?

becauase the site (wisely I must admit even though I don't like ratings w/o review) strive to ENCOURAGE reviews.

this idea would do nothing but discourage them, if the aim is to show love for reviews. We have a thread for that. NO good comes from singling out reviews/reviews that are unpopular

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:03
Once reasoning starts being based on 'likely' and 'probably' the argument is a moot point as far as I'm concerned, Mick. You'll have to better to convince me. It works elsewhere, so why not here?

As an active reviewer I am interested in knowing - directly, not by scrolling through pages of forum discussion. I can imagine you see that differently, with one review in the last 5 years (at least on PA).

Either way, I think it's a good idea, but if it doesn't I'll rely on the 400+ visitors a week that visit my reviews and track-of-the-day blog.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:05

You'll have to better to convince me. It works elsewhere, so why not here?

see my last post. What possible benefit to the site would this bring.

I can sure point out the negative, which run completely contrary the overall good of the site. Encouraging people TO review.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:12

Intelligence is no issue here, online social skills are a bigger danger. See your point, but I'm getting fed up with the way we seem to try to please the minority rather than focus on our goals - on PA as well as in saily life. Not doing something because one small subset of people may not like it is not exactly progress...

Yep, I concede that appeasing a demographic who submit poor reviews is maybe a bit like that attitude prevalent in education where ALL the kids are handed a pass lest little Bobbie suffer the psychological scarring for being deemed 'a bit s.h.i.t' - there is no other Prog site I know that allows any members to submit unvetted reviews (hence our appeal to instant gratification etc) Would we attract significantly less valuable members if we made it that little bit harder to submit reviews? e.g. only after say > 3 months with the first one subject to vetting? (even that might prove an onerous workload) BTW the principal reason we allow rating only reviews is to allow non english speakers to participate in the site. This does bring its fair share of problems with ratings manipulation etc but I'm torn if removing the facility would improve the site?

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:16
Better reviews, less criticism on other sites because of the massive amount of fanboy reviews, in short - fixing some loss of reputation. Living inside PA only you don't notice but it's not all sunshine.

Encouraging people to review is good, but it has downsides as well.

And then there is the last bullet in my first post here. There is such a thing as respect for the artist. Some reviews don't show any of that at all but remain online. Allowing readers to mark those adds to the above...

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:20

Better reviews, less criticism on other sites because of the massive amount of fanboy reviews, in short - fixing some loss of reputation. Living inside PA only you don't notice but it's not all sunshine.

Encouraging people to review is good, but it has downsides as well.

And then there is the last bullet in my first post here. There is such a thing as respect for the artist. Some reviews don't show any of that at all but remain online. Allowing readers to mark those adds to the above...

As I have contributed to other sites, and also spent a lot of time on Facebook in the past few years before I deleted my account, I am aware of the comments on PA's "fanboy" reviews. This is why, in my previous post (which you probably didn't see), I mentioned drawing the line at openly manipulative (i.e. "fanboy) or derogatory reviews (those that blatantly disrespect the artists).

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:25
^^ I have no quibble with any of that Angelo (if we had the resources I'd have all reviews vetted to ensure quality trumps quantity) but you and I both know that convincing the majority of active and participating members would be a long and arduous battle e.g cast your mind back to when the league table of most PROLIFIC reviewers was removed from the front page, half the members started a splinter group facebook campaign for its return with a list of demands (including hard hats and police escorts for the admins)Unhappy

-------------

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:29
An issue I see here is fanboyism diluting Angelo's honest intentions. If I rate Riverside with 2 stars, then it is likely that some fanboys will dislike this and rate down my review regardless of content (and vice versa with a very good album of a well-known band). Unless we have a means of controlling this, it might end up in total mess.

IMO, the threads re "I like your review" and "inappropriate reviews and ratings", although not mass-attracting means, serve a purpose.

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:30
Missed that indeed, phone screens are small...

I see your point there, but it only works that way only partly. There are many good reviews indeed, but most of them are on the 'major' bands and albums. Less reviewed bands and albums are easily crushed by getting destructive reviews (well disguised sometimes) or by getting the reputation of being a 'fan boy band/album'. 

With all the effort spend on including new bands over the past 5 years, I don't think it is in PA's best interest to let that continue, with the sole protection of 'some guidelines'.

Besides that, you seem to be completely ignoring two parts of what I'm trying to get across. First, encouraging reviewers has been part of PA for the reason that it helps people find good information on the music presented by the bands (the first goal of the site is publishing that information!). That works, but it doesn't help new visitors judge the quality or validity of what is written - a thumb up/down or score makes that easier.
Second, feedback hidden deep down in a forum thread is not exactly helpful to a reviewer, given that it tends to go unnoticed.

And for the heck of it, I know the two of you have strong opinions, and you are entitled to those, but it would be great to hear some others here as well... Where is everyone on this freakish, dreary cold Sunday afternoon?

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:36

I see your point there, but it only works that way only partly. There are many good reviews indeed, but most of them are on the 'major' bands and albums. Less reviewed bands and albums are easily crushed by getting destructive reviews (well disguised sometimes) or by getting the reputation of being a 'fan boy band/album'. 

With all the effort spend on including new bands over the past 5 years, I don't think it is in PA's best interest to let that continue, with the sole protection of 'some guidelines'.

Besides that, you seem to be completely ignoring two parts of what I'm trying to get across. First, encouraging reviewers has been part of PA for the reason that it helps people find good information on the music presented by the bands (the first goal of the site is publishing that information!). That works, but it doesn't help new visitors judge the quality or validity of what is written - a thumb up/down or score makes that easier.
Second, feedback hidden deep down in a forum thread is not exactly helpful to a reviewer, given that it tends to go unnoticed.

And for the heck of it, I know the two of you have strong opinions, and you are entitled to those, but it would be great to hear some others here as well... Where is everyone on this freakish, dreary cold Sunday afternoon?

To answer your question, generally this is the time of day when the forum gets the least traffic - both on weekdays and weekends. Anyway, I am off to do some housework now, so this is the last you'll hear from me for a while.

Back to the issue at hand, I see your point, and absolutely agree about bad reviews being detrimental for lesser-known bands. However, I don't think that having a thumbs up/down button will encourage people to review the hundreds of albums (some of them excellent) that currently have no reviews whatsoever.

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:39

^^ I have no quibble with any of that Angelo (if we had the resources I'd have all reviews vetted to ensure quality trumps quantity) but you and I both know that convincing the majority of active and participating members would be a long and arduous battle e.g cast your mind back to when the league table of most PROLIFIC reviewers was removed from the front page, half the members started a splinter group facebook campaign for its return with a list of demands (including hard hats and police escorts for the admins)Unhappy

I think I was there... the hard hat dented and scratched must be in the attic somewhere...

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:42
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

To answer your question, generally this is the time of day when the forum gets the least traffic - both on weekdays and weekends. Anyway, I am off to do some housework now, so this is the last you'll hear from me for a while.

Errm... how could I forget after being here for over 8 years... ;)

Back to the issue at hand, I see your point, and absolutely agree about bad reviews being detrimental for lesser-known bands. However, I don't think that having a thumbs up/down button will encourage people to review the hundreds of albums (some of them excellent) that currently have no reviews whatsoever.

Never said that that would be the effect of having thumsb up/down, completely different topic.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:43
Off to sound editing now... got an audio interview waiting to be finished for four weeks already. I'll pick up later.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:45
yeah. I'll take that cue to say my last two cents and leave it for others to chime in.

...or do anything with the read elephant in the room as to the source of 'discredit' this site has in the larger world.

My first experience at Nearfest I'll always remember when I was talking to someone and mentioned the site, and it got laughed at.  It wasn't because of the reviews. This site does not have a good rep out 'there'. The reviews and the legions of fanboys that we have endured here are a part of it,  from what I've heard from people. It is not the salient reason why.  Thumbs up or down will do nothing.. unless you go fascist on the forum itself.  It would likley do nothing but discourage people from reviewing.. some out of disgust for the whole notion of being subject to being reviewed themselves.. some simply not having enough confidence in their abilities to put out a review to only see it trashed because they might offend either fanboys or the 'review police' who take it upon themselves to judge good reviews.. from bad.

A bad idea... and one that does nothing to fix a 'problem' that is part of the overall charm and appeal of the site.  Good reviews have a thread specifically made for pointing them out.. continued reviewing excellence gets you promoted...  not so good reviewers remain in the wasteland of nameless/faceless Joe 6-pack reviewers whose reviews are quickly forgotten after they are bumped from the main page.

it is cutting off the head of the charm of this place, a place for everyone to have their say, to cure a slight headache

peace out!! LOL

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:46
Vetting album reviews is in principle a good idea.  Metal archives used to do pre submission vetting.  Even reasonably well written and coherent reviews would get rejected if they were piling onto a mountain of reviews for a well known album without any original insight to offer.  Sort of, hard luck but you don't get to review DSOTM just because you would like to.  I think this system did force reviewers to up their game. 

The question is, who will put their hands up for review moderation?  MA had enough moderators to look after band as well as review submissions (which were both in greater numbers than in PA).  

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:50
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Vetting album reviews is in principle a good idea.  Metal archives used to do pre submission vetting.  Even reasonably well written and coherent reviews would get rejected if they were piling onto a mountain of reviews for a well known album without any original insight to offer.  Sort of, hard luck but you don't get to review DSOTM just because you would like to.  I think this system did force reviewers to up their game. 

The question is, who will put their hands up for review moderation?  MA had enough moderators to look after band as well as review submissions (which were both in greater numbers than in PA).  

Would vetting a new member's first review be sufficient? (I'm not even sure if we have the manpower to handle that....)

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:54
It could be a start.  In MA, they used to vet each and every review.  There were no VIPs. Everybody had to go through the system.  Even if they let your review through the gate, it was still up for questioning by members of the website.  And if it was felt the review wasn't up to the mark, it could get taken off the website.  A very rigorous system for which, as you said, we don't really have the required manpower.  

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:59

Me neither. 
It boils down to the reviewer and his/her tastes. Are you interested in the road less travelled, or do you want more of the same from the exact same bands? It doesn't matter what kind of subgenre you stick to - there are unreviewed albums everywhere on PA. The only way we fix that is by keeping the already existing PA method, where everyone is free to review whatever they feel like regardless of their collab status or lingo problems (as long as we can make sense of the review). 
If we narrow down the amount of possible reviewers we objectively get a smaller chance of reviewing more albums - obscure or not. Simple maths.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 08:00

Would vetting a new member's first review be sufficient? (I'm not even sure if we have the manpower to handle that....)

I certainly wouldn't want the jobLOL

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 08:00
I'm sure finding volunteers for being a jack-booted force of setting and enforcing 'reviewing standards' would be no problem. That would be a hoot, and I'd probably volunteer for it.  LOL 

oh by the way... forget all the less than sexy stuff that needs help around here like all the incomplete bios, unreviewed albums, bands that might or might not be added.

Some of us invested YEARS into that hard work, and still there remains years of work to bring up to snuff the real importance of the site.  What is really important and needing the sites real attention. Not pulling collabs to be review judge and juries but work on the less than glamorous but much more vital things.

Not reviews, but the database.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 08:06
^^^  Sadly, the most undervalued function of the website.  No, what counts is somebody jacked up the ratings of XYZ album and somebody else wrote a very harsh review of ABC.  

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 08:06
I gotta say, I'd rather see the collabs having a bit of spare time to do a review or two. The large bulk of the people working in the teams probably do so because they started out as reviewers. I love it when they find time for a little write-up - something that happened far more frequently back when I started out using this site, but recently with the maelstrom of band suggestions has become an increasingly rare thing.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 08:16

If we narrow down the amount of possible reviewers we objectively get a smaller chance of reviewing more albums - obscure or not. Simple maths.

OK, fair point. New members first review has to be a previously unreviewed album? (call it a rites of passage if you will)
Assuming it's up to scratch, (and they are given their PA standard issue jackboots) they can review whatever they like thereafter....

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 08:18
LOL
Obscure album from your native country no less mr Scotsman.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 08:23

LOL
Obscure album from your native country no less mr Scotsman.

but seriously though, does the idea not even have a sliver of merit? (there are thousands of the critters to choose from and even if they have to buy one, we're seen to be boosting the artists income and what other website lifetime membership can be had for the price of a CD dammit...)Wink

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 08:27
Mjeaah maybe so but implementing more rules on how to review properly might just work counter productively. Knowing you, Iain, if you were told what to review you'd probably go in the complete opposite direction.
'Obscure albums my arse! Here's a little Foxtrot write-up lads'

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 08:40

Mjeaah maybe so but implementing more rules on how to review properly might just work counter productively. Knowing you, Iain, if you were told what to review you'd probably go in the complete opposite direction.
'Obscure albums my arse! Here's a little Foxtrot write-up lads'

Me yes probably, but this is a brand new member who is (theoretically) eager to please and it's a 'first review requirement' only so the software should be able to be configured accordingly (like the poll creation limitation). (Earn yer stripes etc) If the noob tells us to get f*cked they wouldn't have contributed anything of value to the site anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 08:45
For a start, at least the website could stop accepting reviews for albums with more than a certain threshold of reviews.  For eg, CTTE has 489 reviews.  What purpose do fresh reviews for this album serve at this point? I speak as one who has reviewed several of the classics.  Yeah, I gamed the system.  But I don't think it is a particularly good one if we want to have reviews of a certain quality.  

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 08:57
^ Yes, you are right, review #490 for an album contributes squat to the site, but that's a dangerous road methinks as we can't afford to be seen to dictate to members what they can and cannot review (many people probably joined the site because CTTE, BSS or Foxtrot etc was their introduction to Prog and who are we to deny them a platform designed to share that love around?) I still think we can exploit some leverage from brand new members however as to what they can choose for their first review. (Although it stands to reason that many of these unreviewed albums could be obscure and difficult to obtain...I haven't thought through that part properly as Guldbamsen so adroitly reminds meUnhappy)

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 09:03

For a start, at least the website could stop accepting reviews for albums with more than a certain threshold of reviews.  For eg, CTTE has 489 reviews.  What purpose do fresh reviews for this album serve at this point? I speak as one who has reviewed several of the classics.  Yeah, I gamed the system.  But I don't think it is a particularly good one if we want to have reviews of a certain quality.  

When I joined the site, I knew very little (if anything) about "modern" prog, while I was reasonably knowledgeable about the classics - and this is where I started from, almost 10 years ago. However, things have changed now, and people can listen to albums on Bandcamp or Progstreaming, and then write a review if they feel like it. A lot of great music is out there at everyone's disposal - legally and for free - but the word needs to be spread in some way. This is why I would endorse putting a cap on reviews of overexposed albums. Adding albums to the database, and then letting them sink into oblivion for lack of reviews - while the classics buckle under the sheer weight of the words written about them - is not what this site should be about.

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 09:07
@ Exitthelemming: That would bring down the number of reviews even more drastically. We would have to call on people who have some level of commitment to the prog scene to write reviews.  Most people just want to listen to prog, as opposed to supporting small local bands and that's absolutely fine. But that cannot be a reason for PA to become everybody's personal prog blogspot.

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 09:07
as a note on the 'times have changed' note.. again.. banging hard on this notion that less than stellar reviews are detrimental to the site.

it is a new world out there...  many reviewers simply don't review for this site anymore.  Blogs and dedicated review sites have come and surpassed sites like this as prime outlets for that kind of information.  To beat a dead horse.. because it is what I love doing.. reviews are not the problem the site faces.  It is recruiting talent and motivated people to do the dirty work for the site. The database.

The aspect in which this site still has, and always has had, the MOST value in the larger prog world. Reason 1 I am so against this. If the site wants to be proactive.. do so in a way it is needed. Don't waste time with silly notions like this.. do so in a way that really is needed.

my two cents as always Wink

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 09:26
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

as a note on the 'times have changed' note.. again.. banging hard on this notion that less than stellar reviews are detrimental to the site.

it is a new world out there...  many reviewers simply don't review for this site anymore.  Blogs and dedicated review sites have come and surpassed sites like this as prime outlets for that kind of information.  To beat a dead horse.. because it is what I love doing.. reviews are not the problem the site faces.  It is recruiting talent and motivated people to do the dirty work for the site. The database.

The aspect in which this site still has, and always has had, the MOST value in the larger prog world. Reason 1 I am so against this. If the site wants to be proactive.. do so in a way it is needed. Don't waste time with silly notions like this.. do so in a way that really is needed.

my two cents as always Wink

Maybe so.  But my friend was after me to add his band (Rainburn) to the website as well as to review it.  He got his album reviewed at a bunch of websites.  Young bands need all the exposure they can get.  So even if that may not be a USP of PA anymore, it is still a worthwhile function.  Also, letting people review might get them interested enough to eventually want to get involved in a bigger way in the website.  I would think people would want to get involved in adding bands.  That's a much more challenging job to do imo because a silly review can be rewritten but a band once added cannot be removed from the database.  If there aren't too many takers for that, well, that's disappointing, is all I can say.  

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 09:39
indeed.  Young bands do need the exposure.  A complete different issue. A much larger one, one that is beyhond the scope and help of this site. Far too many bands, far too few listeners.  It is Prog Darwinism out there. I've seen great bands wither and die for lack of support. Bands with highly regarded albums including good reviews here and elsewhere. It is jungle out there for new bands. Nothing we can do about that. We catalog them.  Promote them as best we can, but in the end. ahhh.. beginning to drift way off topic.

Winnowing down the reviewer base or placing demands/restrictions on them won't do a thing to help with that. Especially as the very open review policy does little as it is to help promote them. This site's primary mission, it always has been, is not to promote them. We can't do that as much as we would like to, it is to catalog them. Give the information.  I'd love to see the site be more proactive.. always have.. but it does fly in the face of what the site is geared for, and what it does best. Something no one else does.  Provides easily found information from the biggest, to the most obscure.

An album gets reviewed here.. what happens..  it sits on the main page.. perhaps a few see it. Again, many bands and readers have realized that shift and approach these bloggers and prominent reviewers for dedicated review sites to give promos with the reasonable assumption they will be reviewed and be displayed for people to read, not merely show up here on the main page for a day .. sometimes less.. before being bounced.  I just don't see reviews being that important to the main goals of the site. Other places are being used, and rightfully so, for the mission.

-------------

Posted By: Windhawk
Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 09:51
The value of a site like PA, to a much greater extent than any blog or review site out there, is that this is a place where curious people will look around. And while the initial impact of a review is limited, it will still be seen when someone stumbles upon it if by chance or if by actively looking for information on that band or album. Which happens more often than on the greater majority of blogs out there, whose number of active readers are rather limited more often than not. There are blogs and even review sites set up out there primarily for the purpose of getting free music I've been told, although I haven't checked myself to verify. But even if that isn't always the case, there are a plethora of blogs where the number of readers more or less equals the number of contributors.
Of course, we also live in an age where there's a scarcity of reviewers, especially good ones, and where the demand for reviewers is higher than the supply. Which is noticable here and elsewhere. On Amazon you'll encounter the allegorical sound of crickets on albums covered fairly in depth on this site, to put matters into some perspective.
That there should be a reviews team on this site with someone dealing with the task of handling the logistics of promo submissions is a related case. That the person(s) set up for such a theoretical position would soon be up to his or their necks in work is just one of the challenges of that of course - enter a banner with promo submissions on the frontpage of PA and direct instructions and they would be flooding in from east, west, south and north, and presumably the outer galaxies as well.

-------------
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 10:14
Lots of references so far about PA's purported role in 'supporting new Prog bands'. As Micky points out, that has never been a function of the site and if in the course of documenting and cataloging said artists we inadvertently contribute to their material success, then that is but a happy by product of our activities. I've bought albums based solely on reading a PA review and have seldom been disappointed with my purchase (there must be countless others who do likewise, so let's not belittle the role of PA reviews in purchasing decisions for consumers at large) Raff raises a good point about the (relatively recent) availability of streaming internet audio to listen to and sample pretty much ALL music available for purchase (or is otherwise deleted) and this further leads me to posit we could implement a requirement for new members to submit their first review that of a previously unreviewed album. This wouldn't be so hard would it? - most of the music in question is out there and can be heard

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 10:47
compulsary reviews?

not completely unheard of Iain.  When I was promoted it wasn't because of my reviews, I hadn't reviewed a single album,  it is (as my reviewing proved) NOT a talent of mine. My talents lie elsewhere, as my sponsor/recruiter recognized.  I knew the music and could discuss it and debate it with the best of them and was willing to work for/on the site.

However as I was an unknown quality, who came here from another prog site, before I got promoted I was 'made' to do a series of reviews before being promoted. They sucked still but I guess it satisfied the admin team of the time. That said, some are better reviewers than others, some more confident in their abilities others far less so, and yes, that lack of confidence can impact the results.

for the umpteenth time. I really don't see the point, or need for doing anything with the reviews and/or reviewers. Some are good, some are bad, the vast majority are middlin' to average. That is life... that is P.A's.  You get it all, unbiased and unpolished. I like that about the site, while it has lost a lot of its wild wild west tendencies it has in the early years, it is still a site where you can have your say. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 10:55
Because the quality of reviews can't hurt in terms of attracting more visitors.  I was introduced to the website, i.e, the database and not the forum.  And when a reader browses through the band's page on the website, what does he see but a bunch of reviews which might help him make a decision.  

It's a bit of a damned if you do and damned if you don't.  We have just discussed that PA's reviews don't have a great reputation in the outside prog world.  But then if that is moderated,  that won't go down too well either.  I can certainly agree though that it is NOT the most important issue concerning this website even if I may not consider it pointless.  And based on my experience at MA, I don't think cutting down the number of reviews for albums with plenty of them already would help give more visibility to reviews of obscure albums.  It doesn't really make much of a difference that way.  Just that the resources of the most valuable internet prog resource could probably be utilised in a better way.  

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 13:56
Why change? We are what we are and I think we can all say that we love the site or else we wouldn't be here.

I've only been in and out of this thread (and others similar) but my 2 cents is this: We are a public site that allows everyone to have a voice - which could be anywhere from someone loving Torman Maxt to someone thinking that CTTE is a 1 star album.

Y'know what - I think that's great!

We all have different voices and we already have a system in place to make louder the voices that the site collectively wants to hear more of (the collaborator system). The bold red titles always made me want to read what that person had to say when I was a mere newb to the site.

I think the variety of opinion is what makes us what we are as a site and I wouldn't change it for the world. In fact, if we became as elitist as the others I might consider leaving. Prog is an acquired taste to be sure. We aren't here to critisize the new Miley Cyrus album or to try and make a couple of bucks off of 50 Cent, we're here because we love music and want to tell everyone else who is into the same kind of music so that they can broaden their own spectrum and maybe they can broaden ours.

I like that we have a "I really like your review!" page. We should keep the positive up and not worry about the negative. If people had given me a couple of "thumbs down" when I was a teenager and just starting on the site I probably would have fled in terror and not gotten to learn nearly as much as I know now about the music that I hold so close to my heart.

Shine on - all of you.

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 15:24
Originally posted by Queen By-Tor Queen By-Tor wrote:

Why change? We are what we are and I think we can all say that we love the site or else we wouldn't be here.

I've only been in and out of this thread (and others similar) but my 2 cents is this: We are a public site that allows everyone to have a voice - which could be anywhere from someone loving Torman Maxt to someone thinking that CTTE is a 1 star album.

Y'know what - I think that's great!

We all have different voices and we already have a system in place to make louder the voices that the site collectively wants to hear more of (the collaborator system). The bold red titles always made me want to read what that person had to say when I was a mere newb to the site.

I think the variety of opinion is what makes us what we are as a site and I wouldn't change it for the world. In fact, if we became as elitist as the others I might consider leaving. Prog is an acquired taste to be sure. We aren't here to critisize the new Miley Cyrus album or to try and make a couple of bucks off of 50 Cent, we're here because we love music and want to tell everyone else who is into the same kind of music so that they can broaden their own spectrum and maybe they can broaden ours.

I like that we have a "I really like your review!" page. We should keep the positive up and not worry about the negative. If people had given me a couple of "thumbs down" when I was a teenager and just starting on the site I probably would have fled in terror and not gotten to learn nearly as much as I know now about the music that I hold so close to my heart.

Shine on - all of you.

TORMAN MAXT???   Hell yeah!! LOLLOLClap  Thank god for the oldtimers to keep that sordid memory alive. Where is HT anyway. I haven't seen him around recently.  I'd love to know what he thinks of this idea. hah.

and let me say it....not only are you hotter than hell... you are wise beyond your years.  God I if wasn't taken I'd be all over you.

-------------

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 15:49
Embarrassed aww Micky,

Well... if Raff wasn't one of my biggest inspirations when I was a newb (and now too), as well as a voice of encouragement for me in my early collaboration days - and overall just a wonderful person to have around (even if it's just forums!) - I might try and steal you away Wink

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 15:57
Originally posted by Queen By-Tor Queen By-Tor wrote:

Embarrassed aww Micky,

Well... if Raff wasn't one of my biggest inspirations when I was a newb (and now too), as well as a voice of encouragement for me in my early collaboration days - and overall just a wonderful person to have around (even if it's just forums!) - I might try and steal you away Wink

LOLHeart

//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/" rel="nofollow -

Posted By: Sheavy
Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 16:26
Having a comment section in the review permalink page (like on jma or mma) would be much more useful and meaningful than a thumbs up/thumbs down button, though sending someone a pm or using the I like your review thread works well enough.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2015 at 16:44
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

Having a comment section in the review permalink page (like on jma or mma) would be much more useful and meaningful than a thumbs up/thumbs down button, though sending someone a pm or using the I like your review thread works well enough.

The comments section would have to be moderated, though, because we all know what happens on the Internet when people are able to leave comments... Letting trolls run amok would do a lot of damage.

Date Posted: January 26 2015 at 11:50
Censored myself here. I've seen it all. Bye.

-------------

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: January 26 2015 at 23:23
Cooee! This site besides Credited Prog Reviewers, really needs fanboy reviews (not rating manipulators, besides I don't think it's the fans that do this, I believe it's the record labels doing, some not all).
An website like this to survive needs new unique visitors daily/monthly, an active forum with the same members alone is not sufficient and won't survive unless new people are felt welcome here thus new fans should feel most welcome even if their reviews are not necessary great.
We need to keep the excitement about music going and let others come in so that they can share that with us, get more people to join and we in turn can open up a whole new world to them too by equally suggesting other amazing bands/ music.
Hugs Hug

Date Posted: January 26 2015 at 23:54
One possible comparison here would the relatively new "Thanks" button--  a perfectly fine idea at the time, but as the months have passed, we're left with some being 'Thanked' many times and some not at all.   This has, presumably, left many wonderful and helpful people 0 thanks and others with many multiple thanks.   It's a small thing but it adds up to many members wondering why their advice and forum contributions have gone unnoticed and unappreciated, all of which could've been avoided by not having such a stupid vanity feature.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 06:49
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

One possible comparison here would the relatively new "Thanks" button--  a perfectly fine idea at the time, but as the months have passed, we're left with some being 'Thanked' many times and some not at all.   This has, presumably, left many wonderful and helpful people 0 thanks and others with many multiple thanks.   It's a small thing but it adds up to many members wondering why their advice and forum contributions have gone unnoticed and unappreciated, all of which could've been avoided by not having such a stupid vanity feature.

Well saidClap. I haven't been thanked by anyone (not that I particularly care), and it took me a while to understand what those "points" under my avatar were about. This smacks a little bit too much of Facebook to me, which is not a good thing - seen as I deleted my account seven months ago, and have no intention whatsoever of opening a new one.

Posted By: Walton Street
Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 07:11

Well saidClap. I haven't been thanked by anyone (not that I particularly care), and it took me a while to understand what those "points" under my avatar were about. This smacks a little bit too much of Facebook to me, which is not a good thing - seen as I deleted my account seven months ago, and have no intention whatsoever of opening a new one.

Facebook was and is a great idea - perfect for promoting business, social awareness, and an affordable way to keep in contact with friends and family abroad. (among other great uses) 
Unfortunately once you add the human element it is ruined. Now it's polluted with vacuous self promotion. It's a platform for people who need constant validation and admiration, and millions of identical selfies displaying the trend of the day. All forms of social media - including forums - have a bit of this but it's run wildfire in Facebook.

Why people want to show the public how stupid they are is beyond me .

in the past there have always been sexist, racist, homophobic trolls but they had no one to share their insanity with - the general public wouldn't stand for their crap. But now with social media these once isolated village idiots can now find each other, support each other, and feel that their twisted thoughts are valid.

Facebook has become a dumping ground for every unattractive behaviour you can imagine. Pettiness, bragging, oneupmanship, bickering, negativity. whining...blah blah blah.

and there's no control over it because you don't just invite friends to your page, you invite their friends, etc ...  The alternative is to hide everyone's feed, then what's the point.

obviously people act this way online as an antisocial outlet, anonymously, because if they said a tiny fraction of this garbage in the real world, they'd be ignored or beaten to a pulp.

-------------
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 07:28

hahahha..   nice! Yeah, I don't think I've been thanked once either, then again I really can't say either way. I've never thought to check once I found out you couldn't like your own posts LOL

It seems to me to be a relatively harmless feature..
stupid? perhaps..
vanity? oh no doubt

but one not likely to discourage people from participating. Now a possible comparison to the notion being discussed here would be giving the forumites the ability to give thumbs down to posts. A forum f**k You button if you will.  Don't think for a SECOND that feature would go ignored and unused like the thanks has. LOL  The negative sides of human nature can't be forgotten.  It is easier.. always has been, to say something negative than it has something positive.  Easy to destroy or criticize than to create or praise.  Hell, it is often more fun I'll admit haha.  The forum would never be stupid enough to give the forum the ability to rate negatively people's posts, only a few select nut-jobs like me would enjoy it and strive to get as many as we could, everyone else? Well we know how that would turn out.  Same notions as singling out people's reviews and either by thumbs down or the even more insipid idea of allowing direct posted comments ON them.  Bad ideas all the way around man.

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 07:30
ExactlyThumbs Up. When I realized I was hiding way too many feeds, and my Blocked list was growing exponentially - not to mention the fact that scrolling down my feed had become more of a chore than anything resembling a pleasure - I knew it was time to pull the plug. I'd hate to see PA go the same way.

P.S. I was replying to Walton Street's excellent post.
//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 07:38

The forum would never be stupid enough to give the forum the ability to rate negatively people's posts, only a few select nut-jobs like me would enjoy it and strive to get as many as we could, everyone else?

nah not me..

I've had my fill of negativity in the real world .. I go online to relax and find like minded people and enjoy some chat.
Occasionally i'll get pulled into a discussion that turns into an argument but i'll walk away before it gets stupid.
Nothing is that important to me online ..

-------------

- SpongeBob Socrates

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 07:42
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

The forum would never be stupid enough to give the forum the ability to rate negatively people's posts, only a few select nut-jobs like me would enjoy it and strive to get as many as we could, everyone else?

nah not me..

I've had my fill of negativity in the real world .. I go online to relax and find like minded people and enjoy some chat.
Occasionally i'll get pulled into a discussion that turns into an argument but i'll walk away before it gets stupid.
Nothing is that important to me online ..

-------------

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 08:25
It's useless talking since as we know there's no way the site's software will be developed, but I like the idea, and not only a thumbs up/down but a 'rate this review' function.

The problem with reviews is, people spend time in them, some serious and thorough reviewers may actually spend a couple of hours finding some historical information of the album, listening to the album one more time carefully, putting their ideas together, writing and then correcting and fine-tuning before finally posting their review. Then they show up in the front page for one day and they disappear to oblivion, only to be found again if someone actively checks the band or album page, or by pure extreme chance by the very few people who may use the 'random review' button. It is a very unrewarding task.

I imagine how many great reviews must be sitting somewhere in PA which I will never have the chance to read because there's no way I will ever find them, and that's sad. If they had all been rated from the first day, we could today have a function to find highly rated reviews and enjoy reading them, regardless of how long ago they were written or how obscure the album was. I can only say it would be great. They could also help defining 'the best reviewers' rather than 'the most prolific' ones, something I guess could motivate people to write good reviews rather than just flooding the site with mediocre reviews. Getting a position in the 'best reviewers list' could be very motivating and rewarding for many people.

Sure there would be unfair review ratings (the fanboy downrating a critical review of his beloved band or opposite), but in all likelyhood these would be ironed out by the many honest ratings. Eventually it could also be that the review ratings by collabs and senior members have also a higher weight than the rating by a newbie fanboy to help minimise that issue.

A related problem is the short time the reviews remain visible in the front page, which would allow only limited ratings to the reviews, only the people who happened to read them during the day or so when they showed up (or people who read them afterwards directly in the band or album's page). Time ago I already suggested having a selection of 'show reviews from date xxx' as opposed to the current max of 50 latest reviews, in order to catch up reading reviews if you have been absent for a few days.

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 08:28
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Cooee! This site besides Credited Prog Reviewers, really needs fanboy reviews (not rating manipulators, besides I don't think it's the fans that do this, I believe it's the record labels doing, some not all).
An website like this to survive needs new unique visitors daily/monthly, an active forum with the same members alone is not sufficient and won't survive unless new people are felt welcome here thus new fans should feel most welcome even if their reviews are not necessary great.
We need to keep the excitement about music going and let others come in so that they can share that with us, get more people to join and we in turn can open up a whole new world to them too by equally suggesting other amazing bands/ music.
Hugs Hug

Er, could you clarify why you think it's alright to review the reviewer and judge them for 'nasty' or 'negative' reviewers but feel uncomfortable about a similar point of view with regard to overly positive reviews?  There is, logically, potential for dishonesty both ways.  Frankly, if I find a reviewer indiscriminately handing out maximum, I may not want to take the time to carefully read his reviews.  Same goes for the compulsive 'hater' or 'disser' by whatever name called.  Discernment is necessary both ways.  Yes, it is subjective and purely a matter of opinion and everybody has opinions all the same.

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 08:29
And, it has nothing to do with FB or other 'likes' in social media, that's nonsense. It's only about PA and motivating and rewarding the people who dedicate time and deliver quality to the site (I agree that the database is perhaps the most important, but reviews are also a hook for many people, and in any case the way for many people to get to access the database, if they don't see a positive review in the front page of an album they do not know, it is highly unlikely that they will stump on it by chance by searching in the database).

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 08:36
And it could also allow many new query functionalities, say for example, select the best reviews by sub-genre so you concentrate on the sub-genres you are mostly interested, or best reviews by album year, best reviews of obscure albums (i.e. albums with less than 3 reviews) etc. A new world of searching and finding possibilities within the huge PA database.

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 08:55

Thumbs down  

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 09:57

Looking at my user profile, I have, apparently, been "thanked" ten times. First I knew of it

Have I missed some kind of notification? Am I, in fact, no longer here, but in another dimension? Why will no one thank Raff on this wretched site?

These, and other such questions, are, in all honesty, too big for a mere mortal such as I to even contemplate, let alone answer

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:10
I had never noticed the 'Thank' thing, I just looked at my profile and I see I have been thanked 18 times but I don't know why or by whom, I guess that shows in the post itself? I don't care though, being thanked is nice but only if I did something for that person, I doubt that my posts have done any good to anybody so I don't know why should anybody thank me for them, I guess it's more a kind of 'like' button.

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:15
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I had never noticed the 'Thank' thing, I just looked at my profile and I see I have been thanked 18 times but I don't know why or by whom, I guess that shows in the post itself? I don't care though, being thanked is nice but only if I did something for that person, I doubt that my posts have done any good to anybody so I don't know why should anybody thank me for them, I guess it's more a kind of 'like' button.

I just noticed the same .. weird.

I think we should change it to a Spank button.

and cue Kati in 5, 4, 3, 2 ......

:D

-------------

- SpongeBob Socrates

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:44
hah....  I didn't know you could check on that.  My profile is the last thing I ever look at on this site. That surprises me.  I guess I have been ninja thanked much more than I thought. oh jese everyone..... you make me feel special. Embarrassed 

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:48
^ That's how easy it is to be swayed by shallow flattery and kind words, and, conversely how simple it is to make someone feel invisible.   It's some bad juju, my friend.

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:52

^ That's how easy it is to be swayed by shallow flattery and kind words, and, conversely how simple it is to make someone feel invisible.   It's some bad juju, my friend.

*smack*

yeah man.. you almost lost me there... I see what you mean... I almost felt the need to start pandering to people to gain their acceptance and become a 'thanks' collector.

Thanks for the cyber slap.. here.. have a PA's thanks and enjoy the rush as it pierces the vein and  hits the bloodstream

-------------

Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 11:01
plus there is the added element of hurt feelings when you see people getting more thanks than you. This was a bad idea indeed.

My wife has more than me. AngryLOL

Hah

you all are a bunch of sexist pigs.. you hurt my feelings man..

-------------

Posted By: VOTOMS
Date Posted: January 27 2015 at 12:58
Totally not! If you already know that album, you will unconsciously rate the review based on personal taste compatibility. 

Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 04:54

Seeing as I just learned that it is bad form to reproduce what is said in the collab zone

I've given up on this discussion much earlier, given that it's ridiculous to see how much the members of a progressive rock site, in a discussion how to improve the site, are so opposed to any form of change (an inevitable partner of progress and improvement). 

Now it seems there has been a change, and not for the better. One can even become an admin now without knowing the first two rules of being one. A shame, really. Pinch

-------------

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 06:03
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

take a pause for a day or two before this starts developing into a serious catfight with the wounds and victims and fallout that will be the end result of that?

Not enough cats to have a catfight though Big smile .. it's mostly bears, walruses and mooses here :)

-------------
Thank you, Fripp, for our daily Prog (Red 39:54)

Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 06:08

As for the thread not giving me expected answers (...)

I think it's a pity and I was really surprised at the many negative reactions to the idea. How many beautiful reviews must be buried deep in the PA database which nobody will ever be able to find back and enjoy reading? I find it such a shame.

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 10:13
Big hugs and little digs, I like me some drama

Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 10:35
Let's get this thread back on topic people.

Originally posted by Dr. Occulator Dr. Occulator wrote:

Cheers to all.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 10:55
No thank you.  Such an overhaul is another avenue for abuse and pissing contests.  The purpose of the database is to recommend music, not reviewers.  Furthermore, what will largely happen is that people will thumb up ratings they agree with and thumb down those they don't.

If you want to comment on the merits of an individual review, we have http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28344" rel="nofollow - a thread for that already.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: January 30 2015 at 14:06
^ Well spoken.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk