Print Page | Close Window

Thought's on 'Homo Erraticus' - Ian Anderson?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98305
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 03:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Thought's on 'Homo Erraticus' - Ian Anderson?
Posted By: ConfusedGenius
Subject: Thought's on 'Homo Erraticus' - Ian Anderson?
Date Posted: May 18 2014 at 13:21
Here are mine. Let me know what you think! I'll be interviewing him this Friday too. 

http://www.examiner.com/article/ian-anderson-once-again-plays-with-prog-folk-passion-on-homo-erraticus" rel="nofollow - http://www.examiner.com/article/ian-...homo-erraticus

-------------
Don't eat...your beets...RECYCLE!!

- "Earth Day" by Devin Townsend

Replies:
Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: May 18 2014 at 13:35
I think it is an absolutely fantastic plug for the Examiner.com website, so very well done, old chap!Clap

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: May 18 2014 at 13:46
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I think it is an absolutely fantastic plug for the Examiner.com website, so very well done, old chap!Clap
Yes, I thought the same, which is why I shan't click it. God knows what viruses await on the Examiner site. Wink

As far as the album Homo Erraticus, it is definitely better than Thick as a Brick 2, but one wishes Ian Anderson would come to his senses and ask Martin Barre to return on lead guitar. This Florian Opahle fellow is technically competent, but in a Yngwie Malmsteen sense. Barre played ballsier...ummm....more Tullish, if you know what I mean.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 18 2014 at 16:52
Listened to some of it on you tube....thought it was boring but competently played.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: May 18 2014 at 17:45
Decent. pretty much in the same vain as TAAB2. Nothing that will ever be ranked terribly high in my mind, but a pleasant once a year (or so) album.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 00:46
Its a nice alternative to the usual in your face modern prog sound. I would need more time to assess how good it is but currently I would place it around 3-3.5 stars.

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:20
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Yes, I thought the same, which is why I shan't click it. God knows what viruses await on the Examiner site. Wink

As far as the album Homo Erraticus, it is definitely better than Thick as a Brick 2, but one wishes Ian Anderson would come to his senses and ask Martin Barre to return on lead guitar. This Florian Opahle fellow is technically competent, but in a Yngwie Malmsteen sense. Barre played ballsier...ummm....more Tullish, if you know what I mean.
    So, is this guitarist a bit of a showboater? The "cutting heads" type? Martin Barre knew when not to play. He also knew the perfect time to play a fast lick or passage of notes. The interplay between Martin Barre and Ian Anderson on the Minstrel In The Gallery album was unbelievable and that can't be replaced. But if he truly has a Malmsteen style, I can't forsee that complimenting the Tull sound identity.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 16:46
Guitarists aside.......Ian Anderson hasn't written anything in years that appeals to me like his older material.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 17:24
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Guitarists aside.......Ian Anderson hasn't written anything in years that appeals to me like his older material.
  I feel the same and I can't force myself to like it. I hardly liked anything after Stormwatch...which!..I was willing to give Stormwatch a chance because the band still had a little bit of that Songs From The Wood style ..somewhere in there..while the follow up.."A" took off in a different direction. Years later...I heard Crest of A Knave and thought I was listening to Dire Straits instead of Jethro Tull...but I still gave the 20 years of Tull box set a chance and surprisingly I heard "Farm on the Freeway" and a new arrangement of "Living In the Past" recorded live at the "Tower Theatre" in Philadelphia , P.A. and that was very great. Even though Ian Anderson had lost his ability to sing fluently, the live tracks were very great. But I never went any further than that..as one day I heard "Rock Island" and ended all hopes of the band ever returning to the music and the style I loved.

Posted By: Watcher of the Sky
Date Posted: May 25 2014 at 01:30
About the album, is good, I expect more of it because of the "hype" created in some prog communities... but anyway, is decent, just like Man With Hat say.

The bad thing is we will have to wait a few years to Ian/Jethro Tull release something new.

-------------
Nous sommes du soleil

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: May 25 2014 at 04:11
I'm just now giving it a progstreaming listen :)

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: May 25 2014 at 22:35
Some good tracks. Probably should have been trimmed to 40 minute album

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: kingmahavishnu
Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 06:37
corrections of dogma/relativity.:-) The'new'guitarist isn't that new.been adjunct to J.T.a while!Pete Townshend:'the music Must<change!evolve.Andersons been responsible for most J.Tulls repetoire,anyway.btw.the band'sNOT over,according to Barrea&-Anderson.Imagine you are hearing this for the very first time...with zero preconceptions.Superb cd.:-)

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 20:56
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Actually, I believe the problem with many albums since the introduction of the CD is that many artists feel the need to fill the CD of music, and often they end up including sub-par songs in order to do that. On the time of vinyl, they had to choose better what would get in the album.

Posted By: javajeff
Date Posted: May 27 2014 at 21:39
The album is excellent, and much better than TAAB2.  I was actually shocked by the lukewarm reviews at PA.  I gave it a 4 stars on PA.  If you enjoy Jethro Tull or Ian Anderson it is worth picking up, and you should be able to find it for $10 right now while it is a new release.  The people that listen to samples will not get the whole feel of this album.  I was skeptical until I bought it.

Posted By: Adams Bolero
Date Posted: May 28 2014 at 00:23
I found it average; the lack of Martin Barre is a fatal flaw. Florian Opahle cannot replicate Martin's guitar playing in my opinion. It just feels like another light Ian Anderson solo album; lacking all the bite and magic that made Tull so brilliant.

-------------
''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus

Date Posted: May 28 2014 at 01:15
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Actually, I believe the problem with many albums since the introduction of the CD is that many artists feel the need to fill the CD of music, and often they end up including sub-par songs in order to do that. On the time of vinyl, they had to choose better what would get in the album.

BUT 'in the time of vinyl' you did also have 55 minute albums like SEBTP for instance that would have been better without a few tracks (imo)

There will always be 'sub par' songs on any album. Have a Cigar and Siberian Khatru are two examples and there are loads more.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: May 28 2014 at 04:08

Correct. Dotcom, Slob and Rupi should have been trimmed too. But when it comes to Ian he never chose all the best songs from a session to release on a 40 minute LP. I tend to like the bonus tracks on the remasters more than most or even all of the album tracks. Eg. Several studio songs on disc 2 of 40 year anniversary aqualung, all studio bonus tracks on this was, stand up, benefit, warchild, too old, minstrel, songs, horses, storm, crest and catfish except for 17, aeroplane and singing all day. In a way it would have good to have cd 40 years ago. At least we would have every song they did back then

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Date Posted: May 28 2014 at 19:04
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

BUT 'in the time of vinyl' you did also have 55 minute albums like SEBTP for instance that would have been better without a few tracks (imo)
There will always be 'sub par' songs on any album. Have a Cigar and Siberian Khatru are two examples and there are loads more.

Yeah, that's why I said "with many" and "often". With Have a Cigar and Siberian Khatru, indeed I like those ones less than the rest of the album, but still they are good enough not to harm the albums they come for (both of which are 5 star masterpieces for me). On the other hand, SEBTP has at least "Battle of Epping Forest", which is annoying and long enough to make me drop a star from my apreciation of it.

Date Posted: May 29 2014 at 01:18

Yeah, that's why I said "with many" and "often". With Have a Cigar and Siberian Khatru, indeed I like those ones less than the rest of the album, but still they are good enough not to harm the albums they come for (both of which are 5 star masterpieces for me). On the other hand, SEBTP has at least "Battle of Epping Forest", which is annoying and long enough to make me drop a star from my apreciation of it.

yep although perhaps 'Masterpeice' should be only be reserved for those mythical albums that are completely perfectWink

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: May 29 2014 at 06:17
I gave it two listens now. Quite in the vein of TAAB2, but I prefer that one. Homo Erraticus seems to have quite a lot of the same, but with some fine moments as well. Overall a rather pleasant listen.
Where I should give TAAB2 four stars, this one will have to do with three and a half.

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2014 at 21:43

yep although perhaps 'Masterpeice' should be only be reserved for those mythical albums that are completely perfectWink

Mmm... that would make "6 Wives of Henry the VIII" more of a masterpiece to me, for on that album every song is amazing in my book... however, in the end, I feel "Close to the Edge" and "Wish you Were Here" are better albums in the end (if only a little bit so).

Date Posted: May 30 2014 at 01:19

Mmm... that would make "6 Wives of Henry the VIII" more of a masterpiece to me, for on that album every song is amazing in my book... however, in the end, I feel "Close to the Edge" and "Wish you Were Here" are better albums in the end (if only a little bit so).

Yep Wakeman nailed it with Six Wives. I still remember where I was (over a friends house) when I first heard that album. I love the split of tracks drumming wise. Alan for the play loud and fast tracks , Bill for the melodic ones. PerfectBig smile

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: May 30 2014 at 14:57
I was not impressed by Homo Erraticus or it's predecessor as can be seen from my reviews of both albums. The mere fact that Opahle sounds almost exactly like Martin Barre on both albums is a dead give away to Anderson's intent on making formulaic Tull sounding prog albums which I frankly find insulting. It begs one to ask the question 'What is progressive about copying your own sound?' The A album was more progressive than these two albums, IMO.

Date Posted: May 30 2014 at 21:31
I just gave a listen to this album through YouTube. Actually, it was better than I thought it would be (specially since I had already heard one song and had found it rather uninspired and tired, as most of the songs from the last few Tull proper albums. But I thought it was rather nice, with lots of beautiful songs. Still, some parts have that tired feeling, but as a whole it was an enjoyable listen (still, a far cry from the 70's best material, though). However, it was just one listen without paying 100% attention, so if I ended up getting it I might grow tired of it quickly... or not.

Date Posted: May 30 2014 at 21:37

Yep Wakeman nailed it with Six Wives. I still remember where I was (over a friends house) when I first heard that album. I love the split of tracks drumming wise. Alan for the play loud and fast tracks , Bill for the melodic ones. PerfectBig smile

I have for a long time felt (as is the case with the vast majority of proggers), that White was a clear step down from Brufords virtuosity... which is rather frustrating for me, since that Yes line-up from Fragile and CttE is like the most perfect prog line-up in my book, and once Bruford left it lost that perfect quality, since White seems a step below the rest of the band. However, in Six Wives, I think White takes the best, or at least my favourite, performance of the album. I thind it's on the track Anne of Cleves, if I remember the wife correctly.

Date Posted: May 31 2014 at 02:50

I have for a long time felt (as is the case with the vast majority of proggers), that White was a clear step down from Brufords virtuosity... which is rather frustrating for me, since that Yes line-up from Fragile and CttE is like the most perfect prog line-up in my book, and once Bruford left it lost that perfect quality, since White seems a step below the rest of the band. However, in Six Wives, I think White takes the best, or at least my favourite, performance of the album. I thind it's on the track Anne of Cleves, if I remember the wife correctly.

Ann Of Cleves may actually be my favourite peice of drumming by anyone.Its scary how much I find myself agreeing with you. I need to look into my family tree.LOL

Posted By: javajeff
Date Posted: May 31 2014 at 07:06
Homo Erraticus has some excellent flute playing and lyrics.  For me, owning the CD with the better sound quality does it justice.  I too was not thrilled listening to samples on other sites.  Anyone buying Homo Erraticus should know that it is not a Jethro Tull album.  If you compare it to Jethro Tull, then that is your option.  As a solo album, it is excellent and way better than much of the music that is out there today.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: May 31 2014 at 07:25
I've heard it two times now and can't for the life of me remember anything from it. Meh seems like the proper verdict.

Btw I moved this to the part of the forum which is designed for these types of discussionsWink
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=51" rel="nofollow - Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: May 31 2014 at 08:11
^ Yeah, it's pretty unmemorable. Only listened to it once so far though.

-------------

Date Posted: May 31 2014 at 11:23

Ann Of Cleves may actually be my favourite peice of drumming by anyone.Its scary how much I find myself agreeing with you. I need to look into my family tree.LOL

Just did this to build up the quote pyramid. LOL

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: May 31 2014 at 11:26
I like the album.  It's very old Tull derivative, which isn't a bad thing in and of itself.  But I've made two new artist discoveries that I enjoy much much more...

Posted By: Ronnie Pilgrim
Date Posted: May 31 2014 at 12:04
^I agree. And I also like Thick as a Brick 2 quite a lot. Well done, Ian!

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: May 31 2014 at 18:38
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I was not impressed by Homo Erraticus or it's predecessor as can be seen from my reviews of both albums. The mere fact that Opahle sounds almost exactly like Martin Barre on both albums is a dead give away to Anderson's intent on making formulaic Tull sounding prog albums which I frankly find insulting. It begs one to ask the question "What is progressive about copying your own sound?" The A album was more progressive than these two albums, IMO.

I haven't listened to the album yet, but just as an FYI to anyone who isn't aware, Florian Opahle played guitar with Greg Lake's tour sometime in the middle of the last decade. A DVD was made in 2006 called simply, Greg Lake Live. Opahle played a fair portion of Keith Emerson's parts. I wonder out loud what Opahle would sound like if he played like himself instead of someone else.

Date Posted: June 01 2014 at 19:12

Date Posted: June 02 2014 at 13:14
oHackettFan View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline

Quote HackettFan Quote Post ReplyReply New Post: Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 18:38

Originally posted by SteveG

I was not impressed by Homo Erraticus or it's predecessor as can be seen from my reviews of both albums. The mere fact that Opahle sounds almost exactly like Martin Barre on both albums is a dead give away to Anderson's intent on making formulaic Tull sounding prog albums which I frankly find insulting. It begs one to ask the question "What is progressive about copying your own sound?" The A album was more progressive than these two albums, IMO.

I haven't listened to the album yet, but just as an FYI to anyone who isn't aware, Florian Opahle played guitar with Greg Lake's tour sometime in the middle of the last decade. A DVD was made in 2006 called simply, Greg Lake Live. Opahle played a fair portion of Keith Emerson's parts. I wonder out loud what Opahle would sound like if he played like himself instead of someone else.
originally posted by HackettFan

Date Posted: June 02 2014 at 13:21
^As a reply to HackettFan (cool handle ), Opaphle seems like a Vai/Satriani type of shredder. Very technical with great speed but if he keeps doing imitation work we will never really know.

Date Posted: June 02 2014 at 21:28
One thing that sort of disapointed me when listening to this album on the Web was that I had once read about Ian saying it would be a sort of Prog Metal album... it seems that was only a joke (and perhaps it wasn't even Anderson's joke). It would have been cool to hear Anderson doing something a bit heavier.

Date Posted: June 03 2014 at 14:05
^I read in Prog magazine that Anderson said it was to be a "prog-folk-metal album". Opaphle does drop the hammer briefly so I guess that's where the metal part comes in.

Date Posted: June 03 2014 at 21:00
I didn't hear any metal guitars, or particularly heavy guitars at all... though there were some nice solos. However, I wasn't really paying my whole attention, so I might just as well have missed it. However, one brief metal moment doesn't make an album prog-folk-metal, so I do would have liked a bit more heavy moments. Actually, when I read that, I didn't really expect it to go all the way to prog metal, but at least I expected something a bit heavier than what Anderson is used to give us.

Date Posted: June 04 2014 at 00:59
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Lake did employ a keyboard player on that tour who was also the musical director. I haven't seen the DVD for a long while so I might dig it out.. I remember going to see one of those gigs and had stayed in the worse hotel I've ever come across but that's another story..

Date Posted: June 04 2014 at 16:18

Lake did employ a keyboard player on that tour who was also the musical director. I haven't seen the DVD for a long while so I might dig it out.. I remember going to see one of those gigs and had stayed in the worse hotel I've ever come across but that's another story..

I am now watching the DVD and guess who that keyboard player and musical director was?

Fans of the UK version of Strictly Come Dancing may know who it is. I like the programme but I never made the connection before watching the DVD

Dave Arch
Cool

Date Posted: June 05 2014 at 00:54

Watched the DVD in  its entirety and Dave Arch plays pretty much all Keith Emerson keyboard parts aided by another keyboard player on the other side of the stage when required. Opahle was certainly not brought in to play keyboard parts on guitar. Lake doesn't just play ELP songs either with a couple of Crimson songs thrown in as well as solo songs and covers of classic rock n roll tracks. Florian is obviously a very versatile guitarist but of course he is directed to play what is required here and with Ian Anderson. His versatility to adapt is obviously a strong point not a weakness.

Posted By: Hnrz
Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 04:55
I think the album is quite pleasant, I think it is a step up instrumentally from TAAB2. However Ian Andersons voice annoys me a bit on this one.

Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 01:41
I don't find Anderson's vocals annoying but otherwise agree with you.

-------------

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: July 14 2014 at 06:05
First impressions: a decent album with some great Tull moments, but all Anderson and his trusty flute. Nothing new under the sun but it delivers what fans come to expect from the legend.

-------------

Date Posted: July 14 2014 at 18:50
I just saw this album on the store I visit regularly... but I feel it's a bit too expensive, given that I did like what I heard once from it, but not that much. It was the deluxe edition with the DVD, but it was over 30 dollars (imported). I asked if they could order the regular edition, and it was even more expensive (around 40 dollars). So I guess if it's still around in a couple of weeks I might buy it if I make up my mind, otherwise I might check the prices on Amazon.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk