Print Page | Close Window

Atomic rooster

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98413
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 08:38
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Atomic rooster
Posted By: dr prog
Subject: Atomic rooster
Date Posted: May 30 2014 at 18:19
Just picked up the first 2 albums and the next 2 are on the way. Great stuff. Just a question about the first album, how many songs from the original was Canns vocals and guitar added too? Were these songs recorded again or just dubbed over?

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Replies:
Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: May 30 2014 at 18:29
I only know the debut from the LP. All vocals were by Nick Graham (bassist, flautist and some guitar touches). There is a bonus track I've noticed called Play The Game if my memory serves me correct. This could be with Cann. Don't know if there was any tweaking done to the original album tracks.
Oh, wait till you get In Hearing Of. Man, what an album - the song Black Snake is one of the best, sung by Crane himself.

Posted By: Kentucky_Hawkwindage
Date Posted: May 30 2014 at 18:56
I have these 2 Atomic Rooster LPs in my vinyl collection-Death Walks Behind You & Made In England.I have 3 or 4 Atomic Rooster CDs that compilations.I have plenty of Atomic Rooster,need to listen to it more often.Maybe i should give Budgie,Uriah Heep & Hawkwind a break....And crank up the Rooster!

-------------
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: May 30 2014 at 20:18
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I only know the debut from the LP. All vocals were by Nick Graham (bassist, flautist and some guitar touches). There is a bonus track I've noticed called Play The Game if my memory serves me correct. This could be with Cann. Don't know if there was any tweaking done to the original album tracks.
Oh, wait till you get In Hearing Of. Man, what an album - the song Black Snake is one of the best, sung by Crane himself.

Black Snake has been an earworm of mine for years, I just can't get that tune out of my head and find myself singing it as I wander around.

Death Walks & In The Hearing are both fantastic albums. I was never really a fan of Chris Farlowe's vocals in Rooster in later line-ups though I like his solo stuff in the 60's. I saw their tour in the 80's, really excellent concert.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: May 30 2014 at 20:42
I heard In hearing of on YouTube a couple of times. Sounds cool although I don't like black snake much. Would have preferred Cann on vocals still. He only sung on 1 song and it's probably my fave

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: May 30 2014 at 21:57
I've been a big fan since the late 70s. I have and love passionately the first four albums, and Atomic Rooster '80, and a later compilation called Homework with a previously unreleased album and the early 80s EPs.
              best thing they ever did was the End Of The Day Polydor EP from '82, imho.
              I once saw (but did not meet) Rooster guitarist Steve Bolton in downtown Ottawa, Canada around 1989.

Also a big fan of the Rooster splinter group Hard Stuff featuring du Cann and Hammond.

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: May 30 2014 at 22:00
Can't go wrong with the first three albums in particular, and even after that all their albums had a couple of killer tracks (alongside a bunch of nice but throaway fillers). But the playing was always superb, and you should check out some of the live vintage Youtube clips of them, there's some terrific live performances to enjoy!

Date Posted: May 30 2014 at 22:22
Chris Farlowe is not my favourite singer, though Made In England and Nice 'n' Greasy (or IV in its U.S. version with a much better artwork and 2 different tracks - and John Goodsall on guitar as Johnny Mandala !!) just work with his bellowing blues approach. Vincent Cheesman was an amazing organist. Bless 'im.

Date Posted: May 31 2014 at 19:31
I noticed only Friday 13th was redone with canns vocals and I think sly and before tomorrow had canns guitar added to them

-------------

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: May 31 2014 at 19:49
Never liked 'em. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: May 31 2014 at 21:42
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

I noticed only Friday 13th was redone with canns vocals and I think sly and before tomorrow had canns guitar added to them

That's correct, I asked the same question about the debut just recently. As I gather there's a UK and a US version, I think it's the US version that has no guitar on those three tracks.
I have the first four albums and recently I've really grown to love Made In England much more, it's a little different with some excellent soul vibe to it, on top of that the playing is really good and tight, I think it's a little overlooked.

Posted By: TODDLER
Date Posted: June 02 2014 at 18:29
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I've been a big fan since the late 70s. I have and love passionately the first four albums, and Atomic Rooster '80, and a later compilation called Homework with a previously unreleased album and the early 80s EPs.
              I once saw (but did not meet) Rooster guitarist Steve Bolton in downtown Ottawa, Canada around 1989.

Also a big fan of the Rooster splinter group Hard Stuff featuring du Cann and Hammond.

Hard Stuff, I recall having a couple of their releases on LP back in the 70's. In Hearing had some strange songs like 'Breakthrough", Head In the Sky, etc. The third track , (cant recall title), reminded me of Peter Gabriel or some early obscure Genesis tune. 

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: June 02 2014 at 18:34
Never cared for Atomic Rooster and they pale in comparison with Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, and King Crimson who are arguably the finest prog bands to ever grace this earth.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Date Posted: June 02 2014 at 18:49
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Never cared for Atomic Rooster and they pale in comparison with Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, and King Crimson who are arguably the finest prog bands to ever grace this earth.

I'm sorry, but can you make a post that doesn't reference any of those bands? Geek

Have you explored anything more recent? Tried listening to music that is relevant to the progressive scene today? I'm all for listening to the classics but i just get annoyed when we just talk about the same things over, and over. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 02 2014 at 19:02
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I'm sorry, but can you make a post that doesn't reference any of those bands? Geek

Have you explored anything more recent? Tried listening to music that is relevant to the progressive scene today? I'm all for listening to the classics but i just get annoyed when we just talk about the same things over, and over. 

There aren't many bands that I consider top-notch working in today's prog scene, so, to answer your question, no, I can't make a post without referencing these hugely influential 70s bands. LOL But, seriously, I'm a huge Hackett fan and have have really been loving the music he's been coming out with these past couple of years. He had a rather dry spell in the '80s. I also have been enjoying what Steven Wilson has been doing whether solo or with Porcupine Tree. I also like IQ, The Flower Kings, some of Marillion's albums, Pendragon (their older stuff not the music they're currently releasing), Transatlantic, RPWL, Sound of Contact, but, honestly, there's just not many prog bands that have much of an original style these days. Of the Italian prog scene, I like PFM, Banco, and Le Orme. I've been meaning to check out the French band Pulsar, too.

Anyway, I don't stray very far from the bands I love, because life's too short to waste time on music that's just 'okay' to you. 

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: June 02 2014 at 19:05
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Hard Stuff, I recall having a couple of their releases on LP back in the 70's. In Hearing had some strange songs like 'Breakthrough", Head In the Sky, etc. The third track , (cant recall title), reminded me of Peter Gabriel or some early obscure Genesis tune. 
Hey, Johnny, right on! I discovered Hard Stuff in the early 80s, along with du Cann's under-rated pre-Rooster band Andromeda. All of which have made it onto CD in well remastered versions. All of which have stood the test of time for me quite well. Have you heard Andromeda?

Date Posted: June 02 2014 at 19:09
This discussion is for another thread. Though I appreciate the nice response. I didn't want to come off as barbed.

I think you should find bands that deviate from the style you know. You say there aren't many original prog bands out today and that's completely wrong. You're just limiting yourself to these symphonic and neo bands that depend on the sound you're so familiar with and in love with. If you listen to every band yearning for a Hackett sound or the next Wakeman then of course things will ever reach your standards.

-------------

Date Posted: June 02 2014 at 19:44
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

This discussion is for another thread. Though I appreciate the nice response. I didn't want to come off as barbed.

I think you should find bands that deviate from the style you know. You say there aren't many original prog bands out today and that's completely wrong. You're just limiting yourself to these symphonic and neo bands that depend on the sound you're so familiar with and in love with. If you listen to every band yearning for a Hackett sound or the next Wakeman then of course things will ever reach your standards.

Again, I simply don't like wasting my time with a band that I find just 'okay'. If a band's music hits me emotionally or intellectually or even both, then there's a good chance I'm going to check out their music more in-depth. I'm extremely picky when it comes to music and I don't like everything I hear, but if I'm not drawn into a band's sound, then I'm simply not interested. It's that simple really. Fortunately, for me, I have found many bands that have resonated heavily with me through the years and, of course, I have discovered, and continue to discover, new bands all the time. So, no, I'm not limiting myself with anything.  

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: June 02 2014 at 22:02

None of those bands sound like each other, and Atomic Rooster and those bands sound wholly dissimilar (and vice versa).

The first two albums, at the very, very least, meaning Atomic Rooster and Death Walks Behind You, are classics, IMO. Many fans also rate In Hearing Of as highly, but the first two are essential.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: June 02 2014 at 22:11

I already like them more than Crimson and Floyd during the 1970-73 era. They are 2 bands that I don't consider top 10 bands(all prog related) of the 70s. I even prefer Sabbath and Purple over those 2. Pity Rooster couldn't stick to a settled lineup. That would have prevented them from continuing for the decade and because of Cranes problems. Yes and Tull are the kings of 1970-73. Genesis wouldn't make my top 5 of that era.

-------------

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: June 03 2014 at 00:21
I've been listening to some of their songs on youtube lately. The only album I own is the Live BBC(on cd).

Date Posted: June 03 2014 at 05:09
The US versions are the ones with Cann. Sly sounds better with Canns guitar but I prefer Friday and Better UK versions. Some kick ass songs on the first 3 albums. Some very melodic stuff with great sounding Hammond and strong vocals.

-------------

Date Posted: June 03 2014 at 05:13
Decline And Fall - love this one more than ELP 's Tank. Go Carl !!

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: June 03 2014 at 14:29
Carl Palmer never wanted to leave Atomic Rooster but Greg Lake managed to appeal to him where it meant most - his bank balance! (Just joking Carl Wink

Date Posted: June 03 2014 at 21:58
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Carl Palmer never wanted to leave Atomic Rooster but Greg Lake managed to appeal to him where it meant most - his bank balance! (Just joking Carl Wink

Should have stayed. ELP were cheese by 1974. Although Hammond was a great drummer too but he left after 2 years.

-------------

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: June 05 2014 at 01:08
Death Walks Behind You is a fine album, especially the instrumentals. Great cover too.

Date Posted: June 05 2014 at 07:15
I have the first 3 albums on cd now. All 3 are cool. I still think the 3rd would have been better with Cann on vocals. A bit like oblivion express second wind where I reckon both albums would have been better with the existing singer from the previous albums.

-------------

Posted By: ebil0505
Date Posted: June 05 2014 at 22:31
I was always impressed with the way Vincent Crane was able to take a catchy tune to the next level. The best examples are Breakthrough and Nobody Else, among others.

I like their music quite a bit. Accessible and catchy yet proggy all the same.

-------------
"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Date Posted: June 06 2014 at 04:35
Made in England arrived. Some cool moments so far

-------------

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: June 06 2014 at 04:39
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Made in England arrived. Some cool moments so far

At first I didn't care for this album but man do I love it right now. It seems the band have improved their act and they sound tighter, there's some extra drive to those songs.

Date Posted: June 06 2014 at 04:59
I'm not a fan of Chris Farlowe, however, his singing fits Crane's musical concoctions perfectly.
........Blue-eyed soul, hard rock sound, progressive arrangements and tight performance qualifies for a real adventure for many listeners......

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: June 06 2014 at 07:19
Originally posted by ebil0505 ebil0505 wrote:

I was always impressed with the way Vincent Crane was able to take a catchy tune to the next level. The best examples are Breakthrough and Nobody Else, among others.

I like their music quite a bit. Accessible and catchy yet proggy all the same.

Excellent post! I think you got the essence of Rooster's appeal right there.

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: June 06 2014 at 10:23
Originally posted by ebil0505 ebil0505 wrote:

"7 Streets" is another good one. It was an okay song when Du Cann played it with his time in Andromeda, but greatly improved when recorded for Death Walks Behind You.

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Date Posted: June 06 2014 at 21:23
Listening to England again now. I like his voice. Compositions are a bit more straight forward than previous albums but it's still good stuff. Up to track 7 now. Mainly good tracks. Not crazy about second track much. Introduction/Breathless was the highlight from what I remember on first listen. The first album is my fave with the US version of SLY replacing the album version

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2014 at 02:33
I've recently spun Roooster S/T a couple of times and I'm still amazed at its content. Palmers drums are produced perfectly, such a great sound for the time. Nick Graham's bass playing is so free and natural (very blues and jazz oriented) and Crane is just a ball of absolute fire on his Hammond, utilising amazing tonal qualities and technique. I plain adore this album. The lyrics are very sinister when perceived from certain angles though (they're mostly quite negative - thanks Vincent).

Date Posted: June 18 2014 at 05:40

I've recently spun Roooster S/T a couple of times and I'm still amazed at its content. Palmers drums are produced perfectly, such a great sound for the time. Nick Graham's bass playing is so free and natural (very blues and jazz oriented) and Crane is just a ball of absolute fire on his Hammond, utilising amazing tonal qualities and technique. I plain adore this album. The lyrics are very sinister when perceived from certain angles though (they're mostly quite negative - thanks Vincent).

First album is great

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2014 at 05:50
Hey Dr. !!
      If you enjoy the Rooster debut, please, PLEASE get the 1968 album of The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown. This is easily as good. Crane is mind-blowing. Such a colourful album, bursting with creativity and invention. It really is hard to pick between the two.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 18 2014 at 16:54

One of my friends told me that Palmer was afraid to originally  play with Lake and Emerson.....he didn't think he was good enough.
Shocked

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: June 18 2014 at 21:16

Hey Dr. !!
      If you enjoy the Rooster debut, please, PLEASE get the 1968 album of The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown. This is easily as good. Crane is mind-blowing. Such a colourful album, bursting with creativity and invention. It really is hard to pick between the two.

Might check it out

-------------

Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Date Posted: June 21 2014 at 13:44
I should get around to listening to AR more too, now that I'm on a huge Budgie kick and should get around to the other concrete-rock group with an avian appelation.

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: June 22 2014 at 02:10
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

One of my friends told me that Palmer was afraid to originally  play with Lake and Emerson.....he didn't think he was good enough.
Shocked

that may be true. He was only 19 at the time and he was quite happy to stay where he was

Date Posted: June 22 2014 at 03:50
It apparently took Lake a *lot* of persuasion for Carl to leave Rooster.
Oh how Prog-Rock history would be sooo different had Carl decided to remain with Crane....

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk