Print Page | Close Window

Spirit sues Zeppelin after 40 years!

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98598
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 19:18
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Spirit sues Zeppelin after 40 years!
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: Spirit sues Zeppelin after 40 years!
Date Posted: June 13 2014 at 16:42
Attorneys for Proto proggers Spirit are suing Led Zeppelin for lifting the opening arpeggio to Stairway To Heaven from a track titled Taurus from Spirit's 1968 self titled debut album. If you have the album, post if you think it's a Yea or a Nay.

Replies:
Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: June 13 2014 at 16:44
What?!?!
After 40 years?

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: June 13 2014 at 16:49
They we're prolly sick of being broke and unknown. 

[Insert Dazed and Confused reference joke here]

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: June 13 2014 at 17:07
Zeppelin were known plagiarists. Pretty soon, Bob Mosley from Moby Grape will sue for their version of Never, which of couse is Since I've Been Loving You......

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: June 13 2014 at 18:15
... 40 years ... 

Also:
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Attorneys for Proto proggers Spirit are suing Led Zeppelin for lifting the opening arpeggio to Stairway To Heaven from a track from Spirit's 1970 album The Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus titled Taurus. If you have the album, post if you think its a Yea or a Nay.
It's on their debut, not Twelve Dreams.
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Zeppelin were known plagiarists. Pretty soon, Bob Mosley from Moby Grape will sue for their version of Never, which of couse is Since I've Been Loving You......
... and The Surviving Beatles will sue Roxy Music for letting George Graham Simpson copy the Day Tripper riff on "Re-Make/Re-Model".

Date Posted: June 13 2014 at 18:26
- Graham, not George......

Date Posted: June 13 2014 at 18:27
Damn.

Date Posted: June 13 2014 at 18:34
^ Even funnier, I've known Day Tripper and Roxy S/T for over 25 years and never linked the two

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: June 13 2014 at 18:40
It was actually all started by the music publishing equivalent of an ambulance chasing attorney. He saw an untapped opportunity (thanks to internet discussion) and called up Mark Andes. Randy California, the author of Taurus (deceased), years ago reportedly expressed his hope that Page would at least acknowledge the lift (and it's just a little bit of a lift, let's be honest), but he was never after any royalties or damages, nor held any ill will. I think all they seek is a cowriting credit of some sort, not back royalties. I don't think anyone would have even thought about it were it not for that opportunistic lawyer, and I doubt Andes really wanted this to be a news item. Probably just some legal papers going back and forth, not worthy of a lot of fuss.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: June 13 2014 at 18:42
^ +1.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: June 13 2014 at 20:32
If everyone who was touring together, or hanging out & recording at the Epic or Atlantic studios, did not lift from each other I'd be surprised.   Stephen Stills should sue Page for pilfering 'Carry On' from Déjà vu and turning it into 'Friends'.   The Hendrix Estate should sue Page for poaching 'Little Miss Lover' and transforming it into 'Immigrant Song'.   I mean they were all together, constantly hearing each other's music and trading this or stealing that.   Same with Tull.

Sure Zeppelin were thieves but as they say in politics, they "stole it fair & square".   And don't tell me LZ themselves were not stolen from--  they were just the single most influential rock band in history.

- EDITED

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 13 2014 at 22:35
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

If everyone who was touring together, or hanging out & recording at the Epic or Atlantic studios, did not lift from each other I'd be surprised.   Stephen Stills should sue Page for pilfering 'Carry On' from Déjà vu and turning it into 'Friends'.   The Hendrix Estate should sue Page for poaching 'Dolly Dagger' and transforming it into 'Immigrant Song'.   I mean they were all together, constantly hearing each other's music and trading this or stealing that.   Same with Tull.

Sure Zeppelin were thieves but as they say in politics, they "stole it fair & square".   And don't tell me LZ themselves were not stolen from--  they were just the single most influential rock band in history.

You are spot on...everyone back then was 'stealing' riffs from each other. It's amazing there weren't  more lawsuits in those days, but it's rather lame they waited 40 years to bother with this.
I actually play 12 Dreams (one of my all time favorite proto prog albums..)more than any Zep albums these days. 

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: June 14 2014 at 02:43

If everyone who was touring together, or hanging out & recording at the Epic or Atlantic studios,did not lift from each other I'd be surprised.   Stephen Stills should sue Page for pilfering 'Carry On' from Déjà vu and turning it into 'Friends'.   The Hendrix Estate should sue Page for poaching 'Dolly Dagger' and transforming it into 'Immigrant Song'.   I mean they were all together, constantly hearing each other's music and trading this or stealing that.   Same with Tull.

1. I think "Carry On" was based on the main riff to "Cat's Squirrel". So Zepp ripped off Stills who ripped off a traditional number. 

2. I don't think "Dolly Dagger" sounds like "Immigrant Song". If "IS" took anything, is that the cry Robert Plant did sounds like the opening notes to the Get Smart theme.

3. There's a difference be a homage and a ripoff. For example, take this piece: 

Here's an instance of what might some could consider a ripoff:

And here's where it's used as homage:

I love that song.Smoke Oh, where was I? Oh, right.

Of course, it's a tame example, since the source was based on a traditional melody where the identity of the writer has been lost to the sands of time, but you get the idea. (For a more blatant example, compare Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" with Zepp's "Lemon Song".)

Back on topic, I think I heard about Mr. California's reaction to "Stairway". The guy seemed to be a good sport about the whole thing about only wanting Page to give him a nod. 

If any good came from this, is that the whole affair was a nice bit of musical education; plus it lead me to be a fan of Spirit's material. 

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Date Posted: June 14 2014 at 02:53
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

If everyone who was touring together, or hanging out & recording at the Epic or Atlantic studios,did not lift from each other I'd be surprised.   Stephen Stills should sue Page for pilfering 'Carry On' from Déjà vu and turning it into 'Friends'.   The Hendrix Estate should sue Page for poaching 'Dolly Dagger' and transforming it into 'Immigrant Song'.   I mean they were all together, constantly hearing each other's music and trading this or stealing that.   Same with Tull.

1. I think "Carry On" was based on the main riff to "Cat's Squirrel". So Zepp ripped off Stills who ripped off a traditional number.
   -  Good enough, but that kinda makes my point.

2. I don't think "Dolly Dagger" sounds like "Immigrant Song". If "IS" took anything, is that the cry Robert Plant did sounds like the opening note to the Get Smart theme.
   -  That's hilarious, never noticed, good catch: and of course absurd.   I meant 'Little Miss Lover', not 'Dolly Dagger'; my mistake.   But you do make some fair points.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: June 14 2014 at 07:46
in cases like these, i say "Who gives a f**k?" cause i don't and they went through this stuff for a long time so its nothing new. and by the way, i think its just similarity, not plagiarism (imho).

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: June 14 2014 at 07:50
It is quite well known that Stairway had a theme copied from Taurus, for so many years it is known.
It's rather odd to see that after 20 years there is a legal issue.

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: June 14 2014 at 08:19
Read about this a few days ago and agree there is a lot of similarity in the tune of "Taurus".

But really... get a life

BTW Taurus is from the debut album

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: June 14 2014 at 08:28
There is a similarity but they've left it too late imo.

The Stone should have sued for this one

Date Posted: June 14 2014 at 08:41
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I agree that Page had a reputation for borrowing other artists musical notes and not giving them back.  Listen to Bert Jansch's (God bless him) trad. instrumental arrangement of the the old English folk song Blackwaterside from his 1966 album Jack Orion and Page's trad. instrumental arrangement of the same song retitled Black Mountain Side on Zep's 1969 debut album. Uncanny.

Date Posted: June 14 2014 at 08:45

Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

Read about this a few days ago and agree there is a lot of similarity in the tune of "Taurus".But really... get a life BTW Taurus is from the debut album
Good catch! I changed my post to reflect the true facts. I get all my music news here in the States from the authority on all things Prog: The Colbert Report.
   But The Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus has to be the best title ever for a psychedelic album.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: June 14 2014 at 15:29
Everyone was stealing from everyone. It seems that it was "normal" back then.
For example, Pete Townshend stole riffs from Ohio's The Lemon Pipers (Green Tambourine, 1968).

Green Tambourine was a hit in the U.S. in 1968; exactly at the time when The Who were at their first U.S. tour LOL

Neither the boys from Hertfordshire didn't return from the U.S. without a souvenir ... LOL

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: June 14 2014 at 17:53

Attorneys for Proto proggers Spirit are suing Led Zeppelin for lifting the opening arpeggio to Stairway To Heaven from a track titled Taurus from Spirit's 1968 self titled debut album. If you have the album, post if you think its a Yea or a Nay.

Desperate desperate desperate. How patheticLOL

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: June 14 2014 at 18:42
Finally Clap

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: June 14 2014 at 23:35

Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

Read about this a few days ago and agree there is a lot of similarity in the tune of "Taurus".But really... get a life BTW Taurus is from the debut album
Good catch! I changed my post to reflect the true facts. I get all my music news here in the States from the authority on all things Prog: The Colbert Report.
   But The Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus has to be the best title ever for a psychedelic album.
And you just know that, contrary to his apparent boredom listening to it on the show, he's actually a fan of Dr. Sardonicus.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: June 15 2014 at 07:28
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

in cases like these, i say "Who gives a f**k?" cause i don't and they went through this stuff for a long time so its nothing new. and by the way, i think its just similarity, not plagiarism (imho).

and to add on to what i said back then, it took these guys 40 years. seriously? people already noticed this similarity between these two, but also it was his estate as he unfortunately drowned in '97. but still, it took those guys that amount of time to this, i mean, sheesh, let's just get this over with and get ready for the next round of reissues.

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: June 15 2014 at 11:21
One thing that I find to be slightly baffling is that with the arrival of the internet, you would think it would be easier for the musicians to prepare their cases. For example, look at this video of the Yardbirds performing Jake Holmes' "Dazed And Confused":

And that's just one thing. By the time Holmes filed his suit, there was a lot of evidence to support his claim floating around on the internet. If someone - either Holmes himself, one of his' fans or lawyers, or someone who wanted to troll Jimmy Page - took the time to gather this information, the incident would have been settled earlier and probably would have gotten him a co-writing credit (at the least) instead of "Inspired by". 

That's just me. Maybe I'm over simplifying things.

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2014 at 11:24

and to add on to what i said back then, it took these guys 40 years. seriously? people already noticed this similarity between these two, but also it was his estate as he unfortunately drowned in '97. but still, it took those guys that amount of time to this, i mean, sheesh, let's just get this over with and get ready for the next round of reissues.
Read other people's posts on this thread; you may find your answers here. Perhaps that will ... erm, calm you down.

Posted By: Anon-E-Mouse
Date Posted: June 15 2014 at 15:22
Well, yes, there are striking similarities between the two tunes.
But 40 years later??? They've got to be joking!

Date Posted: June 15 2014 at 15:37
^ What makes you people think that time matters? Isn't the question: Why are they suing at this particular time?

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: June 15 2014 at 16:23
Is this why they didn't reissue IV? :(

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Date Posted: June 15 2014 at 16:41
I wouldn't be surprised. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2014 at 16:54
'68 was a really good year for "inspiration"..

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: June 15 2014 at 18:02
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Is this why they didn't reissue IV? :(
I think Zep is going to reissue all of them, just in segments.  I doubt this little item slowed up their plan.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: June 15 2014 at 18:54
At this point going after Page for pilferage is a bit like going after Tolkien's estate for his use of Celtic and Norse mythologies. 

-------------

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: June 16 2014 at 05:31
^It is all a big joke these plagiarism conspiracies.....funny you mentioned Tolkien, cos they remind me of a bunch of headless hobbits running around.

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: June 16 2014 at 05:45
After all, Bo Diddley is the most robbed artist in rock music.

Date Posted: June 16 2014 at 08:52
^Chuck Berry must be close.

Date Posted: June 16 2014 at 09:55
Smile

May the karma police condemn them to listen to their first 3 albums for all eternity.  LOL

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 17 2014 at 09:33
Much ado about nothing. An attorney akin to an ambulance-chaser is trolling for cash on the heels of a major
Led Zep remaster that will garner the band millions and probably a series of #1 albums. Read up on the lawyer, he's a real piece of work.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: June 18 2014 at 14:18
well as of late all the 3 albums on the Billboard Top 10 as we speak

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: June 20 2014 at 10:26
Wow. Talk about staying power.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk