Print Page | Close Window

Bands with strong outputs after a long history...

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98827
Printed Date: March 19 2024 at 02:26
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Bands with strong outputs after a long history...
Posted By: Mind_Drive
Subject: Bands with strong outputs after a long history...
Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 07:47
...of successful releases

although it often seems to be the case and somehow natural, that a bands output-quality declines looking back on a long history of successful releases (e.g. YES..), there are bands that still come up with very strong albums.

they surprise with very good albums that catch up with their most admired works and might even top them.

bands that come to my mind here are of course IQ but also the Flower Kings and Spocks Beard - they recently seem to have crafted albums, that show them as strong as ever (at least what one can tell by the ratings here on PA).

are there other bands, that surprised us with awesome albums although their predecessor albums maybe weren´t that much critically acclaimed? what could be the reasons for this? do lineup changes play a role here or a turn in terms of  style?

discuss (if u want)! Cool

-------------
It's just a ride... <3

Replies:
Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 08:28
Good thread topic certainly. I guess it might be self evident that the most prolific time in a band's career is usually the early period where the creativity results from the association of kindred spirits who have found one another after a period of searching and dispensing with unsatisfactory collaboration. ELP are probably a case book study in such a phenomenon but you could make an argument that Yes, Gentle Giant and Genesis obey this trajectory to a certain extent. (ELP's juvenalia was represented by the early Nice material and that of Genesis and Yes by their gauche debuts)
However there are notable and celebrated departures from this convention e.g. Crimson started with a hurricane and descended into a soft hippy drizzle until their second wind evidenced by the Larks Tongues, Starless and Red trilogy.
I think you are correct in identifying personnel changes as pivotal to any band's longevity, relevance and quality of output. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to comment on IQ, the Flower Kings or Spock's Beard as I'm not familiar with enough of their material to evaluate the quality of their work..

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 08:29

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 08:30
After Crying Creatura album cover

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 08:31
Ayreon The Theory Of Everything album cover

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 08:31
Swans have had one heck of a comeback. Many people say their last two are their best ever.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 08:32

Magma Félicité Thösz album cover

Need more? Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 08:48
I'd put forward the avant bands Univers Zero, Present, Magma, Cheer-Accident, Miriodor and Thinking Plague. All these bands recent releases have been comparable to their best stuff.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 08:53
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I'd put forward the avant bands Univers Zero, Present, Magma, Cheer-Accident, Miriodor and Thinking Plague. All these bands recent releases have been comparable to their best stuff.

OK, but I think the OP is looking for variable factors that might have an influence on quality over time e.g how long have a band been together and what personnel changes might have served to elongate or shorten  their shelf life etc?

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 09:09
Pendragon is a band that springs to mind here with the critical acclaim of their last 2 albums compared to the one previous. It could be that this was at least partly due to the new drummer Scott Higham?

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 09:25
Steve Hackett is vey prolific now and fresh. There are albums in the 90s and especially the 2000s that stand up against his 70s masterpieces. In part I think this is because of his current line-up and because of he's in charge of his own productions.

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 09:30
Marillion immediately springs to mind. For me, they are doing some of their best work now. Of course, you'll always have those pro-Fish or pro-Hogarth camps, but I think everything from 1985's Misplaced Childhood up until 2012's Sounds That Can't Be Made has been consistently strong. Sure there have been some weaker moments like Holidays in Eden and Radiation, but even these albums contain some great music. Anyway, I think Marillion exemplify that if you have musicians that respect, and admire, each other, then you're going to get some positive musical results.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 09:38
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Magma Félicité Thösz album cover

Need more? Big smile
I can't speak for Magma but I don't see how Gilmour fits in with the OP. He's not even made that many solo albums.

Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 10:10
^ yep a strange one, evidence that is purportedly self evident seldom convinces. Does anyone who doesn't play the guitar give a flying f*ck about the solo output of David Gilmour?

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 10:34
Recently, there have been good releases from Camel, Steve Hackett, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, among others.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 10:36
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Swans have had one heck of a comeback. Many people say their last two are their best ever.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 10:44
To elaborate on the "why", I think it has to do with a confluence of maturity with inspiration.  Maturity typically leads to conservatism, but occasionally it will result in a wild hair up one's butt and lead to some real crazyass creativity.  I think that's what's happened to Swans and Cheer-Accident, for example.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 10:44
Camel, Marillion and Swans (which i don´t knwo) are very good examples :)

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Good thread topic certainly. I guess it might be self evident that the most prolific time in a band's career is usually the early period where the creativity results from the association of kindred spirits who have found one another after a period of searching and dispensing with unsatisfactory collaboration. ELP are probably a case book study in such a phenomenon but you could make an argument that Yes, Gentle Giant and Genesis obey this trajectory to a certain extent. (ELP's juvenalia was represented by the early Nice material and that of Genesis and Yes by their gauche debuts)
However there are notable and celebrated departures from this convention e.g. Crimson started with a hurricane and descended into a soft hippy drizzle until their second wind evidenced by the Larks Tongues, Starless and Red trilogy.

thats a nice interpretation i´d subscribe!
so most bands follow this pattern in some way or another... other prove that it´s still possible to rock your head off after being around for some decades Big smile

are there bands which needed several (or more) albums to really shine?

-------------
It's just a ride... <3

Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 10:49

To elaborate on the "why", I think it has to do with a confluence of maturity with inspiration.  Maturity typically leads to conservatism, but occasionally it will result in a wild hair up one's butt and lead to some real crazyass creativity.  I think that's what's happened to Swans and Cheer-Accident, for example.

Big smile this! is another awesome description of what might be a reason for the posthype-brilliance phenomenon
thanks for your creative input!

-------------
It's just a ride... <3

Posted By: Hnrz
Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 11:07
I guess Anathema fits, they had a bit of a lull followed by a seven year hiatus before coming back with two very highly acclaimed albums (possibly three). Many saw A Dramatic Turn of Events as a bit of a return to form for Dream Theater too (shame the recent album doesn't reach the same level).

There's also a few bands who suddenly get good after a fairly long period of being not great, such as Big Big Train or Gazpacho.

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 11:09
echolyn (2012)

echolyn
20 years (in 2012) and no bad albums

Djam Karet Regenerator 3017

Djam Karet
30 years and pretty consistently great

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 11:37
Yep, Steve Hackett.

-------------

Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 11:56
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ yep a strange one, evidence that is purportedly self evident seldom convinces. Does anyone who doesn't play the guitar give a flying f*ck about the solo output of David Gilmour?

Let's be honest here: You don't have to be a Genesis fan to buy a Phil Collins album, and yes, most people who own Gilmour's solo stuff are die-hard Floyd fan...still David Gilmour, About Face and On an Island are very good, enjoyable records (esp. OaI). Good call imo, even if there's only 3 in 30 years.

-------------

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 12:20
IQ - The Road of Bones continues to grow day by day into a monster and Frequency was very good too.
Camel - Rajaz and A Nod and a Wink are up there with their very best albums of the 70s.
Pendragon - Although I adore The Window of Life and Masquerade Overture, Pure, Passion and Believe are also excellent.
Marillion - Still making great albums, though not quite up there with Fugazi and Seasons End.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 12:23
The Enid. Many ups and downs but still going strong.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 12:54
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

echolyn (2012)

echolyn

Djam Karet

Agreed but that doesn't fit in with the OP question "are there other bands, that surprised us with awesome albums although their predecessor albums maybe weren´t that much critically acclaimed?"

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 04 2014 at 20:15
For me, Rick Wakeman's "Out There"; Pink Floyd's "Division Bell"; Steven Wilson's "The Raven that Refused to Sing" (and I guess "Grace for Drowning" too) - if we consider Porcupine Tree's discography as part of his own; Nightwish's "Imaginaerum".

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 01:30
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

echolyn (2012)

echolyn

Djam Karet

Agreed but that doesn't fit in with the OP question "are there other bands, that surprised us with awesome albums although their predecessor albums maybe weren´t that much critically acclaimed?"
The OP is not clear at all, as the title is "Bands with strong outputs after a long history... ...of successful releases"

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 01:32
Weird that no one up to now has mentioned Rush. They have also had exactly the same line up for 40 years and still putting out quality albums. OK they may be 3-4 star albums rather than 4-5 star albums but I can live with that.

Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 16:15
Fish, of course.

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 17:12

Djam Karet

Agreed. And still not able to write something meaningful about this new album!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 17:25
I know, I've been mentioning these guys in every thread I get a chance of late, but I really think Motorpsycho fits the bill here.

After releasing several, IMO, excellent and progressive albums in the '90's and early 2000's, they changed drummers from Hĺkon Gebhardt, who, according to the band's front man, Bent Sćther*, tried to play jazz, to Kenneth Kapstad, who, according to Sćther again*, is jazz, and moved closer towards a more traditional perception of what prog rock is, although retaining key elements of their unique style, of what's made them popular in the past, such as the fuzzy guitar sound, and perhaps culminated their career with the 2012 masterpiece The Death Defying Unicorn, 22 years after their first official release.

*citation taken from memory and may not be exact

-------------

Posted By: javajeff
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 19:44
Ozric Tentacles? I personally love the new Dream Theater album. The new Fates Warning album is excellent.

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 21:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Weird that no one up to now has mentioned Rush. They have also had exactly the same line up for 40 years and still putting out quality albums. OK they may be 3-4 star albums rather than 4-5 star albums but I can live with that.

Agreed. Especially since most people prefer the 2000's-2010's material over their 1990's albums. Prime example.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 22:40
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Agreed. Especially since most people prefer the 2000's-2010's material over their 1990's albums. Prime example.

Indeed. Actually, overall, Clockwork Angels may just as well be my favourite Rush album.

Posted By: freyacat
Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 00:34
I'm glad you mentioned the last Rush album. Astounding, one of the most remarkable albums of their career.

Another one I have on my mind, just compare the new Saga album, "Sagacity," to the new Yes album - "Heaven and Earth." Saga are putting out some of the most energetic and inspiring music of their career, and Yes... oh I weep...

-------------
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time

Posted By: JCDenton
Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 23:01
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

I know, I've been mentioning these guys in every thread I get a chance of late, but I really think Motorpsycho fits the bill here.

I was glad someone covered this before me. Motorpsycho's a great example!

I often forget Porcupine Tree were making albums for over a decade before releasing In Absentia, and over fifteen years before Fear of a Blank Planet. Hm.. Everything else I've thought of has already been mentioned in this thread. Oh, yeah. It seems every Discipline release has gotten better and better!

-------------
"We have grown, but there is still much to be done. Many that live in darkness that must be shown the way, for it is the dawning of a new day."

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 00:47
Some of the old-school bands seem to have definitely lost the mojo (Yes as prime example, I'd dare to mention DT but I'l wait for their next album before deciding) which honestly is understandable, with Yes we are talking people who are over their 60's now.
But for those who retain some creativity, I think it has been very important for them to realise that there still exists a solid base of loyal Prog lovers, and that many people want more classic Prog from them. For some period they may have tried to reach to younger and wider audiences through more commercial music, but in most cases they have rather failed, neither convincing the proggers neither the targeted new audience, and finally they have realised that if they keep doing good Prog they can still receive strong support from the loyal Prog fan-base, so this has resulted in some revival of really good Prog by bands which had already a long history.

Posted By: Earthmover
Date Posted: July 10 2014 at 17:12
Aside from Swans (which were already mentioned), I would like to say Ulver. Constantly amazing, and their last is one of their best.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Bequeathed" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: July 10 2014 at 17:12
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Some of the old-school bands seem to have definitely lost the mojo (Yes as prime example, I'd dare to mention DT but I'l wait for their next album before deciding) which honestly is understandable, with Yes we are talking people who are over their 60's now.
But for those who retain some creativity, I think it has been very important for them to realise that there still exists a solid base of loyal Prog lovers, and that many people want more classic Prog from them. For some period they may have tried to reach to younger and wider audiences through more commercial music, but in most cases they have rather failed, neither convincing the proggers neither the targeted new audience, and finally they have realised that if they keep doing good Prog they can still receive strong support from the loyal Prog fan-base, so this has resulted in some revival of really good Prog by bands which had already a long history.

well said!

i found another one: Galahad - their newest effords are really great! Approve

-------------
It's just a ride... <3

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: July 15 2014 at 09:52
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Indeed. Actually, overall, Clockwork Angels may just as well be my favourite Rush album.

Maybe it's because I'm not so young and impressionable anymore but I prefer older Rush to newer Rush. The last album to truly resonate with me was Presto. Counterparts is probably next. Clockwork Angels is a good album. Light years better than either Vapor Trails or Snakes & Arrows

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: July 15 2014 at 10:02
Magma. After taking a nose-dive in the 80's, the band has returned with some of their best material ever (KA, Ehmtett (meh, I'm too lazy to look up how it's actually spelled) Re, and Felicite Thosz).

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Billy Pilgrim
Date Posted: July 19 2014 at 16:15

For me it's totally different and almost incomparable to their early output. Not sure which I prefer but it hardly sounds like the same band.

Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 16:01
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Maybe it's because I'm not so young and impressionable anymore but I prefer older Rush to newer Rush. The last album to truly resonate with me was Presto. Counterparts is probably next. Clockwork Angels is a good album. Lights years better than either Vapor Trails or Snakes & Arrows

Well, I guess I could say I am rather new to Rush, the last few years, but I did get all their 70's albums (up to Moving Pictures) before Clockwork Angels was released (besides those albums, I have a pair of live albums, but just about nothing else from Moving Pictures up to Clockwork Angels). I'm sure most of their 70's albums have songs I like better than just about anything from Clockwork Angels... but at the same time, Clockrwork Angels is the only album in which I do like every single song... and from what I've heard on the live albums I have, I don't think any of the other albums I'm missing would be close to doing the same thing (well, I have Snakes and Arrows live, and it's got a lot of songs that are really great too).

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 10:41

Maybe it's because I'm not so young and impressionable anymore but I prefer older Rush to newer Rush. The last album to truly resonate with me was Presto. Counterparts is probably next. Clockwork Angels is a good album. Lights years better than either Vapor Trails or Snakes & Arrows

Well, I guess I could say I am rather new to Rush, the last few years, but I did get all their 70's albums (up to Moving Pictures) before Clockwork Angels was released (besides those albums, I have a pair of live albums, but just about nothing else from Moving Pictures up to Clockwork Angels). I'm sure most of their 70's albums have songs I like better than just about anything from Clockwork Angels... but at the same time, Clockrwork Angels is the only album in which I do like every single song... and from what I've heard on the live albums I have, I don't think any of the other albums I'm missing would be close to doing the same thing (well, I have Snakes and Arrows live, and it's got a lot of songs that are really great too).

Rush is so different, before and after Moving Pictures, I can understand why people who like the earlier stuff are not all that fond of the 80s output. I love it. Power Windows speaks to me in completely different ways than Hemispheres does. The constant is that they both speak to me and that's why Rush is my favorite band.

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 10:44
Another band I think has been putting out very strong albums of late has been Saga. I think everything they've done from Network on has been really good and matches their early 80's output for quality and prog-quotient.

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 11:37

Rush is so different, before and after Moving Pictures, I can understand why people who like the earlier stuff are not all that fond of the 80s output. I love it. Power Windows speaks to me in completely different ways than Hemispheres does. The constant is that they both speak to me and that's why Rush is my favorite band.

In the '80s, fans of '70s Rush lamented the introduction of keyboards. In the '90s, fans of '70s-'80s Rush lamented, with the exception of Counterparts, albums that were good from start to finish because Presto, Roll The Bones and T4E (with the exception of the universally lauded "Driven") were patchier than what Rush fans were used to. Face it, we were spoiled.

In spite of its controversial mastering, I felt Vapor Trails was a return to form. Rush sounded like a band reinvigorated and Neil drummed like a madman again. Gone was the more laidback feel of Presto and RTB with those tinny REM-esque guitars. Rush sounded like a power trio again.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 22 2014 at 01:06
^ yep and I find the last 3 albums all very enjoyable. They try really hard and that has to be commended.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk