Print Page | Close Window

New Floyd album

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98838
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 16:02
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Floyd album
Posted By: silverpot
Subject: New Floyd album
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 10:08
So here's news from a reliable source ( a tweeting Mrs Gilmour), A new Floyd album is on it's way, the title will be The Endless River. It's made around what Rick Wright left behind, and probably a lot of the stuff both Gilmour and Wright were working on during the so called Barn Jams.

http://https://twitter.com/pollysamson/status/485411029573439488" rel="nofollow - http://https://twitter.com/pollysamson/status/485411029573439488

The management has also coinfirmed that a new Gilmour album will be out 2015.

Replies:
Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 10:51
Sweet

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 11:39
This states Roger is involved.....I'd have to see that to believe it.   I wish I could get excited about it, but like many of the original bands I think any new material would be far less exciting than when they  were a true "band of brothers".  JMO.

http://en.mediamass.net/people/pink-floyd/new-album.html" rel="nofollow - http://en.mediamass.net/people/pink-floyd/new-album.html

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 11:48
Assuming it's not a hoax and even if it turns out to be the biggest pile crap that ever graced a turntable, this news has made my day.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 12:03
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

This states Roger is involved......  JMO.

http://en.mediamass.net/people/pink-floyd/new-album.html" rel="nofollow - http://en.mediamass.net/people/pink-floyd/new-album.html

Roger is not a member of Pink Floyd (he left 1985), so he's not involved.
However, he's rumoured to be working on a solo album, to be released next year.

Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 12:17
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Assuming it's not a hoax and even if it turns out to be the biggest pile crap that ever graced a turntable, this news has made my day.

No it's not a hoax, I promise. LOL  It's even confirmed by the "Organisation", not just Polly. But she spilled the beans,
I don't know anything about the crapiness though, but according to Jon Carin (very inofficially, of course) it's absolutely beautiful. Both the PF and the Gilmour.

I kind of envision (enaudition?)  the album more like a soundscape piece of music more than a rock song record. 

Posted By: melotron98
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 12:45
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL... I can't believe ^^

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 12:59
As long as it doesn't sound just like what I would expect it to sound like, i'll likely be pleased with the result. The last Gilmour album did that for me - a much different vibe than what I expected, and even though it didn't blow me away, it struck me as an honest piece of work. I hope the Floyd does the same, and not worry about how "Floyd" it sounds.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 13:06

Pretty much my thoughts too.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 13:26
If you mix up Jim's, Dean's and Steve's responses to this you'll get a fair whiff of how I feel about it. 10 years ago I would have been over the moon about a new Floyd album, but nowadays I find it increasingly difficult to get excited about a pensioner come together, even if it is one of my absolute favourite bands.
The good thing about this is the fact that it will be very easy to surprise me.
Still, like Dean mentioned, this made my day (along with the rain that just began now after an insufferably humid, hot and bugfilled Saturday. Feels so cleansing).

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 13:29
My first thought was this was a hoax, but then I saw that the source of the info was Polly Samson.  All I can say is wow.  And if Rick had a large hand in the composition of the album, I have to say I have high hopes (couldn't resist) for the album.  Totally stoked.

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 13:50

Darn, you beat me to it. Only my heading would've had several exclamation points: NEW PINK FLOYD ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 13:58
The only way it could be a hoax is if Polly Samson's twitter account got hacked. 
 If that were the case we'd know about it by now.  

But also backing singer  Durga McBroom has posted about it too.  

I'm glad Rick Wright's music will be included.

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: LakeGlade12
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 14:04
Cool I will definitely give it a listen, hopefully they will have lots of strong ideas over the last 20 years of inactivity. Then again Yes had few new ideas after 10 years of no albums...

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 14:05
neat

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 14:36
Though I don't tend to be too eager on jurassic manifestations in the prog scene of the 2010's, I found this news rather exciting.

-------------

Posted By: Luna
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 14:52
I'm pretty skeptical on the potential quality of this album, but only time will tell

-------------
https://aprilmaymarch.bandcamp.com/track/the-badger" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Aldebaran_Well
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 14:58
Though Floyd is my all time favorite band,I'd really prefer to focus my attention in new bands
that really NEED it.

-------------
Some men are hunting hawks,some men are busy bees,
some louder than a storm,others silent as the trees,
but we're all dressed up as one,noone stands out in the crowd,
We're strangers in this town.

Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 15:04
Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

I'm pretty skeptical on the potential quality of this album, but only time will tell

The quality will be impeccable, but you might not like the music to go with it. I'm a bit nervoud myself. Wink

Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 15:29

I don't think Floyd would go out with a mediocre album. Their first tribute album is a masterpiece (Wish You Were Here), this one will be a tribute to Richard Wright - I think it's going to be the best album they can put forward. And I can't imagine that Roger Waters isn't involved in some way. I'm sure he'll be on this album, as a tribute to Wright.

Gilmour's most recent album was his best. I still always listen to tracks like On an Island and The Blue. (I'd love an entire album of tracks like those two.) So I'm quite hopeful.

Posted By: Matthew _Gill
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 16:33
Don't care who is involved in the 2014 Floyd collective so long as I get to hear 'THAT' voice and guitar again.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpOoJ0OTLg0&t" rel="nofollow - Click here to see a mind-blowing Flashlight

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 16:37
Awesome news!!!

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 16:41
I'm in......Gilmour is a genius and a master guitar picker and something created by Wright, sounds very interesting to me.
Very good news....for the prog community.

-------------

Posted By: Matthew _Gill
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 17:05
The greatest of all time giving us fresh sounds, what is not to like? 

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpOoJ0OTLg0&t" rel="nofollow - Click here to see a mind-blowing Flashlight

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 17:31
I so hope this becomes a reality !!! I love those 'Barn Jams', and Gilmour's 'On An Island' is pure ear-candy. I'm sure there'd be something in the bag to get another Floyd album on the racks.....
Keeping fingers, arms, legs, and eyes crossed.....

Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 17:33
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

I don't think Floyd would go out with a mediocre album. Their first tribute album is a masterpiece (Wish You Were Here), this one will be a tribute to Richard Wright - I think it's going to be the best album they can put forward. And I can't imagine that Roger Waters isn't involved in some way. I'm sure he'll be on this album, as a tribute to Wright.

Gilmour's most recent album was his best. I still always listen to tracks like On an Island and The Blue. (I'd love an entire album of tracks like those two.) So I'm quite hopeful.

Roger isn't involved, this album is evolved from The Division Bell and the Barn Jams.

Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 17:42
Rick was a friend of Roger too, hard to fathom that Rog wouldn't be involved out of respect for his buddy with whom he had no legal issues with.....

Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 17:45

Wasn't there also word that Rick Wright was working on a follow-up to Broken China? I wonder if any of the material for that might also be used?

Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

I don't think Floyd would go out with a mediocre album. Their first tribute album is a masterpiece (Wish You Were Here), this one will be a tribute to Richard Wright - I think it's going to be the best album they can put forward. And I can't imagine that Roger Waters isn't involved in some way. I'm sure he'll be on this album, as a tribute to Wright. [...]

Roger isn't involved, this album is evolved from The Division Bell and the Barn Jams. 

How can anyone know for sure at this point? From what I've read, details are still a bit sketchy...

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 17:51
Hearing something from Rick will be great

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Kazza3
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 19:27

Wasn't there also word that Rick Wright was working on a follow-up to Broken China? I wonder if any of the material for that might also be used?

I don't think Floyd would go out with a mediocre album. Their first tribute album is a masterpiece (Wish You Were Here), this one will be a tribute to Richard Wright - I think it's going to be the best album they can put forward. And I can't imagine that Roger Waters isn't involved in some way. I'm sure he'll be on this album, as a tribute to Wright. [...]

How can anyone know for sure at this point? From what I've read, details are still a bit sketchy...

Yeah. It seems unlikely, but then again Waters & Gilmour seem to have been getting on better in recent years, the appearance at one of The Wall concerts, etc.

Posted By: Clepsydra
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 19:35
All I can say is :YABBA DABBA DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Mr. Maestro
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 21:03
Now that's exciting! I do hope they can get Waters involved somehow, even if it's just a guest appearance.

-------------
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 23:05
I do am getting ever more exited about this. After rapidly loosing hope for the new Yes album, this news are really great. For what I understood from the news I've read, this album will use the leftovers from "Division Bell" (which I must admit doesn't sound so very promising... but it's Pink Floyd, they have never released a weak album under their name... at least not since Dark Side, or even before that). However, if some of the rumors mentioned on this thread are true (which I would be a bit wary to believe), and the barn jams and the work Wright was doing before passing away are really being used too, that would be just awsome and might give more material to work on. And, if by any chance, Waters was to be involved on this project too, that would just seal the deal... however, I don't really think that would happen. Now, which should be the better release this year? Pink Floyd, David Gilmour solo, or Roger Waters solo? It's too much for one year.

Date Posted: July 05 2014 at 23:08
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I do am getting ever more exited about this. After rapidly loosing hope for the new Yes album, this news are really great. For what I understood from the news I've read, this album will use the leftovers from "Division Bell" (which I must admit doesn't sound so very promising... but it's Pink Floyd, they have never released a weak album under their name... at least not since Dark Side, or even before that). However, if some of the rumors mentioned on this thread are true (which I would be a bit wary to believe), and the barn jams and the work Wright was doing before passing away are really being used too, that would be just awsome and might give more material to work on. And, if by any chance, Waters was to be involved on this project too, that would just seal the deal... however, I don't really think that would happen. Now, which should be the better release this year? Pink Floyd, David Gilmour solo, or Roger Waters solo? It's too much for one year.

I don't want to get your hopes up. I was only speculating about whether unused Wright compositions would be on the album. I never read anything to the effect; I only vaguely remember reading something about Wright working on a follow-up to Broken China. Does anyone else remember reading something along those lines?

BTW, if that new Waters song that was recently released is anything to go by, his new album could be quite lame... (I admire his politics, I agree with him 100% concerning his views of the Israeli occupation and his calls for a South Africa Apartheid-like boycott of Israel; I just didn't like that new track at all.)

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 01:05
Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

Indeed, but it's nice to read that they are making another go at it, especially using Rick's material and all that.

At ay rate, ill listen to it.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 02:16
Not really excited at all . Let me guess that this will be a plodding mostly instrumental album with some standard bluesy guitar bits?

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 02:22
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Not really excited at all . Let me guess that this will be a plodding mostly instrumental album with some standard bluesy guitar bits?
Exactly what I like Big smile

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 02:36
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Works for me too....

-------------

Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 03:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Works for me too....
Me three

Posted By: MustardSea
Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 05:17
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Works for me too....
Me three

and for me - bring it on!

-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8335" rel="nofollow - Kanoi on PA
http://kanoi.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - kanoi.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 07:38

Works for me too....
Me three

Me four. Tongue

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 08:13

Works for me too....
Me three

Me four. Tongue

Me five Big smile

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 09:22
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Works for me too....
Me three

Me four. Tongue

Me five Big smile

i don't give a sh*t what it is, im still buying it damnit!! Evil Smile

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: zumacraig
Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 10:22
It's just damn fun and exciting that Floyd has an album coming out.  Of course, the glory days are behind us, but Division Bell and Momentary Lapse had some good moments.  I really hope they tour a bit.  We are getting to the end of the classic rock artists being able to be on the road, so this is just damn fun!!

-------------
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt

Posted By: melotron98
Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 12:02
After that what Yes has published so far, it is really difficult for me to get excited about their new album. I thought I'd preorder that but I want to spend my money on better music. I'm excited about Pink Floyd's new album but I'm worried that it will be poor. Unhappy Time will show, I hope I'll be satisfied. Wink

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 13:36
I love the idea of a new Floyd album coming out but I do hope that Roger Waters is involved musically and lyrically.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 14:11
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I love the idea of a new Floyd album coming out but I do hope that Roger Waters is involved musically and lyrically.
oink oink flap flap LOL

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 14:16
There are actually none of the classic prog bands from the '70's that I am interested in when it comes to new material.  I don't even listen to them very much anymore vs the vital new stuff going on by new bands these days. So you who are enthused get to try it first. Big smile

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: sherrynoland
Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 17:05
http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/07/pink-floyd-to-release-new-album-the-endless-river-in-october/" rel="nofollow - http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/07/pink-floyd-to-release-new-album-the-endless-river-in-october/

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/FlashFeaturingRayBennettColinCarter" rel="nofollow - https://www.facebook.com/FlashFeaturingRayBennettColinCarter

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 19:23
This provides a bit more info, got this (kill me now) from the Rolling Stone webpage (Hey, it was the first link that came up! ):

Durga McBroom-Hudson, a singer who toured with Pink Floyd in the 1980s and 1990s and is apparently involved in the new project, offered more details on `The Endless River' through her Facebook page. "The recording did start during The Division Bell sessions (and yes, it was the side project originally titled 'The Big Spliff' that Nick Mason spoke about)," she explained. "Which is why there are Richard Wright tracks on it. But David and Nick have gone in and done a lot more since then. It was originally to be a completely instrumental recording, but I came in last December and sang on a few tracks. David then expanded on my backing vocals and has done a lead on at least one of them. That's the song you see being worked on in the photo." She went on to emphasize that the new album will consist entirely of unreleased songs.

Hopefuly, although I really wouldn't want to hear a purely instrumental Floyd album (as much as I love instrumental discs).....but damn `The Endless River' is a slightly cliched and unoriginal title.

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 21:31
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

It was originally to be a completely instrumental recording, but I came in last December and sang on a few tracks. David then expanded on my backing vocals and has done a lead on at least one of them. 

This worries me. I was hoping that The Endless River would be mainly instrumental. Roger Waters is a one of a kind genius; on the post-Barrett, pre-AMLOR PF albums he was able to express very complex and unconventional thoughts with clarity and elegance (while maintaining proper rhythm and rhyme). On the AMLOR, the lyricists are already struggling. Apart from One Slip - hate to say it - the lyrics are either rickety, or commonplace, or fragmented/vague/abstruse. It doesn't get any better on The Division Bell. But, if they decided to add some lyrics and vocals after all, I guess there is very little we can do about it. 

Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 22:01
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Works for me too....
Me three
Me four. Tongue
Me five Big smile

i don't give a sh*t what it is, im still buying it damnit!! Evil Smile

Yeah, I guess it would be fine for me. But this is no King Crimson, and Gilmour is no Fripp, so I don't think he would be up to doing such an album at this point of life under the name of Pink Floyd. Perhaps under his solo name, but under Pink Floyd he would surely be thinking about a more polished finished conventional product. Back in the day they would surely have been up to the task, but no more.

Date Posted: July 06 2014 at 22:21

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I don't want to get your hopes up. I was only speculating about whether unused Wright compositions would be on the album. I never read anything to the effect; I only vaguely remember reading something about Wright working on a follow-up to Broken China. Does anyone else remember reading something along those lines?
BTW, if that new Waters song that was recently released is anything to go by, his new album could be quite lame... (I admire his politics, I agree with him 100% concerning his views of the Israeli occupation and his calls for a South Africa Apartheid-like boycott of Israel; I just didn't like that new track at all.)

Yeah, I do understand this... that's whay I said that what I know for (almost) fact that they will be using is leftovers from DB. However, I would wonder if they would be up to the quality of a new Floyd album... I would just have to hope Gilmour knows what he is doing. About the unfinished Wright album, I have read about it, and even posted it more than once in this forum, and have thought before that it would have been great if Gilmour would take whatever was advanced and finished it... perhaps under the Pink Floyd name. And, in order to have enough quality material for a new album, I do believe Gilmour would need to use not only those leftovers, but also the Barn Jams and what Wright might have been able to record for that new album... so I do hope Gilmour is using some of those too.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 01:50
We are all so funny and without stirring the thread up....some of us so damn self righteousTongue

WTF????? A new Pink Floyd album, best news this year by far. We all knew there was material left over from Rick's sessions and many many bands use unreleased material to forge ahead with a new release. I would be disappointed if Roger is not part of the album given the ' bonding' between them in recent years and well Water's input would be incredible to say the least. He has said he is working on a solo for the last 22 years, there is only one other artist that keeps procrastinating on new material like Water's, yes Peter Gabriel! So anyway wonderful news even if it 5 minutes of new PF material, I would be stoked.

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 02:06
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Water's has said he is working on a solo for the last 22 years

It used to crack me up when, about every two years or so, a story would come up on music websites about Waters working on a new solo album, and every time I'd roll my eyes and think `Ain't gonna happen!'

Of course, we were lucky to get one or two Bob Dylan covers from him....oh, be still my beating heart and can I maintain my excitement?!

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 02:45
It may not be Floyd from the heart, but Floyd in spirit. I love the few Barn Jams I have on the Gdansk LP set, if this is an indication, then there's potential for some choice material.

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 03:35

We are all so funny and without stirring the thread up....some of us so damn self righteousTongue

WTF????? A new Pink Floyd album, best news this year by far. We all knew there was material left over from Rick's sessions and many many bands use unreleased material to forge ahead with a new release. I would be disappointed if Roger is not part of the album given the ' bonding' between them in recent years and well Water's input would be incredible to say the least. He has said he is working on a solo for the last 22 years, there is only one other artist that keeps procrastinating on new material like Water's, yes Peter Gabriel! So anyway wonderful news even if it 5 minutes of new PF material, I would be stoked.
ClapClapClap

Absolutely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sure a new Floyd album would out-sell all of his solo albums put together, but I don't believe that he has ever openly exploited the name just for the money and the ticket sales - like Waters, he's doing just fine as a solo artist. Given the success of the albums On An Island and Live In Gadansk and the video releases of David Gilmour In Concert and Remember That Night (all released under his own name and all featuring Rick Wright, with all the live tours and subsequent live recordings drawing heavily on the Pink Floyd back-catalogue) then if he feels that The Endless River is a Pink Floyd album and not a David Gilmour solo album then it should be assumed that he has good reason to do so.

The Barn Jams were released as a bonus disc to Live In Gadansk as part of the David Gilmour discography, not as Pink Floyd and they are all credited to Gilmour even though Rick is playing on them. The same is true of Island Jam from Remember That Night. So if there were parts of those jam sessions that can be credited to (or with) Rick Wright then it is my guess that he possibly didn't feel comfortable releasing them, not because they were not up to muster, but because (possibly out of respect for Wright) he didn't regard them as solo release material.

I remember at the first Meltdown concert in June 2001 an audience member shouted out something about a new Floyd album and his response was "Who gives a f**k?" - (to a huge roar of laughter from the audience) ...13 years later the answer is clear "David Gilmour does". But until more details of this album are announced all we can do is guess and speculate - and that's part of the fun and excitement of it all because love it or loath it, we all "give a f**k" - several of them in fact.

Anyway, I hope Phil Manzanera is on the album. Approve

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 04:08
To be a totally instrumental album would be somewhat of a 'cop-out'. Not that Gilmour and Wright's work is not up to snuff, but a full instrumental work from one of 'the greats' would certainly divide fans. Wright may not be a 'virtuoso' in the true sense, but no-one can match his magic touch and ideas. Waters was a competent bassist, no doubt, and Mason's drumming style fit the band's material perfectly, but it's definitely the keyboards from Rick, and Gilmour's amazing guitar stylings that define Floyd for me..........

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 04:26
I'd like a slightly `bigger' sounding album that still has the same restraint as Gilmour's `On An Island'.

I think, if it was mostly instrumental, then it might be closer to RichardH's `plodding instrumental album with some standard bluesy guitar bits?' assumption from a page or so back. We need to hear Dave sing, otherwise it will end up sounding a little less special....and probably like a bunch of albums and bands scattered over the Archives!

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 04:28
The album won't be fully instrumental, I think. At least there is a female choir with Durga McBroom as one of the singers.

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 04:34
I think, Mr Else, we were just referring to lead vocals from David (and/or Roger, but I doubt he's involved in this). Yes it has been confirmed Durga is singing on one.

But I'll ask you and anyone else...would you WANT to hear a mostly instrumental Pink Floyd album? I certainly don't, as nice as the playing would be. But Dave's voice is still in great shape, with his tone and character intact...I just think (excluding Gilmour's guitar sound) that an instrumental album would sound a lot more...anonymous?

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 04:52
^ all speculative at best.....Gilmour's voice is well one of his finest instruments. Let's see what happens eh?

Ref Dean's post, would love to see Manzanera on an album as well as John Carin, Guy Pratt - Rick's son in law.....hmmm could pose a tricky scenario there already ref Mr. WatersTongue

-------------

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 05:15

I think, Mr Else, we were just referring to lead vocals from David (and/or Roger, but I doubt he's involved in this). Yes it has been confirmed Durga is singing on one.

But I'll ask you and anyone else...would you WANT to hear a mostly instrumental Pink Floyd album? I certainly don't, as nice as the playing would be. But Dave's voice is still in great shape, with his tone and character intact...I just think (excluding Gilmour's guitar sound) that an instrumental album would sound a lot more...anonymous?

Well, I fully agree that David's voice is not affected by age (btw, Roger is another story). I have no objections against an entirely instrumental album, but some songs with David on lead vocals, and even one or two with Roger singing, would give the album a nice signature.

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 05:41
Since this new album will be based on The Division Bell there's zero chance Roger will participate. He absolutely detests Bell. LOL

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 06:46
This is fantastic news. I hope Gilmour sings and belts put his customary lead guitar brilliance.

Nice to hear new Floyd after all these years. This promises to be the album release of the year.

HIGH Hopes for this one!

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 07:02
Guy Pratt would surely fill the Bass spot. Able is he, but not as magical as Rog........(and I'm not even a Rog obsessive.....)

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 07:14
If it's got backing vocals then it's most likely going to have fronting vocals of some kind as Gilmour does seem to enjoy singing so it's hard to imagine that he won't. Non-singing instrumentals tend to be either short or experimental. Experimental would be interesting but I can't see it happening. One of the speculative news reports said something about back to basics - when you're Pink Floyd that can mean so many things.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 07:29

If it's got backing vocals then it's most likely going to have fronting vocals of some kind as Gilmour does seem to enjoy singing so it's hard to imagine that he won't. Non-singing instrumentals tend to be either short or experimental. Experimental would be interesting but I can't see it happening. One of the speculative news reports said something about back to basics - when you're Pink Floyd that can mean so many things.

Yah I would not be impressed with an instrumental PF album. I recall the awful instrumental VDGG album... that was a disaster.

mind you instrumental albums can be great its just that PF would  not be the same without vocals.. "More" is not a good xample of PF

We dont need no orchestration....  we dont need no voice omissions... no dark instrumentals in the studio... People leave Old Pink alone...

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 07:36
Confused The soundtrack to the film More is not an instrumental album - yes it has six instrumental tracks (as would many soundtrack albums) it contains three of my favourite Floyd sing-a-long songs - who hasn't belted out The Nile Song during a drunken moment....? ... or is it just me who does that? Embarrassed 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 07:51
^^ I knew someone would bite with that dig at MoreLOL

Yes it just you... altogether now...

I was standing by the Nile
Whe I saw the lady smile.
I would take her out for a while,
For a while. 
Light tears wept like a child.
How her golden hair was blowing wild.
Then she spread her wings to fly,
For to fly. 

-------------

Posted By: streetlight_alex
Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 07:57
What I'm asking myself is who's gonna do the artworks ? Since Thorgerson past away last year...
Pink Floyd's cover art are legendary, they'll have to make something great for this one too

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 08:00

This provides a bit more info, got this (kill me now) from the Rolling Stone webpage (Hey, it was the first link that came up! ):

Durga McBroom-Hudson, a singer who toured with Pink Floyd in the 1980s and 1990s and is apparently involved in the new project, offered more details on `The Endless River' through her Facebook page. "The recording did start during The Division Bell sessions (and yes, it was the side project originally titled 'The Big Spliff' that Nick Mason spoke about)," she explained. "Which is why there are Richard Wright tracks on it. But David and Nick have gone in and done a lot more since then. It was originally to be a completely instrumental recording, but I came in last December and sang on a few tracks. David then expanded on my backing vocals and has done a lead on at least one of them. That's the song you see being worked on in the photo." She went on to emphasize that the new album will consist entirely of unreleased songs.

Hopefuly, although I really wouldn't want to hear a purely instrumental Floyd album (as much as I love instrumental discs).....but damn `The Endless River' is a slightly cliched and unoriginal title.

Ah I kinda agree with The Endless River being a strange title but what I love about it is its the last sentiments on High Hopes lyrics- the last original PF song on the last album....
so it makes sense to use the line as the nexst album title

The grass was greener
The light was brighter
The taste was sweeter
The nights of wonder
With friends surrounded
The dawn mist glowing
The water flowing
The endless river

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 08:02
Originally posted by streetlight_alex streetlight_alex wrote:

What I'm asking myself is who's gonna do the artworks ? Since Thorgerson past away last year...
Pink Floyd's cover art are legendary, they'll have to make something great for this one too

yeah good call there

I would hope its some other legendary artist. Sad that Thorgerson just missed out on this new project...Unhappy

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 08:04

Related topic: I must've been living in a cave, because I never knew about the existence of the "barn jams" till now. Listening now on Youtube. Wow.

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 08:09
Roj says bring back Rog.

I'd love a mainly instrumental album actually, especially if it's in the vein of the intro music off the Division Bell tour.  I've even seen mentions of similarities to the Orb/Gilmour album Metallic Spheres........

Oh, and lay off More Wink.  That's an absolute classic album, love it.

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 08:11
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

yeah good call there

I would hope its some other legendary artist. Sad that Thorgerson just missed out on this new project...Unhappy
Storm was more an instigator and facilitator rather than an artist and much of the artwork on Hipgnosis' covers was created by other people (George Hardie being the most notable from a Floyd perspective). His input undoubtedly be will be missed even if some of his later output seemed to lean to heavily on his past successes - The Cranberries Bury The Hatchet cover for example looked like something snaffled off the Division Bell reject pile.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 08:12

yeah good call there

Maybe he didn't miss out. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in on the whole thing and managed to finish something.

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 08:19

yeah good call there

Maybe he didn't miss out. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in on the whole thing and managed to finish something.

Well that would be nice in a perfect world. High Hopes for this album!Star

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 09:10
`More' - my absolute favourite Floyd album, such a fragile, shimmering acid-friend pscyh beauty! Second Roj's love for it!

Good pick-up Scott with the final line of `High Hopes' being the new album title!

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 09:14
Meet the new Floyd. Same as the old Floyd. (I was only dreaming.)

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 09:44
Good album or not, it will haunt me until I buy it.

But I'm psyched! can't really help it  Big smile

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 09:54
Oh, me too Sagi...I really believed we'd have more of a chance getting a new Collins fronted Genesis album before this.

But a new album from a band that eclipses almost every other prog band, not only in a strong and varied body of defining music, but in sheer popularity and commercial appeal....loved by endless millions who have no idea what the hell "prog" is....

I still can't believe it.....

NEW F**KING PINK FLOYD ALBUM!!!

October isn't too far away either!

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 12:18
https://www.facebook.com/pinkfloyd" rel="nofollow - I just read that Roger Waters will not be on the album and that the album will mainly consist of ambient and instrumental music. Phil Manzanera is one of the co-producers.

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 12:56
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/pinkfloyd" rel="nofollow -  I just read  that Roger Waters will not be on the album and that the album will mainly consist of ambient and instrumental music. Phil Manzanera is one of the co-producers.

Damn! That stinks. It really, really does, but it's a new Floyd album, so I suppose I should be grateful for whatever they put out since they were such an important band for me.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 13:40
From the Pink Floyd Facebook page and offical website http://www.pinkfloyd.com/news/index.php" rel="nofollow - www.pinkfloyd.com/news/index.php  

Quote Pink Floyd can confirm that they are releasing a new album "The Endless River" in October 2014. It is an album of mainly ambient and instrumental music based on the 1993/4 Division Bell sessions which feature David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright. The album is produced by David Gilmour with Phil Manzanera, Youth and recording engineer Andy Jackson. Work is still in progress, but more details to come at the end of the Summer.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 13:58
It's great news imo that they will 'back to basic'.
It can be a mediocre album and it will not be some scandal really. Though, there is also a big chance to be GREAT album.

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 14:34

https://www.facebook.com/pinkfloyd" rel="nofollow -  I just read  that Roger Waters will not be on the album and that the album will mainly consist of ambient and instrumental music. Phil Manzanera is one of the co-producers.

Damn! That stinks. It really, really does, but it's a new Floyd album, so I suppose I should be grateful for whatever they put out since they were such an important band for me.

Have you heard Roger's latest output?
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhNyfq7hpBw" rel="nofollow - http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhNyfq7hpBw

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 14:41

From the Pink Floyd Facebook page and offical website http://www.pinkfloyd.com/news/index.php" rel="nofollow - www.pinkfloyd.com/news/index.php  

Quote Pink Floyd can confirm that they are releasing a new album "The Endless River" in October 2014. It is an album of mainly ambient and instrumental music based on the 1993/4 Division Bell sessions which feature David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright. The album is produced by David Gilmour with Phil Manzanera, Youth and recording engineer Andy Jackson. Work is still in progress, but more details to come at the end of the Summer.

Arhh nuts! 
So this means no 'Atom Heart Mother 2' then?Tongue

They need to get back together with Ron Geesin and smoke some space tobacco imo. 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 14:42

https://www.facebook.com/pinkfloyd" rel="nofollow - I just read that Roger Waters will not be on the album and that the album will mainly consist of ambient and instrumental music. Phil Manzanera is one of the co-producers.

What about Nick Mason's participation on the album? There's no PF album without him. Ermm

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 15:00

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhNyfq7hpBw" rel="nofollow - http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhNyfq7hpBw

Your link doesn't workSmile

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 15:02

What about Nick Mason's participation on the album? There's no PF album without him. Ermm

Nick is still a member of Pink Floyd, he will be participating.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 15:47

From the Pink Floyd Facebook page and offical website: Pink Floyd can confirm that they are releasing a new album "The Endless River" in October 2014. It is an album of mainly ambient and instrumental music based on the 1993/4 Division Bell sessions which feature David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright. The album is produced by David Gilmour with Phil Manzanera, Youth and recording engineer Andy Jackson. Work is still in progress, but more details to come at the end of the Summer.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! Oh, did I mention the money they will make for this Pink Faux album?

Posted By: Kazza3
Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 19:09
I think "an album of mainly ambient and instrumental music" is actually a good thing, many of their best moments have been in that vein, and for me the best song on Bell was Cluster One. It also means less 80sy leftovers and more stuff that just wasn't suitable for that album. 

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 19:35
I wanna hear Roger sing ;[

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 20:33
I usually take a week off from work in August, it will October this year.

A full Endless River week.

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2014 at 20:50
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

I usually take a week off from work in August, it will October this year.

A full Endless River week.

Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: July 08 2014 at 00:38
I could listened to 'Marooned' for hours.......
Can't wait.........

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 08 2014 at 01:18

I could listened to 'Marooned' for hours.......

and stay awake?Wink

Date Posted: July 08 2014 at 03:15

Your link doesn't workSmile

Here it is:

@silverpot: Thanks, I hadn't heard it yet Smile.

-------------

Date Posted: July 08 2014 at 03:21
^ Thank you......man I hope this guy lives forever!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk