Heaven and Earth "Most Popular Album"?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98914
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 22:12
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Heaven and Earth "Most Popular Album"?
Posted By: Gerinski
Subject: Heaven and Earth "Most Popular Album"?
Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 08:23
It's kind of weird that already for a couple of days Yes' Heaven and Earth is appearing as "Most Popular Album (yesterday)" in PA's homepage, when it's rated 2.2 and it's receiving constant bashing by most people around here (I have not listened to it myself yet).
What does "Most Popular Album (yesterday)" actually mean? because as it is, it does not seem a very reliable guide (unless by "popular" we simply mean "most talked about" even if in a negative way).

Replies:
Posted By: JD
Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 08:32
I think the title is "Most Popular Artist" not 'Album'. It's my understanding that is a measure of how many times the band has been searched or visited. I may be wrong. Anyone else??

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 08:36
D'uh...I just saw the heading you were speaking about. Still, I think the concept is the same. Most searched. Then again, because it's footer is "Buy this album from a PA partner" it may be a simple matter of advertising $$'s. Either way, this is NOT a popular album by any definition.

-------------

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 08:36
how the hell should i know, you f**kin whiners.

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 09:24
What is your problem? Yours is one of the most useless posts a person could submit. If you don't care, don't reply. If you have anger issues, seek help. If you have nothing to contribute, move on. There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

-------------

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 09:28
I believe it is just a numerical record of the album receiving the most views in a 24 hours period.  Has nothing to do with the quality of the music.

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 09:55
This is a really strong album---it is Yes today---there are a few Beatle-esque songs that are just okay--but it flows nicely and deserves some love-it grows on you, it's not an instant winner--it's a grower not a shower---there are at least 4 prog songs on the album and while some of the lyrics are a bit insipid --what else is new with Yes? This album has some great playing on it--especially from Howe---and it is not OYE---this is a unmistakable Yes album.

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 10:07
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

What is your problem? Yours is one of the most useless posts a person could submit. If you don't care, don't reply. If you have anger issues, seek help. If you have nothing to contribute, move on. There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

sry... i just got inspired after watching this video with a VERY similar problem with pink floyd if you know where i am getting at. you just got to watch it (but its optional):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prd9zvfWlPA" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prd9zvfWlPA

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 10:09
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

This is a really strong album---it is Yes today---there are a few Beatle-esque songs that are just okay--but it flows nicely and deserves some love-it grows on you, it's not an instant winner--it's a grower not a shower---there are at least 4 prog songs on the album and while some of the lyrics are a bit insipid --what else is new with Yes? This album has some great playing on it--especially from Howe---and it is not OYE---this is a unmistakable Yes album.

cool, im gonna try it out myself and i might like it just as much as you do (its very likely btw lol). this goes along with my previous comment because idk how to quote two separate posts. how do you do that, exactly? just curious.

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 10:23
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

cool, im gonna try it out myself and i might like it just as much as you do (its very likely btw lol). this goes along with my previous comment because idk how to quote two separate posts. how do you do that, exactly? just curious.
Do "quote" on 2 separate tabs and then copy-paste from one to the other. When you have realised the simple syntax of the quote marks you don't even need to do that. 

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 10:23
and i forgot one thing: i was NOT attacking the guy that posted this or any other; it was the bunch of people who are bashing at it BEFORE its release (which kinda doesn't make sense unless they got it early somehow for some reason). some of them probably keep on wishing on Jon Anderson to rejoin (which don't get me wrong, it would be very cool!!) but if that's the case, they don't buy any of their albums that don't have him on vocals. Canadian Studmuffin did it, so why can't you?? also, for a previous post, arguably pretty much everyone in the whole world has some sort of obsession over money, whether they need or want it (the latter of which is a bitch lol). this band is no exception. they pretty much tour all the time nowadays, and they need the cash to continue to do so, even while Jon A was in the band (i think). nobody's perfect, that's all.

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 10:54

sry... i just got inspired after watching this video with a VERY similar problem with pink floyd if you know where i am getting at. you just got to watch it (but its optional):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prd9zvfWlPA" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prd9zvfWlPA

Inspired?? By Terrance?? No way !   I just wanted to push pencils deep into my ear canals. I could only get about 2 mins. in before I jettisoned. Dead

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 11:30
I found the album much more enjoyable than reviews would have led me to believe.  And I generally don't like the post-peak albums from the dinosaurs, with but a few exceptions.   I'd say this sounds more enthusiastic and more interesting than the last two Floyd albums, which always struck me as guys "going through the motions" with little spark.  Yes may sound lighter here but they sound engaged. 

Sure it's not 1973 Yes, but who can expect senior citizens to rock like young guys.  Adjust your expectations if you're going to try it.  Smile

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 12:46

Inspired?? By Terrance?? No way !   I just wanted to push pencils deep into my ear canals. I could only get about 2 mins. in before I jettisoned. Dead

...lol?

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 12:47
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Do "quote" on 2 separate tabs and then copy-paste from one to the other. When you have realised the simple syntax of the quote marks you don't even need to do that. 

ok... what simple syntax of the quote marks?? that was the only part i didn't get and nothing else.

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 16:18

ok... what simple syntax of the quote marks?? that was the only part i didn't get and nothing else.
look at it when you do any "quote", I can't post it because it will just display "quoted by" but the syntax will not be displayed.

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:02
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I found the album much more enjoyable than reviews would have led me to believe.  And I generally don't like the post-peak albums from the dinosaurs, with but a few exceptions.   I'd say this sounds more enthusiastic and more interesting than the last two Floyd albums, which always struck me as guys "going through the motions" with little spark.  Yes may sound lighter here but they sound engaged.   Sure it's not 1973 Yes, but who can expect senior citizens to rock like young guys.  Adjust your expectations if you're going to try it.  Smile

Your comments about the album have made me smile, Jim! Thanks for having a fair and level head when approaching it. I'll be posting a pretty fair and mostly positive review in the next week or so. I think most of the reviews so far are by smart-ass younger listeners who can't wait to stick the boot into the `old guard', or those under the delusion hoping that Yes, over 45 years in their career, are going to release some game-changing, reinventing proggy blowout! Never going to happen!

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:07
I wonder how popular it will be when people have to actually buy it?

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:11
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I found the album much more enjoyable than reviews would have led me to believe.  And I generally don't like the post-peak albums from the dinosaurs, with but a few exceptions.   I'd say this sounds more enthusiastic and more interesting than the last two Floyd albums, which always struck me as guys "going through the motions" with little spark.  Yes may sound lighter here but they sound engaged.   Sure it's not 1973 Yes, but who can expect senior citizens to rock like young guys.  Adjust your expectations if you're going to try it.  Smile

Your comments about the album have made me smile, Jim! Thanks for having a fair and level head when approaching it. I'll be posting a pretty fair and mostly positive review in the next week or so. I think most of the reviews so far are by smart-ass younger listeners who can't wait to stick the boot into the `old guard', or those under the delusion hoping that Yes, over 45 years in their career, are going to release some game-changing, reinventing proggy blowout! Never going to happen!

One thing I've learned is to pretty much ignore early reviews.  Some people just want to be be one of the first to review high profile albums and as such, I think they are closing up shop too soon.  From what I hear this is an album that will benefit with a little time....

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:13
It's $10 on CD on Amazon, which I think is well worth it, but I'm assuming it will be somewhere over $30 on vinyl?! Now that's pushing the friendship!   

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:13
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Funny you should mention it.  This is the first Yes album in a generation I'm actually looking forward to owning. 

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:22

Funny you should mention it.  This is the first Yes album in a generation I'm actually looking forward to owning. 

Did you like `Fly From Here', Jim? I found it perfectly listenable `Dad rock', with a few strong moments and just as many missed opportunities. `Fly...' definitely rocks more than this one, but the newie has lovely group vocals, upbeat poppy moments and a couple of sophisticated (and even proggy) nice surprises!

`Fly...' I spent over $30 on vinyl and was certainly underwhelmed, that's why I went the CD order for this! Heh, ordered it with a clutch of Charles Bronson blurays , so the postage feels like it came to nothing!

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:25
Michael I tried Fly a few times but never gave it a fair chance I don't think.  From what I can say i like Heaven and Earth better than Fly (or anything else they've done in recent memory). 

You like Bronson?  I have a life size cutout display of the dude pointing a .357 at you....from my days at the theater.  Still have it in the back of a closet at my folks house.  LOL   

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:28

That will make a nice change from having to subsequently buy albums that suck hugely

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:32

That will make a nice change from having to subsequently buy albums that suck hugely

I hope my instincts are right.  Believe me Iain, I've bought plenty of albums I enjoyed during my online curiosity preview stage, only to wonder why laterLOL   

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:45

Michael I tried Fly a few times but never gave it a fair chance I don't think.  From what I can say i like Heaven and Earth better than Fly (or anything else they've done in recent memory).  You like Bronson?  I have a life size cutout display of the dude pointing a .357 at you....from my days at the theater.  Still have it in the back of a closet at my folks house.  LOL    

Are you serious, Jim?! I'm booking a flight to your place right now so I may bow down in worship of this false idol!

I used to have a life-size cutout from the movie `Desperado' with Antonio Banderas, all dressed in his mariachi gear with his shotgun on his shoulder, it was one of the last great action movies of the 90's! If you dig westerns and don't mind a bit of duel-pistol mayhem, give it a try!

I adore Bronson, his western `Red Sun' is one of my absolute favourite movies! Been buying quite a lot of old 40's thru to 70's movies on Bluray recently! Just bought a limited edition bluray of `The Mechanic', and in a few weeks a film of his I've never seen - `Breakheart Pass' gets a bluray release, so I can't wait!

SOrry, folks, don't mind us Bronson freaks!

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:47
^^ I bought Love Beach cos I liked the single All I Want is You (go figure) Dead

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:59
I hear you IainLOL

MIchael, this was the film it was for.  It looks like this, but is heavy cardboard standing 6' tall.  The gun projects out right at your face.  I'm saving it for my basement bar when I retireLOL

I'm actually not a huge fan of these action movies....its just something campy that I got when I worked there and I hung onto it. 

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 18:59
Sorry for going off topic. 

Back to YES!!! 

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 19:00

^^ I bought Love Beach cos I liked the single All I Want is You (go figure)

Dead

I quite like the track too, to be honest Lemming!

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 19:03

I hear you IainLOLMIchael, this was the film it was for.  It looks like this, but is heavy cardboard standing 6' tall.  The gun projects out right at your face.  I'm saving it for my basement bar when I retireLOLI'm actually not a huge fan of these action movies....its just something campy that I got when I worked there and I hung onto it. 

Death Wish 3 - that film is actually hilariously bad, Jim, a huge guilty pleasure! That's the one with the campy wannabee-Warriors try-hard gang! "He got the GIGGLER, man....!"

Well done with the cut-out, Jim, I bet it looks amazing!

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 19:11
I am 51 years of age, have been internet savvy since the late 90's and I am confused as sh&t.......the album is only released on the 18th of July and from my understanding only a couple of tracks have been shared by the record company..................So can someone help me...do you think I have Alzheimers???Confused

Anyhow ref Finnforest/Jim......comments re Fly From Here.............I love the album, was giving it a spin again last night. Benoit David has an excellent " studio" voice. IMHO he was awful from what I heard live but his voice really worked in dub mode. a great album  for 2011 and I must confess I will gladly part with some bucks for the new release. Historically PA was much less forgiving on reviews/rating for albums not released yet but hey maybe it was already I am suffering from some kind of dementia.

All I would say to those naysayers out there, give the album a chance. We are blessed to have another release from this epic band. Embrace that first then decide.

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 20:49
*ahem*  Once again, I'd like to remind folks that I suggested Jon Davison as a suitable replacement for Benoit David back in 2011:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78495" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78495

I'm disappointed in the songs from H & E posted thus far, but I'll hold judgement until I hear the whole thing several times.   I really like Jon Davison a great deal, his work on "Perilous" by Glass Hammer remains a recent favorite of mine!  And, he plays bass nicely, so he may evolve into the future of Yes.  

However, the lyrics are quite insipid!  They should have hired a pro, like King Crimson usually does.   

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 22:26

Actually, I really really like those two last Floyd albums (specially Division Bell, which is one of my favs from them) and am really looking forward for the new album (I'm much more interested on that one than the Yes one, actually). I really love Gilmour's guitar solos on those ones. About senior's rocking like young guys... I don't know, perhaps Rush would fit the description?

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 22:28
Rush?   ahhhh....no.  Smile

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 22:33
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

I am 51 years of age, have been internet savvy since the late 90's and I am confused as sh&t.......the album is only released on the 18th of July and from my understanding only a couple of tracks have been shared by the record company..................So can someone help me...do you think I have Alzheimers???Confused
Anyhow ref Finnforest/Jim......comments re Fly From Here.............I love the album, was giving it a spin again last night. Benoit David has an excellent " studio" voice. IMHO he was awful from what I heard live but his voice really worked in dub mode. a great album  for 2011 and I must confess I will gladly part with some bucks for the new release. Historically PA was much less forgiving on reviews/rating for albums not released yet but hey maybe it was already I am suffering from some kind of dementia.
All I would say to those naysayers out there, give the album a chance. We are blessed to have another release from this epic band. Embrace that first then decide.

I did enjoy Fly from Here well enough. Even though they were more pop than prog, the 3 main songs from the suite were rather very beautiful, as well as the last song from the album. And indeed I was surprised by how beautiful Benoit's voice sounded on the album, since I had actually heard him live and felt he fell a bit short from what was needed for those songs. However, I would think that the main problem with his live singing was trying to sing like Anderson instead of singing in a comfortable voice for himself... I would have expected him to have done a much better job with songs from Fly from Here.

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 22:45
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I would have expected him to have done a much better job with songs from Fly from Here.

Dellinger, I actually thought Benoit sounded quite bland on `Fly From Here', devoid of his usual warmth and personality that shone through on his `Mystery' albums. His efforts seemed over-producted and worked on until there was almost no trace of him left. But I have to admit, I thought he was absolutely spot on on the `Live at Lyons' live album!

Poor Benoit...I'm pretty sure he's thrown in music altogether now...

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 23:08
Chris, played some Fly tonight.....not too bad! 

Michael....if I get a chance I'll try to take a pic of Chuck in the closet for youLOL

-------------

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 23:14
Awesome, Jim, about giving `Fly' a try, and also about Chuck....

But I'll have you know, Chuck Bronson is all rugged man and is in the closest for NO MAN!

Date Posted: July 12 2014 at 23:24
I hear ya man....lol

-------------

Posted By: torete
Date Posted: July 13 2014 at 01:08
maybe not his best album.but, yes always are yes! the best band of the world!!!

Date Posted: July 13 2014 at 08:29

Chris, played some Fly tonight.....not too bad! 

Michael....if I get a chance I'll try to take a pic of Chuck in the closet for youLOL

What's that you say? Charles Bronson is coming out of the closet? Who'd have guessed.

-------------

Date Posted: July 13 2014 at 13:16
Alright already in the 3rd page and nobody did answer the OP question, except Finnforest whose answer was seemingly a guess

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: July 13 2014 at 13:31
The first response was the answer. The most popular artists and album is just the number of page visits. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: July 13 2014 at 21:10

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I would have expected him to have done a much better job with songs from Fly from Here.

Dellinger, I actually thought Benoit sounded quite bland on `Fly From Here', devoid of his usual warmth and personality that shone through on his `Mystery' albums. His efforts seemed over-producted and worked on until there was almost no trace of him left. But I have to admit, I thought he was absolutely spot on on the `Live at Lyons' live album!

Poor Benoit...I'm pretty sure he's thrown in music altogether now...

Well, I haven't heard any Mistery albums, so I couldn't compare him with that. I heard him live once (actually, I could have bought a Mistery album there, but just didn't make up my mind for it), and thought he was just a bit uncomfortable with the voice range. And on Live at Lyons he sounded better than when I heard him live, but still I wouldn't find much of a reason for wanting to hear those versions instead of one with Anderson on vocals... Benoit is still missing something. I thought his singing on FfH was rather beautiful, but if it could be considered overproduced, then again, perhaps the best way we could have really heard what he was capable of giving us was if we got a recording from FfH songs live.

Date Posted: July 13 2014 at 21:19
Dellinger, I think the difference is that Benoit came in to only sing on `Fly From Here', whereas Jon D actually was there from the start and was able to contribute to the song-writing and arrangements, therefore being able to connect with the material better.

I do wish Benoit had been able to get more of a chance to make his mark in Yes, but being involved in some part of their legacy is pretty special anyway

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: July 14 2014 at 04:43
^ True, same could be said for Ray Wilson in terms of legacy

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: July 14 2014 at 06:22
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

^ True, same could be said for Ray Wilson in terms of legacy

Spot on observation, Chris! I know there are some that despise that `Calling All Stations' album. I'm not one of them, I should add...I think it's a decent AOR/prog-lite/adult pop album with strong vocals from a vocalist giving his best, and I like that it's covered in keyboards. Shame that every track ends on a fadeout though.

I think it's a little unfair that Banks and Rutherford really kind of ignore it almost altogether, as I feel Ray Wilson deserves a little better. How could anyone replace what a massive personality (both in Genesis and especially solo) Phil Collins was - impossible!

I hope both Ray and Benoit have some good memories from their time with the big boys.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 09:05
One of the things about the reception of Calling All Stations is the notable absence of crtique of the drummer. Always it's the singers y'know like a pop group!

But comparisons between the erstwhile Phil and the briefly new Nir? This is roughly where I thought the album needed some thing more - Collins was way too imaginative a drummer to have his absence, um, filled on drums and vocals as well - though I thought Ray Wilson was just fine. The We Can't Dance satire on jeans commercials followed by the satirists getting the singer of said jeans commercials was also good fun. Apparently Roger Waters didn't get the joke even when Phil explained it to him (Rog hated We can't Dance).

Still, the drummer and singer left this was it, it was like half the band left while two new guys had to make their identity felt and the band identity also take a new hold.

Seems every time there is a change the reaction is always negative - oh no, the band starts playing different tunes!

As for Yes, thought Fly was fine (except that Man He Always Wanted To Be song of Squire's I thought was so dull. It could have fitted on Squackett... in fact if you switch the fine opening of that album with Squire's song you've got a great Fly From Here and an even worse Squackett album.

Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 09:33

It's $10 on CD on Amazon, which I think is well worth it, but I'm assuming it will be somewhere over $30 on vinyl?! Now that's pushing the friendship!   

yeah i know!! gahhh, i still don't know if i should buy it! hopefully ill make a decision in due time but i need to see if they is any updates on what i should get.

-------------
Progrockdude

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk