Print Page | Close Window

Rush - Caress of Steel

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98945
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 04:39
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rush - Caress of Steel
Posted By: k3no444
Subject: Rush - Caress of Steel
Date Posted: July 14 2014 at 20:08
I think this is one of the most debated albums in all of Rush's catalog. I personally like it, granted it took me several listens to get into it. What do you guys think?

-------------
Please check out my music blog and follow me on Twitter!

http://kenoalbumreview.blogspot.com

www.twitter.com/kenoalbumreview

Replies:
Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: July 14 2014 at 20:53
Love it.  Love the first two albums also. 

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: July 14 2014 at 21:02
After buying FBN (cause the cover looked cool) in '75, I found myself wanting more By-Tor/Snowdog...Then later that year CoS came out and I was again in long song heaven. I spun those two albums back to back almost weekly...Considering I was only 11yrs old, my only thought was the music was bitchin' (I grew up in SoCal LOL!). Following the lyrics along as a kid I thought these guys were from Mars

That was of course the start of my life long fascination, love, respect for Rush.

I know there are some goofy songs on the album, but many bands had their "goofy" songs.

I think it is pretty amazing for a band that after releasing a debut album heavy with Zeppelin, The Who, Cream, Hendrix..the next two were deeply heavy with Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes and KC. I think that just set the tone for how they were going to approach their music going forward, not knowing it would still be going strong after 40yrs.

I like the album..

-------------

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: July 14 2014 at 21:04
I think Side 1 of FBN is right up there with the best "Sides" they ever did.  Monster arsekick.

-------------

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: July 14 2014 at 23:17
Well what's not to like about a classic Rush album? Yes it's not their best and it's uneven, some of it is ok but enjoyable, the side long track has no logic whatsoever and is patchy as hell but still fun to listen to. But then you got The Necromancer, now that is a killer song!
So overall of course I like it but far from their best stuff.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: July 15 2014 at 00:08
I like a lot more than i used to. It was one that took more listens to get into than usual although it's still not the Rush album i put on first. Love the longer epic tracks

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: July 15 2014 at 06:31
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Well what's not to like about a classic Rush album? Yes it's not their best and it's uneven, some of it is ok but enjoyable, the side long track has no logic whatsoever and is patchy as hell but still fun to listen to. But then you got The Necromancer, now that is a killer song!
So overall of course I like it but far from their best stuff.
Well apart from the fact that I can't take The Necromancer seriously (it's the silly voice) and "I think I'm going bald" is fairly inconsequential (and a bit close to home, lyrically speaking) I love the rest of the album. Bastille Day and Lakeside Park are great and I love side 2.

Posted By: LSDisease
Date Posted: July 15 2014 at 08:38
Great album, their first truly progressive record. The Fountain of Lamneth is my top ten Rush song. 

-------------
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: July 15 2014 at 09:16
ahhh, one of my top 5 favorites Rush albums for sure; love all the songs from the album, some more than others, however.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: July 15 2014 at 09:21
I probably don't love it as much as I did when I was a kid, but I still enjoy it tremendously.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: July 15 2014 at 09:59
Love Caress. Love it, love it, love it. Love it more than 2112 actually. 

I think it was the second Rush album I bought. (Moving Pictures was first) I immediately liked the first three songs. It took a little longer to get into the rest of the album. The "rest of the album" is now my favorite. 

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: July 15 2014 at 11:37
"The Necromancer"..."The Fountain of Lamneth"..."Bastille Day"..."Lakeside Park"...the first "great" Rush album!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: rushaholic
Date Posted: July 15 2014 at 12:56
love the album - beginning of great things to come

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: July 15 2014 at 13:04
I love it.

Also, am I the only one who loves "I Think I'm Going Bald"?

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: July 15 2014 at 13:37
Originally posted by rushaholic rushaholic wrote:

love the album - beginning of great things to come

Yes, the beginning of the band experimenting with enhancing substances, how could it be bad...

-------------
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: July 15 2014 at 14:48
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

I love it. Also, am I the only one who loves "I Think I'm Going Bald"?

Yes

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: July 15 2014 at 14:53
COS. Meh, ok....... ........Now it's Fantastic!

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: July 15 2014 at 17:11
Not one of my faves - the production strikes me as kinda flat - but it has some great moments.

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: July 15 2014 at 20:45
Great album. Not a masterpiece but still great.

-------------

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: July 16 2014 at 00:56
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

After buying FBN (cause the cover looked cool) in '75, I found myself wanting more By-Tor/Snowdog...Then later that year CoS came out and I was again in long song heaven. I spun those two albums back to back almost weekly...Considering I was only 11yrs old, my only thought was the music was bitchin' (I grew up in SoCal LOL!). Following the lyrics along as a kid I thought these guys were from Mars

That was of course the start of my life long fascination, love, respect for Rush.

I know there are some goofy songs on the album, but many bands had their "goofy" songs.

I think it is pretty amazing for a band that after releasing a debut album heavy with Zeppelin, The Who, Cream, Hendrix..the next two were deeply heavy with Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes and KC. I think that just set the tone for how they were going to approach their music going forward, not knowing it would still be going strong after 40yrs.

I like the album..

LOL

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: July 17 2014 at 13:46

I love it.

No you're not!  Count me in.

I think of CoS as Rush's "coming of age" album.  2112 was their big step into maturity, although the band didn't mature completely, as they themselves have acknowledged, until the Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures era.  To continue the lifespan metaphor, the whole album, both musically and lyrically, is the work of a band in the metaphorical late high school stage of their lives, kind of like a smart kid who is doing smart things as he grows into adulthood but is still kind of a mess.  The entire album is caught between the past and the future, filled with the angst of leaving home and entering adulthood, with excitement and fear, drive and nostalgia, rebel spirit and cries for help in conflict throughout the entire album.

CoS is a quality album, somewhat immature but with flashes of brilliance.  But its appeal is less in its aesthetics and more in its authenticity.

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 17 2014 at 14:00
COS is in my top five Rush albums. It's flawed but has a very special and mysterious feel to it. Fountain of Lamneth is certainly one of fave prog epics.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: waluigithewalrus
Date Posted: July 17 2014 at 16:09
I wound up picking up COS at my local record store after thinking it would probably be the last Rush album I would pick up only about an hour earlier. I don't regret it. It's one of my favorites, and I love every track, excepting I Think I'm Going Bald, but that's only liked by the two guys who commented in the thread about it Tongue

At this point, Fountain of Lamneth is one of my favorite Rush songs. 

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: July 17 2014 at 18:28

I love it.

nope! i think its great too!!

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 11:52
Good one.

-------------

Posted By: uvtraveler
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 13:16
Well it's tough to choose between Rush's "I Think I'm Going Bald" and Kiss's  (I Think I'm) "Goin' Blind".....but  seriously

This topic is nice segue from my "guitar-centered" prog topic.  It was this very album, as in "The Fountain of Lamneth" specifically...that encouraged me to focus on writing and playing prog rock with a guitar-centered band as a kid. As you can imagine, the number of teenage rock keyboardists in early 1980s NYC was not exactly huge.  Also, prog rock was dying a rough death.    BUT  we still had Rush!  and maybe a little Triumph....

Great album....and I agree with an earlier post that the voice in the Necromancer is a little silly, but the chord progression and rhythmic motif with it in the The Fountain make up for any sins in my mind.

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 16:20
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Love it.  Love the first two albums also. 

Same - actually prefer all of those to "Moving Pictures"...

Posted By: Stereolab
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 17:09
Listening to it now. Definitely a very good album, but not in the top half of Rush's pre-90s output. The stupid Necromancer voice gets on my nerves also... if you're going to do over-the-top narration, do it 100% of the way, like in an Ayreon album!

On a side note, I must admit to being shocked at the hate shown toward FBN in the Prog Archives reviews... seriously? Against an album containing the immortal "Anthem", plus "By-Tor", "Rivendell", and of course "Fly By Night"? Heck, if it just had "Anthem" and Geddy Lee reading the phone book for the next 75 minutes, I'd still give it five stars, but that's just me I suppose.

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 17:36
I discovered Rush with A Farewell To Kings but that was around 1981, they were not really well known in Europe back then and even less in my native Spain. I was totally sold, then I bought Hemispheres and thought these guys were unbelievable, I made a lot of publicity to my friends and we all got hooked to this band no-one else knew about. I already loved Prog but it was a period when I also embraced hard rock and metal much more than now, I loved early Queen, Purple, Zeppelin, Whitesnake, Rainbow... and even AC/DC Embarrassed
Then I bought CoS and it felt much rougher than A Farewell or Hemispheres, but since I was into hard rock and metal I loved it, all of it, even Going Bald. I was also learning guitar playing and Lifeson did hard-rock-prog in quite a different way than all the other well-known guitarists. Production was not too good but I didn't look much at those things back then, I guess my stereo was not that faithful either.
Nowadays I don't listen much to it but it will always hold a special place in my heart.
I like Fly By Night and quite less the debut, but CoS was indeed the album where they started to show what they were going to be able to do, when listened in retrospect it's the turning point. Funny that apparently it got a rather bad reception at the time of its release, but thank god that they knew what they wanted and reacted by delivering something like 2112 instead of bending to the wishes of the business.

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 21:15
I love this album. Some of it is just ok but the great stuff really kicks butt. It's funny that RUSH calls the tour for this album the "down the tubes tour" and critics and the album sales reflect that but I think in retrospect we have to give it props. If it wasn't for this album there would be no 2112. "The Necromancer" is one of the most intense things they have ever done.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk