Print Page | Close Window

Genesis just hit me

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=98988
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 23:01
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Genesis just hit me
Posted By: N-sz
Subject: Genesis just hit me
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 10:45
For a while I would say "Oh yeah, Genesis is cool. Good band." For whatever reason, I played Selling England and they blew my mind, in love. Crazy musicianship. They're absolutely tight but each member has lots of independence. I guess this is just another way of thanking Prog Archives for its existence.

-------------
https://blankspacerecords.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Blank Space Records

Replies:
Posted By: The T
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 10:52
You should sue them. 

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 10:56
T, glad to see you had adapted to the U.S.' s litigation happy society. Wink

-------------

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 11:17
..... THE No 1 Symphonic Prog Release of all time - though plenty of people units on this site ARE GOING TO ARGUE THE TOSS.....

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 11:22
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

You should sue them. 

Damn. Beat me to it.

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 11:33
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

T, glad to see you had adapted to the U.S.' s litigation happy society. Wink
Adapt or perish Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 11:35

You should sue them. 

Another delayed reaction, but that joke hit me too, so I sue you Tongue

-------------

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 11:36
They always seemed such  a nice bunch of 'public school boys' to me.  Ah hang on, that thug Phil Collins was pretty common, it must have been him.  The hooligan! 

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 11:40
He's a lefty, too, so his swings are harder to dodge.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 11:43
Now, Mars Volta until the same feeling hits you. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 12:06
Originally posted by N-sz N-sz wrote:

For a while I would say "Oh yeah, Genesis is cool. Good band." For whatever reason, I played Selling England and they blew my mind, in love. Crazy musicianship. They're absolutely tight but each member has lots of independence. I guess this is just another way of thanking Prog Archives for its existence.
I had kind of the same experience with them. After hearing SEBTP, I was: "Alright. That sounds really good." But after Nursery Cryme, which also took me several listens to get, I was: "This is the s$%t!" I guess that's why I prefer it over Selling England - ample amounts of aggression on "Musical Box" and "Hogweed" ... among a few other reasons.

Posted By: calm_sea
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 13:03
Ah yes, it really is a wonderful feeling when Genesis really "clicks" with you.  I wish I could feel that rush again.  I'd been listening to Genesis for a couple of years, but they weren't yet my favorite band.  One day I was listening to "The Musical Box" and I got that rush we music fans are always chasing when discovering new music, that "Holy s***, I really love this band." rush.  There is nothing better.  Go now, and consume all of the Genesis that you can.  We'll be here when you need us.

Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 15:44
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by N-sz N-sz wrote:

I had kind of the same experience with them. After hearing SEBTP, I was: "Alright. That sounds really good." But after Nursery Cryme, which also took me several listens to get, I was: "This is the s$%t!" I guess that's why I prefer it over Selling England - ample amounts of aggression on "Musical Box" and "Hogweed" ... among a few other reasons. 

It was Hogweed that convinced me to keep trying with them. Nursery Cryme is super outlandish and I love it. After this I'd have to say I just switched, with SEBTP as my favorite and the guitar in Firth of Fifth and After the Ordeal hold a special place in my heart ApproveHeart

Originally posted by calm_sea calm_sea wrote:

Ah yes, it really is a wonderful feeling when Genesis really "clicks" with you.  I wish I could feel that rush again.  I'd been listening to Genesis for a couple of years, but they weren't yet my favorite band.  One day I was listening to "The Musical Box" and I got that rush we music fans are always chasing when discovering new music, that "Holy s***, I really love this band." rush.  There is nothing better.  Go now, and consume all of the Genesis that you can.  We'll be here when you need us.

Their sound is so rich and unlike anything else that looking back it's hard to believe I didn't immediately freak out the first time I heard them, but it's a perfect example, at least for me, of how easy it is to overlook brilliance. I agree, it's the best feeling; I couldn't get the music out of my head if I wanted to.

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 19:52

You should sue them. 

Dammit you beat me to it. heheheheheh

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: ebil0505
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 19:59
You should sue- nevermind

-------------
"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 20:14
^Everybody's making fun of meeeee! LOL

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 20:25
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

..... THE No 1 Symphonic Prog Release of all time - though plenty of people units on this site ARE GOING TO ARGUE THE TOSS.....

their argument would be incorrect.....

-------------

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 20:33
Genesis? Never heard of them....

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 22:14
Welcome to the magical world of Genesis! Isn't it a wonderful feeling when this band 'clicks' with you? Genesis are my absolute favorite band of all-time. From Trespass up to Wind & Wuthering is, for me, some of the greatest rock music ever recorded. There's just something incredible when Gabriel, Banks, Hackett, Rutherford, and Collins create music. I would highly suggest trying Foxtrot or Nursery Cryme next. I don't think you're 'ready' yet for The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, but don't ignore this masterpiece. It's simply amazing from start to finish. A lot of people prefer disc one to disc two, but I love them both equally. Happy listening! Cool

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: AreYouHuman
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 22:16
Did it feel like a kiss?

-------------
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 23:03
When I was a teen Genesis were one of the bands to get me excited about prog. My big three were probably YES, GENESIS and King Crimson. These were the bands I was most excited about at that time. To a lesser extent I liked the Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, RUSH, ELP and Jethro Tull. By the time I was into prog I had almost completely forgotten about Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones and the Beatles and didn't consider them prog at all. As for Genesis I first got into their popular stuff then worked my way back and was of course more impressed with the older stuff as I didn't consider much of the later stuff to be prog.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 23:09
Nice to hear about your experience with SEBTP.  I can sort of relate to it and in a way I can't too.  SEBTP, specifically Firth of the fifth, was what got me into prog bigtime so I never had to stint on them, waiting for them to 'click'.  But the experience as such was as exciting as how you described it.  Maybe a little more, because I didn't know what to expect more and was totally blown away.  I don't even like Firth, barring the guitar solo, as much as I used to at that time.  Although it's a great album, it's not my favourite Genesis album anymore.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 19 2014 at 03:01
Nice band but a little overrated

Date Posted: July 19 2014 at 09:39
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Complete BS IMHO. How are they overrated? I think they deserve all the accolades that can be given to them.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: July 19 2014 at 16:40

My toss is bigger than your tossEvil Smile

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 19 2014 at 16:48

qft

-------------

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: July 19 2014 at 18:02
^ False!

Their pop period? Sure! Their prog period? Well, in prog circles they get the appreciation they deserve, but from the outside-of-prog press and media, and the general public, surely not?

-------------

Date Posted: July 19 2014 at 20:35
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

qft

Another BS post. Again, I'll ask: how are Genesis overrated? Tell me how this band has saturated the market and everyone and their brother is going out and buying their albums. Tell me how. If you can't, then just put a sock in it.

-------------

Date Posted: July 19 2014 at 20:40
I'm not sure how having everyone going out to buy their albums at the moment relates to how overrated a band is in prog circles. Though i'm sure during their pop period the situation you described happened to an extent.

Don't get so defensive when someone makes a remark that disagrees with your opinion in the smallest way. He didn't even come off in a troll way or in a barbed manner. It's okay to care about a band deeply or even defend against a statement (disagreeing thoughts does happen!), but if youre going to erupt into flames the second it happens, i suggest you not read threads discussing that particular band. 

-------------

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: July 19 2014 at 20:46
Never heard of this Genesis that everyone here is talking about Tongue

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Date Posted: July 19 2014 at 20:57
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I'm not sure how having everyone going out to buy their albums at the moment relates to how overrated a band is in prog circles. Though i'm sure during their pop period the situation you described happened to an extent.

Don't get so defensive when someone makes a remark that disagrees with your opinion in the smallest way. He didn't even come off in a troll way or in a barbed manner. It's okay to care about a band deeply or even defend against a statement (disagreeing thoughts does happen!), but if your going to erupt into flames the second it happens, i suggest you not read threads discussing that particular band. 

I understand, but, at the same time, all I did was ask a simple question and I still haven't received a reply yet, which isn't surprising. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: July 19 2014 at 21:03
Well i responded to your second part Tongue

-------------

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: July 19 2014 at 23:52
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Don't get so defensive when someone makes a remark that disagrees with your opinion in the smallest way. He didn't even come off in a troll way or in a barbed manner. It's okay to care about a band deeply or even defend against a statement (disagreeing thoughts does happen!), but if your going to erupt into flames the second it happens, i suggest you not read threads discussing that particular band. 

I understand, but, at the same time, all I did was ask a simple question and I still haven't received a reply yet, which isn't surprising. Smile

Indeed it shouldn't surprise you because if you jump to call something BS without waiting for the other side to attempt to clarify, nobody should indeed bother responding.  You think it's BS,big deal!  Genesis is not your personal possession, you know.

Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 02:02

Complete BS IMHO. How are they overrated? I think they deserve all the accolades that can be given to them.

Chill out!

No band is untouchable. However I was going for a tad ironic comment. People shouldn't get upset over opinions. Genesis make very listenable music and occasionally hit some massive heights but not everything they did was brilliant. I'm not just talking about the pop years but even during their most vaunted period I feel they lacked consistency and I struggle to share the same unquestioning love for SEBTP and LLDOB that presumably you and others have. ATOTT is perhaps the one exception for me. That is a beautiful album but then just about every band has at least one beautiful album in them.Wink

Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 02:05
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Indeed it shouldn't surprise you because if you jump to call something BS without waiting for the other side to attempt to clarify, nobody should indeed bother responding.  You think it's BS,big deal!  Genesis is not your personal possession, you know.

Yep agreed.I would also add that I generally look at the forum once a day so I'm not going to respond immediately to every question thrown at me.

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 02:18
Selling England By The Pound-Greatest symphonic prog album of alltime..

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 15:57

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

qft

Another BS post. Again, I'll ask: how are Genesis overrated? Tell me how this band has saturated the market and everyone and their brother is going out and buying their albums. Tell me how. If you can't, then just put a sock in it.

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 16:27
I would think using the word overrated for a band most people here love is a bit trollish. It's been discussed before, though I think I've not seen the argument for a while now. If he had said he didn't like Genesis as much as most people here, surely he wouldn't have received such harch responses. However, sayin they are overrated implies that everyone who love the band are wrong, which is a very pretentious thing to do.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 17:24
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

When I was a teen Genesis were one of the bands to get me excited about prog. My big three were probably YES, GENESIS and King Crimson. These were the bands I was most excited about at that time. To a lesser extent I liked the Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, RUSH, ELP and Jethro Tull. By the time I was into prog I had almost completely forgotten about Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones and the Beatles and didn't consider them prog at all. As for Genesis I first got into their popular stuff then worked my way back and was of course more impressed with the older stuff as I didn't consider much of the later stuff to be prog.

I was a big radio listener when And Then There Were Three and the hit Follow You Follow Me came out and I still have a soft spot for that.  My brother had a combo album that was Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot that that the label - The Best Of Genesis.  That one more than anything turned me into a huge prog rock fan.  I was already a big fan of and had Wakeman's Journey and King Arthur.  I was already a Beatles fan and that didn't change.  Didn't really get into Led until about 10 years ago.  I remember The Who for the instrumental Tommy theme but am still not a particular fan.  Can definitely leave and not take the Rolling Stones.  If I wind up with one of their albums in my collection it will be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Their_Satanic_Majesties_Request" rel="nofollow - Their Satanic Majesties Request...

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 17:43
One of my daughters got me a Genesis t-shirt for my birthday which was a pleasant surprise. She's 20 and mostly into screaming music.LOL But, the other day she asked if she could borrow a Rush cdShocked. I lent her Moving Pictures. I knew she'd come around eventually like my oldest daughter who is into Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Oceansize, Radiohead, Tool and so on, so yeah mostly modern Prog bands not the classics.
Oh, and last night my son's friend told me "Nice t-shirt Johnny!" as they were all walking out the door. I'm curious to see if he really is into Genesis the next time I talk to him.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 19:44
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

You should sue them. 

Damn. Beat me to it.

Captain, your response is both unnecessary and illogical.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 19:52
Let's see (just for the fun of it) how long it will take for it to hit Rednight.

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 23:47

Let's see (just for the fun of it) how long it will take for it to hit Rednight.
It took me several days (hit me just now), so...

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Sinful
Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 00:21
I would say of all the popular progressive rock, Genesis tops the list of hardest to enjoy their finest non-radio hits.That is it takes longer , but then it never loses the magic, in fact it stays with you as no other band quite ever can, in my opinion.

It also makes tons of difference after you see them play something like Supper's ready live,  there is an essence to that song that can never be fully understood until you see them play it live. 

Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 01:49
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I would think using the word overrated for a band most people here love is a bit trollish. It's been discussed before, though I think I've not seen the argument for a while now. If he had said he didn't like Genesis as much as most people here, surely he wouldn't have received such harch responses. However, sayin they are overrated implies that everyone who love the band are wrong, which is a very pretentious thing to do.

its a while since I was accused of 'trolling'. I well remember calling Roine Stolt a 'fraud' some time ago and that was probably a trollish comment. Suggesting some band is overrated is relatively tame by comparison. This reverence to Genesis can get quite annoying at times. Yes I do think some of their albums are overrated but in fact I reckon most of the classic prog of the early seventies is overrated and none of it ( yes NONE!!) is perfect. It was a great time for innovation and ideas and I of course love many of the groups otherwise I wouldn't be here would I? Oh well all hail Banks , Rutherford , Collins , Gabriel and Hackett Sleepy

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 11:11

If that's your idea of fun, fella, well...

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 12:19
The first Genesis album I heard was Foxtrot and it blew me away, mostly side B (side A would as well in time, but it took longer), then the next was Selling England and oh my god, just that vocal intro to Dancing With The Moonlight Knight... this was heaven, this could not be real... then after the great Dancing and the rather insipid I Know What I Like Firth, wtf?? and Battle Of Epping Forest, After The Ordeal, Cinema Show... ??? whow, this was an album as good or better as anything I had heard at the time. 35 years later I still think the same Tongue

Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 13:05
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

My toss is bigger than your tossEvil Smile

So we're both t**sers...Is that news to anybody who reads our posts?

I can live with people not sharing my love for early seventies symphonic prog....I myself struggle with some stuff that other people find sublime...Gentle Giant for instance......and KK and VDGG...but that's probably the Avant Garde seventies stuff....

-------------

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 18:53

Welcome to the magical world of Genesis! Isn't it a wonderful feeling when this band 'clicks' with you? Genesis are my absolute favorite band of all-time. From Trespass up to Wind & Wuthering is, for me, some of the greatest rock music ever recorded. There's just something incredible when Gabriel, Banks, Hackett, Rutherford, and Collins create music. I would highly suggest trying Foxtrot or Nursery Cryme next. I don't think you're 'ready' yet for The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, but don't ignore this masterpiece. It's simply amazing from start to finish. A lot of people prefer disc one to disc two, but I love them both equally. Happy listening! Cool

Do you have a "mirror image" into my mind?  You have said absolutely everything I feel about Genesis as well...

Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 19:42
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

Do you have a "mirror image" into my mind?  You have said absolutely everything I feel about Genesis as well...

Good to meet another Genesis fan.

-------------

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 20:12

Now, Mars Volta until the same feeling hits you. 

Listening to the Bedlam in Goliath right now and it's hitting me. Whoa!

Date Posted: July 22 2014 at 00:21

Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

Good to meet another Genesis fan.

I was just thinking the same thing, and how I would love to be back at that time again.

I first came upon Genesis when I was in a record club in the late 70s, and the record clubs would send the record of the month if you did not send the card back in time, their way of getting you to buy more. And I sent most of those back asap, except for one called  And then there were Three. When I first listened to it, I was intrigued,but did not quite grasp it yet, but I kept it, I wonder now what I really felt then the first time hearing it. All I remember was it was enough to keep it. It was a few years later that I heard Seconds Out , Dance on a Volcano/Drum duet/Los Endos, that definitely hit square in the erogenous zone, and It was being played that day because they were playing in Chicago on the Abacab tour, so I jumped in and bought tickets. I remember meeting a roadie outside the arena the day of the show and asking him if they were very good live.DOH! We sat way back in the balcony, but we were completely floored.

The next tour was the Three Sides Live tour and I was all over that and scored 5th row seats at Poplar creek outdoor music theatre, That was the most incredible, fabulous show ever! Started with Dance  on a volcano , peaked with Suppers Ready, and ended with .Watcher of the skies. 

So In a way I feel sorry for someone who is just finding them because of the lack of tours, but I also envy you, Enjoy the magic of Genesis.

-------------
The Path is clear

Date Posted: July 22 2014 at 16:41

The pop version or prog version of the band? Let's not forget that their output can be split into at least two groups with one being predominantly prog and the other predominantly pop. I actually like much of the pop output but realize they were in a sense two different bands. That said there was a transitional period from about 78-82 where they played music that sort of straddled the line between both genres. After that it was predominantly pop imo.

Date Posted: July 23 2014 at 00:58
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

The pop version or prog version of the band? Let's not forget that their output can be split into at least two groups with one being predominantly prog and the other predominantly pop. I actually like much of the pop output but realize they were in a sense two different bands. That said there was a transitional period from about 78-82 where they played music that sort of straddled the line between both genres. After that it was predominantly pop imo.

Gabriel Years
1975-1980
Beyond

IMHO

its the the middle bit that I like that best. The last bit is certainly not overrated by most people.WinkWink

(note the 2 winky emoticons- I can put more if neededLOLWinkWinkWink)

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: July 23 2014 at 09:26
Genesis it me with Seconds Out. After that, they just started to run away. Slowly at first before picking up speed. Cowards. LOL

Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 10:19
The problem with the Seventies Prog super-bands is that they were influenced by a lot of main-stream pop of the sixties - compare that with the prog bands of today who are influenced by seventies prog....The only way to out-do the seventies is to become far more OTT and self indulgent.....look at Flower Kings - with a helluva lot of tracks longer than Suppers ready and the ambitious - 79 minutes of the Whirlwind...I'm not sure that Banks/Rutherford and Collins are/were as into the more bombastic music and tried to morph into an eighties Beatles outfit with motown influences.....Mind you their bank-balance was boosted somewhat - so that's possibly more of the reason - Banks's dad was a merchant banker - so eventually making money becomes the motivating factor - and only crappy pop music can fulfil that criteria!

-------------

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 10:56
^ Assuming you were stone cold sober when you typed same, what possible mitigating factors can you cite that would assuage the spurious bollocks that appears to have informed your appraisal of the subsequent development of Prog from say, 1979 onwards? Tony Banks father clearly did not monopolise the propogation of 'merchant bankers'

-------------

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 11:13

The problem with the Seventies Prog super-bands is that they were influenced by a lot of main-stream pop of the sixties
Confused  yeah I hear a lot of The Mamas and the Papas, The Ronettes, Ike and Tina Turner in Foxtrot and Fragile...
OK if you mean a bit of the late 60's Beatles, Rare Earth, The Moody Blues or Cream, well, of course everybody gets influences from what precedes him, but the Prog 70's super-bands created a new genre, their influences were not the main ingredient.

Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 14:43
taken quite out of context as usual....Sigh...
Despite the fact that Genesis were exposed to the classical music when at their public school - I reckon that they (as teenagers) were far more interested in the disallowed - pop music they were exposed to in the mid sixties - and that would have been The Beatles and the Rolling Stones....Animals (all main-stream pop in the mid sixties) - Fortunately for us all - They chose to strike out in a singularly new way (1970-75) - producing some of the best Symphonic Prog that has ever been recorded - it was carried forwards a bit after Gabriel left (1976-77) and then Hackett did one and Collins got his way with Banks/Rutherford very much on his side and produced a pop-oriented album...followed by more and more commercially viable output.....
The fact is that they still could have produced the calibre of Selling England again - but never chose to...in fact once a bit minted - they could have produced whatever they chose....and still they churned out garbage...A Geezer I worked with in East Anglia Bumped into Rutherford on a shoot somewhere in Norfolk who told him that he preferred the later stuff and was somewhat embarrassed by their earlier output...That disappoints me but does not surprise me...

-------------

Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 14:45
Anyway a quick one what is the significance of the date 18/09/2012 ??

-------------

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 19:16
^ was it the day you were released back into the community?Wink I never made the connection between early Genesis and classical music because it's at best negligible. When anyone strips most of the blues and jazz ingredients out of Rock they invariably earn the epithet of 'classically influenced' which is plain silly really. Someone posted on the forum recently (Dean from memory) that the so-called Symphonic Prog bands simply made rock music sound orchestral by dint of texture, instrumentation and size/scope etc as none of them wrote any music that displayed the the sorts of formal academic rigour found in symphonic orchestrated composition. (perhaps ELP and the Enid were exceptions)

-------------

Date Posted: July 28 2014 at 10:38
Well I think that the start of Watcher of the skies is VERY influenced by J.S Bach Organ works....and Banks, Rutherford, Phillips and Gabriel were all very much exposed to classical Choral works at Charterhouse on an everyday basis I would imagine. And their music teachers would all have been classically trained as well.....and I am assuming that Banks, Gabriel, Rutherford and Phillips could also read and write music...Makes them sort of classically influenced eh? Not a negligible input on their output....Take the intro of Salmacis...very symphonic and a lot of their instrumental breaks owe more than a nod to soft woodwind melodies.....To say that Genesis 1970-75 wasn't influenced at all (or negligibly) by Classical music is preposterous!
Oh, and I shall completely ignore the childish insinuation that I have mental health problem...I'm as sane as any average hominid.....

-------------

Posted By: AEJOTZ
Date Posted: July 31 2014 at 09:57
Sometime in the early to mid 70s a show on PBS played a clip of some guy in a flower suit prancing around a stage to some very silly music. I thought it was funny but it sure wasn't life-changing.

Then one day in the summer of 1976 I was listening to the local FM rock station when a tune started off with a piano going at "flight of the bumblebee" speed. This was followed with an orchestral-sounding multi-layered crescendo wave and the impossibly beautifully harmonized words, "and the lamb... lies down... on Broadway." My mouth literally dropped open and stayed that way for much of the song. I called the radio station and found out who the band was then drove to two or three record stores until I found the LP.

I tried very hard to play the grooves off the album for the next week or two and then went in search of more Genesis music. I knew fully well that I could not have the top of my head removed by them again but surely there was something else worth listening to.

What I found was the double LP repackaging of Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot called "Genesis, the Best." As fate would have it, the first tune I played started with Tony again, only this time playing an organ from Mars. The top of my head came off again as I heard my favorite song of all time for the very first time: "Watcher of the Skies." Well, at least my head would stay on for the rest of the album... and it pretty much did (I had to use both hands to keep it on during the climax of "Can Utility...") but there was nothing on earth could keep me together when Pete wailed with a full-throated, Daltry-like but heartbreakingly plaintive "new Jerusalem..." I think I sobbed. I had to take a break before having my head removed by "Salmacis" all over again.

What distinguished Genesis from the other prog bands? Theatricality! And you didn't need the costumes. It was heavy drama and broad comedy and romance and yearning. One of my many wives described them as "majestic."

I first saw them live in 1977. I remember feeling disbelief. I didn't think they were mere humans. They played the tunes even stronger and better than the recorded versions. Was that possible? Weren't bands supposed to sound like crap live? And what was the deal with that hairy dwarf who alternately sang the roof off and disappeared behind a huge wall of drums? The drums sounded better than fine when Chester was playing, but when Phil started playing something indefinable and magical was added. WTF?

Genesis gave me a very big problem. They made other bands seem amateurish, unimaginative and weak.

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 17:05
Originally posted by AEJOTZ AEJOTZ wrote:

Sometime in the early to mid 70s a show on PBS played a clip of some guy in a flower suit prancing around a stage to some very silly music. I thought it was funny but it sure wasn't life-changing.

Then one day in the summer of 1976 I was listening to the local FM rock station when a tune started off with a piano going at "flight of the bumblebee" speed. This was followed with an orchestral-sounding multi-layered crescendo wave and the impossibly beautifully harmonized words, "and the lamb... lies down... on Broadway." My mouth literally dropped open and stayed that way for much of the song. I called the radio station and found out who the band was then drove to two or three record stores until I found the LP.

I tried very hard to play the grooves off the album for the next week or two and then went in search of more Genesis music. I knew fully well that I could not have the top of my head removed by them again but surely there was something else worth listening to.

What I found was the double LP repackaging of Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot called "Genesis, the Best." As fate would have it, the first tune I played started with Tony again, only this time playing an organ from Mars. The top of my head came off again as I heard my favorite song of all time for the very first time: "Watcher of the Skies." Well, at least my head would stay on for the rest of the album... and it pretty much did (I had to use both hands to keep it on during the climax of "Can Utility...") but there was nothing on earth could keep me together when Pete wailed with a full-throated, Daltry-like but heartbreakingly plaintive "new Jerusalem..." I think I sobbed. I had to take a break before having my head removed by "Salmacis" all over again.

What distinguished Genesis from the other prog bands? Theatricality! And you didn't need the costumes. It was heavy drama and broad comedy and romance and yearning. One of my many wives described them as "majestic."

I first saw them live in 1977. I remember feeling disbelief. I didn't think they were mere humans. They played the tunes even stronger and better than the recorded versions. Was that possible? Weren't bands supposed to sound like crap live? And what was the deal with that hairy dwarf who alternately sang the roof off and disappeared behind a huge wall of drums? The drums sounded better than fine when Chester was playing, but when Phil started playing something indefinable and magical was added. WTF?

Genesis gave me a very big problem. They made other bands seem amateurish, unimaginative and weak.

My feelings exactlyClap

-------------
The Path is clear

Posted By: AcademyNYC
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 23:32
I recently acquired a copy of what is probably the rarest Genesis vinyl item of all, the London pressing of the Winter's Tale 45. As many of you know, this was originally released on UK Decca, but it seems that a few promo copies were pressed on London for export to the US. Even stranger is this version was pretty much unknown until a lone copy was rediscovered some 40+ years later in 2009. It has apparently never been offered for sale.

Pic here, I can't get the embed feature to work:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3912/15172656086_7907c5b42b_z_d.jpg

I'm a newbie and not sure how vinyl-centric this site is, but I thought it might be of interest.

Posted By: aliano
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 01:18
Isn't it strange that I like many of the Gabriel and Hackett solo stuff but I can't get into Genesis in general except the Wind & Wuthering album? Ermm

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 04:23
Originally posted by aliano aliano wrote:

Isn't it strange that I like many of the Gabriel and Hackett solo stuff but I can't get into Genesis in general except the Wind & Wuthering album? Ermm

As far as I'm concerned listener's tastes are as subjective as composer's tastes, so I see no reason for your question. Regarding Hackett's compositions I don't see any beloved guitarrists in PA Forum (as Zappa, Fripp etc.) to be ANY close to him in terms of compositions, obviously I'm disregarding playing tecnhiques as I never ever touched a damn guitar in my whole life in order to have any wonderings about it.

To be honest I find these discussions about playing skills rather boring sometimes, one of these days I was just wondering if there were better pianists than Beethoven for example, but man I've not found yet a greater composer!, well Ludwig Van Beethoven IS my favourite composer.

P.S.: I think that leaving Genesis was the BEST decision Steve Hackett took in his brilliant career!! I can't say anything about Gabriel solo works as I don't know them.

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 04:37
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ was it the day you were released back into the community?Wink I never made the connection between early Genesis and classical music because it's at best negligible. When anyone strips most of the blues and jazz ingredients out of Rock they invariably earn the epithet of 'classically influenced' which is plain silly really. Someone posted on the forum recently (Dean from memory) that the so-called Symphonic Prog bands simply made rock music sound orchestral by dint of texture, instrumentation and size/scope etc as none of them wrote any music that displayed the the sorts of formal academic rigour found in symphonic orchestrated composition. (perhaps ELP and the Enid were exceptions)

DAMN right... To be classical influenced Genesis would have to have changed almost everything in their music! Btw I'm fortunately happening to know some Enid's music and this was INDEED a classical influenced band, well I've felt some compositions of them more kind of a classical genre in fact. I'd like to make honorable mention to The Nice too, I've just listened to some music of them for the first time and found similarities with ELP in their style.

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 06:05
There's a Genesis documentary on BBC2 TV tonight. I'll have to miss it unfortunately but I wonder if anything new will be revealed.

Posted By: Zenbadger
Date Posted: October 05 2014 at 09:37
The biggest Genesis myth is that they declined after Gabriel left. What they achieved with Collins at the helm is quite extraordinary. Still managing to produce 3 blinding prog albums to boot!

Date Posted: October 05 2014 at 22:43
Originally posted by Zenbadger Zenbadger wrote:

The biggest Genesis myth is that they declined after Gabriel left. What they achieved with Collins at the helm is quite extraordinary. Still managing to produce 3 blinding prog albums to boot!

I assume you are including Seconds Out as one of the three?

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 06 2014 at 06:43
Originally posted by AcademyNYC AcademyNYC wrote:

I recently acquired a copy of what is probably the rarest Genesis vinyl item of all, the London pressing of the Winter's Tale 45. As many of you know, this was originally released on UK Decca, but it seems that a few promo copies were pressed on London for export to the US. Even stranger is this version was pretty much unknown until a lone copy was rediscovered some 40+ years later in 2009. It has apparently never been offered for sale.

Pic here, I can't get the embed feature to work:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3912/15172656086_7907c5b42b_z_d.jpg

I'm a newbie and not sure how vinyl-centric this site is, but I thought it might be of interest.
Insert Image. Paste the URL.

Posted By: mongofa
Date Posted: October 07 2014 at 13:23
Genesis P-Orridge 

-------------

Posted By: AreYouHuman
Date Posted: October 07 2014 at 22:20
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

Did it feel like a kiss?

Okay, nobody asked, but here's the inspiration for that post anyway:

-------------
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: October 08 2014 at 00:49
Very progressive, these Crystals...

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 08 2014 at 09:11
Originally posted by Kirillov Kirillov wrote:

There's a Genesis documentary on BBC2 TV tonight. I'll have to miss it unfortunately but I wonder if anything new will be revealed.
See this thread
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99910&PN=1" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99910&PN=1

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk