Print Page | Close Window

Why is there no ignore function on this site?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements
Forum Name: Help us improve the site
Forum Description: Help us improve the forums, and the site as a whole
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99022
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 08:55
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why is there no ignore function on this site?
Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Subject: Why is there no ignore function on this site?
Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 19:04
I have very few problems with the members on this site. However, there is one particular member who I seem to have problems with. This person seems rather antagonistic towards me and I would like to put this individual on ignore. However, there is no ignore feature here that I am aware of. What should I do?

Replies:
Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 19:19
Maybe you're taking this a bit too personal, friend.

Do not respond, simple as that.

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 19:26
Strange as this seems, you need to add me to your Buddy List then set the flag to ignore me - unfortunately that only prevents me from messaging you, it does not blank my posts.

Anyway, I apologise for any offence I may have inflicted upon you. It was never my intent to offend. I'm just not a nice person when pushed.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 19:34
I have set my Buddy List to ignore messages from you. I suggest you do the same. 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 19:42
^You are right. I was referring to you. SO I have to friend you to ignore you. I'm the same way. I'm not nice to those who provoke me. I don't feel I start crap so if you feel the same way I find that very interesting. You are the only person on here I've ever had a serious issue with and this is not the first time. What does that tell you? I'm a pretty laid back guy. Trust me when I say if you can't get along with me then you are in trouble. However, don't mistake my kindess for weakness. You bite I bite back. ;)

Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 19:56
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

No you are right Dean. You treat everyone with respect and are just so cuddly and friendly I can't stand it. :D 

Seriously though don't expect me to be nice to you when you start trouble. It works both ways.
If posting a rofl on observing that your thread of nine years ago OT'd on the diametrically opposite premise is deemed as starting trouble then I sincerely regret ever setting foot in that thread. My only remotely belligerent comment there was to remark that you were not interesting enough to keep tabs on. The merest suggestion that I was keeping tabs on you would be offensive if it wasn't so ridiculous so rather than escalate that by attacking you in return, I defended myself and stated why I went looking for other threads on the same subject. It was you who made an erroneous observation on why I stepped down from admin duties here and it was you who likened me to a three year-old - since you have deleted those comments I presume you have subsequently withdrawn them and not just deleted them to sanitise your posts. All I ever did was find your change in view over a nine year period slightly amusing, it was never intended to cause offence. 

However, please continue to blow this out of all proportion as much as you like I am really passed caring.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 19:58
No you did more than that. It was your later comments in that thread that I felt were particularly insensitive and uncalled for. It just seems to me that you can dish it out but when someone retaliates you act as though you are totally innocent and did nothing to instigate.

Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 20:05
Okay - I'm being particularly remedial tonight. Please show me exactly which comments have upset you and I will unconditionally apologise for them one by one.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 20:08
At this point it doesn't matter and I don't want to keep rehashing it. Let's just agree to stay out of each others way from now on. I won't respond to any of your specific posts and I suggest you do the same. I don't want or expect an apology from you at this point. I just want you to leave me alone and I will do the same. Thanks.

Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 20:13
Fair enough. I can't say that leaving this unresolved is a comfortable situation but if you are unprepared to allow me to apologise for specific offences then there is nothing I can do about that. I'm not willing to give a carte-blanch apology for any misunderstandings on your part.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 20:19
At this point it seems that apologizing to me is more important to you than it is to me. I already stated you don't have to. I just want to end this once and for all. If you must know it was the "I'm not interesting" comment but I'm sure there were others not to mention the go F** off in the private message. Maybe I handled some of this in a rather juvenile way too but I really don't feel I started the negativity and I just feel you unnecessarily baited me but you probably do it to others as well and maybe my biggest mistake was to take it so personally by responding to you. Maybe you should consider going to a professional therapist to talk about your anger issues. They can be helpful. I've been down that road myself.

Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 20:43
I should advise you that repeating the content of a PM in an open forum post is against forum rules and deeply frowned upon, but in this instance I will give you my permission to repeat that comment here without reservation. It was an unacceptable response from me uttered in exasperation not in anger. That I do apologise for whether you want it or not, I tried to delete the PM before you opened it but that wasn't possible. Since you don't care for an apology I also regret that I did not find you interesting enough to keep tabs upon, however, I hope that situation never changes. 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: July 20 2014 at 20:51
You're right. I should not have repeated what was said in a pm on here but I was trying to make a point since you didn't see how you could have said or done anything offensive.

I don't care for an apology only because I'm wise enough to know that it's not going to change your actions on here. You're going to do what you want not what others want. I get it. I'm like that to some extent also. But as they say talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words.

As for your last comment well it just goes to show that I don't think you could give a sincere apology even if you wanted to which is why I don't expect or need one. Anyway, time to move on as I'm done with this thread.

Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 02:38
Oh for crying out loud (exasperation not anger)... when will you understand that the "not interesting" comment is about "keeping tabs on you" and not an insult to your character or personality or whatever slight you think it refers to? Why would I continue to insult you after offering an apology? Do you really think I am that insensitive or out-right impolite? In saying that I hope the situation never changes means I hope you don't ever do something stupid enough on this forum that would cause me to "keep tabs on you". 

I'm beginning to wonder what that phrase actually means where you come from, because here it is the same as "putting you under close surveillance" it means you are "a person of interest" - just like a suspected terrorist or bank robber is a "person of interest", here on at the PA a "person of interest" would be a spammer, a troll or someone with known pertinacity for racism. On a more sinister level if you were none of those things then "keeping tabs on you" would be something creepy or perverted like I was stalking or purposely harassing you and that would be offensive to me so I'm hardly likely to insult myself in the process of having a dig at you. As I said before, accusing me of "keeping tabs on you" would be offensive to me if it wasn't such ridiculous notion - I have never had any interest in "keeping tabs on you" or any one else here.

As I suspected this is all the result of a stupid misunderstanding and that is incredibly disappointing. 

This is my last post on this subject. Now please stop insulting me.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 04:15
How about a button that propels grenades into peoples dreams...

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 05:25
The function is within yourself........

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 09:13

At this point it seems that apologizing to me is more important to you than it is to me. I already stated you don't have to. I just want to end this once and for all. If you must know it was the "I'm not interesting" comment but I'm sure there were others not to mention the go F** off in the private message. Maybe I handled some of this in a rather juvenile way too but I really don't feel I started the negativity and I just feel you unnecessarily baited me but you probably do it to others as well and maybe my biggest mistake was to take it so personally by responding to you. Maybe you should consider going to a professional therapist to talk about your anger issues. They can be helpful. I've been down that road myself.

Surely this whole crockery typhoon simply stems from a misunderstanding of the expression you're not interesting enough?
At the risk of putting words in his mouth, I think Dean just means that he did not consider you capable or guilty of the sorts of sniping, flaming and trolling etc that goes on in some of the forums. (by someone like me for example) That's actually a compliment to your good behaviour and maturity ain't it? I've had flashpoints with Dean myself which have resulted in harsh words and my flouncing off to block his PMs in one of my 'hissy fits' from time to time but I always regret that and I like to think we can and will continue to have civil and entertaining discourse in the future. (that goes for you also I hope)

-------------

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 10:27
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

How about a button that propels grenades into peoples dreams...

I'm in favor of a big red button that when pressed will send a giant hand through the screen of the other person and slap them around a little.

Other than that. There is an ignore function on this site. Look in the upper right hand corner of your window. There's a red box with an "x" in it. Press that and you need not see anything you don't want to.   

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 20:11

If it makes you feel better I don't think you are interesting either.  Not until you grow boobs or buy me beer.

Date Posted: July 21 2014 at 20:31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6PNc9KN50M

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk