Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99064
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 01:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Best Swans Album
Posted By: Xonty
Subject: Best Swans Album
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 05:37
Pretty simple, what's your favourite Swans album and why? 

Going for "The Seer" on this one - little bit let down by "To Be Kind" if I'm honest (although there are some fantastic tracks on it). Not really a huge fan on the 20th century albums, although "Soundtracks For The Blind" was pretty great.

As always, thanks for any feedback! Smile

Replies:
Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 06:18
Children Of God. Great atmosphere and it's not as megalomaniac as Soundtracks For The Blind or The Seer, nor as same-ish as White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 07:16
The Seer followed by Soundtracks for the Blind

Posted By: melotron98
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 07:27
Nice poll Xonty! Thumbs Up I think the two latest albums are the best from whole discography. Just after I got my preorder of To Be Kind  I'd vote for that one without doubt. But now I don't know... a good reason to listen those 2-hours albums now. Big smile

EDIT Btw, what if someone would like to vote for  Public Castration Is a Good IdeaWink

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 10:28
1. To Be Kind
----- No Order
Great Annihilator
Soundtracks
Seer
Love of Life

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 10:57
I don't really have a favorite, but my top tier would consist of (no order)

The Seer
To Be Kind
Body to Body, Job to Job (comp/live)
Swans Are Dead (live)

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 11:12
Originally posted by melotron98 melotron98 wrote:

Nice poll Xonty! Thumbs Up I think the two latest albums are the best from whole discography. Just after I got my preorder of To Be Kind  I'd vote for that one without doubt. But now I don't know... a good reason to listen those 2-hours albums now. Big smile

EDIT Btw, what if someone would like to vote for  Public Castration Is a Good IdeaWink

Cheers! Tongue Definitely agree, and I meant to put, it's just studio albums Smile

Posted By: Billy Pilgrim
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 21:52
The Great Annihilator. Little bit of everything Swans have done, represents the band perfectly.

Soundtracks, The Seer, Children Of God and White Light are all close seconds.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 21:56
I'm a Swans newbie.  Soaking up To Be Kind.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 22:05
Honestly I was disappointed with To Be Kind. It seemed to me much weaker that The Seer.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 22:18
WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

-------------

Posted By: Luna
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 22:44
I feel like much of their discography is just apples and oranges. No vote for me as I only own Greed, Children of God, Love of Life, and To Be Kind, but I could see myself voting for any of those.

-------------
https://aprilmaymarch.bandcamp.com/track/the-badger" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 02:13
The ones I have, in order of preference:

1) My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky
2) To Be Kind
3) The Seer
4) The Great Annihilator

As to why, well Father is the first one I got and I just fell in love with it.  What else can be said?

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 18:45
Children Of God

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 19:25
So I ordered Soundtrack For The Blind but maybe I should have ordered Children Of God instead?  I also ordered The Seer and To Be Kind of course.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: July 27 2014 at 19:08
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

So I ordered Soundtrack For The Blind but maybe I should have ordered Children Of God instead?  I also ordered The Seer and To Be Kind of course.

Children of God is great, might be more accessible than Soundtracks, COG I think is the first one where they started straying away from the crushing noise rock of their first albums, but that style is still there. Both great. 

Date Posted: July 27 2014 at 19:15
And To Be Kind is awesome, but I'm still taking it in, as of now I can't say if I like it more than The Seer or not. Screenshot might be my favorite song they've done since they reformed.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: July 27 2014 at 19:21

Yeah, ... when purchasing, I always look at the ratings at RYM, and there Soundtracks For The Blind is the highest-rated Swans album (even though their sorting algorithms aren't perfect Geek ).

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 19:56
Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

Children of God is great, might be more accessible than Soundtracks, COG I think is the first one where they started straying away from the crushing noise rock of their first albums, but that style is still there. Both great. 

Sounds like I need Chidren Of God then, thanks!

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 19:58
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Yeah, ... when purchasing, I always look at the ratings at RYM, and there Soundtracks For The Blind is the highest-rated Swans album (even though their sorting algorithms aren't perfect Geek ).

I tend to do the same, just trying to get an idea of people's opinions through reviews and ratings. It helps I believe.

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 21:07
Soundtracks is a fine place to start. Honestly though, i prefer Great Annihilator to Children of God. So there's that too. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 22:17
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Soundtracks is a fine place to start. Honestly though, i prefer Great Annihilator to Children of God. So there's that too. 

Oh stop! Kidding aside I will check into that one as well, thanks.

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 15:04
:-]

-------------

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: August 17 2015 at 14:37
I voted "The Seer"   I like the new stuff.  

Date Posted: August 17 2015 at 14:39
I would love Soundtracks For The Blind a lot more if they weren't THAT long.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: August 17 2015 at 15:43
I initially voted for The Seer on this one, but I have to give it for To Be Kind now. It really stuck with me since it came out and still kicks ass even after listening to it countless times. An all time favorite. 

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: August 24 2015 at 18:29
Tie between Children, Soundtracks, and To Be Kind. I voted for Soundtracks because it was my firstn listen to them but TBK has some crazy songs that now I feel like that's what I should've gone for. Plus it has one of the greatest songs to ever exist, Bring The Sun/Toussaint L'Ouverture.

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Date Posted: August 25 2015 at 11:06
Wow, my opinion's changed a fair bit since then. Thanks for whoever voted on this last week, I need to get back into Swans to prepare for their final album that's meant to come later this year (by the way, cue every forthcoming review to include the "Swans Song" pun Stern Smile). 

Can't remember a time when I liked Soundtracks as an album (it has its moments, but is way too cumbersome for me). Likewise, I can't remember not loving To Be Kind as I bought the album straight after listening to it. Probably includes my fave Swans track "A Little God In My Hands" too, which has the greatest moment in modern music about 90 seconds in. I won't spoil it if you haven't heard it, but seriously go straight to that song! "The Seer" is still without a doubt my favourite, but I only ever listen to it when I have enough time for the whole thing. Annoyingly, now should be perfect but the weather's just too great and I'm still recovering from witnessing "Holy Money" for the first time in January Shocked

Enough rambling though, what I want to know is why PA users love "Children Of God" so much? It's the highest rated post/math rock album, and that seriously makes no sense when you consider all the classic GYBE and Sigur Ros records in there. Maybe it's the rating system as it only had about 25 ratings when I last checked, and the couple of reviews posted were 5-stars, but I'm still not sure.

Date Posted: August 25 2015 at 11:32
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Enough rambling though, what I want to know is why PA users love "Children Of God" so much? It's the highest rated post/math rock album, and that seriously makes no sense when you consider all the classic GYBE and Sigur Ros records in there. Maybe it's the rating system as it only had about 25 ratings when I last checked, and the couple of reviews posted were 5-stars, but I'm still not sure.
True, it definitely belongs in the top 15-20 but nowhere near above Skinny Fists, (), or even albums like Mogwai Young Team or Geneva. 

-------------

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 02:40
The Seer annihilates me in all the right ways.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 03:36

It's 1988 and I was getting a bit tired with prog and hard-rock, and I hadn't really discovered post-punk yet.

Then I borrowed 'Children of God' from the library (it had long songs and it was a 2LP so why not huh?)

It took my love for Prog more than a decade to recover from the blow LOL

So yes CoG it is, especially the 2CD package that also has the 'Skin' albums!

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 04:48
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

I haven't rated Children of God here but as much as I love their new stuff it is still my favorite album of theirs. It hit me real hard when I first discovered it many years ago. As much a physical and emotional experience as their recent albums (which for me - the material works a lot better live). Its beauty (including Jarboes compositions and voice) felt a little like the darker, more profound version of the music Dead Can Dance were making in the same period.

-------------

Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 12:16
I do not think this coming album is the final Swans album ever. I read it is just the last album from this version of Swans. This could mean different line-up or sound, or both - time will tell. Last time Swans ended we got masterpieces of both sides of the hiatus. So i am not worried. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 13:42
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I do not think this coming album is the final Swans album ever. I read it is just the last album from this version of Swans. This could mean different line-up or sound, or both - time will tell. Last time Swans ended we got masterpieces of both sides of the hiatus. So i am not worried. 
Michael Gira is immortal. He will create albums until the world ends.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk