Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99065
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 00:20
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tony Banks - ATOTT and Wind & Wuthering
Posted By: fudgenuts64
Subject: Tony Banks - ATOTT and Wind & Wuthering
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 07:17
Which one of these songs penned by Tony Banks is your favorite? I love the story One For The Vine tells, it's a really great song. All of these songs invoke a lot of imagery, and that seemed to be Tony's strong suit on these two albums.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 07:18

Afterglow.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 07:36
One for the Vine.

A symphonic prog masterpiece, and possibly the best song he ever wrote.

Banks strength is is composition, rather than lyric writing. I think a lot of his lyrics are rather weak. All in a Mouses night is awful

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 07:42
I agree with your comment on One for the Vine and that All in a Mouse's Night was awful.    But I think overall Tony is a very good lyricist.  Watcher of the Skies (w/ Mike), Firth of Fifth...all the way up to Home by the Sea, Domino, Feeding the Fire and Fading Lights were all Banks lyrics and all were well-written. 

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: genbanks
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 07:46
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

One for the Vine.

Banks strength is is composition, rather than lyric writing. I think a lot of his lyrics are rather weak. All in a Mouses night is awful

Agree and desagree.

One for the vine is a prog masterpiece and one of the better songs of Genesis all time for me.

IMO Banks is a great lyricist even in the level of Gabriel. One for the vine is a proof as Cinema show Seven stones or White mountain for example. After Gabriel's departure he was the stronger lyricist of Genesis.

About the poll One for the vine and Mad man moon are very close. Today I will go with One for the vine.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 08:09
Mad Moon Moon was my vote. It was a close call for me between that and One for the Vine. The lyrics in both are really good. Compositionally and Instrumentally, One for the Vine is the better of the two, but it ought to have had more of an edge in places.

Posted By: fudgenuts64
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 08:41
I would argue All In A Mouse's Night has some fantastic imagery. It's not a serious song but it tells it's story quite well. I also love the solo at the end, that song has such an epic climax for such a trivial conflict :D

-------------

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 08:58
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Mad Moon Moon was my vote. It was a close call for me between that and One for the Vine

This

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 09:18
One for One for the Vine.

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 09:32
Another vote for One For The Vine. A fine song and one of Banks' best compositions.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 10:08
Mad Man Moon---sing this song all the time---it's stuck in my head the melody is so beautiful----

Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 11:08
Originally posted by fudgenuts64 fudgenuts64 wrote:

I would argue All In A Mouse's Night has some fantastic imagery. It's not a serious song but it tells it's story quite well. I also love the solo at the end, that song has such an epic climax for such a trivial conflict :D

Agree with this

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 11:09
Mad Man Moon just about beats One For The Vine. Actually really like the ATOTT title track too

Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 11:11
In fact, for me, all of these tracks in the list are great music.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 11:12
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I agree with your comment on One for the Vine and that All in a Mouse's Night was awful.    But I think overall Tony is a very good lyricist.  Watcher of the Skies (w/ Mike), Firth of Fifth...all the way up to Home by the Sea, Domino, Feeding the Fire and Fading Lights were all Banks lyrics and all were well-written. 

Yeah ok, on second thoughts some of those lyrcis you mention are pretty good. I didn;t realise they were all Banks lyrics.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 11:35
First vote for All in a Mouse's Night! As with the other tracks, the music is great but I particularly like the story-telling and humor in this one.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 11:50
Mouse +1

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 12:22
Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

Agree with this

Me too---it's a great song telling a tale---with some humor---very Genesis----and great Hackett guitar work at the end elevating the song even further---which is what Steve does.Wink

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 12:42
love the last three for sure; OftV is great, while AiaMN not so much. favorite for now is Mad Man Moon; should've chose Afterglow but oh well.

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 12:48
As for Afterglow, I was never a huge fan of it as a standalone track on W&W, but I love, love, love the version on Three Sides. It makes a great conclusion to the In The Cage/Cinema Show/Slippermen medley. And something about Collins vocal performance on Three Sides is much more emotional than the version on W&W.

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 12:49
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

Agree with this

Me too---it's a great song telling a tale---with some humor---very Genesis----and great Hackett guitar work at the end elevating the song even further---which is what Steve does.Wink

Yes, and that is absolutely right. Banks and/or Rutherford the main songwritters and Hackett and/or Collins the arrangers who help to carry the songs to higher levels, a perfect combinantion that almost always worked perfectly. That's why Calling all stations did not work so well. And Rutherford says something about this on his book.

Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 12:52

As for Afterglow, I was never a huge fan of it as a standalone track on W&W, but I love, love, love the version on Three Sides. It makes a great conclusion to the In The Cage/Cinema Show/Slippermen medley. And something about Collins vocal performance on Three Sides is much more emotional than the version on W&W.

I think exactly the same than you. As a difference I like the original version too, as a perfect closing of this fantastic album. But the TSL version is by far the best of all Afterglow versions out there.

Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 12:59
^I think it's probably because I heard the TSL version first and so was underwhelmed by the track when I heard the original version.

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 13:27

^I think it's probably because I heard the TSL version first and so was underwhelmed by the track when I heard the original version.

Surely as you say. The same happened toe. I knew first TSL and this version is the best of all. Absolutely emotional with Phil at his best. Stunning song.

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 13:52
Afterglow. The one on W&W.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 14:07
Afterglow

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 14:22
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Mad Moon Moon was my vote. It was a close call for me between that and One for the Vine

This

+1

-------------

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 14:23
Afterglow.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 16:30
One For The Vine

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 16:51
I love Afterglow and Mad Man Moon is also great one. But I cannot vote here for any other song than One For The Vine. Fantastic epic song, probably their best after Gabriel's department.

-------------

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 21:58
I always kinda liked heathaze and cul de sac from Duke and the lady lies from And Then There Were Three... (i think that one was a banks tune wasn't it?)

I've always gravitated to the banks tunes on genesis albums.

i thought the 'a curious feeling' album was wonderful.  (shrugs) 

on this one, mad man moon, was my choice.

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 22:04
^ I'm probably one of the few who like all of his solo albums, including The Fugitive, Bankstatement, Still, Banks Chung or is that Wang Tony, and his two classical albums.  But A Curious Feeling is still my favorite of all those.  

-------------

Date Posted: July 24 2014 at 22:23

^ I'm probably one of the few who like all of his solo albums, including The Fugitive, Bankstatement, Still, Banks Chung or is that Wang Tony, and his two classical albums.  But A Curious Feeling is still my favorite of all those.  

So I'm another one of these few, of course I like all of his albums, and of course Curious feeling is a masterpiece as an overall and conceptual piece of art.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 00:48
Very difficult decision between Moon and Vine.......
.....all these tunes are firmly stuck in my mind, love them all (as usual) but darn it......
....probably vote for Mad Man Moon today.....

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 00:56
One For The Vine

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 01:05

One for the Vine.

I voted for Mad Man Moon , just a stunning track and completely faultless

One For The Vine only really excites me on the live version when you have the two drummers playing the instrumental section. On the studio version it just doesn't get going and Collins drumming is very 'stiff'

All In A Mouses Night makes me smile ( I like itSmile)

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 06:04
One For the Vine gets my vote, and I'll give some love to All In a Mouse's Night - I like its whimsy.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 11:20
Trick of the Tail needs some love.  I'd have chosen it after One for the Vine.

-------------

Posted By: snowsnow
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 11:39
I think the song A Trick of the Tail is the weakest track on a superb album. Though, to be fair, Robbery, assault and battery tries to give the title track a run for its money!

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: July 26 2014 at 21:06
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

One for the Vine.

I voted for Mad Man Moon , just a stunning track and completely faultless

One For The Vine only really excites me on the live version when you have the two drummers playing the instrumental section. On the studio version it just doesn't get going and Collins drumming is very 'stiff'

All In A Mouses Night makes me smile ( I like itSmile)

+1 (Mad Man Moon). Agreed about it.

Second vote would be for All In A Mouses Night, but I like it most for that such a beautiful instrumental melody which closes it pompously.

I feel the same about One For The Vine, what really impressed me was that beautiful melody at the final part, subsequently closed with the piano.

Afterglow I feel it has some sentimental value, it was one of the first Genesis songs that I happened to know (besides ATTWT) much time ago, the one played in the Seconds Out show, which featured another drummer whose name I don't recall - the exciting final drums session of Afterglow in that show still moves me.

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 27 2014 at 22:12
One for the Vine easily. This one is just as good as any longish song from the Gabriel era. I also like Afterglow a lot, though. And I sort of like "All in a Mouse's Night", but I would rather it had different lyrics... they are fun all right, but they turn me a bit off anyway.

Posted By: SquonkHunter
Date Posted: July 27 2014 at 22:57
Mad Man Moon for me. I was completely spellbound the first time I heard it. One for the Vine is good but it doesn't reach down inside me the same as Mad Man Moon. 

-------------
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."

Posted By: Snowbound1997
Date Posted: July 27 2014 at 23:06
Mad Man Moon or Mouses Night

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/whankggh/?chartstyle=lastfmblue" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: July 29 2014 at 17:58
Mad Man Moon.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 19 2018 at 03:41
All In A Mouse's Night

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 19 2018 at 04:28
Afterglow.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk