Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99075
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 12:34
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2014 Picks
Posted By: Guldbamsen
Subject: 2014 Picks
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 03:07
Seeing as we are approaching August next month, I thought it would be cool to see what people have been listening to from the first half of 2014.
I haven't been purchasing too much new music because I am broke, but out of the few new ones I do have, these are definitely some that keep receiving air play:

Agusa - Högtid (thrilling instrumental throwback album with nods to Kebnekaise, Fläsket Brinner and the early Swedish proggers)
Fire! Orchestra - Enter (more big band jazz prog from an absolute stellar act, which is getting a fair amount of attention in Scandinavia)
Watter - This World (Zak Riles off my beloved Grails partakes in a wonderfully soaring and psychedelic post rock album with one Britt Walford (Slint) sounding as fresh as a chilled Beduin riding a yak convertible)
Wovenhand - Refractory Obdurate (the perpetual doom folkers go for a more tangible rock feel)
Current 93 - I Am The Last Of All The Field That Fell (A Channel) - (avant folk with a bit of everything thrown in the mix. Sharp, edgy and still delightfully melodic in it's delivery)

Albums I'm dying to check out include Syd Arthur's Soundmirror, Swans' To Be Kind and the new one from Wolves In The Throne Room.

What are your personal picks from 2014?

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Replies:
Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 05:10
My favorites so far this year.

Sonar - Static Motion

Atomic Ape - Swarm
Univers Zero - Phosphorescent Dreams
Filthy Habits Ensemble - Plays Stravinsky: L'Histoire du Soldat Live at Jamboree
Animals As Leaders - The Joy of Motion
Susan Clynes - Life Is...
Factor Burzaco – 3
Ut Gret - Ancestor's Tale
Jack O' The Clock - Night Loops
Swans - To Be Kind
Led Bib - The People In Your Neighbourhood
Stars In Battledress - In Droplet Form
Rabbit Rabbit Radio - Vol 2, Swallow Me Whole

I'll probably add Knifeworld & Accordo Dei Contrari once they've had enough spins.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 05:13
I am trying to make this thread about prog albums, but safe to say that one of my favourite albums of 2014 up until now is Soundcarriers' Entropicalia. It does get quite 'Krauty' and psychedelic at the end of the album, but I'm not sure whether it should be included on PA.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 05:16
Hey Ian.
Have you had a chance to check out the new Pinhas/Yoshida collaboration?

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 05:58
So far this year I bought...0 new albums Ermm

All the albums I got are older albums.

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 06:10
This is my full 2014 list so far. I know, seriously unimpressive:

Discipline - This One's For England 19/20

The Oath - The Oath 17/20

Perfect Beings - Perfect Beings 15/20
Messenger - Illusory Blues 15/20
Temples - Sun Structures 15/20
Frequency Drift - Over 15/20
Sabbath Assembly - Quaternity 15/20
Lazuli - Tant Que L`Herbe Est Grasse 15/20

Matria - Defying My World 14/20
Se Delan - The Fall 14/20
Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra - f**k Off Get Free We Pour Light On Everything 14/20
St. Vincent - St. Vincent 14/20
Eden Shadow - Phases 14/20
Gazpacho - Demon 14/20
Solar Corona - Outerspace 14/20

iamthemorning - Miscellany 13/20

At least there were no real stinkers. Also, first time I've ranked a live album at the top - but what an awesome performance it is, easily the most pleasureble listening experience so far. 

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 07:17
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hey Ian.

It's sitting on my 'to buy' list, I'll probably pick it up in one of my orders over the next 6 months.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 07:52
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Hey Ian.

It's sitting on my 'to buy' list, I'll probably pick it up in one of my orders over the next 6 months.

Alright cool. I just remember you mentioning this release and me going absolutely apefeaces over it. Probably be a little while before I can afford to spend money on music. I'm planning on spending them on my holiday to Copenhagen instead

Oh and btw, I strongly recommend you check out any of the three Fire! Orchestra releases. They are absolutely breathtaking, especially if you are into Sun Ra like space fusion.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 10:35
Favs of the year so far (prog or not):

Swans - To Be Kind
Peter Hammill & Gary Lucas - Other World
Ben Frost - A U R O R A
BADBADNOTGOOD - III
Pat Metheny Unity Group - Kin
Kosmischer Läufer - Volume Two

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 10:40

1- IQ- Road to Bones

Logos- L’Enigma della Vita

2-Synaesthesia- same

3-Fabio Zuffanti- La Quarta Vittima

4-Ad Maiora- same

5-Panic Room- Incarnate

6-Frequency Drift- Over

7- Phoenix Again – Look Out

8-Ego-Sistema

9-Monarch Trail- Skye

10-Elephants of Scotland- Execute and Breathe

11-RPWL- Wanted

12-Huis- Despite Guardian Angels

13-The Gift- Land of Shadows

14-Gazpacho-Demon

15-Majestic- Epsilon 1

16-Nodo Gordiano- Nous

17-Perfect Beings-same

18- Dean Watson- Fantasizer!

19- Machines Dream- same

20- Dawn- Darker

21- Strattman- The Lie of the Beholder

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: snowsnow
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 11:34
1 Gazpacho -Demon
2 IQ - The Road of Bones
3 Anathema - Distant Satellites
4 The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
5 Coldplay -Ghost Stories
6 Mostly Autumn - Dressed in Voices
6 Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope 
7 Fish - A Feast of Consequences
8 Crippled Black Phoenix - White Light Generator
9 Panic Room - Incarnate
10Mike Oldfield -Man on the Rocks

Best album I've actually purchased - Tull's astonishing extended performance of A Passion Play - one of the greatest albums just got better.

Biggest disappointment (though not a shock) Yes -bless 'em)

Still looking forward to ....Pendragon's new one :)

Posted By: melotron98
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 12:03
I didn't listen to a lot of 2014 stuff. But I can choose 2 albums so far:

Swans - To Be Kind. I became a Swans' fan about a year ago and I began with The Seer. I gotta admit that it was pretty difficult to find they enjoyable at first. But after some listennings I discovered the sense and beauty of their music and since then I love them. It isn't pure prog, I agree. I think it is so far the only "no so prog" band I love so much that they are one of my most fav artists. I read an information about the release of To Be Kind in my birthday and that was really nice LOL I listened to it a lot of times and I think it is their best piece ever recorded. Yesterday I was not sure about that but now I am. Maybe it is not so dark as The Seer is but more electronic. However, it is not the problem in that case. Gira did a great job and it is incredible that they released two 2-hours f**cking awesome albums in 4 years. I hope for the next one in 2016 that will make my head blow up next time. Big smile

Univers Zero -Phosphorescent Dream. I fortunately visited the UZ site in the day they wrote about the new release and it was hard to wait about 4 months for that (as I remember the date of release was delayed, unfortunately). I think it is the beginning of the new era of UZ. First, they resigned from Cuneiform Records. I know it is a great company that has a lot of avantprog musicians but their music is rather difficult to find. Maybe not in US where you have Wayside and it is not a problem to buy there music. Buy in Europe it may be a bigger problem (for example with shipping). It is also almost impossible to find their music on Youtube, besides those experts published by Cuneiform. I don't say it is wrong policy. But I think that UZ is going to make their music more available since they went with Arcangelo and published the new album on Spotify and Deezer. The album is very nice. It is not the same UZ as the other pieces but sounds very very good. Nice RIO, more electronic, less atonal but it doesn't mean it is worse or "less RIO". It is just different but still well made. I hope we will be able to hear more new UZ's music soon. Big smile

Yesteday I listened to Atomic Ape debut since Ian (as I remember) posted some information about that on RIO appreciation thread I've been looking at for a few days. I think it is really nice but I listened to this only once so I can't say more today. Also I try to change my mind about IQ's album. I think it is not so bad but I still can't enjoy it as a lot of PA's members do. But I'll give it a few more chances and we will see. Wink

Oh and 2014 remaster of Power and Glory is OK (I bought today Smile)... but it is not counted, I think.

But if have are here to discuss 2014 stuff I ask you to recommend me some of them. Mainly RIO, Zeuhl interests me but you can give me some music from another subgenres, but not a lot of neo-prog which I don't enjoy so much

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 17:38
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I got IQ's latest but just about everything i've got this year is older stuff. I will have The Swans latest too.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 17:49
Swans' To Be Kind is so amazing it reaches almost a degree of spiritual enjoyment for me. Blasting "Bring the Sun" is oddly therapeutic and every other song just digs into my nerves. A masterpiece. 

Gazpacho's Demon is an interesting journey filled with unique Scandinavian textures mixed with Gazpacho's classic moody alternative sound. A nice break from the typical virtuosity and emotional devoid music out there.  

I really need to search around for more prog albums from this year. The other popular ones don't interest me. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Luna
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 17:56
Only have To Be Kind, but am completely stoked for new albums from GODFLESH, Primus, and Kayo Dot.
Gotta check out that new Devy too.

-------------
https://aprilmaymarch.bandcamp.com/track/the-badger" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 18:07
The only one that stood out for me thus far is Phoenix Again - Look Out and Distorted Harmony's sophomore is not bad either... still to check IQ (heard samples of), Opeth, Enchant, Threshold to come Tongue

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 18:11
Hmm...reading over these lists and reading my own...makes me realize I haven't heard much from 2014.

A short list for now:

Yoshi/Pinhas - Welcome...In The Void
Machine Mass - Inti
Led Bib - The People...
Factor Burzaco - 3
Agalloch - The Serpent & The Sphere

I have work to do...

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 18:16
Only one title makes my list this year.  Yes - Heaven and Earth.  

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: january4mn
Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 20:09
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

1- IQ- Road to Bones

2-Synaesthesia- same

4-Ad Maiora- same

5-Panic Room- Incarnate

6-Frequency Drift- Over

8-Ego-Sistema

9-Monarch Trail- Skye

11-RPWL- Wanted

14-Gazpacho-Demon

15-Majestic- Epsilon 1

16-Nodo Gordiano- Nous

17-Perfect Beings-same

19- Machines Dream- same

20- Dawn- Darker

Thanks so much for including Monarch Trail in your top 20, Thomas!!! It's an honour to be on your list :)
Ken

Date Posted: July 25 2014 at 20:14
I should do a bit of a list too although these are the only albums I've bought so far!,

IQ: The Road of Bones
Asia: Gravitas
Cirrus Bay: the first three albums (but oddly, not their 2014 one yet)

And in the near future,
Yes: Heaven And Earth
Saga: Sagacity
Druckfarben: Second Sound

And I finally picked up Martin Orford's "Classical Music and Popular Songs" although that's hardly a new record.

Ken

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 26 2014 at 01:51
Deluge Grander - Heliotians
Anton Roolaart - The Plight Of Lady Oona
Anathema - Distant Satellites
Nick Magnus - N'monix
IQ - The Road Of Bones
Gazpacho - Demons
Heretics - Dream The Electric Sheep
Synaesthesia - Same
Glass Hammer - Ode To Echo
Ian Anderson - Homo Erraticus
Yes - Heaven and Earth
Rob Reed - Sanctuary

roughly in that order

Good year so far , the only album I don't like is Mike Oldfield - Man On The Rocks

Posted By: smartpatrol
Date Posted: July 26 2014 at 03:19
St.Vincent - s/t - Not her greatest but still a 10/10 from me. Annie has incredible talent, as a songwriter, singer, guitarist, and she's beyond easy on the eyes. Very sterile, cold, and electronic, but simultaneously animalistic, demented, but also angelic. She's got one of the best track records of any recording artist I know. Low 10/10

Death Grips - Niggas on the Moon - To be fair it's half of a yet-to-be-completely-released double album, but way too good not to mention. Sadly this may be their last LP, as they recently announced their disbandment, but there's always hope (especially with all their past PR). Each of their albums has a distinct (and very tasty) flavor, and this one is broken, weird, bizzare, and glitchy as all f**k. Love it! Lyrically it's MC Ride's most cryptic; not as heavy as the drug-crazed-schizo-satanic stuff you might hear on "Lil Boy" or "Get Got", but still just as interesting. High 9/10

Mac Demarco - Salad Days - 30 minutes of bliss. Mac writes some of the most beautiful melodies, and some great lyrics to boot. Stylistically it's pretty similar to his last album "2"; mellow, calm, and loving, and fairly stoner-esque (though he says he prefers tobacco). Despite it's similarity to it's predecessor, it's definitely an improvement, both by his better, more memorable songs, and a bit more varied instrumentation; some more keys, some more acoustic ballads, etc. Mid 9/10

Royal Blood - Out of the Black EP - Four gritty, heavy, catchy garage-rock bangers. Nothing too fancy but kicks ass. Low 9/10

Nicky Jasaszewski - BIO-111 - The fifth release on my label I Thought You Were A Marxist Records. I feel kind of weird putting it here since it's my work; I produced it, but all I really did was add some reverb and mix it into stereo. Some great tracks; relaxing and minimalistic, but also interesting because of it's mix of melodic and dissonant tones. Low 9/10

Michael Summers - Nightscapes and Dreamares - Some cool experimental electronic tracks Low 9/10

The Polar Syntax Project - A Name That Makes the Heart Swell
- Another one on my label. Great one hour drone. Enough progression to stay interesting but still very nice to listen to passively. Low 9/10

Junk - Car EP - Great, catchy songs. Nice and noisy. High 8/10

Swans - To Be Kind
- Really strong work. Long, dissonant, dark, and haunting. Repetitive mantras repeated over and over. Great stuff. High 8/10

They Might Be Giants - First Album Live - One of my favorite albums ever, played live almost 30 years later. Not as great as the original but still strong as sh*t. High 8/10

-------------
http://bit.ly/1kqTR8y" rel="nofollow">

The greatest record label of all time!

Posted By: Kazza3
Date Posted: July 26 2014 at 06:03
Very rough order of my favourites so far would be:

Swans - To Be Kind
St Vincent - s/t
IQ - The Road of Bones
Antemasque - s/t
Le Butcherettes - Cry Is For The Flies
Closure in Moscow - Pink Lemonade
Dot Hacker - How's Your Process? (Work)
Perfect Beings - s/t

I'm having more success finding good albums this year than last.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 26 2014 at 09:38
Perfect Beings    Perfect Beings
Dream The Electric Sleep    Heretics
Amos, Tori    Unrepentant Geraldines
Eno - Hyde    Someday World
Djam Karet    Regenerator 3017
Ian Anderson    Homo Erraticus
Tibbetts, Steve    Natural Causes
Curved Air    North Star
Way, Darryl    Children Of The Cosmos
Anubis    Hitchiking To Byzantium
Umphrey's McGee    Similar Skin

On the way, the new Swans and Knifeworld and another Eno Hyde

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: July 26 2014 at 11:28
Originally posted by january4mn january4mn wrote:

I should do a bit of a list too although these are the only albums I've bought so far!,

IQ: The Road of Bones
Asia: Gravitas
Cirrus Bay: the first three albums (but oddly, not their 2014 one yet)

And in the near future,
Yes: Heaven And Earth
Saga: Sagacity
Druckfarben: Second Sound

And I finally picked up Martin Orford's "Classical Music and Popular Songs" although that's hardly a new record.

Ken

Ken your Skye album is excellent to say the least. I may not have enough for a top ten of 2014 but Skye will be part of that list for sure.Thumbs Up

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: July 26 2014 at 14:17
Wow, thanks John!Smile

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: July 26 2014 at 14:41
Q-- The Road Of Bones
Eloy--Reincarnation Live ON Stage
Vanden Plas--Chronicles Of The Immortals
Hibernal--Replacements
Agalloch--The Serpent And The Sphere
Jethro Tull--Steven Wilson remix (2014) boxset for A Passion Play
Devin Townsend--Casualties Of Cool
Lacuna Coil--Broken Crown Halo

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Date Posted: July 26 2014 at 14:47
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

honestly i thought that 2014 would be a dry year, but it was surprising for myself  to even form a top ten. there are some good ones out there. i really recommend Eloy's Reincarnation Live on Stage and Vanden Plas's Chronicles. Awesome stuff, and of course that IQ album is a given. Clap

-------------

Date Posted: July 26 2014 at 14:49
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

1- IQ- Road to Bones

2-Synaesthesia- same

4-Ad Maiora- same

5-Panic Room- Incarnate

6-Frequency Drift- Over

8-Ego-Sistema

9-Monarch Trail- Skye

11-RPWL- Wanted

14-Gazpacho-Demon

15-Majestic- Epsilon 1

16-Nodo Gordiano- Nous

17-Perfect Beings-same

19- Machines Dream- same

20- Dawn- Darker

ah you have been busy. very nice. and yeah, that IQ album is nothing but sonic joy.Cool

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: July 26 2014 at 14:56
I haven't gotten into that many new prog albums this year. Been discovering a lot of non-prog experimental bands instead, running the gamut from "indie" to "avant garde". But the new Swans album will be hard to beat this year.

I imagine there will eventually be many prog albums from this year that I'll enjoy, I'm just in no real hurry to check them all out. It's a pity that the year-end polls only give you less than a year to listen to and rate all that stuff.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: July 26 2014 at 18:37
Currently on my iphone (in alphabetical order):

Asia - Gravitas (yes, don't frown at me! Tongue)
Discipline - This One's For England
Djam Karet - Regenerator 3017
Elephants of Scotland - Execute and Breathe
Frequency Drift - Over
Huis - Despite Guardian Angels
IQ - The Road Of Bones
Lapis Lazuli - Alien Abra Cadaver
Lazuli - Tant Que L'Herbe Est Grasse
Mammoth - Polymorphism
Masal - Viens Des Quatre Vents
Panic Room - Incarnate
Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope

Either On my wish list, or have them already, but yet to hear:
Abel Ganz
Karfagen - Magician's Theater
Kaukasus - I
Nick Magnus - N'monix
Steven Wilson's cover versions
TNNE - The Clock That Went Backwards
Yes - Heaven and Earth

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Posted By: Stereolab
Date Posted: July 26 2014 at 21:32
Been bit of a slow year so far compared to 2013... "Agusa - Högtid" for sure. "Mastodon - Once More 'Round The Sun" for sure.

Date Posted: July 27 2014 at 03:09
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Q-- The Road Of Bones
Hibernal--Replacements
Devin Townsend--Casualties Of Cool
Lacuna Coil--Broken Crown Halo

didn't realise the Eloy album was this year so that could be added to my list

Lacuna Coil - that name has suddenly become known to me via Ayreon's The Theory Of Everything (the very attractive lead singer is one of the guest vocalists). Is it prog metal? I note the band are not included on PA as yet.

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: July 28 2014 at 22:31

I have only just begun to listen to 2014 releases but here are my favorites so far:

Ut Gret - Ancestors’ Tale

Agora - Ichinen

Humana Prog - Fiori Frutti Farfalle

Aalto - Ikaro

Kant Freud Kafka - No tengas miedo 

Factor Burzaco - 3

Logos - L’Enigma della vita

Accordo dei Contrari - AdC

Dean Watson - Fantasizer!

Swans - To Be Kind

IQ - The Road of Bones

Syndone - Odysséas

Amenophis - Time

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: July 28 2014 at 22:40
St. Vincent s/t and Emma Ruth Rundle - Some Heavy Ocean are my favorites for this year so far.

Posted By: Billy Pilgrim
Date Posted: July 29 2014 at 19:05
Mastodon- Once More 'Round the Sun
Animals As Leaders- The Joy of Motion
Swans- To Be Kind
Agalloch-  The Serpent and the Sphere

Only slightly disappointed with Animals As Leaders and Agalloch. More of the same.

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: July 29 2014 at 23:17
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Nick Magnus - N'monix

Nice, gotta check these.

1. Kaleidoscope - Transatlantic
2. Ode to Echo - Glass Hammer
3. Regenerator 3017 - Djam Karet
4. The Promise - Superdrama
5. Unrecorded Beam - Billy Bottle and the Multiple
6. Sulla Bolla di Sapone - FEM Prog Band
7. Circus Pandemonium - A.C.T
8. The Road of Bones - IQ
9. Time - Amenophis
10. Abandoned Dancehall Dreams - Tim Bowness
11. The Final Delusion - Delusion Squared
12. Incarnate - Panic Room
13. Illusory Blues - Messenger
14. Gravitas - Asia
15. Kindly Bent to Free Us - Cynic

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 09:25

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 17:30

Q-- The Road Of Bones
Hibernal--Replacements
Anathema - Distant SatellitesDevin Townsend--Casualties Of CoolLacuna Coil--Broken Crown Halo

Lacuna Coil - that name has suddenly become known to me via Ayreon's The Theory Of Everything (the very attractive lead singer is one of the guest vocalists). Is it prog metal? I note the band are not included on PA as yet.

Hey Richard. Yeah The Coil have some progressive tendencies but its minor. They infuse a gothic pop metal that really had seemed to work for me many years now. And yes...That Miss Scabbia is a bloody knockout with great stage presence. So many bands like Amaranth try to follow in Coils footsteps, but Lacuna reign supreme. If you think C.S is good looking now you should see what she looked liked 10 years ago. Lets just say it was hard to concentrate on The music. ;)
I put their album in a number 10. To be honest I haven't quite filled a cohesive 10 yet.
I shall though. It's not a bad year at all for music and for Prog.
The latest Flaming Row album might sneak in. :)

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 17:32
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

How do you like Capacitor by The Cosmo?? I really liked The Man Who was left in Space.
I'm surprised they came out with another album so fast. :)

-------------

Date Posted: July 31 2014 at 00:36

Q-- The Road Of Bones
Hibernal--Replacements
Anathema - Distant SatellitesDevin Townsend--Casualties Of CoolLacuna Coil--Broken Crown Halo

Hey Richard. Yeah The Coil have some progressive tendencies but its minor. They infuse a gothic pop metal that really had seemed to work for me many years now. And yes...That Miss Scabbia is a bloody knockout with great stage presence. So many bands like Amaranth try to follow in Coils footsteps, but Lacuna reign supreme. If you think C.S is good looking now you should see what she looked liked 10 years ago. Lets just say it was hard to concentrate on The music. ;)
I put their album in a number 10. To be honest I haven't quite filled a cohesive 10 yet.

I think we need a pictureBig smile

Posted By: idoownu
Date Posted: July 31 2014 at 00:42
If every Kayo Dot album they've released so far indicates anything about the one they will release this year, the album they will release in a few months will probably end up my favorite.

Date Posted: July 31 2014 at 05:00
One release I forgot to mention in my opening post is the Ulver/Sun O))) collab which was released earlier in the year. I think it is quite stunning myself, and it seems to get better with every new spin. From what I've read of reviews over the net, it has received a somewhat misunderstood welcoming. I am not sure what people were expecting. Granted, if they were looking for something melodic and hardhitting, then they obviously placed their bets on the wrong pony.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: July 31 2014 at 12:41

Q-- The Road Of Bones
Hibernal--Replacements

The face that lights up a stage. Beautiful girl.
Hope you give her a chance. Lacuna coil can be a refreshing listen sometimes.
Karma-code, Dark Adrenaline and their debut EP are wonderful places to start.
Hope you like.

-------------

Date Posted: July 31 2014 at 12:44

One release I forgot to mention in my opening post is the Ulver/Sun O))) collab which was released earlier in the year. I think it is quite stunning myself, and it seems to get better with every new spin. From what I've read of reviews over the net, it has received a somewhat misunderstood welcoming. I am not sure what people were expecting. Granted, if they were looking for something melodic and hardhitting, then they obviously placed their bets on the wrong pony.

I really liked Messe last year with the whole gothic-Chamber orchestra get up they had going on.
I will be sure to check this latest from them. Thanks Dave. Also hope you may roll in some deep-green pastures soon...$$$. I know, it's a tough out there.

-------------

Posted By: Dean Watson
Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 11:40
Thomas,

I too am honoured to be on your list!

Dean.

-------------
Find me at:
http://deanwatson.bandcamp.com/
www.soundcloud.com/dean-watson
http://www.cdbaby.com/Search/RGVhbiBXYXRzb24%3d/0

Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 11:50
Knifeworld - The Unravelling
Accordo Dei Contrari - AdC
Bob Drake - Lawn Ornament

Ok having given these three sufficient serious listening I can confidently state that all three may be in my year end top 10 and Knifeworld is a candidate for top spot.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: bloodnarfer
Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 12:00
I feel like I'm just getting started on 2014 but so far my top ten would be something along these lines:
Swans - To Be Kind
Sunn O)) / Ulver - Terrestrials
Liars - Mess
Sorne - House of Death: Book 1
Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestite
Antemasque - s/t
Knifeworld - The Unraveling
St Vincent - S/t
Thee Silver Mt Zion Memorial Orchestra - F**k Get Free Pour Light On Stuff Something long name idk

Right now I'm looking forward to Coffins on Io the most!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ramza1316" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/user/ramza1316
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 13:47
I'm waiting to listen to To Be Kind in its entirety until I buy it. I expect it to land pretty high on my list. Otherwise, my favorite releases this year are:
(for sure to be on my top ten list)
Parquet Courts— Sunbathing Animal
Real Estate— Atlas
Liars— Mess
Cloud Nothings— Here and Nowhere Else

(also enjoyed)
Valentin Stip— Sigh
Future Islands— Singles
St. Vincent— S/t. Vincent

These are the ones that have lasted so far. I am very excited to hear To Be Kind, and the new Spoon and Interpol records. Need to check out more records though. I want to give more artists the benefit of financial support if I listen to their albums, but it does restrict how many albums I can actually listen to.

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Posted By: Jbird
Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 15:52
I can't say that I've picked up many proggy albums at all this year so far.

The new Vanden Plas... the new Teramaze is slightly proggy-metal...the new Alcest...I think that's about it.

So my favorite album so far for 2014 is probably Within Temptation - Hydra.

I'm sure that will change though, maybe by next week what with the new Eluveitie album coming out. And the the new Threshold & the new Opeth....

Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 23:36
Originally posted by Dean Watson Dean Watson wrote:

Thomas,

I too am honoured to be on your list!

Dean.

You can only blame yourself, Dean LOL

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 20:54
I'm going to give a shout out to the new Spoon record which is really fantastic. It's only flaw is that it doesn't really have a low point in energy. It's like song after song and had they included a ballad-y song in the second half, the album would have had that much more punch.

-------------

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 03:33
IQ-The Road Of Bones
Surely going to be featured among the top ten albums of year in year-end ranking list..

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 14:07
Hi,

I don't have a list!

I can't even come up with the right words to review the Djam Karet's album. I like it a lot, but the words aren't quite there yet!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 15:54
I was listening to Knifeworld's new album a few times this past two days and I'm loving it for sho!
Definitely better then their Clairvoyant Fortnight EP.

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 16:44
Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

... the new Teramaze is slightly proggy-metal...
My thoughts exactly, this is why they have been rejected for inclusion.

Maybe one album to check for the post-metallers out there is Telepathy's 12 Areas

Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 21:31
I have to say I am friggin' excited for new Cymbals Eat Guitars.

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2014 at 08:51
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Thanks for including us Scott (Rushfan4)! Smile Ken (from Monarch Trail)

Posted By: musitron
Date Posted: August 13 2014 at 14:31
Anathema -
Archive - Axiom
Black Keys - Turn blue (contains a couple of prog song)
IQ - The road of bones
Mike Oldfield - Man on the rock (2013 or 2014?)
Opeth
Tim Bowness - Abandoned dancehall
Pineapple Thief
RPWL

-------------
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dark Side Radio - Best new Prog 2015 mixed with good old stuff. - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun

Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 11:07
Not on PA but a top contender for AOTY is Boris new album 'Noise'. Damn that thing is a beauty. The guitar solo during the 18 min cut Angel is quite simply out if this world. Folks with a penchant for heavy and psychedelic music, at times with a crunchy post rock twist, should definitely look into this thing.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 15:17

Updated list, turning out to be a great year

1. Knifeworld - The Unravelling
2. Univers Zero - Phosphorescent Dreams
3. Atomic Ape - Swarm
4. Sonar - Static Motion
5. Bob Drake - Lawn Ornaments
6. Stars In Battledress - In Droplet Form
7. Rabbit Rabbit Radio - Vol 2, Swallow Me Whole
8. Arch Garrison - I Will Be A Pilgrim
9. Jack O' The Clock - Night Loops
10. Swans - To Be Kind
11. Ut Gret - Ancestors Trail
12. Node - Node 2
13. Accordo Dei Contrari - AdC
14. Led Bib - The People In Your Neighbourhood
15. Susan Clynes - Life Is...
16. Factor Burzaco - 3
17. Filthy Habits Ensemble - Plays Stravinsky: L'Histoire du Soldat Live at Jamboree
18. Animals As Leaders - The Joy of Motion

-------------
Ian

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 17:18

Not on PA but a top contender for AOTY is Boris new album 'Noise'. Damn that thing is a beauty. The guitar solo during the 18 min cut Angel is quite simply out if this world. Folks with a penchant for heavy and psychedelic music, at times with a crunchy post rock twist, should definitely look into this thing.
Boris is such a great band.  I only recently got "Noise", so I haven't listened to it many times, but it's proving to be another fine album from them.

My favorite album of 2014 is the Ariel Pink album due out in November (it's finished already) Cool
Premature statement? Maybe.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: PJ20
Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 05:53

okay, mine is the most commercial :P.. GHOST STORIES- Coldplay. :D

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 08:48
New Ariel Pink album?
Well shiver me timbers! Soooo much new music coming that I want to check out, and that also includes Sun O)))s collaboration with Scott Walker, which is coming next month methinks.

Oh and that Boris album really went down like a treat today (just like yesterday). It's a bit of everything thrown together. I hear parts from all over their career only here condensed into one seemingly together record. I really dig that.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 09:32
Yeah, there's so many sure-to-be-good-or-at-least-interesting releases this fall. I still need to check out new Boris. I've only recently gotten into them.

-------------

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 09:52
Thanks for the Boris rec, Noise is really excellent.

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 10:14
Cheers. 
Plus I figure there at least is a couple of Boris fans on here. They're not that far off some of the artists we've got under our belt here on PA.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 10:16

Cheers. 
Plus I figure there at least is a couple of Boris fans on here. They're not that far off some of the artists we've got under our belt here on PA.

Yeah I knew Colin (Triceratopsoil) is a big fan, but I never got around to checking them out until now.

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 10:30
Better late than never eh. 
Anyways, if you're looking for new Boris albums, then be sure to check out Pink, Heavy Rocks, Flood and my own personal fave Rainbow, which is a collaboration with Ghost guitarist Michio Kurihara.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 11:19
Thanks

Posted By: musitron
Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 11:25
Originally posted by PJ20 PJ20 wrote:

okay, mine is the most commercial :P.. GHOST STORIES- Coldplay. :D

Yes but that album is disappointing no?

-------------
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dark Side Radio - Best new Prog 2015 mixed with good old stuff. - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 15:23

<BLOCKQUOTE ="post restore ">

Updated list, turning out to be a great year

1. Knifeworld - The Unravelling2. Univers Zero - Phosphorescent Dreams3. Atomic Ape - Swarm4. Sonar - Static Motion5. Bob Drake - Lawn Ornaments6. Stars In Battledress - In Droplet Form7. Rabbit Rabbit Radio - Vol 2, Swallow Me Whole8. Arch Garrison - I Will Be A Pilgrim9. Jack O' The Clock - Night Loops10. Swans - To Be Kind11. Ut Gret - Ancestors Trail12. Node - Node 213. Accordo Dei Contrari - AdC14. Led Bib - The People In Your Neighbourhood15. Susan Clynes - Life Is...16. Factor Burzaco - 317. Filthy Habits Ensemble - Plays Stravinsky: L'Histoire du Soldat Live at Jamboree18. Animals As Leaders - The Joy of Motion

<DIV =after_>
<BLOCKQUOTE ="signature restore">
<DIV =signaturecontainer>

Interesting.

I'd say our tastes align pretty well (perhaps something like 80%...but who the hell knows how I'm coming to that figure) but of the 13 out of the 18 that I know and/or have heard only 3 will probably be in my top 15 come the end of the year (unless there is a surprise listen that explodes my eardrums, which is always possible).

(Those three...Node, Led Bib, Factor Burzaco)

-------------

Posted By: adace1
Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 15:54
Lots of favorites this year:
Opeth - Pale Communion
Mastodon - Once More Round the Sun
Epica - The Quantum Enigma
Animals as Leaders - The Joy of Motion
Triptykon - Melana Chasmata
Alcest - Shelter
Woods of Desolation - As the Stars
Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
Lantlos - Melting Sun
Devin Townsend - Casualties of Cool
Saor - Aura
Blues Pills - Blues Pills
Accept - Blind Rage
The Oath - The Oath
Agalloch - The Serpent and the Sphere
Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden
Grand Magus - Triumph and Power
Septicflesh - Titan
Iced Earth - Plagues of Babylon

Looking forward to:
Pink Floyd - The Endless River
Threshold - For the Journey
Devin Townsend - Z2
Electric Wizard - Time to Die
The Contortionist - Language
Amaranthe - Massive Addictive
While Heaven Wept - Suspended at Aphelion

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/adace/?chartstyle=lastfmblue">

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 16:45
My favourites:
Astrolabio - L'Isolamento Dei Numeri Pari
Opeth - Pale Communion

I also enjoy very much:
Logos - L'Enigma Della Vita
Synaesthesia - Same

-------------

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 17:26
Just listened to Trioscapes' latest...and boy did it shoot right to the top of my list. Bloody wonderful.

-------------

Posted By: Soul Dreamer
Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 18:54
Outstanding this year

IQ - THE ROAD OF BONES

Others I like (a.o.) and not mentioned

Lee Abraham - Distant Days
Vanden Plas - Chronicles of the Immortals - Netherworld

-------------
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 01:30
add ons to my previous list. 

Tim Bowness- Abandoned Dancehall Dreams (2CD)

Oldfield- Man on the Rocks (2CD)

Margin- Psychedelic Teatime

Minor Giant-On the Road

Soup- The Beauty of our Youth

The Healing Road- Birdbrains Travels

Abel Ganz- same

Kaukasus- Same

Anubis- Hitchhiking to Byzantium

Colin Mold- Now You See Me…

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:00
Updating my list:

Original:
"Agusa - Högtid (thrilling instrumental throwback album with nods to Kebnekaise, Fläsket Brinner and the early Swedish proggers) 
Fire! Orchestra - Enter (more big band jazz prog from an absolute stellar act, which is getting a fair amount of attention in Scandinavia) 
Watter - This World (Zak Riles off my beloved Grails partakes in a wonderfully soaring and psychedelic post rock album with one Britt Walford (Slint) sounding as fresh as a chilled Beduin riding a yak convertible) 
Wovenhand - Refractory Obdurate (the perpetual doom folkers go for a more tangible rock feel) 
Current 93 - I Am The Last Of All The Field That Fell (A Channel) - (avant folk with a bit of everything thrown in the mix. Sharp, edgy and still delightfully melodic in it's delivery)"

Ulver/Sun O))) - Terrestrials (Slow larvalling music with fantastic production and just the right amount of emotional karthasis to detract from the otherwise stagnant drone universe)
Alcest - Shelter (I forgot about this one in my OP. Not an ounce of metal in this bugger, but that doesn't matter. Shelter focuses on the beautiful and airy - the ethereal part of the Alcest equation, and it works.)
Major Parkinson - Twilight Cinema (Genuine Long John Silver prog with pirates and knives, electronics, a wee bit of Gentle Giant and you're nearly there. Goes well together with rum and parrots.)
Richard Pinhas & Oren Ambarchi - Tikkun (Intergalactic feedback monsters recorded live on different continents. Disturbing, distorted, beautiful and soaring.)

Oh and an early premonition: Goat - Commune (Swedish undercover agents doing a modern Krautrock take on The Residents, Tishoumaren (Tuareg blues) and old school funk. Incredibly melodic and accessible yet without ever losing it's 'edge'. Let's hope this album is all of this plus more! The debut was absolutely stunning.)

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 10:30
Still no Swans, David?

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 10:39
Nope not yetOuch

I figure I'll get to it sooner or later though. It's definitely high on my list, but then again so are a dozen othersLOL I literally can't control myself, when it comes to music. 
Maybe I'll get it alongside the new Scott Walker / Sun O))) collab. I figure both will have to be bought through an American vendor anyhoo.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 10:42
I've actually gotten and seen TBK at many record shops, was really excited. Hope you enjoy it soon - but then again i should stop talking it up to prevent that letdown feeling when you finally listen. Ouch

YOUR NAME IS f**k, f**k, f**k

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 10:46
Ahh don't worry. I don't think it's possible to talk it more up than it already isTongue

I have actually spotted it in shops, but the price tag was a little too disturbing for my tastes. LPs are made of vinyl yes? Not sapphires. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: King Manuel
Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 12:33
1. IQ - Road of Bones
2. Magnum - Escape from the shadow garden
3. Anathema - Distant Satellites
4. Perfect Beings - Perfect beings
5. Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope

-------------
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 12:58
I was going to buy TBK the other day (at the only record place in town). I couldn't find it, unfortunately, so I may end up ordering it online. 

-------------

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 17:57

Q-- The Road Of Bones
Hibernal--Replacements

What a face and talent Big smileEmbarrassed

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 21:54

Accordo Dei Contrari - AdC
Bob Drake - Lawn Ornament

Ok having given these three sufficient serious listening I can confidently state that all three may be in my year end top 10 and Knifeworld is a candidate for top spot.

Thanks for this key recommendation. KNIFEWORLD would never have crossed my radar screen but I am LOVING it! Awesomely fresh!

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: floflo79
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 03:08
The great albums of 2014 for me :

Clearlight - Impressionist Symphony
Karfagen - Magician's Theater
Druckfarben - Second Sound
Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope
Opeth - Pale Communion
Glass Hammer - Ode To Echo
Mostly Autumn - Dressed In Voices
Mastodon - Once More Round The Sun

And the worst :
Major Parkinson - Twilight Cinema
IQ - The Road Of Bones
Ange - Emile Jacotey Ressurection
ACT - Circus Pandemonium

-------------

Date Posted: September 02 2014 at 21:13
Found out that Devin Townsend is releasing ZILTOID 2 on OCT/31st.
This guy has been so busy the last 7 years, but anyway I bet I'm gonna love this album a great deal and it should crack my ten easy. 2 album releases in 1 year!

-------------

Date Posted: September 03 2014 at 20:19
Sampling some albums in this thread. I've found much of it hard to connect with, but Swans, Boris, Agalloch, and Wovenhand sound promising. Going to purchase TBK tonight I think.

-------------

Date Posted: September 04 2014 at 04:15
^Nice to see Wovenhand getting a mention. That last album of theirs is really great. Maybe it's the psychedelic and more rocking edge of it, but it really works for them. An act I'd sort of forgotten about for a couple of releases that sounded much too similar. 

On another note: There's a new Siinai album out called SupermarketBig smile 
Hot damn!!!! I had no idea until Matti just added the album to our database, so yeah THANK YOU Matti! 
Wow...I really dig these guys. Their debut album received quite a number of reviews worldwide - mostly due to it being called Olympic Games and being released around the same time as the Games visited London. Their sophomore release was a collab with Moonface, and took their punchy and swirling post-rock meets Krautrock and mixed it with the dark romanticism of the 80s - Bowie vocals and all. Fantastic album really. 
Really looking forward to hear where these guys are going next....although I have a sneaking suspicion that they've moved a wee bit back towards their initial sound.
Anyways, here's a tune off it called http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeBrV4KYZXM" rel="nofollow - Shopping Trance , if you're intrigued.   

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: September 04 2014 at 06:04
Polymorphia, I like yr taste!

Mine ones are so far:

Truckfighters - Universe
Greenleaf - Trails & Passes
Sun Kil Moon - Benji
Swans - To Be Kind
Post War Glamour Girls - Pink Fur
Peter Murphy - Lion
IQ - The Road of Bones
Young Widows - Easy Pain
Owen Pallett - In Conflict
Die Nerven - Fun
Anubis - Hitchhiking To Byzantium
Umor - Held Us Silent For A Moment
Morrissey - World Peace Is None of Your Business
Mastodon - Once More 'round the Sun

some more picks:

The Chant - New Haven
Get Your Gun - The Worrying Kind
Lucifer In The Sky With Diamonds - The Shining One
Pallbearer - Foundations Of Burden
Drones of North America - s/t
Wild Beasts - Present Tense
Topple - A House that Jack Built
Landskap - I
Sivert Hoyem - Endless Love
The Hotelier - Home, Like No Place Is There
Agalloch - The Serpent & the Sphere
Atmosphere - Southsiders
Agusa - Hogtid
Psalm Zero - The Drain
Bird - My Fear and Me
Saor — Aura
Nasheim - Solens Vemod
Oubliette - Apparitions
Skogen - I Doden
Elbow - The Take Off And Landing Of Everything
Burrow - Mother
Dream The Electric Sleep - Heretics
Creepoid - s/t
Linda Perhacs - The Soul Of All Natural Things
The Skull Defekts - Dances In Dreams Of The Known Unknown
Aleph Null - Nocturnal
The Kindred - Life In Lucidity
Zaum - Oracles
Me Versus I – Following Feathers
Motorpsycho - Behind The Sun
Nothing – Guilty of Everything
A Silver Mt Zion - f**k Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything
Deluge Grander- Heliotians
We All Die (Laughing) - Thoughtscan
Behemoth - The Satanist
Impure Wilhelmina - Black Honey
Child - s/t
Nicole Saboune - Must Exist
Kamchatka - The Search Goes On
Royksopp & Robyn - Do It Again EP
The Roots - …And Then You Shoot Your Cousin
Sleepy Sun - Maui Tears
The Graviators - Motherload
Nicole Dollanganger - Observatory Mansions
Katatonia - Kocytean EP
Sharon Van Etten - Are We There
Birth Of Joy - Prisoner
Druckfarben - Second Sound
Apart From This - Spinning EP
Antemasque - s/t
DeWolff - Grand Southern Electric
The Antlers - Familiars
Nick Mulvey - First Mind
Stone Cold Boys - One Minute Made Man EP
Manchester Orchestra - Cope
LogoS - L`Enigma Della Vita
Fuchs - The Unity Of Two Papir - IIII
Barzin - To Live Alone In That Long Summer
Los Random - Pidanoma
Need - Orvam: A Song of Home
D'accord - III
Nux Vomica - s/t Pree Tone - Brights EP Kriegsmaschine - Enemy Of Man
Ethereal Riffian - Aeonian
Dirge - Hyperion
Synaesthesia - s/t
Gem Club - In Roses
Planet Of Zeus - Vigilante
1000mods - Vultures
Strand of Oaks - Heal
Sunn O))) Ulver - Terrestrials
United Nations - The Next Four Years
The Afghan Whigs - Do The Beast
Cormorant - Earth Diver
The Astronauts - Hollow Ponds
Pree Tone - Wild Highs EP
Cymbals Eat Guitars - Lose
Prawn - Kingfisher
Russian Red - Agent Cooper
Thomas Doncourt - The Mortal Coil
Yob - Clearing The Path To Ascend
FKA twigs - LP1
We Insist! - s/t
FreddeGredde - Brighter Skies

Date Posted: September 04 2014 at 06:21
Damn that's quite a list! 
If I had that kind of dough to spend on new releases, I'd be a happy bunnyBig smile

On an unrelated note; it seems as if this one
is dividing people even more that their first couple of albums did. Metal heads eh?LOL 
It used to be "You can't put dreamy floating thangs in metal!!!!!"
Now it's more "Where's the freakin' metal in the dreamy floating thangs?!?!?!!"

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: September 04 2014 at 07:41
It's been a decent year for prog but nothing has really blown me away so far (though I'll concede I am a little behind.  I really like the new Opeth album and the releases by IQ, Mostly Autumn and Transatlantic warrant a mention.

However the best new album I've heard this year is not on PA, it's Reachy Prints by UK electronic band Plaid. The track Hawkmoth is simply one of the best pieces of music I've ever heard.  If anybody out there likes their progressive electronic music from the IDM school but with a very proggy influence you could do a lot worse than to check this out.  Dave, knowing your taste, this might be right up your street if you're not already familiar with it.

Date Posted: September 04 2014 at 07:46
Nah it's news to me, so thanks for thatBig smile Sounds like it's right up my alley.

Btw Have you checked out Siinai yet? I posted a track by them in here earlier today called Shopping Trance. I think you'd like it. Very nice electronics indeed.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 04 2014 at 07:48
I can't listen from the pc I'm on at the moment unfortunately but I will definitely check that out.  Thanks for the recomm Thumbs Up

Date Posted: September 04 2014 at 07:49
CheersBeer

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 05 2014 at 04:46
^Yeah, I like that Dave, nice, repetitive and quite hypnotic - had me head nodding most of the way through.  I will look into them properly.  The video is pretty hilarious too. Cheers Cool.

Date Posted: September 05 2014 at 05:49
Cool! Now we're three people on PA who've heard of SiinaiLOL

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: WarmUp Man
Date Posted: September 08 2014 at 07:17
new Tim Bowness anyone? Currently available at progstreaming

Date Posted: September 09 2014 at 21:26
Swans. That is all.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk