Print Page | Close Window

Is anyone excited about the new Pink Floyd album?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99135
Printed Date: June 22 2018 at 00:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Is anyone excited about the new Pink Floyd album?
Posted By: Billy Pilgrim
Subject: Is anyone excited about the new Pink Floyd album?
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 02:27
Well, is anyone? Pink Floyd will be releasing a new album later this year, and for something that feels so monumental, I've heard very little about it since the announcement. I know that it was originally supposed to be an album of previously unreleased material from the Division Bell years, with mostly ambient and instrumental material. Not the best news after hearing that one of the greatest bands of all time is releasing a new album. But now I read that Gilmour will be putting vocals on at least one track, and also is bringing in backup singers for the album. That could make this thing pretty cool, and either way, I'm fine with Pink Floyd when they write instrumental music, Marooned is one of my favorite songs they've done, I'm starting to get pretty excited about this, or at least trying to be. What do you guys think???

Replies:
Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 03:01
Has been discussed elsewhere. My answer is any new floyd is good floyd. Very happy they are continuing on despite the critics

-------------

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 04:01
Yes I do, but only because they said that it will be "back to basis".
I'm curious how it gonna to sound.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 06:03
I'm looking forward to it. I'll need to hear some before buying, but I'm cautiously optimistic. 

-------------
Ian

Anyone who thinks Kansas is Prog get out of the room - Adolf Hitler

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 06:13
Yeah I will listen to some before buying but this has great promise in a fairly tepid year for prog thus far

-------------

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 06:23
Not really but I want to hear it at some point.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: SmRanaldi
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 06:36
I will buy it, but I'm not excited. I fear they are releasing it only to earn some extra money... I won't consider it a real Pink Floyd album.

-------------
"At paranoia's poison door..."

Posted By: LSDisease
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 07:11
you must be kidding

-------------
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 07:28
Originally posted by SmRanaldi SmRanaldi wrote:

I will buy it, but I'm not excited. I fear they are releasing it only to earn some extra money... I won't consider it a real Pink Floyd album.

Nope, they're doing it as a tribute to Richard Wright.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 07:53
I'll be glad to hear it, and I don't see it as a cynical money-grab move, but I also realize that nothing they've done since Waters left the group has been particularly special - good, yes, but not special - so in that sense I'm not expecting a revelation, just hopefully another decent album.  I'd be fine with that.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 08:12
No not excited at all.

I want to hear it, but I don't expect the earth to move for me.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 08:19
Can't be worse than recent Yes albums

Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 08:26
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

New Yes' cd is a great crossover prog imo.

Posted By: SmRanaldi
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 10:29
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Nope, they're doing it as a tribute to Richard Wright.

Maybe it is, and maybe it will be a very good album. I'll judge after having listened to it, but I'm not very optimistic about this particular album.

-------------
"At paranoia's poison door..."

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 15:40
Not really............

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 15:48
Originally posted by SmRanaldi SmRanaldi wrote:

The innumerable reissues and box sets were done for money. This one is done for profit.

Posted By: musitron
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 16:21
Yes I am. I just hope it will be better than The Final Cut. It is probably the real last Pink Floyd.

-------------
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dark Side Radio - Best new Prog 2015 mixed with good old stuff. - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 17:27
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Not really but I want to hear it at some point.

Same. Haven't liked anything since "The Wall" (which isn't that amazing either IMO), so my hopes aren't too high on this one either. Looking forward to the Genesis documentary (and KC's reunion) much more.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 17:34
nope

not at all

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 17:38
I've been getting into a lot of new artists this year, so I am in no hurry.  Hope it turns out to be good though.  I liked The Division Bell.

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 21:31
I am excited about it. When I read it some weeks ago it really made my day... actually, I couldn't believe it and had to re-read it and read it again in other posts or sources to be convinced, for I thought it was just sensationalist news. But it was true all right. I have really liked what they have done with Gilmour at the front, and since this one seems bound to have a greater input from Wright since a long time (since ever, perhaps), I guess that is bound to be good too.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 22:51
Prog snobs some of ya!! F&$k yeah I am excited.

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 22:58
Yes.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: July 30 2014 at 23:38
Only if it's gonna be a classic, so ... no. Without Rick ... .

-------------
"Books were only one type of receptacle where we stored a lot of things we were afraid we might forget. There is nothing magical in them at all. The magic is only in what books say, ... ."

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 31 2014 at 00:33
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Not really............

Date Posted: July 31 2014 at 19:00
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

True. Probably better than latter Yes albums too honestly.

Date Posted: July 31 2014 at 19:01
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I've been getting into a lot of new artists this year, so I am in no hurry.  Hope it turns out to be good though.  I liked The Division Bell.

Division Bell was alright, better than AMLOR, and High Hopes is a classic Pink Floyd song. I'm looking forward to the album, and trying not to place too high of expectations on it.

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: July 31 2014 at 19:41
Here's a preview of what's on the album:

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Date Posted: July 31 2014 at 19:53
^ I like, doesn't at all feel like the weird pop thing they were doing at times on Division Bell... Of course, it is only a minute and fifteen seconds, but still, promising, nice find Thumbs Up

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: July 31 2014 at 20:06
^sounds like an alternate version of that such beautiful excerpt from High Hopes, interesting to check out the final result, but to be honest the original section of my fave from DB (HH) sounds much more "symphonic like" to me, I prefer pretty much that original one.

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: AreYouHuman
Date Posted: July 31 2014 at 20:18
Nice excerpt. Cautious optimism for me though.

-------------
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: July 31 2014 at 21:15
Can't wait anymore now...

Date Posted: July 31 2014 at 21:43
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Only if it's gonna be a classic, so ... no. Without Rick ... .

Actually, Rick is part of the band here. The album is meant to be some sort of homage to him, and uses recordings that haven't been used before. Actually, this album might as well have more writing credits from him than most other Floyd albums... we'll just have to wait and see.

Date Posted: July 31 2014 at 23:51
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

^sounds like an alternate version of that such beautiful excerpt from High Hopes, interesting to check out the final result, but to be honest the original section of my fave from DB (HH) sounds much more "symphonic like" to me, I prefer pretty much that original one.

I agree.....disappointed with a 12" take on High HopesShocked

I am gonna wait but thanks for the link whoever posted it....

-------------

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 04:57

Sounds just fine to me.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 09:53
Hi,

Haven't even heard anything yet.

If it is instrumental it will be fine. As long as they don't turn it into a pop song or something like it, I will be fine with the out takes, except those from their toilet!

-------------
... none of the hits, none of the time ... now you know what the art is all about!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Roland113
Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 12:40
I am decidedly unexcited.  I realize that they're dubbing this as a tribute to Richard Wright, but there is a huge part of me that is thinking 'If Richard Wright wanted this to have been released why didn't they release it when he was still alive'.  It's almost like Mr. Wright resisted the release of the material but when he no longer had any input, it was put together.

I'll listen to it, but excited, no.

-------------
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a ten year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 15:22
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Sounds just fine to me.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....zzzzzzzzzz...Wake me when it's over...ZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 16:59
^ sounds a bit like a 4am Ibiza chillout outtake, do like the bass though

-------------

Posted By: The Mystical
Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 18:02
I am really excited. Pink Floyd has always been a favourite of mine, including late Pink Floyd.

-------------
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 00:56
Not hugely excited but not indifferent either.  Will definitely listen to it when it comes out, but I don't have high hopes, really (pun intended).

Posted By: Queen By-Tor
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 00:57
I'll give it at least a spin! I am nervous about it but will listen with open ears

Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 10:43
Hi,

If you have editing facilities and a really good DAW, one of these days, take 3 PF albums, and SEPARATE the keyboards from the rest of the band and lyrics.

You will be totally surprised and amazed at what you hear, which is usually very different, and not rock, pop, jazz or anything else music related many many many times ... they are a sort of ambient, weird, strange and sometimes amazing sound that floats through.

I, sincerely, DOUBT that any of these things will ever be heard by anyone that is a "FAN" of the band, and find the incredible individuality that the band had from its 4 members, which made it the special band that it was. You can even take some of the moments from his solo albums, and you know that he left behind 100's of those moments that might be used, and might never be used!

I appreciate Dave putting these out and such, but in the end, I much more miss the "space" that Rick added to the PF music that is not always appreciated because all we can think is of a rock song!

-------------
... none of the hits, none of the time ... now you know what the art is all about!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 12:51
I am. I've been thinking about it and any Division Bell sessions unheard by my ears makes me very interested.
I absolutely love Pink Floyd and the fact that they are gonna dedicate this album to Richard Wright makes it even more momentous and epic.

It's just too bad that waters and Gilmour still can't join forces. The hate is strong between those two.

-------------
Raving and drooling I leaned on his neck with a screeeeeeeamm! ;)

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 13:43
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I am. I've been thinking about it and any Division Bell sessions unheard by my ears makes me very interested.
I absolutely love Pink Floyd and the fact that they are gonna dedicate this album to Richard Wright makes it even more momentous and epic.

It's just too bad that waters and Gilmour still can't join forces. The hate is strong between those two.

I think the "hate" part is over. Dave even did a couple of his Wall shows. And so did Nick. The problem is that Roger won't have a lot to add to it, other than lyrics, or want to add anything but lyrics, I would imagine, and not simply just enjoy the moment and add the bass to the work.

I think that we will be surprised and that Roger will show up and have a nickname and no one will know who that is.

It doesn't matter to me. Pink Floyd has nothing to release or prove to me anymore, and I don't need 20 more minutes of something to tell me what I have already heard and known all along. I would be surprised if there is anything "new" here.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 15:16
Not even a little bit

-------------
There is no act more pretentious and self-indulgent than labeling another's art as pretentious and self-indulgent.
Always copy to clipboard before clicking Post Reply.

Posted By: uvtraveler
Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 10:21
If they put it on Spotify, I'll check it out there first.  If Waters and Gilmour aren't together, it will probably not be the type of Pink  Floyd recording that will interest me. 

Posted By: Tuzvihar
Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 11:48
Shocked This is the first time that I read about it! And:

Originally posted by uvtraveler uvtraveler wrote:

If Waters and Gilmour aren't together, it will probably not be the type of Pink  Floyd recording that will interest me. 

Ditto!

-------------

Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 20:16
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I am. I've been thinking about it and any Division Bell sessions unheard by my ears makes me very interested. I absolutely love Pink Floyd and the fact that they are gonna dedicate this album to Richard Wright makes it even more momentous and epic. It's just too bad that waters and Gilmour still can't join forces. The hate is strong between those two.

I think the "hate" part is over. Dave even did a couple of his Wall shows. And so did Nick. The problem is that Roger won't have a lot to add to it, other than lyrics, or want to add anything but lyrics, I would imagine, and not simply just enjoy the moment and add the bass to the work.

I think that we will be surprised and that Roger will show up and have a nickname and no one will know who that is.

It doesn't matter to me. Pink Floyd has nothing to release or prove to me anymore, and I don't need 20 more minutes of something to tell me what I have already heard and known all along. I would be surprised if there is anything "new" here.

I feel 'the Floyd' have nothing to prove to me as well either. They have a very well established and lavish discography to my ears. They have around 7 albums albums that I absolutely adore. Not many bands have that with me.
Anyway. It's exciting to get some new material out in the open.
Even if its terrible I won't be pissed.

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 21:05
Is anyone excited about this topic?

Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 21:06
As I have said before, I do am excited about this. However, I just thought about a risk here. For me, Pink Floyd had ended their discography on a very high note, Division Bell being among my favourite Floyd albums, and High Hopes being a really wonderful swansong... also, one of my favourite songs from them. Now, there's the risk for them to end with a not so stron effort. I hope this is not the case, of course.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 01:11
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

not me

BUT given they are stinking rich I assume this is not just some money making exercise and it will have genuine interesting music. I'll wait and see what the consensus is about it . Floyd were never my favourite band although WYWH and Animals are well up on my own list of best prog albums.

Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 01:56
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I seriously generally am.

-------------

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 04:38
If the River maintains the level of competence of the AMLOR and Division Bell, I'll definitely buy it. I just hope it's no longer than 45 minutes (had the Bell not dragged on for 67 minutes, it would have been a lot  easier album to absorb and enjoy in one sitting).  

The lyrics is probably going to be a problem nonetheless. Anyone would find it very hard to step into Waters' shoes, even the best lyricists out there, much less a Polly Samson. I therefore hope they'll stick to instrumentals as much as possible to avoid degrading the overall experience with trite poetic imagery and stumbling flow of rhyme and rhythm.  

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 04:50
Not really, to be honest. I'lle probably check the reviews on PA and then think about it.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 06:32
I'm curious as all-hell. I'm sure it will be something special.
.........and I do hope it will be a winner, and all the nay-sayers can eat their words. I can't, for the life of me, believe that Gilmour and Co. would release inferior product. If it ends up resembling the instrumental work of On An Island, I'll be in Heaven.

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 07:56
When you are on the cusp of being a septuagenarian, even a hot beverage can get you excited. Irrelevant old farts threaten to release an album and clueless young c.u.n.t.s consider the excitement quotient? Nah.(unless you're an accountant)  If Rawk has taught us anything it's that maybe everyone has a shelf-life.

-------------

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 11:23
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

If you have editing facilities and a really good DAW, one of these days, take 3 PF albums, and SEPARATE the keyboards from the rest of the band and lyrics.

You will be totally surprised and amazed at what you hear, which is usually very different, and not rock, pop, jazz or anything else music related many many many times ... they are a sort of ambient, weird, strange and sometimes amazing sound that floats through.

I, sincerely, DOUBT that any of these things will ever be heard by anyone that is a "FAN" of the band, and find the incredible individuality that the band had from its 4 members, which made it the special band that it was. You can even take some of the moments from his solo albums, and you know that he left behind 100's of those moments that might be used, and might never be used!

I appreciate Dave putting these out and such, but in the end, I much more miss the "space" that Rick added to the PF music that is not always appreciated because all we can think is of a rock song!

Good Point.

Posted By: Sinful
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 17:06
Any output from the band is welcome news, mostly I look forward to seeing the live show .

-------------
The Path is clear

Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 21:10
Originally posted by Sinful Sinful wrote:

Any output from the band is welcome news, mostly I look forward to seeing the live show .

Most likely there won't be any concerts after this, even less likely a tour. I believe the most we can hope for is Gilmour solo shows... and I don't think he would go out of Europe.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 00:22
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

When you are on the cusp of being a septuagenarian, even a hot beverage can get you excited. Irrelevant old farts threaten to release an album and clueless young c.u.n.t.s consider the excitement quotient? Nah.(unless you're an accountant)  If Rawk has taught us anything it's that maybe everyone has a shelf-life.
I take it you didn't enjoy On An Island then ??

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 12:00
Well,I suppose I am game for some new output by the band as long as Waters doesn't sing on any of it. His 'Hitch Hiking and Amused to Death albums were practically unlistenable because of this. Maybe a spoken word album from the remaining trio would be in order, perhaps on the life cycle of the larch.

Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 21:16
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

The chance must be given. I'm nit gonna put 'age' as a deciding factor here.

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 21:21
If it shows up on streaming I'll give it one listen.  I did that with Yes - Fly From Here.  It just didn't turn me on enough to get a copy.  The album cover looked cool. Smile

-------------

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 21:39
not really. 

-------------

Posted By: Prog 74
Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 16:02
Curious, but not expecting much

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 05:23
I wouldn't say excited, but I'm definitely interested in hearing how it comes out.

Posted By: Vic333
Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 14:43
There was a time in my life in which I would have been very excited. But, PF in general has lost my attention. Hopefully it'll be good, but I'm not expecting much. Don't think I'll even take the time to click back two pages to click on the YouTube album preview.

Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:01
Originally posted by Vic333 Vic333 wrote:

There was a time in my life in which I would have been very excited. But, PF in general has lost my attention. Hopefully it'll be good, but I'm not expecting much. Don't think I'll even take the time to click back two pages to click on the YouTube album preview.

I guess PF not being active for 20 years might have put a damper on things a little for some.

It's a long time for sure.

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:05
The best thing I've heard from any of the ol' buggers is the collab Gilmour did with The Orb from 2010. That was definitely a keeper!

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:13
^ DAVE! I haven't heard that one! What's that collab called?
I'd pick up in a heart beat. Those are some great forces joined. :)

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:17
What!?!?! Are you kidding me Nick!??? I thought you'd know this beauty:
and let me tell you, it really does age well. I am far more enamoured by it nowadays than back when i purchased my copy of it. Let it marinade a bit with you. It's not like it isn't great on first listen, but man it only gets better with each consecutive spin.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:26
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

What!?!?! Are you kidding me Nick!??? I thought you'd know this beauty:
and let me tell you, it really does age well. I am far more enamoured by it nowadays than back when i purchased my copy of it. Let it marinade a bit with you. It's not like it isn't great on first listen, but man it only gets better with each consecutive spin.

I'm not kidding. This one totally escaped me.
I feel a bit retarded right now, but hey at least I got something new and exciting to listen to.
I did phase out of the Cornish acid and ambient sounds for a few years at one point, but I don't think I should have missed this one. :)
Thank you kindly my friend.

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:41
Hey don't sweat itSmile 
I am continuously being puzzled by strange over-lapses of mine - including releases by my favourite artists.

You'll like it, if you dig Gilmour's guitar playing though. Be sure of that. On here you get to hear it teaming up with fluid oozing synth percolations - making for a very soothing listening experience. It does shift tempers on you - hitting something akin to IDM and acoustic rock balladry with David doing a bit of singing, and then at other times you get the full whack of electronics, synths and guitar making for an altogether different listening experience. One thing though. It's always smooth like a baby's bottom without ever becoming 'suave'.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: FunkyM
Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 19:08
Wikipedia says the "new" album is based on  unreleased material from the Division Bell era. I actually like the Division Bell, so I'm not pessimistic, exactly... Confused

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 20:01
The Division Bell.... meh....

My excitement level has gone way down.

-------------

Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 03:33
Originally posted by FunkyM FunkyM wrote:

Wikipedia says the "new" album is based on  unreleased material from the Division Bell era. I actually like the Division Bell, so I'm not pessimistic, exactly... Confused

Neither am I.

-------------

Posted By: tete
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 08:28
is more excited the Psicolorama album "Fear"

for FREE at

http://www.psicolorama.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - www.psicolorama.bandcamp.com

more imagination than the last Floyd, of course

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 11:21
Originally posted by tete tete wrote:

is more excited the Psicolorama album "Fear"

for FREE at

http://www.psicolorama.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - www.psicolorama.bandcamp.com

more imagination than the last Floyd, of course

Nooooooooooooooo.

-------------

Posted By: Sinful
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 19:23
I love the band , but the fact is that there has been nothing to compare to the output they had, even the live show is constantly the same old stuff. The one thing I would say would be Dave doing Echoes again on his last solo tour.

I had been lucky enough to see the last nite Echoes was ever done as PF in chicago on the MLOR tour, and it was glorious.

It was also a sad commentary on Dave as a performer, because the sad fact was that he was missing the lyrics nightly , which was the reason he stopped, even though he claimed  it was because he did not want to sing about albatrosses at the time.

-------------
The Path is clear

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: September 02 2014 at 12:51

Strange.....I used to stand in line at record shops on the day of release to pick up the latest Floyd album.  Now I have to find out about new Floyd albums thru the grapevine.

So, no, not excited.....the last real Floyd album, to me,  was Animals.  Still, I'll wait until my local library obtains a copy, then I'll give it a spin.  Not overly optimistic, especially over outtakes and unused ideas from a mediocre album.

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Date Posted: September 03 2014 at 05:53
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Strange.....I used to stand in line at record shops on the day of release to pick up the latest Floyd album.  Now I have to find out about new Floyd albums thru the grapevine.

So, no, not excited.....the last real Floyd album, to me,  was Animals.  Still, I'll wait until my local library obtains a copy, then I'll give it a spin.  Not overly optimistic, especially over outtakes and unused ideas from a mediocre album.

I've been getting more and more into the idea of a new Floyd album, but the bolded part of this post perfectly mirrors my own hesitations. I mean, how is the new album going to be anything else than material, which originally was dropped for the Division Bell? 
Then again, the description of ambient meets Gilmour blues really made me think of his collab with The Orb....hmmmm but then again, I have a hard time picturing how they could ever come up with something as fresh sounding as that album - especially without the electronics of The Orb........but dammit I hope I'm wrong!

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Kazza3
Date Posted: September 03 2014 at 06:23
But it's not outtakes from the Division Bell. It's separate material written and recorded around the same time (or slightly after), but being lengthy instrumentals/jams, was never intended for the Division Bell, and was instead a separate project called The Big Spliff.

Date Posted: September 03 2014 at 07:32

Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

I've been getting more and more into the idea of a new Floyd album, but the bolded part of this post perfectly mirrors my own hesitations. I mean, how is the new album going to be anything else than material, which originally was dropped for the Division Bell? 
Then again, the description of ambient meets Gilmour blues really made me think of his collab with The Orb....hmmmm but then again, I have a hard time picturing how they could ever come up with something as fresh sounding as that album - especially without the electronics of The Orb........but dammit I hope I'm wrong!

I think you are right, Dave. It's kind of hard to grasp the concept of anything really new or fresh that will come from Gilmour outside of what he's created with The Orb and of course, Pink Floyd.
Truth is I'm kind of expecting a very 90's ambient sounding album with a slight psyche/Prog rock edge to it.
I really enjoyed the Division Bell and it holds a lot of water for me, so sessions connected to that album? Well, you can count me in. I guess it all comes down to people who are a fan of the division Bell album or who are not to be genuinely excited about this album. How bad can it really be?

-------------

Date Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:19
I think you are right. It is basically a question of how much you care for Division Bell, an album which always left me a little cold tbh. I love High Hopes, but that's it really. Keep Talking is also quite good, but compared to the stuff they were dishing out back when they were patrons of the beard, it simply doesn't measure up.....at least not for me.
I have a couple of friends who absolutely adore Division Bell though, but they were always more into Floyd post Dark Side including Final Lute and Momentary Tats.
Personally I tend to go for the early stuff nowadays. More, Atom Heart Mother, Pompeii and Ummagumma are the ones I keep returning to.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:54
^ omg Pompei is amazing. I cranked that in my living room the other day. They play like Aliens during that time.

Also. Division Bell, I find, is a very mellow album and quite different from all other albums that are of course more Gilmour centric. I'm a fan of it. I'm surprised that you don't care for it as much. I honestly think its a pretty flawless album. Love th intro and the mellow ambient/rock fusings. It's brilliant.
I guess now I'm one of those guys who is excited for the release of Gilmour flavored Floyd.

May The Richard Wright dedication be a success.

-------------

Date Posted: September 03 2014 at 09:14
Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. 
Maybe the memory of Rick will empower the two remaining critters into playing like they were on fire.
Monsieur Wright certainly deserves a grand gesture, bless his soul. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: September 03 2014 at 11:42
I just hope that Gilmour friend and guitar maestro Phil Manzanera will have some input, he would provide a little grit and lunacy to the otherwise placid /ambient stuff that might be on the plate. But it will be crucial to hear the organ and synth work, as Wright was probably the most recognizable keyboard player in rock history. 
Excited, no. Curious, yes 

-------------
"The more I analyze the human race, the more I love my dog" Mme de Stael

Date Posted: September 03 2014 at 22:27

Maybe the memory of Rick will empower the two remaining critters into playing like they were on fire.

Given the description of the album of being very ambient-like, I really doubt they will be playing like they were on Fire. I would expect a more soothing and moody album.

Posted By: Blood Simple
Date Posted: September 05 2014 at 06:37
What a waste. Who needs SUCH Pink Floyd album?

Date Posted: September 05 2014 at 06:41
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Given the description of the album of being very ambient-like, I really doubt they will be playing like they were on Fire. I would expect a more soothing and moody album.

You can make ambient-like music on fireBig smile It was more meant as a state of mind when playing than anything else.
Klaus Schulze fx was on fire when he made Blackdance.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 05 2014 at 21:11

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

You can make ambient-like music on fireBig smile It was more meant as a state of mind when playing than anything else.
Klaus Schulze fx was on fire when he made Blackdance.

Well, then you might just as well get what you want. I'm not confident that I will get what I want, but I might just as well get something I'll truly enjoy anyway.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk