Print Page | Close Window

Do you read Prog magazine?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
Forum Description: Reviews of prog books, memorabilia, etc.
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99168
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 11:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Do you read Prog magazine?
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: Do you read Prog magazine?
Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 16:09
Do you read Prog Magazine put out in the UK by the Classic Rock group of magazines company called Team Rock? If so, what's your opinion of it.

Replies:
Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 16:10
Yes.

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 16:12
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Yes.

Ok, what do you think of it?

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 16:13
No. I used to read Progression Magazine (it's still around I think) but I haven't subscribed to it in years now. Used to look forward to that approximately every quarter (it was a little irregular in its publishing). Great mag though and fun read. I think upon discovering the internet though...and in particular, this site...

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 16:18
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Yes.

Ok, what do you think of it?
I just get it for the pictures...oh wait wrong subscription.

I enjoy reading the articles about the bands, and the reviews of the albums and somewhat the reviews of the gigs.  It loses a little bit in translation since it is England-based and therefore has many references to places and times in England that don't exist in the USA...I also enjoy the "free" CD samplers that are included.  I think it is too expensive though in comparison to US rock magazines...but aside from Progression, which is just issued quarterly, I am not aware of any other prog publications (that aren't on-line).  I also read the Classic Rock and AOR publications from them.  No interest in the Country and Blues publications.

-------------

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 16:50
^ Another one is the Classic Rock Society magazine, which is, despite its name, is mostly prog.

I have lost interest in printed magazines for several reasons (cost, content, non-modernisation).

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 17:13
I lost interest. I found it was focusing too heavily on Neo/Retro Prog bands, the old guard without really giving us any new information and the monoliths of the current scene, the type of prog bands I listen to were barely even mentioned.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 17:26
I buy a couple if there's anything of interest in them, but it's generally pretty boring. Plus I don't really like any of the other albums that are shown on there - anything good, I can find by PA's ratings so... not really

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 17:27
Subscribed electronically for a while. It didn't really hold my interest. Many of the articles were on bands that I wasn't really interested in. The layout drove me nuts - too much like a fanzine that a teenager would read.

Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 17:49
^ talking about fanzines, I used to buy the Greek version of Metal Hammer back in the days. Guess what? It still appears to have exactly the same age target audience..

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 18:02
No.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 18:40
a) Did this thread really need to be created in the Prog Lounge?
b) Did this thread really need to be created at all? - Why not just comment in the existing http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56892&PID=5013993#5013993" rel="nofollow - Prog Mag thread?

..and just to keep this fCensoreding post on fCensoreding topic: 

No I don't, it's written by muso-journalists, most of whom were quick to drop Prog like it was bag of dog crap as soon as Punk looked like becoming the lucrative 'flavour of the month' that would make them the doyens of the hack-world. They are to a man, a bunch of two-faced fCensoredkwitted, toading, snivelling shCensoredts. This mag is a tacky cash-in on a genre that survived in spite of a complete lack of support and out-right hostility of these hack-bozzos for the past 30 years. 

-------------
What?

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 01 2014 at 18:46
^ Wow - that's heavy st, man.......

Posted By: apps79
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 01:35
One of the oldest, commercially available, prog magazines, if not an archetypical one, still in life:

http://aciddragon.eu/index.htm" rel="nofollow - http://aciddragon.eu/index.htm

btw, its editor Thierry Sportouche was also involved in Anoxie and is still involved in Silver Lining.

-------------
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 03:17
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

b) Did this thread really need to be created at all? - Why not just comment in the existing http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56892&PID=5013993#5013993" rel="nofollow - Prog Mag thread?

No I don't, it's written by muso-journalists, most of whom were quick to drop Prog like it was bag of dog crap as soon as Punk looked like becoming the lucrative 'flavour of the month' that would make them the doyens of the hack-world. They are to a man, a bunch of two-faced fCensoredkwitted, toading, snivelling shCensoredts. This mag is a tacky cash-in on a genre that survived in spite of a complete lack of support and out-right hostility of these hack-bozzos for the past 30 years. 

I 'ad that Geoff Barton in the back of me cab, once.........

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 03:23
No but then I don't read much

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 08:01

I think it is too expensive though in comparison to US rock magazines...

I saw it in a Barnes & Noble a few days a go, and really really wanted to get it - but it was $15.00. No way am I spending fifteen bucks for a magazine, or anything over $5. Oh well...

Posted By: ExittheLemming
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 08:24

OK, the music press circa 76/77 re the maoist year zero Punk fervour as exemplified by Burchill, Parsons, Penman, Morley et al does not however disguise a musical Zeitgeist that was increasingly alienated from its consumer base. Throughout the ages people will continue to embrace sh*t music so sh*t journalism will never turn a demographic against a popular aesthetic. Yes, you can call the foregoing a gaggle of the worst c*nt sticks in history but you cannot cite an article where said  toadies lauded Prog or dropped same for the sake of expediency.. Fact is, most music journalists from that era where too young to have even  heard the likes of ELP. Yes. Genesis et al. (You gonna blame them for that?)

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 08:27
^That's why I created this thread. It needed it's own to contain this type of energy. Wink

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 08:42
I got a Prog Magazine from a friend, once.
I loved it, I must say.
Still, I wouldn't subscribe to it, because it costs a lot of money, which I'm more inclined to spent on... cd's, for instance.
Since I discovered ProgArchives, the need for paper magazines is not so big anymore.
But a fine magazine, no doubt!

Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 08:50
My take is that the magazine is useless for reading but I did get a great CD out of it one once which turned me on to a couple of groups like Mostly Autumn and some great prog metal groups that the Brits seem to be very high on. Seems like they dig prog metal more than we do in the States. Anyone from the UK care to comment on that or is it just an  illusion the magazine gives off.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 08:52
I have read it on and off over the years.....for me it depends on what the issue is about. If it has an interesting piece or two I might buy it. It does have nice pics and graphics but the stories are usually very basic and they tend to recycle the same artists.
As SG said they do have the odd cd sampler with some cool tracks.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 09:03
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

No. I used to read Progression Magazine (it's still around I think) but I haven't subscribed to it in years now. Used to look forward to that approximately every quarter (it was a little irregular in its publishing). Great mag though and fun read. I think upon discovering the internet though...and in particular, this site...

I used to read it ans subscribed for many years, but they got to irregular for me, and by the time I got the magazine, I had read about all the articles in other places. It was a good source to know new bands and their releases, but now it has become quite obsolete. 

Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 09:12

My take is that the magazine is useless for reading but I did get a great CD out of it one once which turned me on to a couple of groups like Mostly Autumn and some great prog metal groups that the Brits seem to be very high on. Seems like they dig prog metal more than we do in the States. Anyone from the UK care to comment on that or is it just an  illusion the magazine gives off.
The cover disc is essentially paid for by the artists and/or record labels (and the cover price of course). In this instance Inside/Out (owned by Century Media with world-wide distribution deal through EMI) plays the major part in that. The magazine will inevitably lean towards the artists and labels that pay the bills, hence the apparent emphasis on Progressive Metal. However Burning Shed also contribute to the cover discs to a lesser extend which goes some way to redressing the balance.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 09:24
^Ok, Thanks.

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 09:39
Magazines? I dropped nearly all my subscriptions years ago. The only subscription I maintain is National Geographic - Online access is free with a subscription and even more expensive if you forego the paper copy.

IMHO, magazines have been supplanted by fine sites like this one!

Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 09:47
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

OK, the music press circa 76/77 re the maoist year zero Punk fervour as exemplified by Burchill, Parsons, Penman, Morley et al does not however disguise a musical Zeitgeist that was increasingly alienated from its consumer base. Throughout the ages people will continue to embrace sh*t music so sh*t journalism will never turn a demographic against a popular aesthetic. Yes, you can call the foregoing a gaggle of the worst c*nt sticks in history but you cannot cite an article where said  toadies lauded Prog or dropped same for the sake of expediency.. Fact is, most music journalists from that era where too young to have even  heard the likes of ELP. Yes. Genesis et al. (You gonna blame them for that?)
Yes and no. Tony Parsons is 61, Paul Morley is 57, Julie Burchill and Ian Penman are both 55 - all four of them are "my generation" (ie older than you) and all grew up on a diet of Progressive Rock in their teenage years. At the time NME editor Nick Logan was ten years their senior - he was just as disparaging of the over-blown self-important, self-indulgence of Progressive Rock as they were, he hired them after all. The journalists that followed in their wake merely regurgitated the dribble they peddled and Progressive Rock still hasn't shaken off the mother-load of the crap that was thrown by these hacks in their personal scramble for 15 minutes in the limelight.

Radio DJ's such as John Peel and Annie Nightingale achieved their fame and following by supporting Progressive Rock through the 60s and 70s - look how quickly they jumped aboard the Punk bandwagon and turned their backs on those who they'd sucked up to in the previous decade.. 

Back then late night radio and the three major music newspapers (NME, Melody Maker & Sounds) were the only source of information about music trends - of course they fed off the zeitgiest but they also fed into it and were instrumental in propagation the of it (ie it wasn't a true zeitgiest). Even the notion that there was an increasing alienation between artist and consumer was something we only read about in the music press, none of us ever were, or ever will be, in a position to experience that first hand to be aware of it.

Do I blame them? No I don't. But will I forgive them? Certainly not.

-------------
What?

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 10:15

At the risk of sounding like a sad, ugly, tired old man ... I have to agree with Dean.

I think that some folks, like Dean, myself and others in this borad, WOKE up when the music was around, and we LEARNED to know the real music, NOT the fabricated popular articles that make Black Sabbath and Uriah Heep be more progressive or less metal or more hipnotic or less commercial ... etc ... etc ... etc ... and then yet another thread on the "fame" and "top ten" stuff!  I DID use to read Melody Maker way back when and it was mostly to see how the foreign bands did and where they were and to actually see everyone's reaction. I couldn't believe that MM was saying that Nektar was crap! That was my first clue!

We don't always "NEED" to read anything. All we do, and YOU CAN TOO, is open your EARS and LISTEN. In due time you will know the difference.

I'm not against these publications, but they are being way too selective about a handful of bands and they do not have the editorial ability or design to do anything but a fanzine about the same band that has been written before. IF, they did have a clue, some of the folks from this board and one or two other places on the Internet would get hired on the spot for their ability to know music, its history and be able to review it at the same time.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 12:04
I used to read it for free at the bookstore I worked at last year. In all honesty, I never found much value in those magazines. It wasn't anything you couldn't read or learn about online, and I despise magazine subscriptions.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 12:15
The only time I read a magazine of any sort is when I'm waiting to get a haircut. I guess the 60 year-old Russian barber is not into prog. He does like boobs though.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 12:46
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The only time I read a magazine of any sort is when I'm waiting to get a haircut. I guess the 60 year-old Russian barber is not into prog. He does like boobs though.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 12:51
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I lost interest. I found it was focusing too heavily on Neo/Retro Prog bands, the old guard without really giving us any new information and the monoliths of the current scene, the type of prog bands I listen to were barely even mentioned.

I never was subscribed but this seemed to be the trend every time i saw the new issue's cover. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Junges
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 14:52
No, because I can get information on the Internet.

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 15:40

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I never was subscribed but this seemed to be the trend every time I saw the new issue's cover.

We, actually, had to drive down to the LA area to get things like Melody Maker and ANYTHING that had information about the IMPORT bands in 1972/1973/1974 all the way to 1978 that my roomate and I did this at least once a month, as well as helping him get new material for his shows. Mostly we went to Moby Disk, Tower on the Strip and the Warehouse in Westwood at the time. For the magazines, there were a couple of really good magazine/paper stores that had everything from Europe ... !!!

But our main grace for getting into French, Italian, Spanish, German, Japanese and everything else was almost, exclusively, Moby Disk, as there were no distributors that did a whole lot of mailing in those days. This, btw, made for the showing of NEW MUSIC a heck of a lot more attractive, because no one had heard anything like it before, as opposed to today's ways, when everyone has heard everything and everyone is an expert on everything!

There were many nice things in it. I still have the foldout middle section of MM talking to PG about leaving Genesis and how disappointed he was with the general response to the work, including band members. 30 years later he is vindicated, but you felt like you saw an artist being stripped naked and beat down because of it. I did not feel his next work, the solo stuff was going to be that good, and the first album was not that positive for my tastes, but it was terrific all the same.

I still have several articles from the magazine.

Today, for example, I rely on mostly having to ignore the commentaries here, because it will interfere with my objective listen to YES, for example, or even King Crimson. You kinda have to learn to get your own FEEL for the music so you know how to review it, or it will always sound like something else, or a cheap version of something else on the top ten of the prog numbers. And that hurts the ability to identify positively and help an artist. It's like saying that Tchaikovsky sounds like Mozart because the violins sound the same, just playing different notes, and there is a few more of them in Tchaikovsky than Mozart ... and that is not really a good discussion about music and its development. Of course today a keyboard or organ still sounds the same, but that has nothing to do with the music of 50 years ago except for its "sound" ... and the sound is not the music, in general, though we get stuck to it so easily!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 18:12
Way to go Dean!

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 03:21
No...never got a chance to put my hands on any prog magazine..

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 12:47
nope, though i would love too, especially this month's issue.

-------------
Progrockdude

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 17:19
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I never was subscribed but this seemed to be the trend every time I saw the new issue's cover.

We, actually, had to drive down to the LA area to get things like Melody Maker and ANYTHING that had information about the IMPORT bands in 1972/1973/1974 all the way to 1978 that my roomate and I did this at least once a month, as well as helping him get new material for his shows. Mostly we went to Moby Disk, Tower on the Strip and the Warehouse in Westwood at the time. For the magazines, there were a couple of really good magazine/paper stores that had everything from Europe ... !!!

But our main grace for getting into French, Italian, Spanish, German, Japanese and everything else was almost, exclusively, Moby Disk, as there were no distributors that did a whole lot of mailing in those days. This, btw, made for the showing of NEW MUSIC a heck of a lot more attractive, because no one had heard anything like it before, as opposed to today's ways, when everyone has heard everything and everyone is an expert on everything!

There were many nice things in it. I still have the foldout middle section of MM talking to PG about leaving Genesis and how disappointed he was with the general response to the work, including band members. 30 years later he is vindicated, but you felt like you saw an artist being stripped naked and beat down because of it. I did not feel his next work, the solo stuff was going to be that good, and the first album was not that positive for my tastes, but it was terrific all the same.

I still have several articles from the magazine.

Today, for example, I rely on mostly having to ignore the commentaries here, because it will interfere with my objective listen to YES, for example, or even King Crimson. You kinda have to learn to get your own FEEL for the music so you know how to review it, or it will always sound like something else, or a cheap version of something else on the top ten of the prog numbers. And that hurts the ability to identify positively and help an artist. It's like saying that Tchaikovsky sounds like Mozart because the violins sound the same, just playing different notes, and there is a few more of them in Tchaikovsky than Mozart ... and that is not really a good discussion about music and its development. Of course today a keyboard or organ still sounds the same, but that has nothing to do with the music of 50 years ago except for its "sound" ... and the sound is not the music, in general, though we get stuck to it so easily!

And this has what to do with the posts you've quoted?

Absolute sod all I think is the answer.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 17:28

It's an illusion. It's also been sometime since I picked up a Prog magazine but in their first 1-2 years only once did they put a prog metal band onto the cover CD, and even then it was Haken's acoustic version of Black Seed, not the full electric version.

There have been precisely 2 attempts at a Prog Metal festival in this country, ProgPower UK was canceled before it's 3rd event and Fused before it's second. The audience you'd expect in the UK is about a quarter of the size of what turns up in Europe (Germany, Poland and the Netherlands pull in particularly large crowds) but the bands ask for the same amount of money so gigs tend to be few and far between, and home grown groups tend to struggle for support unless they have at least 1 already established member (probably from a Neo band).

The exceptions tend to be the more extreme bands. Opeth and Mastodon regularly tour here with big crowds, as did Isis before they split in 2010, but other acts tend to be few and far between with midling crowds. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 17:50
^ agreed.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 17:51
^ agreed.

Reasons for Opeth/Mastodon (and perhaps others indeed) tend to be the association to the 'metal' rather than the 'prog'.

Posted By: steve j
Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 15:40
I subscribe, so I can learn more.  Even though I loved Yes and Rush, I never realised to begin with that they had been pigeonholed as progressive rock; they were just interesting bands that I liked.  

There are a lot of good bands out there, and its not always obvious who they are.  

As an aside they did a top 100 this month, and the top 7 albums are very similar to the prog archives, same albums in a slightly different order.  

Posted By: The Polite Force
Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 09:37
I need to.

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 05:55
I used to but got tired of the expensive price and misinformed reviews.

-------------

Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 09:09
Nope. The only major international music magazine I read on a regular basis is Mojo. Recently also started reading Metalized, a Danish metal magazine that occasionally covers prog artists if they have some connection to the metal scene either through the music they play or their past affliations.

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Posted By: january4mn
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 10:04
I like the magazine. Lots of cool pictures and some good writing, a bit overly-sensationalistic at times but I find that quite funny!

One thing I enjoy is the fact that such a magazine exists and I can stop by the local Chapters/Indigo and buy it. Amazing, and would have been unheard of 10 years ago.

Ken

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: March 06 2015 at 13:14
LOLyes  I`ve been there from the start cool magazine about the music I love it...

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: March 06 2015 at 13:20
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

The only major international music magazine I read on a regular basis is Mojo
Mojo has the best articles, I swear.

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Date Posted: March 06 2015 at 13:41

Thank you.

AND I SECOND YOUR OPINION. (or the b*****ds that "own" these magazines would have hired many of us by now, instead of being star kissers!)(I doubt we would not do the same thing, btw!)

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 06 2015 at 14:30

Hi,

Editorial aside ...

If learning about the music, and finding new music, is what you need, PA is probably the best around. If all you want is the nice picture of Deep Purple, Keith, or Rick, then I guess a magazine like that comes through. No posters, though!

If you want serious discussion, some not perfect, but the main ideas are all actually discussed, I don't think that anywhere can be better than PA.

As Dean mentioned, the folks writing these things were the same folks that tore into the music we love, and appreciate, and I have NEVER been a fan of their writing and their very obvious commercial kisses, so they could get another free album, or a new KISS leather pants!

I came from a house with a huge music library, and even the Beatles and Rolling Stones, that we had since 1964 along with Ray Charles, Harry Belafonte, Ella Fitzgerald, Gilbert Becaud, Edith Piaf, Amalia Rodrigues, Maria Betania and many others were not as big or important ... other than merely popsters ... until one day, there was a searing attack on one song by one of these, that basically said ... this is the end ... this is the difference, and from that day on, I did not need a magazine to tell me if the Beatles were good, (it all went down hill on their own for my tastes), and all the others ... got older!

But by that time, the rock press was getting insidious and ridiculous, and only concerned with "being cool" with these stars, and not caring about the music and the work itself. No one can say anything bad about the Beatles or the Rolling Stones ... they are the biggest GODS of them all!

I'm not cynical enough to say that some folks' music choices are not great. Guy Guden's were spectacular and his show had it for more than 20 years' though that picture of his is getting too cartoonish for my tastes ... and some folks here, in their write ups also have some serious appreciation for a lot of music, and their suggestions are worth the attention ... but in general, I have not bought a whole lot of anyone's suggestions in the past 5 years ... I have instead purged my LP collection. But some of those magazines, are not helping you go out and buy that other stuff ... the major articles are all on the "stars" that helped "sell" the magazine! ND you already got the albums, anyway!

What else do you need to know?

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Luova Records
Date Posted: March 08 2015 at 17:21
Of course. A lot of.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 08 2015 at 22:23
Why bother with a magazine when one has the internet?

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: mithrandir
Date Posted: March 08 2015 at 22:38
/\ thats actually kind of a sad sentiment

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 01:48
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Why bother with a magazine when one has the internet?

Why bother with buying albums, or going to gigs, or browsing a friend's record collection, when one has the internet?

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 01:52
Ermm

-------------
What?

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 02:12

Ermm

Exactly

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 10:41
No. As with Mojo magazine and new prog in general, I simply can't afford a subscription but do look forward to the occasional issue.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 11:31
I buy the occasional issue, based on who the main focus is about. But most of the bands featured are not prog in the traditional sense. They are indie rock/alternative crossover rock/metal bands, which I don't have a problem with but misleading to the title of the magazine.

-------------

Posted By: Windhawk
Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 12:05
Subscribe, occasionally reads it. My wife usually reads through each edition thoroughly.

-------------
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/

Posted By: WeepingElf
Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 15:51
I just bought it, for the first - and probably last time.  I bought it at the international press shop at the railway station.  It cost € 19.20 - way too expensive, and I dithered quite a while before I decided to buy it.  My impression is that they consider a lot of things "prog" which have only a most tangential relationship to progressive rock as I understand it; basically, it seems to me that they consider everything "prog" which has long songs.  Also, it is too UK-centric.  The German Eclipsed magazine, as disappointing it is these days, does a better job to me.  They also have a very broad scope, but at least, they don't consider all that stuff "prog".  And it is much cheaper.

-------------
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 15:57
Not since one of their reviewers disparaged music not sung in English. As a non-native speaker of English and a language professional, I found this attitude so intolerable that I even wrote a blog post about it. I have much better uses for $ 15, and I can find much better reviews on the Internet (though I am one of those few remaining people who still love books and magazines made of paper).

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: March 09 2015 at 17:14
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Not since one of their reviewers disparaged music not sung in English. As a non-native speaker of English and a language professional, I found this attitude so intolerable that I even wrote a blog post about it. I have much better uses for $ 15, and I can find much better reviews on the Internet (though I am one of those few remaining people who still love books and magazines made of paper).

Agreed Raff.  The attitude they chose to publish about Italian language prog equates to low creditability in my book.  Why would I support that?  And you are right in that we have a handful of writers right here who smoke the reviewers in that mag. 

-------------

Posted By: Snufkins 3rd Ear
Date Posted: March 14 2015 at 16:12
My wife took out a subscription as a present and ive somehow not got round to cancelling itEmbarrassed! firstly each issue is driven by the need to advertise the latest box set re-issue from the past and re-hashing interviews and stuff thats been gone through so, so many times before. The world-wide heritage of progressive music is almost entiely ignored in preference of the latest re-issue of Yes, ELP, Genesis etc.. I'm not a massive fan of of all the contemporary 'prog bands' (most are just just melodic hard rock bands to my ears) but at least i'm hearing something new and have found a few new interesting bands. Overall it is what it is, a bit too shiny and self congratulating, bit parochial, bit limited and dull in its research.. I agree PA is much better for personal research and impartial viewsClap.

Posted By: WeepingElf
Date Posted: March 23 2015 at 15:39
I have changed my mind after finishing reading the February issue of Prog, and bought the March issue just a few hours ago, though I still think € 19.20 is a steep price for a magazine.  The German Eclipsed magazine is only about a third of that price, but Prog is about 50% thicker, and all about prog, while with Eclipsed, at least half is about such non-prog classic rock artists as Eric Clapton or the Rolling Stones, so the ratio between price and prog-related content is about the same with both.

-------------
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Posted By: Sarah92ali
Date Posted: May 20 2015 at 04:31
I read Prog magazine, but I receive it late I like to receive it sooner than I do now.
this issue was very nice  Prog magazine: issue 46 Jun/July 2014. very nice about Kate Bush

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: May 23 2015 at 22:32
This is the ultimate prog mag for me but to be honest sometimes they do disappoint me. I am not sure if their (rock) reviewers are really into new progressive moozik.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 05:31
I criticized Prog magazine a bit at some other thread, mainly because that lack of new faces at the mag's cover page. However, it's quite nice to hear that the Prog magazine sponsored the Prog Stage at Desertfest in London in April 2015, at the Jazz Cafe in Camden. It was also the first iamthemorning concert in London, along with Messenger and Amplifier. Marjana from iamthemorning wrote on their Facebook page that the audience warmly received their performance, in what is no doubt...

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: May 24 2015 at 07:03
Yep, definately a bit paraochial!! i mean, come on.. The 'once around the world' bit.. They had the most useless, BCensoredks bit on Norwegian/ scandenavian prog once and have had pathetic stabs at other countries too.. It was actually realizing that there was a vast legacy of fascinating music from all over the planet that loosely can be termed 'Progressive' (in whatever way you want to interpret it..) that really brought me round full circle to many more obscure 70's British bands. Britain and the United States do not and have never had the monopoly on decent (and in particular, inventive) music.. not that you'd think that by reading 'Prog'. You'd think they could dedicate a whole issue to The Italian progressive scene, past & present.. or France.. or Eastern Europe.. or Mexico.. or Japan etc etc

-------------

Posted By: starless2112
Date Posted: September 08 2015 at 20:04
Yes, I love those mags!! The UK magazines like Prog, Classic Rock, Mojo, UNCuT are way better than anything we have in the US. Like me, Prog seems to have an unnatural obsession with Pink Floyd, which makes me buy every mag they put The Floyd on! 

Date Posted: September 09 2015 at 00:02

The cover disc is essentially paid for by the artists and/or record labels (and the cover price of course). In this instance Inside/Out (owned by Century Media with world-wide distribution deal through EMI) plays the major part in that. The magazine will inevitably lean towards the artists and labels that pay the bills, hence the apparent emphasis on Progressive Metal. However Burning Shed also contribute to the cover discs to a lesser extend which goes some way to redressing the balance.

That's a fact Dean,
The cd with various artists that comes with the magazine is paid by the indie artists and/or record labels.
I know this from forehand experience with them.
4 years ago it would cost the artist minimum 300 pounds to have one track on the cd, costs do vary depending on the band and that was the minimum price.

Hug 

Date Posted: September 09 2015 at 00:12
Also they suck the life and fun out of reading reviews, good or bad they usually critique in a negative self righteous manner, as if themselves are the crème de la crème who studied music at Juilliard School. And the opposite of that in the same mag it seems that reviews of major big bands are done by fan boys with almost zero critique. Confused 

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: September 09 2015 at 00:25

Not since one of their reviewers disparaged music not sung in English. As a non-native speaker of English and a language professional, I found this attitude so intolerable that I even wrote a blog post about it.
I'll add that to my list of reasons. 

I think I've grabbed like four issues in total and they have never failed to disappoint. I find better writers about more interesting bands and scenes at PA, RYM and other places. I haven't kept any issues or CD's.

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2015 at 00:35
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Not since one of their reviewers disparaged music not sung in English. As a non-native speaker of English and a language professional, I found this attitude so intolerable that I even wrote a blog post about it.

I think I've grabbed like four issues in total and they have never failed to disappoint. I find better writers about more interesting bands and scenes at PA, RYM and other places. I haven't kept any issues or CD's.

Wow thanks for quoting Raff, Saperlipopette! I missed that! Wow this makes my perception of them even less enthusiastic, really. To be honest I love certain tone of vocals as they can sound instrumental to me and doesn't matter what they actually mean, any language can make cry if it's good if the tone and instrumentals are right, also I don't like to be preached upon and this includes lyrics, thus language in terms of moozik unless preaching, it does not matter to me.

Hug 
Hug

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: September 09 2015 at 04:04
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Wow thanks for quoting Raff, Saperlipopette! I missed that! Wow this makes my perception of them even less enthusiastic, really. To be honest I love certain tone of vocals as they can sound instrumental to me and doesn't matter what they actually mean, any language can make cry if it's good if the tone and instrumentals are right, also I don't like to be preached upon and this includes lyrics, thus language in terms of moozik unless preaching, it does not matter to me.

Hug 
Hug

I don't buy Prog or its mother mag CR (I rarely do, anyways)  for the reviews, but more for the main features. Of course, I will read some  (rarely satisfying) reviews, since I bought it for other purposes. 

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: September 09 2015 at 04:27
I'd rather feed myself to a shark than read Prog magazine 

ew

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Date Posted: September 09 2015 at 08:54
^Why don't you just feed Prog magazine to the shark? ConfusedLOL

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: September 09 2015 at 09:05
Why? To hear it talk all about how Steven Wilson is a prog genius? It's not worth it.

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Date Posted: September 09 2015 at 09:22
^Word.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: NutterAlert
Date Posted: September 10 2015 at 03:30
Sadly not a good mag, but always pleased to read any article by the excellent Sid Smith, and enjoy his blog/podcast site. Top man.

Date Posted: September 16 2015 at 16:30
My son has the last issue (number?) with a nice write up by Alan White on Chris Squire's passing. It's hard to believe they shared the rhythm section for Yes for over 40 years. Nice job.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: September 16 2015 at 17:04

Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

Sadly not a good mag, but always pleased to read any article by the excellent Sid Smith, and enjoy his blog/podcast site. Top man.

And Sid believes that Canterbury doesn't have to come from there to be called that so yeah he's the man.LOL

Love the magazine though I can't afford it, still my daughter picks me one up once in a while and I take my time going through it. So much excellent information and interviews, i've been going through my old ones while on my lunch at work. 

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: September 17 2015 at 09:13
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

And Sid believes that Canterbury doesn't have to come from there to be called that so yeah he's the man.LOL

Love the magazine though I can't afford it, still my daughter picks me one up once in a while and I take my time going through it. So much excellent information and interviews, i've been going through my old ones while on my lunch at work. 
What? Canterbury isn't krautrock? Confused Wtf?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk