Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99177
Printed Date: April 16 2024 at 12:10
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Two electronic albums - part 1
Posted By: fudgenuts64
Subject: Two electronic albums - part 1
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 08:50
Both released the same year and both very melodic, which one of these electronic albums do you prefer? Personally, I abstain from voting for now, Stratosfear needs more listens but I quite like both.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 09:04
Tough call. Huge TD fan but this is probably Jarre's best.  Since there isn't a fence sitting option on this poll, m going with Oxygen.  Now if the TD choice was either of the 3 prior albums , the vote would have been reversed.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 10:01
Both of these albums are excellent representations of the kind of music that I most listened to some years before I decided to delve into "prog", and have loved both.  With Tangerine Dream, only the first four albums have I regularly played over the last 8 or so years as my tastes rather shifted, but I still play later TD now and then and do enjoy that TD album very much when I'm in that sort of melodic mood.  Likewise, I stlll also like to play Oxygene when in the mood (that and Equinoxe are my favourite Jarre albums).

I am going with Oxygene partially because it is such a strong Jarre album, and there happens to be quite a few other Tangerine Dream albums (earlier ones) that I would more usually want to play.  Also, Oxygene just has music that still resonates with me so much and takes me back to another time on my musical path that I really care about rather more than Stratosfear. Both albums give me a good nostalgic feeling, and it's a pretty tight race for me,..

-------------
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 10:12
I like them both a lot, but I find myself giving Stratosphere a listen more than Oxygene. So voted for TD

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 10:18
Oxygene

Posted By: genbanks
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 10:32
J.M.Jarre

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 11:41
TD forever

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 12:36
Stratosfear comes off a little stale to me, yet Oxygene is fresh. TD had hit their stride yet Jarre was coming into his.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 12:36
Stratosfear. Overall better album, and Oxygene can't beat its title track.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 12:52
Jean-Michel Jarre.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 12:59
Oxygene

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 14:43
Not really a fan of Jarre and I really like the TD album so...

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 14:49
A very close call. I voted for Jean-Michel Jarre today, but in fact I like them about equally.

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 02 2014 at 15:43
TD For me.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 02:58
Jarre on this one as it seemed to define electronic music at that time but both albums are probably 4 star albums in my book.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 03:14
I think TD were for obvious reasons more established. As much as I love the incredible Oxygene, no faults.......Stratosfear well for me was pushing even more boundaries at that time. I mean......Invisible Limits? Both great albums and for me Jarre's best work.

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 03:30
Hmm... Jarre's best vs. Tangos' average... not a tough choice - Stratosfear by a country mile.

Soon after the initial excitement of hearing electronic music played on day-time radio (Oxygène Part IV) I bought the album and was woefully disappointed by the whole thing, it sounded bland, derivative and soulless to my ears - it's electronic Pop Corn (Hot Butter) and not in the same league as the Tangos (or even Oldfield). I've played it maybe a couple of times in the past 38 years and it hasn't got any better, I'd much rather listen to father Maurice than son Jean Michel (Maurice wrote the soundtracks to Lawrence of Arabia and Dr. Zhivago).

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 14:59
Oxygene Part 2 is easily one of the best electronic pieces I've heard. I'd love to hear anything else remotely like that.

also used brilliantly as part of the Peter Weir film Gallipoli at a key moment , so obviously must be soulless and bland

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 16:38
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Oxygene Part 2 is easily one of the best electronic pieces I've heard. I'd love to hear anything else remotely like that.

also used brilliantly as part of the Peter Weir film Gallipoli at a key moment , so obviously must be soulless and bland
Confused each to his own and there is no accounting for taste. To my ears it's simplistic, repetitive and has some well-timed synth sci-fi effect noises all over it, but it is completely devoid of any soul, emotion or passion - even Tomita managed to squeeze more emotion out of electronic music than this. It certainly does not conjure feeling of fear, panic, anticipation or any other emotion that you'd expect on Turkish battlefield in WWI. So I think you maybe influenced by the visual more than the aural in that - maybe that works "brilliantly" for you but for me that was a most incongruous piece of film scoring. Sometimes incongruent film-scoring really does work brilliantly, A Clockwork Orange being a prime example, but not in this case, I half expected to see Empire Stormtroopers to come marching over the hill firing laser-rifles "pew-pew, pew, pew-pew-pew, pew, pew". 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 17:03

Oxygene Part 2 is easily one of the best electronic pieces I've heard.

Aboslutely agree

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 17:35
Maurice Jarre.

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 17:40
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Maurice Jarre.

LOL

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 17:52
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Maurice Jarre.
Thumbs Up Very under-appreciated composer.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 01:16
Below clip from Gallipoli featuring JM Jarre but not the one I was thinking of. Part 2 is used very effectively at one point. I thought it worth posting this up given the significance of today. I would recommend watching this film  as your own personal commemoration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGuY5r-7ta4" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGuY5r-7ta4

Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 01:27
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Confused each to his own and there is no accounting for taste. To my ears it's simplistic, repetitive and has some well-timed synth sci-fi effect noises all over it, but it is completely devoid of any soul, emotion or passion - even Tomita managed to squeeze more emotion out of electronic music than this. It certainly does not conjure feeling of fear, panic, anticipation or any other emotion that you'd expect on Turkish battlefield in WWI. So I think you maybe influenced by the visual more than the aural in that - maybe that works "brilliantly" for you but for me that was a most incongruous piece of film scoring. Sometimes incongruent film-scoring really does work brilliantly, A Clockwork Orange being a prime example, but not in this case, I half expected to see Empire Stormtroopers to come marching over the hill firing laser-rifles "pew-pew, pew, pew-pew-pew, pew, pew". 

The stupid little confused emoticon. I would ban that bugger from this forum , we could all use it just because we don't like someone else's opinion

Much electronic music is repetitive and virtually ALL of it could be described as 'devoid of any soul ,emotion or passion' as you put it. Give me an example of EM that isn't? I believe of any genre its probably the most personal and difficult to get a grasp of. I couldn't tell you why I like Vangelis - Beauborg for instance. Something that was knocked up in a lunchtime yet it has something about it.
Jarre was a student of EM so it may seem that all his work is derivative yet I struggle to compare his music to anyone else. The nearest to Jarre to my ears is Edgar Froese solo work Stuntman which came a couple of years later. That has much of the same feel but of course if anyone was copying anyone it was Froese copying Jarre.

My favourite JM Jarre album is Rendez - Vous. That has some truly epic material and memorable moments (Ron's Piece for instance). Its even fun in places but I guess that's bland and souless as well.

Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 02:47

The stupid little confused emoticon. I would ban that bugger from this forum , we could all use it just because we don't like someone else's opinion

I don't, I use it when I don't understand someone's opinion or comment. 

That you like Oxygene and I don't is irrelevant and of no concern to me, I should have snipped off your first two sentences in the quote to avoid this confusion but unfortunately I didn't. I voiced my opinion and you gave a sarcastic reply in direct response to that so I defended my opinion. If you think I have commented on your opinion of the piece, that you like it and I don't, then I apologise because I don't believe I did and certainly did not intend to.

In this instance the confused emoticon was used for your sarcastic "so obviously must be soulless and bland" comment in regard to its use in Gallipoli that the emoticon immediately followed, I then went on to explain why.

Like minimalist music, most good electronic music is not repetitive, that's the most misunderstood and misrepresented characteristic of it - the repeated motifs change. Similarly I don't find that virtually all electronic music is devoid of emotion, quite the opposite - the music of Vangelis and Froese can be very evocative for me. Due to the lack of touch-sensitivity on early synthesiser keyboards some of it lacks expression then so does some harpsichord music for the same reason, but that does not imply there is no emotion in it. 

-------------
What?

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 03:49

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 07:30
You can put me firmly in the Oxygene camp.  For me this was the album that introduced me to EM (it was the first album I ever bought, something I'm quite proud of actually Approve).  A truly ground breaking album that I love even now.

The TD one is ok but not a patch on some others by them around that point of their career.

If the poll had been Oxygene 7-13 vs Stratosfear I'd still have gone with Jarre. 

Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 13:20
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I don't, I use it when I don't understand someone's opinion or comment. 

That you like Oxygene and I don't is irrelevant and of no concern to me, I should have snipped off your first two sentences in the quote to avoid this confusion but unfortunately I didn't. I voiced my opinion and you gave a sarcastic reply in direct response to that so I defended my opinion. If you think I have commented on your opinion of the piece, that you like it and I don't, then I apologise because I don't believe I did and certainly did not intend to.

In this instance the confused emoticon was used for your sarcastic "so obviously must be soulless and bland" comment in regard to its use in Gallipoli that the emoticon immediately followed, I then went on to explain why.

Like minimalist music, most good electronic music is not repetitive, that's the most misunderstood and misrepresented characteristic of it - the repeated motifs change. Similarly I don't find that virtually all electronic music is devoid of emotion, quite the opposite - the music of Vangelis and Froese can be very evocative for me. Due to the lack of touch-sensitivity on early synthesiser keyboards some of it lacks expression then so does some harpsichord music for the same reason, but that does not imply there is no emotion in it. 

okay I was sarcastic admittedly but the comment  'soulless and bland' is something I would only ever reserve an opinion for something like production line pop music created by Stock Aitken and Waterbracket. Oxygene is probably not the masterpeice it's often made out to be but it does have enough good moments to elevate it above eighties pop music imho.

Posted By: manfromstoke
Date Posted: August 11 2014 at 14:51
The Tangs for me. Thumbs Up

JMJ is more accessible to the masses and the fact he used a Laser harp designed by another great synth composer Bernard Szajner on the China tour does give him credibility in my book but not enough to sway decision.

-------------
A fool can ask more questions than a wise man can answer.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk