Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99187
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 10:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Fave Prog Band's Popularity In Your Home Country
Posted By: presdoug
Subject: Fave Prog Band's Popularity In Your Home Country
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 13:18
Thought this might be kind of fun and interesting. What is or was the reception for your favorite prog band in the country you are from? How popular are they there? Did they chart, get played on the radio, or tour there? Are they currently a going concern in your home country?

My favorite band is Triumvirat, and my home is Canada. I have searched long and hard for information on Triumvirat in Canada. They were moderately successful here way back in the seventies, when the band were a recording and touring entity. Triumvirat never had a hit single, but were still sometimes played on the radio in the FM band in the mid seventies here. (though not often) They were popular especially in Quebec, which is not surprising, considering the general popularity of progressive rock there.
                          They rarely toured here, and I have only heard of two concerts, one in Calgary, Alberta, Canada in July of 1975 with Supertramp, and also a concert in Montreal, Quebec, where I heard they played with BTO.
                             When Triumvirat's albums first appeared on CD, in the early 1990s, I believe, they were available in Canada, and then subsequently the 2002 remasters the same thing, so some of us are still listening!

Replies:
Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 13:22
Oooh that's hard one.  From the '70's we have Kansas and The Dixie Dregs and Happy The Man.  Really cool new bands in this decade - The Tea Club, Perfect Beings, Dream The Electric Sleep.  Djam Karet from the 1990's or so.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 13:28
Kayo Dot or Talk Talk I s'pose.

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 13:30
In my country I know very few prog rock bands, something of Os Mutantes, Violeta de Outono, Aether and Bacamarte, unfortunately in Brasil since a long time ago they are not played in any popular radio station, as well as almost any other prog rock band, and they have always had to cope with the complete lack of interest in prog rock in Brasil, as long as prog never was a popular genre here Doug, and I think it will never be. Besides, people here in general think of Villa Lobos as one more "popular music composer of the old times" instead of a brilliant classical music composer! Go figure that...

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 13:42
Current? Discipline...

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 14:01
My two favorite Prog bands, Yes and Tull, were huge hits in the 70s in the U.S. My very favorite artist, Vangelis, was only truly popular for a few years in the wake of Chariots of Fire, which was also huge here. All three are still well-known, though. Kansas, of course, had their share of hits and they just played in my local area twice in the last year. Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to see them.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 14:03
You might be interested to know, Doug, that I am currently listening to BTO.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 14:20
Ignoring English prog bands then I will have to talk about Rush. They become incredibly successful in England in the late seventies so were treated with great excitement when they toured here especially around the time of Hemispheres. They did it a time when Punk was all the rage here so they went against the grain. It wasn't until Spirit Of Radio though that they got onto British mainstream radio as I recall. Always help to have 'radio' in the song title I suppose.Smile

Posted By: elpprogster
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 15:12
Hi Presdoug!
I´m from Portugal and Triumvirat´s 1976 album "Old LOves Die Hard" was nº 1 at the portuguese charts at that time!!
Definetly one of my favourite bands!

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 15:57
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Whoops, like others I just read the title and not the actual OP. Silly me.

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 16:04
We don't have any prog in here

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 16:12

Me too, sorry Doug.

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 16:25
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Me too, sorry Doug.

Same error but I think my reply still stands.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 16:30
He is asking about how popular your favourite band is -  in the country you are from. 

So my favourite band is GOng and they are from France/Australia/ England - they don't have to be English.

In my home country they have and have had an underground following most of the time and still have a strong influence on other bands here.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 16:31
Changed the title of my thread to "Fave Prog Band's Popularity In Your Home Country", to lessen confusion. Even if your fave prog band is from your home country and enormous there, that still is ok to mention. (i.e. Pink Floyd in England)

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 16:36
Still, even the most famous prog band are pretty unknown 'round these parts.

Posted By: Junges
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 17:01
None. I don't like any prog from Brazil.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 17:15
^That's a SAD detail about many of you folks from my country, you just pointed out one of the main reasons for the lack of popularity of this genre: people don't give the slightest support to the brasilian prog bands. That's really UNACCEPTABLE.
EDIT: That said, the fact of liking them or not is a matter of personal taste, I could say that actually I'm not a fan of any of them - some songs for me are OK - but I'd much rather have avoided this opinion , given the fact that at least some opportunity these brasilian bands should have had before and nowadays.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 17:17
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Ignoring English prog bands then I will have to talk about Rush. They become incredibly successful in England in the late seventies so were treated with great excitement when they toured here especially around the time of Hemispheres. They did it a time when Punk was all the rage here so they went against the grain. It wasn't until Spirit Of Radio though that they got onto British mainstream radio as I recall. Always help to have 'radio' in the song title I suppose.Smile
No need to ignore English prog bands, Richard, even if your fave is from your country, that's ok. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 17:22
Originally posted by elpprogster elpprogster wrote:

Hi Presdoug!
I´m from Portugal and Triumvirat´s 1976 album "Old LOves Die Hard" was nº 1 at the portuguese charts at that time!!
Definetly one of my favourite bands!

That's neat!

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 18:17
All my favourite Prog bands had some measure of popularity here in England, if not in the "pop" charts then at least at "grass-roots" level. I feel myself pretty fortunate that I got to see live gigs by so many bands that I like (Pink Floyd, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Van der Graaf Generator, The Enid, Tangerine Dream, Phil Manz & 801, Gong, Hawkwind, Ozric Tentacles, Uriah Heap, Principal Edwards Magic Theatre, [early] ELO, Focus, Mostly Autumn, Karnataka, Marillion, Camel, Caravan, Anathema, Therion, Threshold, Jon Olivia, etc...) so I cannot complain.

Even though they were all released in the UK, it did take me a while to track-down and buy Amon Duul II albums back then, but that was part of the fun. Never did see them live - oh, hum :-(

-------------
What?

Posted By: Roland113
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 18:30
Umm, yeah, sadly, most of my favorite prog bands are pretty unappreciated in the US.  Most modern prog artists pretty much need to crowd fund their albums . . . and tours.  Some of the old classics did pretty good over here, but yeah, most of the new bands are lucky to draw a few hundred people to their shows.

-------------
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 19:41
TMV

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 20:03
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

All my favourite Prog bands had some measure of popularity here in England, if not in the "pop" charts then at least at "grass-roots" level. I feel myself pretty fortunate that I got to see live gigs by so many bands that I like (Pink Floyd, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Van der Graaf Generator, The Enid, Tangerine Dream, Phil Manz & 801, Gong, Hawkwind, Ozric Tentacles, Uriah Heap, Principal Edwards Magic Theatre, [early] ELO, Focus, Mostly Autumn, Karnataka, Marillion, Camel, Caravan, Anathema, Therion, Threshold, Jon Olivia, etc...) so I cannot complain.

Even though they were all released in the UK, it did take me a while to track-down and buy Amon Duul II albums back then, but that was part of the fun. Never did see them live - oh, hum :-(
Wow, Dean, that is impressive-you've lived through some real music history there. I have not seen any of my favorite bands in concert, unfortunately.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 21:13
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Wow, Dean, that is impressive-you've lived through some real music history there. I have not seen any of my favorite bands in concert, unfortunately.
I also lived through the 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s - in that time I have seen (literally) hundreds of bands, some of the non-Prog bads are probably more favourite than some of the Prog bands I've listed but since this thread is in the Prog Lounge, I purposely omitted them. [Same for the Prog-related/Proto-prog artist such as Bowie, Black Sabbath, Metallicacaca, Ironing Maiden, The Move and Muse]

I neglected to add Nine Inch Nails, The Mars Volta, Sigor Ros and Tori Amos from my previous post - as I own almost the full discographies of all four of them that is probably an oversight.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: August 03 2014 at 21:15
You got to see TMV live..

Dean pls y u so kewl and lucky ;[[[

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 02:40
SMAK is my all time favourite progressive rock band here, and they are still very popular in Serbia. 

From their concert in Kombank Arena, Belgrade, December 2012  (20 000 of crowd).

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 05:00
In Australia,  the biggest prog bands in terms of "mainstream popularity" would be Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull (especiallly), Yes, Focus (yes Focus!), Blood, Sweat and Tears, Chicago, Roxy Music (if you put them in prog), Supertramp (ditto re prog credentials) and ELO (ditto again re prog cred). Of the new brigade, Radiohead are massive in Oz (as they are everywhere else), Mogwai are very popular as too The Muse but Porcupine Tree and Dream Theatre are less so......I think.

In Australia, Genesis (the prog years) did not rate before they went commercial. King Crimson, Van Der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant and Uriah Heep were not really of the radar either in their heyday.

Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 08:03
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

^That's a SAD detail about many of you folks from my country, you just pointed out one of the main reasons for the lack of popularity of this genre: people don't give the slightest support to the brasilian prog bands. That's really UNACCEPTABLE.
EDIT: That said, the fact of liking them or not is a matter of personal taste, I could say that actually I'm not a fan of any of them - only some songs for me are OK - but I'd much rather have avoided this opinion , given the fact that at least some opportunity these brasilian bands should have had before and nowadays.

Sorry Junges, but I get very disappointed on the total inexistance of interest in the prog rock in our country.

Sorry again Doug that this is out of topic too...

-------------

Posted By: Old_Wise_Owl
Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 12:22
Hi,
I am from Sweden. I should consider myself fortunate to be from a country which has fostered more than a few prog bands with international appeal in the last 20 years. Flower Kings, Opeth, Änglagård, Pain Of Salvation, Anekdoten, Beardfish to name just a few.
Being one of the major suppliers in the prog world of today, it may then come as a surprise to you, that you almost never hear any prog on any radio station or TV channel here, nor do you see any of them featured or interviewed in any Swedish newspaper or music magazine.
Prog is very much a cult underground thing here in Sweden, and if you want to find out what's going on in prog in Sweden, you need to check out the sites that specializes in prog.

Posted By: tupan
Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 14:23
Hummm... Can I mention some prog metal bands? I love the sound of Angra! http://https://www.google.com/url?q=www.progarchives.com/artist.asp%3Fid%3D4923&sa=U&ei=eN3fU4zXDoTT7Abe0YDYAw&ved=0CAcQFjAB&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGDc6OjzrTkSDM2zClNoj7XAEWmDA" rel="nofollow - Dynahead and http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1400" rel="nofollow - Mindflow are awesome, too!

-------------
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 14:39
Some of my favorite Prog bands, all from the UK, were almost unknown in the states but that was cool because I was able to see them at small venues like supper clubs and small theaters.

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 15:06
Return to Forever
Death
Atheist
Cynic
Symphony X

All incredibly popular progressive bands from The States. The middle three were huge on the East Coast, and the latter still tours on occasion to rather large turnouts. Return to Forever...need I say more?

Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 16:43
Triumvirat were so popular here in Portugal that besides topping the charts with "Old Loves Die Hard", a bit of "Panic on 5th Avenue" was used as a jingle for the opening of Tv News at the national TV.

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 17:11

Triumvirat were so popular here in Portugal that besides topping the charts with "Old Loves Die Hard", a bit of "Panic on 5th Avenue" was used as a jingle for the opening of Tv News at the national TV.

I didn't know they were so popular here. I though only Genesis and Pink Floyd were, because of the portuguese prog bands they influenced.

Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 17:20
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I didn't know they were so popular here. I though only Genesis and Pink Floyd were, because of the portuguese prog bands they influenced.
I wonder if Triumvirat played any concerts in Portugal? Maybe during the 1975 European tour they did opening for Grand Funk? There was no real tour in support of Old Loves Die Hard, unfortunately.

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: August 04 2014 at 19:10
Originally posted by Old_Wise_Owl Old_Wise_Owl wrote:

Hi,
I am from Sweden. I should consider myself fortunate to be from a country which has fostered more than a few prog bands with international appeal in the last 20 years. Flower Kings, Opeth, Änglagård, Pain Of Salvation, Anekdoten, Beardfish to name just a few.
Being one of the major suppliers in the prog world of today, it may then come as a surprise to you, that you almost never hear any prog on any radio station or TV channel here, nor do you see any of them featured or interviewed in any Swedish newspaper or music magazine.
Prog is very much a cult underground thing here in Sweden, and if you want to find out what's going on in prog in Sweden, you need to check out the sites that specializes in prog.

Yes it has certainly gone downhill, sadly. But in the late 60s and early 70s I'd say that the big acts of the time were pretty huge.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 05:56
Rush was quite popular on US radio during the 80's and have always filled arenas for their concert tours.

-------------

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 09:35

My favorite prog band for most of my life is Pink Floyd. Living in Florida in the late 70s to mid-80s, most would laugh when I said they were my favorite band. Why? Because I think of the word "pink" in the name. People would even ask me: Are they a gay band? Haha. Mind you, this was asked by people who loved Rush, Hendrix, Led Zep, etc. In my own personal experience, Floyd fanatics during that time period were few and far between in the US.

I think it was in the 1990s that it became "cool" in the US to namecheck Floyd, and young people in the US would brag about going to see Floyd in concert. In the last few years, suddenly there are Floyd t-shirts everywhere - they sell them in Walmart and JCPennys and other outlets. Tragic.

Floyd's such a household band now that if people ask me my favorite band, I would never say Floyd. (I say Burial. And I get blank stares of incomprehension. That's the way I like it. Still have never met an American who has heard Burial. [Anyway, he's not really prog...])

Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 13:04
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I wonder if Triumvirat played any concerts in Portugal? Maybe during the 1975 European tour they did opening for Grand Funk? There was no real tour in support of Old Loves Die Hard, unfortunately.

No, Triumvirat didn´t play any concerts here supporting Spartacus or further; which is a real pity...

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 15:14
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

My favorite prog band for most of my life is Pink Floyd. Living in Florida in the late 70s to mid-80s, most would laugh when I said they were my favorite band. Why? Because I think of the word "pink" in the name. People would even ask me: Are they a gay band? Haha. Mind you, this was asked by people who loved Rush, Hendrix, Led Zep, etc. In my own personal experience, Floyd fanatics during that time period were few and far between in the US.
I think it was in the 1990s that it became "cool" in the US to namecheck Floyd, and young people in the US would brag about going to see Floyd in concert. In the last few years, suddenly there are Floyd t-shirts everywhere - they sell them in Walmart and JCPennys and other outlets. Tragic.
Floyd's such a household band now that if people ask me my favorite band, I would never say Floyd. (I say Burial. And I get blank stares of incomprehension. That's the way I like it. Still have never met an American who has heard Burial. [Anyway, he's not really prog...])

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk