Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2 Albums (Part 6)
Posted By: zravkapt
Subject: 2 Albums (Part 6)
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 00:39
V

O

T

E

Question

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Replies:
Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 00:58
Tubular Bells

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 01:06
The bells

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 01:18
This is a very tough choice. I have to think about it. Both albums are masterpieces.

-------------

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 01:29
Not a bif fan of Floyd, but I like Dark Side. 

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 05:34
Dark Side easily, Bells has never really grabbed my attention.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 05:42
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Dark Side easily, Bells has never really grabbed my attention.
same

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 06:04
Both are great, but Floyd by a nose.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 06:08
Dark Side. No contest for me

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 06:37
DSOTM..but my love for TB has grown over the last few years. It's now on a par with Ommadawn for me..

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: genbanks
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 06:57
Like both but Dark Side is Dark Side

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 07:33
I like TB, it's a classic, but are you kidding me - easily DSOTM.

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 08:20
I don't like Dark Side too much (strangely - I've always thought about it as overproduced, cold, pretentious and overall overrated record and years didn't change anything on this) so Tubullar Bells by miles here. If there are Meddle or Wish You Were Here in this poll, my vote would be different for sure.

-------------

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 08:26
uhhhh Dark Side. ADER!!!! but im trying to hear Tubular Bells one of these days as well (EXORCIST!!!!)

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 09:46
T Bells. I am a PF fan but I never have a good connection! with TDSOTM. Many of peoples said "This is the best" or "Pink Floyd's best album" but ...
T Bells is a great Album. This is a Masterpiece IMO and one of Progressive music refrence . In 2014 one of Prog Rock's professional musicians "Rob Reed" released a album in TB's style and format : Sanctuary. If you listen to this album , you can find "The Value" of TB clearly (IMO). 

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 09:52
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

This is a very tough choice. I have to think about it. Both albums are masterpieces.

Agreed. I can't decide which one right now.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 11:47
Both were very innovative and remain iconic. Generally speaking, I prefer Oldfield over Floyd and that is the way my vote goes today. The albums fall right on either side of a spectrum: TB is played mostly by one person early in his career and has so many rough edges that he wanted to redo ever since it was completed. On the other hand, Dark Side, which has its share of spontaneity within it, is so carefully executed it can be considered perfection.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 21:32
Tubular Bells for me. It has always held a special place in my heart. I love the melodies and I could never believe that one person played and arranged pretty well everything!

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 03:59
Even if I consider myself an Oldfield's fan, Tubular bells is a patchwork of short pieces often connected by sudden transitions, while DSOTM is a consistent concept album without any filler. I like both but The Floyd's is an absolute masterpiece while TB is "just" a great album. 

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 09:30
Good point but dont forget : TB is a instrumental album. DSOTM's filler (as you said) is lyrics and sound texture. More instruments used in TB and its difficult than DSOTM. I mean filler that you talked about in DSOTM isnt musical filler.
 OOH god please help me to explain my opinion better!! I wish you get my point octopus.

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 09:40
Easy. The Dark Side of the Moon. Incredible album. Oldfield's Tubular Bells doesn't do much for me. Pink Floyd's music always hits me in the gut.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 10:29
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Good point but dont forget : TB is a instrumental album. DSOTM's filler (as you said) is lyrics and sound texture. More instruments used in TB and its difficult than DSOTM. I mean filler that you talked about in DSOTM isnt musical filler.
 OOH god please help me to explain my opinion better!! I wish you get my point octopus.
Hi, welcome back !

I think I get your point. I'm not saying that TB has fillers. I have just explained what I think it's its defect, and I think the same of many Oldfield's albums: discontinuity.

Then if we think to how young he was and to the fact that he has composed arranged and played everything in that album it's surely impressive, at least for the 70s when the available technology wasn't like today.
In Oldfield's discography what I personally consider a masterpiece is Song Of Distant Earth, but I also enjoy Platinum and Crisis a lot. The side-long tracks have more continuity. 

I also prefer Incantations to TB, but it's a subjective thing. I'm not saying that it's better or worse, only that I personally like it more.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 11:02
Tubular Bells is a milestone.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 14:35
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Hi, welcome back !

I think I get your point. I'm not saying that TB has fillers. I have just explained what I think it's its defect, and I think the same of many Oldfield's albums: discontinuity.

Then if we think to how young he was and to the fact that he has composed arranged and played everything in that album it's surely impressive, at least for the 70s when the available technology wasn't like today.
In Oldfield's discography what I personally consider a masterpiece is Song Of Distant Earth, but I also enjoy Platinum and Crisis a lot. The side-long tracks have more continuity. 

I also prefer Incantations to TB, but it's a subjective thing. I'm not saying that it's better or worse, only that I personally like it more.

Hi my friend. 
You got my point completely and explain my opinion better than me!! Its Very Interesting : Song of Distant Earth and Crisis and specially Platinum are my fav albums too. Platinum is a masterpiece (IMO).
You right about "Discontinuity" but this "Discontinuity" is one of good elements (IMO) in Mike's albums and I love this kind of "Long time songs" (not epic). Thanks octopus for your time and perfect answer.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 16:04
Just to be awkward I don't regard either as 'essential' particularly. DSOTM needs more instruments while TB is chock full of too much of everything. It took Mike only a year to realise that less is more while Pink Floyd a year later were creating the amazingly broad and beautifull Wish You Were Here. 

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 17:30
I'm surprised it's as close as it is.LOL Dark Side Of The MoonHeart

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 09:36
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Just to be awkward I don't regard either as 'essential' particularly. DSOTM needs more instruments while TB is chock full of too much of everything. It took Mike only a year to realise that less is more while Pink Floyd a year later were creating the amazingly broad and beautifull Wish You Were Here. 
100% agree. Excellent point,

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 09:41

Dark Side 'needs' more instruments? I whole-heartedly disagree. It's fine just the way it is IMHO. It's guitar, bass, keyboards, and drums plus whatever strange sound-effects were thrown into the mix. Dark Side was a brilliant album made by a group of astonishing musicians.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: genbanks
Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 10:08
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Dark Side 'needs' more instruments? I whole-heartedly disagree. It's fine just the way it is IMHO. It's guitar, bass, keyboards, and drums plus whatever strange sound-effects were thrown into the mix. Dark Side was a brilliant album made by a group of astonishing musicians.

Well, I would like that Dark Side has more "instrumental sections" (not more instruments), but "I would like" not means "it is necesary". Actually in Dark side of the moon, everything is on the right place, and as you say is a brilliant album, and with all the respect for Tubular Bells (great album too) if one of them would a milestone, it is Dark Side of the Moon.

Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 13:03

We compare in this section. This isnt "exclusive" about DSOTM . 

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: August 09 2014 at 05:53
Dark Side but Tubular Bells pretty underrated on PA (compared to other Mike Oldfield albums) Smile

Date Posted: August 09 2014 at 11:00
Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

Well, I would like that Dark Side has more "instrumental sections" (not more instruments), but "I would like" not means "it is necesary". Actually in Dark side of the moon, everything is on the right place, and as you say is a brilliant album, and with all the respect for Tubular Bells (great album too) if one of them would a milestone, it is Dark Side of the Moon.

Hi. Using more instruments in music cant be a good "measure" for compare or rating (IMO), but how to use these instruments is important. Mike Oldfield's TB is a good example of "Prefect music by using long range of Instruments" (IMO) and we can discuss about that. 

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: August 12 2014 at 11:28

Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk