Print Page | Close Window

What are your favorite unappreciated Prog albums?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99213
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 18:07
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What are your favorite unappreciated Prog albums?
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: What are your favorite unappreciated Prog albums?
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 10:07

Everyone has at least one Prog album that they really love but seems to be thrashed by everyone else including friends as well as critics. What are some of your favorite  unappreciated Prog albums and, more importantly, why should they be appreciated.

Replies:
Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 10:28
^The great majority of the prog I enjoy are either trashed or unknown by my brazilian friends and the brazilian critics, exception still made to Pink Floyd and Aerosmith (even though I consider them prog-related).

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 10:35
I really love "Gate to Infinity" by Earth and Fire.   Common wisdom states that all their albums after 1973 are a waste of time, but I personally enjoy them greatly.  As a matter of fact, few people even really mention them at all, and probably just believe the 2 or 3 people who have bothered to review them and said they're crap.  I've done my best to turn the tide of critical opinion, but since their later albums gradually leave prog rock behind in favor of Europop and even disco, it's a hard sell for a PA audience. "Gate to Infinity", however, still has enough prog elements to warrant mention as a "prog album" for the purposes of this thread.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 10:47
Gentle Giant-The Missing Piece-this album gets derided, but shouldn't, really. The music therein has a wonderful, free spirit to it, and is catchy without being trite.

Wallenstein-No More Love-this album is still prog enough to be a great record of the band, though it is seen as the beginning of the band's commercial slant away from prog. That's kind of unfair, as it is quite moving and meaningful lyrically and instrumentally in a prog sense.

Libra-Winter Day's Nightmare-the second album from this RPI band gets ignored, and unjustifiably so. The band, still led by the late, great Federico D'Andrea, prove that Libra could still be Libra, and this record is a good companion to their previous debut album.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 11:00
These four of my 5-star reviews have an average rating of 3.51 or less.

Dredg Catch Without Arms album cover

Geddy Lee My Favourite Headache album cover

Kansas Somewhere To Elsewhere album cover

Rush Vapor Trails album cover

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 11:06
^ Wow. All really good albums.

Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 12:07
Of course, 3.51 isn't too bad a rating.

I'm interested in that Geddy Lee album now.  Never got around to hearing it.

-------------

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 12:30
Genesis - Abacab (probably one of the most hated albums by a prog band)

Yes - Fly From Here (I think it's a great album and better than anything since Keys...don't think a lot of people share my opinion on that).

Only prog-related, but Black Sabbath - Born Again

Rush - Presto (my favorite of their 80s output, with Grace a close second, MP third and Signals & PW tied for fourth. HYF is way way behind them all).

BTW, Holy Moly, I have E&F's first four albums and love them. I'll have to check out Gate to Infinity. Nothing wrong with a touch of disco here and there.

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 18:51
Henry Kaiser - Moose and Salmon. It's just a wee bit too experimental for everyone I personally know other than me. I like it, though.

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 19:02

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 01:38
I have several - early-80's Renaissance
                          early-80's Grobschnitt
........that pretty sweet Earth And Fire album HolyMoly speaks of - Gate To Infinity
AND - those 2 'Prog Collective' albums instigated by maestro Billy Sherwood.   Sure he uses a basic template, full of cliches, rather simply structured pieces but all-star performances. I know they are not ground-breaking, nor are they even supposed to be, but I love each and every track on both albums and I think it is a great idea that such an artist, who deeply has respect for the whole Progressive genre, and is an amazing musician in his own right, can command such talent to add to his vision. I dislike what he contributed to Yes, though The Ladder is quite fine, but these collective projects are too enjoyable for me.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 01:49
Seventies I would say Refugee but then their album has a good rating so not sure if they are underappreciated. Kayak's first four albums are also excellent with great symph prog  before they turned into a standard issue AOR band (Merlin aside) but again the ratings are okay.

ELP - Works Volume One and Two feature some great tracks but the unfocused nature of both these albums does admittedly let them down. There is a 4 star album of about an hour long screaming to get out if you select the right tracks

More recently I would say Par Lindh is massively under appreciated possibly because he has not recorded that many albums. Veni Vidi Vici is a favourite of mine and not at all derivative of classic prog (a lot of modern symph prog is)

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 02:03
Gentle Giant- The Missing Piece(This should be appreciated because they have a good mix of Prog (Memories of Old Days, For Nobody, As Old As You're Young) and just plain awesome music (Two Weeks in Spain, Betcha Thought We Couldn't Do It, Mountain Time,etc)
Gentle Giant - Giant for a Day! (This should appreciated because it is just a fun album and please do not think "Prog" and enjoy it for what it is)
Yes - Tormato(This is very under appreciated and I don't know why. It is a fun, fun album with greats like Future Times/Rejoice,  Madrigal, Release, Release, Circus of Heaven Big smile,On the Silent Wings of Freedom Big smile)
Yes - The Ladder ( This one has the vibe and emotion just like other Yes albums with Mr. Anderson)Big smile
Rush - Power Windows (This one is just interesting and a very different album when compared to Moving Pictures or Signals as you can't even tell if it's the same band)
Rush - Hold Your Fire (Rush continue to explore a different vibe)

These are some that come to mind as don't get the hate behind these 

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 05:52
Yes - Union ! I prefer this over ABWH.......

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 06:34
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Common wisdom states that all their albums after 1973 are a waste of time

Really? Well, I love To The World Of The Future from 1975. Haven't tried out Gate To Infinity, though, indeed because I thought it would be no good anymore. Well, some more homework. Smile

Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 06:36
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Genesis - Abacab (probably one of the most hated albums by a prog band)

Solid album!

Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 06:37
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Yes - Tormato(This is very under appreciated and I don't know why. 

Because of the more modern production, the lack of grandeur and the fact that the albums contains mainly short songs.
But a great album indeed! 

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 06:38

#drprogandwalteraintgotnothingonme 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 07:37
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Really? Well, I love To The World Of The Future from 1975. Haven't tried out Gate To Infinity, though, indeed because I thought it would be no good anymore. Well, some more homework. Smile
Point taken, I believe the 1975 album has its share of fans - opinion seems divided on that one.  Me, I gave it five stars.  I think if you like World you'll also like Gate, though side 2 is pure pop, be warned.  But it's really good pop.

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 07:38
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

#drprogandwalteraintgotnothingonme 
ur so pure Cool

-------------

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 07:47

edit: Oh and these albums would be appreciated 'cause they are THE masterpieces.

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 07:55
Rush - Caress of Steel (arguably their most hated album, and one of my favorites lol; not sure if it counts here though lol)

Yes - Drama (its so-so, but just because Anderson's not on here??? seriously!?! you should still listen to it with open ears anyway)

Yes - 90125 (yes, its more a pop album than prog, but its still not bad man)

Genesis - We Can't Dance (getting to be more fond of it each day kind of and again, another pop-like album)

Yes - Heaven & Earth (its not official yet [its getting there i just know it is], but i bet a couple of you saw it comin'... maybe??)

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 11:34
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Rush - Caress of Steel (arguably their most hated album, and one of my favorites lol; not sure if it counts here though lol)

Love CoS. Love it more than *gasp!* 2112 Approve

Posted By: CosmicVibration
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 12:24

Already mentioned and wonderful albums:

Gentle Giant -  The Missing Piece

Yes -  Drama

Yes – Tormato

My addition:

Yes – Talk (Excellent all around and best when played loud on a premium system.  The bottom hits pretty hard on some songs, subwoofer is a must.)

Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 15:47
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I prefer almost anything to AWBH. Yes without Squire? Who wants pork without pig?

Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 16:02
^Yes indeed. A pizza without pepperoni. LOL

Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 00:27
^ & ^^    - The only track that rubs me the wrong way is Saving My Heart. The rest is pretty darn good, even if it features no less than 13 (!) folks contributing keyboards........
Anyone for ABWHSRKEDAGMTOHJKE ???

Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 00:39
^ I guess one of those 'E''s is for Evangelios Papathanassiou ?

my version of the album actually makes no reference to any other musicians presumably because there were so many?

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 00:39

^ & ^^    - The only track that rubs me the wrong way is Saving My Heart. The rest is pretty darn good, even if it features no less than 13 (!) folks contributing keyboards........
Let me guess some LOL

Anderson
Bruford
Wakeman
Howe
Squire
Rabin
Kaye
Elias 
Anderson(Jon's daughter)

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 01:06

Yes - Drama (its so-so, but just because Anderson's not on here??? seriously!?! you should still listen to it with open ears anyway)

Anyone who thinks Drama is 'so-so' is swayed by impression, not reality.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 01:30
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

[QUOTE=Michael678] Yes - Drama (its so-so, but just because Anderson's not on here??? seriously!?! you should still listen to it with open ears anyway)

Sadly, it seems that the same thing is repeated with that great contemporary crossover prog album Heaven & Earth.

Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 01:45
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Let me guess some LOL
Anderson
Bruford
Wakeman
Howe
Squire
Rabin
Kaye
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Elias </span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Anderson(Jon's daughter)</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>

OK guys - you've forced me to pull out my .............LP of this 'experiment' (or commercial venture, if you like) -
........the names I get ......
....well, I typed the list of contributors and was 'timed out' - so here goes again....

Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 02:08
^^ Keyboards/Synths contributions on Yes - 'Union' album....(surnames only.....)
Wakeman
Kaye
Crichton
Elias
Lasarenko
Baker
Barlough
Bennett
Foote
Foraker
Fosdick
Kaplan
Porcaro
....................done deal..........             (Producer's nightmare, by all accounts....)
Still, a highly enjoyable album from the Yes commune.........
OK, then it's ABWHRSKCDLBBBFFFKP ............has a certain ring to it, don't you think.....??

Posted By: javajeff
Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 09:03
I do not know of any completely trashed albums, but Glass Hammer Chronometree has excellent musicianship with extremely average reviews.  The entire Glass Hammer catalog should have some higher ratings.  As far as new releases go, Anathema Distant Satellites should be getting better reviews since I think it is one of their best releases.  It is rated lower than their last 7 studio recordings on PA.

Posted By: Alucard
Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 09:30
Triumvirat : Russian Roulette
I am not a Triumvirat fan, but I quite like some of their records. I found RR in a salesbin and when it popped up on my CD player I was pleasantly surprised. It's songoriented AOR material, very well produced with Steve Porcaro, Steve Lukather and Neal Stubbenhaus as guest stars delivering very listenable mainstream rock songs not unlike Toto. Nearly everybody gaves this record one star. It's not prog ok, but nearly all reviewers tried to overpass themselves in trashing that record in the most un-critical way.

-------------
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 09:41
The first two 'mach 1' Renaissance albums. The 1969 self titled debut and, to a lesser extent, the 1971 Illusion album that was originally only issued in Germany. Both albums feature later Strawbs keyboard wizard John Hawken and sorely underrated guitarist Keith Relf. Relf's sister Jane has a great contralto voice that's a nice change from Annie Haslam's bright soprano at times and Hawken's classical piano really melds this former Yardbirds group together.

Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 12:26
Originally posted by Alucard Alucard wrote:

Triumvirat : Russian Roulette
I am not a Triumvirat fan, but I quite like some of their records. I found RR in a salesbin and when it popped up on my CD player I was pleasantly surprised. It's songoriented AOR material, very well produced with Steve Porcaro, Steve Lukather and Neal Stubbenhaus as guest stars delivering very listenable mainstream rock songs not unlike Toto. Nearly everybody gaves this record one star. It's not prog ok, but nearly all reviewers tried to overpass themselves in trashing that record in the most un-critical way.
Some love for Russian Roulette!Thumbs UpClap I never thought I'd see the day. You've made some great points. If you take the album as it's own entity, and not make a necessary requirement it sounding like early Triumvirat, it actually has some merit. Thanks for your post.

Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 12:51

^^ Keyboards/Synths contributions on Yes - 'Union' album....(surnames only.....)
Wakeman
Kaye
Crichton
Elias
Lasarenko
Baker
Barlough
Bennett
Foote
Foraker
Fosdick
Kaplan
Porcaro
....................done deal..........             (Producer's nightmare, by all accounts....)
Still, a highly enjoyable album from the Yes commune.........
OK, then it's ABWHRSKCDLBBBFFFKP ............has a certain ring to it, don't you think.....??

Ta

My confusion about Vangelis is in the link below

http://elsew.com/data/featured.htm" rel="nofollow - http://elsew.com/data/featured.htm

he actually co wrote a track that was a rejected J & V track apparently

Date Posted: August 07 2014 at 16:41
Fotheringay: Fotheringay    The 1970 album by the late great Sandy Denny and her husband Trevor Lucas. Great songs, great performances and is the apex, IMO, of Denny's work after leaving Fairport Convention. It's also the best singing and songwriting by Lucas as well as usually dull producer Joe Boyds best work. Awesome.

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 11:01
Yes - Drama

Gentle Giant - In'terview

Posted By: LSDisease
Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 11:20
Rush - Caress Of Steel
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut (my fav Floyd album)

A Passion Play was also bashed by the critis when it was released but those self-righteous arseholes can suck my balls.

-------------
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 11:26
Tell us how you really feel.   

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 12:09
Originally posted by LSDisease LSDisease wrote:

Rush - Caress Of Steel
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut (my fav Floyd album)

A Passion Play was also bashed by the critis when it was released but those self-righteous arseholes can suck my balls.
TAAB= HeadbangerAPP= Dead          Well, I know what category I'm in! LOL

Posted By: uvtraveler
Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 13:01
Utopia - Utopia    I'm still amazed at the quality of this work.  One of the most underrated recordings ever, IMO
Starcastle - Starcastle   Derivative, but I still think it's well done.

UK - Night after Night  -- Even though Wetton watered down any prog rock thing he touched, still love Jobson's contributions.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 13:04

It's just been voted in the top 100 prog albums of all time by Prog magazine, so possibly more appreciated than you think.

Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 15:23

Point taken, I believe the 1975 album has its share of fans - opinion seems divided on that one.  Me, I gave it five stars.  I think if you like World you'll also like Gate, though side 2 is pure pop, be warned.  But it's really good pop.

I like good pop too, so I'm really going to try,

Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 15:26
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I prefer almost anything to AWBH. Yes without Squire? Who wants pork without pig?

I do. I'm a porkitarian sometimes, and ABWH is one of my favorite Yes Wink albums. As much as I like Squire, ABWH did well without him. 

Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 15:28

Wakeman
Kaye
Crichton
Elias
Lasarenko
Baker
Barlough
Bennett
Foote
Foraker
Fosdick
Kaplan
Porcaro

Great LOL
BTW I dislike Union, but that aside

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 08 2014 at 19:51
I could name names and would be surprised if any of you have heard them. LOL

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: August 10 2014 at 02:32
Genesis' debut has always been one of my favourites, along with Invisible Touch and Duke.

Other more popularly unpopular stuff:

Yes - Fly From Here, Time And A Word, s/t
Supertramp - Indelibly Stamped
Jethro Tull - This Was
Rush - Presto, and the first 3 albums (although loved by a few Rush fans)
Caravan - s/t (5 stars for me)
Egg - s/t (again, 5 stars)
Pavlov's Dog - At The Sound Of The Bell
Sigur Ros - Valtari
Procol Harum - Something Magic, A Salty Dog
Tangerine Dream - Zeit (divided among most, so thought I'd include it)

and most Anthony Phillips albums Smile

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 10 2014 at 13:44
I'm a fan of proto prog /early prog and I have always thought that Fantasy's 2 albums ; Fantasy and Beyond the Beyond deserve more love. 
Alanderie from Beyond......

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Hnrz
Date Posted: August 10 2014 at 16:25
Cressida

Date Posted: August 11 2014 at 07:47

I like good pop too, so I'm really going to try,

It turns out that I like it. 
I already knew two or three songs from a Greatest Hits album, like the song "78th Avenue".
Although it does have a lot of pop/funk/disco elements there are some great harmonic inventions, and the drums and the production are awesome!
I don't like it as much as Song Of The Marching Children, Atlantis and To The World Of The Future, but I'm glad I tried it out.
The lesson for me: never stop exploring a band when the PA (or other) ratings go down. Approve

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 11 2014 at 08:37
To mention a few:

• Marillion - Holidays in Eden
  • Fish - Suits
  • Alquin - Best Kept Secret

-------------

Posted By: threaz
Date Posted: August 11 2014 at 10:19

Posted By: melotron98
Date Posted: August 11 2014 at 14:39
PF - Ummagumma Wink
TD - Zeit
TD - Electronic Meditation
KS - Irrlicht
KS - Picasso Geht Spazieren / La Vie Electronique 12
Etron Fou Leloublan - Batelages

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: August 11 2014 at 19:46
Renaissance Novella
Nova Vimana
Steve Hacket Please Don't Touch
Laurent Thibault Mais on ne peut pas rêver tout le temps
Talking Heads Remain in Light
Kate Bush The Dreaming
David Sylvian Brilliant Trees
Pat Metheny Secret Story
Ozric Tentacles Jurassic Shift
Landberk Indian Summer
Pure Reason Revolution The Dark Third
Kotebel Omphalos
Ulver Shadows of the Sun
Wobbler Rites at Dawn
Brother Ape A Rare Moment of Insight
Ga'an Ga'an
The Amazing Gentle Stream
The Gabriel Construct Interior City

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: january4mn
Date Posted: August 11 2014 at 20:59
One that comes to mind right away is Azure D'or from Renaissance. I love that album! I think they're all great tracks and very 70's progressive in the keyboard sounds and effects. And it's a very good one for hearing another side of Mike Dunford--playing Electric for a change!

Ken

Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: August 11 2014 at 21:38
Originally posted by uvtraveler uvtraveler wrote:

Utopia - Utopia    I'm still amazed at the quality of this work.  One of the most underrated recordings ever, IMO
Starcastle - Starcastle   Derivative, but I still think it's well done.

UK - Night after Night  -- Even though Wetton watered down any prog rock thing he touched, still love Jobson's contributions.
It's regarded very well here, great reviews. Though, very few reviews. I think it's one of the best albums ever. (We're talking about Todd Rundgren's Utopia, right?) You can find it at most record stores for 50 cents, haha. I even think Freedom Fighters is one of Todd's greats. 

And hey: Talking about Todd, what about Something/Anything?? It's experimental, it's poppy, it's brilliant. Quality piece of work.

Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Genesis' debut has always been one of my favourites, along with Invisible Touch and Duke.

Other more popularly unpopular stuff:

Yes - Fly From Here, Time And A Word, s/t
Supertramp - Indelibly Stamped
Jethro Tull - This Was
Rush - Presto, and the first 3 albums (although loved by a few Rush fans)
Caravan - s/t (5 stars for me)
Egg - s/t (again, 5 stars)
Pavlov's Dog - At The Sound Of The Bell
Sigur Ros - Valtari
Procol Harum - Something Magic, A Salty Dog
Tangerine Dream - Zeit (divided among most, so thought I'd include it)

and most Anthony Phillips albums Smile

My favorite artist right there (I don't hide it Wink) all Private Parts I love, Seventh Heaven may be my favorite album from him, Tarka's probably my favorite soundtrack (behind Blade Runner), 1984 is one of my faves to come out in the '80's, even The Missing Links is great, relaxing stuff... I'll stop myself there...

Some I love (but others not so much): 
Caravan — Waterloo Lily
Devin Townsend — Physicist
Glass Hammer — The Inconsolable Secret (the only Hammer album I like)
Eh, that's all I can think of for now.

Date Posted: August 11 2014 at 22:39
Originally posted by Hnrz Hnrz wrote:

Cressida

Love both of their albums....Approve

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: August 11 2014 at 22:41
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Renaissance Novella
Nova Vimana
Kate Bush The Dreaming
Pat Metheny Secret Story
Landberk Indian Summer
Kotebel Omphalos
Ulver Shadows of the Sun
Wobbler Rites at Dawn
Ga'an Ga'an
Good list.....and I'll put a plug in for Wobbler.....I play Rites weekly.
That album puts me in a really nice pastoral mystical mood.
Thumbs Up

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: August 12 2014 at 08:59
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

^The great majority of the prog I enjoy are either trashed or unknown by my brazilian friends and the brazilian critics, exception still made to Pink Floyd and Aerosmith (even though I consider them prog-related).
And this is the part that is hard to discuss in this bored! (can't use "board" anymore!)

There are too many admins that simply go out of their way to just stick to the idea of top ten, and their "numbers" and as such they are not capable, even worse WILLING to give different musics a good listen, because the only listen they can do is the perfunctory 7 minutes, and then back to playing their favorite piece of music, because they can't handle something different.

I have been a huge proponent, for example, of the early days work of Egberto Gismonti, on his guitars, as very progressive, hard to even consider them "jazz", but mentioning it here, is like a death knell for him and Brazilian music, because these people have no idea, and they think that Flora Purim, Airto, Milton Nascimento, Astrud Gilberto, Villa Lobos, and so many others, were nobodies that couldn't possibly know music, or play it, because only London and NY have music and the media for it!

Even now, it's almost impossible to get these folks to give a DECENT listen to different things. The immediate reaction is always negative!

Another example ... check out the Japanese thread ... for the number of posts in it, it should be the number one thread in the bored. Wanna check how many of these other folks actually heard anything? You got the idea!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: August 12 2014 at 10:40

Renaissance Novella
Nova Vimana
Kate Bush The Dreaming
Pat Metheny Secret Story
Landberk Indian Summer
Kotebel Omphalos
Ulver Shadows of the Sun
Wobbler Rites at Dawn
Ga'an Ga'an
Pretty good list BF.

Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Date Posted: August 12 2014 at 13:31
Not as much unappreciated but unknown, it still pains me that Captain Beyond never became more than a cult band. I mean, their members came from as popular bands as Deep Purple and Iron Butterfly with the S/T being on the same level at least as the best of either "parent band". I guess they were neglected for being too raw and abrasive for the prog rock scene yet also too weird and quirky for the hard rock crew? Similar to Budgie, who to this day are more influential than popular?

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Date Posted: August 12 2014 at 15:24
Hard to find my own list of unappreciated (well, lowly appreciated) faves.
Even controversial albums like the Asia debut, Yes' 90125 and the ABWH studio album still get a reasonable rating on PA. 
Almost all of my favorite albums are appreciated well, or good enough, on PA.
Actually, after searching in the PA database, I can only find one album that I think is quite well, which is quite lowly appreciated on PA:

Genesis - Invisible Touch

And that's the only album I can find Shocked
Bottomline: 3 clappies Clap for the taste on PA
For the rest, any of my faves gets at least the mentioning "Good, but not essential" on PA, including many albums that are mentioned in this thread by others Wink

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: August 12 2014 at 20:23
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

And this is the part that is hard to discuss in this bored! (can't use "board" anymore!)

There are too many admins that simply go out of their way to just stick to the idea of top ten, and their "numbers" and as such they are not capable, even worse WILLING to give different musics a good listen, because the only listen they can do is the perfunctory 7 minutes, and then back to playing their favorite piece of music, because they can't handle something different.

I have been a huge proponent, for example, of the early days work of Egberto Gismonti, on his guitars, as very progressive, hard to even consider them "jazz", but mentioning it here, is like a death knell for him and Brazilian music, because these people have no idea, and they think that Flora Purim, Airto, Milton Nascimento, Astrud Gilberto, Villa Lobos, and so many others, were nobodies that couldn't possibly know music, or play it, because only London and NY have music and the media for it!

Even now, it's almost impossible to get these folks to give a DECENT listen to different things. The immediate reaction is always negative!

Another example ... check out the Japanese thread ... for the number of posts in it, it should be the number one thread in the bored. Wanna check how many of these other folks actually heard anything? You got the idea!

Yeah right on Moshkito, it is really disappointing what you pointed out, but I think that even worse is when I see my country's (from our country if you are brasilian too) nowadays generation, I can count with the fingers of a hand the people who actually know and/or appreciate at least two of those great brasilian artists you pointed out here, and for them this is a much more painful indifference - in their own country towards artists who belong to the most essential part of the brasilian musical history. Anyway, as it is commonly said: "Nobody is prophet in his own land", but to be honest I consider that the brasilian historical memory in general should have more value for the brasilian people than it has nowadays.

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: August 13 2014 at 01:50

Renaissance Novella
Nova Vimana
Kate Bush The Dreaming
Pat Metheny Secret Story
Landberk Indian Summer
Kotebel Omphalos
Ulver Shadows of the Sun
Wobbler Rites at Dawn
Ga'an Ga'an

Nice list, just wonder about Remain In Light, i think it is one of Talking Heads more "appreciated", got a 4.15 rating on PA, 5/5 stars rewiev on Allmusic, and have been incluede in a multitude is best of lists.
Jurassic in not unappreciated either, with a 4.11 rating on PA, and a 4.5/5 rating on allmusic.

But hey, both brilliant albums, and nice to see David Sylvian on the list, my general impression is that he is not very appreciated on PA, i think most of his output is great, from his experimeltal albums like  http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=6710" rel="nofollow - Alchemy or http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=25383" rel="nofollow - Manafon , to his more singer/songwriter type of albums, not to mention everything he have done with Fripp.

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: Darious
Date Posted: March 21 2015 at 12:41
It's not too much underrated/unappreciated, but I would't mind that the Magnification by Yes scored more in ratings. I absolutely adore this album.

-------------
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 15:03
Yes - Fly From Here
I'm pretty sure it will become a classic in the future. 

I also like Tormato. (won't become a classic, though Tongue)

Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds 
It has a lower score than the random, amateur, ugly assortment of noises called Ummagumma. Come on, people! This one's great!

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark (prog related)
IMO one of their finest albums, possibly the best.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 15:05
Close to the Edge
Selling England by the Pound
Thick as a Brick
Wish You Were Here

These need some love.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: April 14 2015 at 16:56
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

It has a lower score than the random, amateur, ugly assortment of noises called Ummagumma. Come on, people! This one's great!

I completely agree with Obscured by Clouds, probably my favorite Floyd album after Animals. Clap

That Iron Maiden album is great too.

Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 01:49

Yes - Fly From Here
I'm pretty sure it will become a classic in the future. 

I'm pretty sure it won't

Magnification has more chance from later Yes releases

At the time Drama was derided by many because of the Buggles connection but I reckon that has now achieved full blown 'classic' status but in my view there is nothing later by Yes that fits this description. Anderson, Wakeman, Bruford, Howe could have been a contender if it had been YesTongue

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 03:31
Marillion - Holidays in Eden
Rush - Power Windows
Alquin - Nobody Can Wait Forever
Deep Purple - Stormbringer
Richard Wright - Wet Dream & Broken China
Tony Banks - A Curious Feeling
Ark - Burn the Sun
Dream Theater - When Dream & Day Unite

and many others, I'll get back. Big smile

Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 08:34
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

I completely agree with Obscured by Clouds, probably my favorite Floyd album after Animals. Clap

That Iron Maiden album is great too.

Animals is my favorite as well Smile

Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 08:37
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Close to the Edge
Selling England by the Pound
Thick as a Brick
Wish You Were Here

These need some love.

LOL. 
You forgot about Dark Side of the Moon and Pawn Hearts Tongue

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 10:01
The Sum of No Evil by TFK and Fluid Druid by Druid. These are really underrated in my opinion.

Posted By: Green Shield Stamp
Date Posted: April 15 2015 at 12:37
I like the always flawed but always interesting nature of many of Rick Wakeman's solo albums such as: Fields of Green, Retro 1 & 2, Rock and Roll Prophet, Can you hear me, and many others.

-------------
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: April 26 2015 at 19:54
Drama - Yes
Ummagumma - Pink Floyd
Too Old To Rock 'N Roll, Too Young To Die - Jethro Tull
David Bowie (1967) - David Bowie
The Aerosol Grey Machine - Van Der Graaf Generator 

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Date Posted: April 26 2015 at 20:18
Pell Mell-Moldau
          Just plainly ignored and belittled (or both), this album will surprise you as it is a 1981 release, but unusually doesn't sound like one, and fits in more in a kind of mid seventies symphonic  prog way. And it is all instrumental, which works in it's favor, too. Check it out. (not to be confused with the song Moldau from the band's debut album Marburg)

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: April 26 2015 at 20:45
I do like AWBH and Magnification, but the one Yes album I never see mentioned is The Ladder.  I know there are some less than stellar tracks on it (if I never hear the Messenger again I'd be just fine with that) but the title track is one of the most enjoyable songs Yes ever put out. Not as complex as much of their finer work, but just great fun.

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: April 27 2015 at 12:16
Drama and Magnification - Yes

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: April 27 2015 at 14:53
Anderson, Wakeman, Bruford and Howe - ST
Yes - Big Generator
King Crimson - Discipline, Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair
Genesis - Abacab

All from the eighties and all much maligned.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: April 27 2015 at 15:45
Yes - 90125
Genesis - We Can't Dance
King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell (i feel like)

sorry, that's all i could think of.....OOOHH

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

hey, it is prog-related isn't it?!

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: April 27 2015 at 18:10
Lets start with:

Italian one shot wonder Sunscape and its self-titled release

State Urge- White Rock Experience

John G. Perry- Sunset Wading and Seabird

Lebowski- Cinematic 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: April 27 2015 at 18:17
Then we have     

Both Xang albums- Destiny of a Dream and The Last of Lasts

Carpe Nota- same

Patrick Broguiere- Mont St-Michel

Cosmos Dream- How to Reach Infinity

Exodus- Most Beautiful Day 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: April 27 2015 at 18:27
and 

Italian one shot wonder Foglie di Vetro and its self-titled release

From.uz- Sodom & Gomorrah

Final Conflict- Return of the Artisan

Isotope- Illusion

Mad Fellaz- same

Both Resonaxis albums – same and Hymnarium

Minstrel- Faust 

-------------

Posted By: Friday13th
Date Posted: April 28 2015 at 10:09
Carmen - Fandangos in Space is a groundbreaking album in flamanco prog. Sounds kinda like Jethro Tull in places since they toured with Tull in the early 70s, but really, a average rating under 4.00 is ludicrous. One of my favorites.

Posted By: quasar k
Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 12:28
How about... 
The Beach Boys - Endless Summer and Pet Sounds

Just one example, overappreciated is underappreciated, and I call this "Sgt. Pepper Syndrome." 

I have a friend who is a huge Animal Collective fan. He's an independent artist who makes EDM, and almost everything he listens to is contemporary. Basically, he pigeonholed the Beach Boys as AM radio nostalgia. Although I played these two records frequently while we worked together, he never heard them. Then one day, after reading a "cool review" by a "cool writer," I played them again. That's what it took to bring out the brilliance to him. He needed somebody else (not me, I'm not cool) to open his mind to the possibility of the Beach Boys. Then it was like a ray of light. He appreciated both groups (BB and AC) in new dimensions. We talked for a while and he asked me to recommend other discs and artists. There is a lot of other stuff out there that suffers similarly. Either the artist or the album, or a song off the album, became so big that it's colored our interpretation of it in ways that we might not be aware is happening. 

That's why... and I hope I don't offend anyone here... why I butt heads with the All Music Guide, and similar all-encompassing guides. Their writers don't always foster understanding or encourage digestion, so much as they levy an arbitrary value judgement on a creative work of art. That's at the core of appreciation. I appreciate Ozu, although I don't particularly enjoy all of his movies. I appreciate Sting, although I don't particularly care for Mr. Sting's works. There is value in everything and this is seperate from taste. I go out and see for myself what these things mean and where thhey fit into their time and in my time. I do the leg work because I enjoy it. Not everyone does, or can do it (CAN! I'm doing Saw Delight right now). So when writers say something is "nonessential," "for hardcore fans only," or "not the best example and you can pass it up" etc., I find this is destructive to music appreciation. 

-------------
I've been ionized, but I'm okay now.

Posted By: quasar k
Date Posted: May 04 2015 at 22:43
Go out on a limb here..

Considering John Tout just passed away and I am currently listening to Ashes Are Burning, I have a big soft spot for the Renaissance albums from the 80s (which Ashes is not). I know, it doesn't have Tout. But I love Camera Camera. I think it's a unique rendering of a band that formed in the late 60s reinventing itself in the 80s (a symphonic prog band on IRS no less) in a way that wasn't really awful. It's not always effective to prove a point by counterexample but let's look at the other examples. The integration of new production techniques and stylistic crossover in the 80s from extant groups of the 70s wasn't always pretty! At least in a retrospective sense, Camera Camera is relevant in a way that stands on its own merits. It's really enjoyable to hear and might lead fans of 80s synth pop into the seminal Renaissance albums of the 70s. A thought. 

-------------
I've been ionized, but I'm okay now.

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: May 05 2015 at 06:35
A good yardstick to apply (for those old enough) is to consider when you stopped buying albums by bands 'on release'.  If you take the 'big four' for instance, for me it was:  ELP - Works Vol. 1; Yes - 90125; Genesis - Duke and Pink Floyd - The Wall.  As a teenager, record buying took resources and after these albums, I decided not to invest in these bands any more.  Interestingly, I returned eventually with Emerson, Lake and Powell, AWBH and 'Momentary Lapse of Reason'.  I did not go back to Genesis unless you count 'Three Sides Live'.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk