Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99219
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 21:03
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Magic The Gathering
Posted By: PrognosticMind
Subject: Magic The Gathering
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 06:11
I searched before I made this thread, and I couldn't find any indication of a Magic thread already existing; forgive me if I'm in error!

Does anyone else play or collect? I've only just recently gotten back into it (M15), and I've got to admit, it reminds me of why I love TCG's in the first place! So, before I go on typing a large post (and potentially have to delete a thread that already exists elsewhere), who else plays or collects?

I bet you can't tell what one of my favorite cards to play is LOL.

Replies:
Date Posted: August 14 2014 at 06:35
BUMP

Wow, there's really nobody else on PA that plays Magic The Gathering?!

I've been building and experimenting with the new M15 cards like crazy. I really enjoy making and playing with five-color decks, and I've almost got my latest one down pat. Lots of playing and experimenting with the lady (yes, she plays; I'm one lucky guy).

Nobody else here plays this game? I kind of find that hard to believe! LOL

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: August 14 2014 at 08:46
I started playing MTG two years ago on the Innistrad block. I have a white/green human and angels deck and a blue/white aura deck.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: August 14 2014 at 10:36
I play and im the best. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: August 14 2014 at 11:54
I play it on steam because I'm too shy to play irl and refuse to play for magic online.

Date Posted: August 15 2014 at 06:01
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I started playing MTG two years ago on the Innistrad block. I have a white/green human and angels deck and a blue/white aura deck.

Awesome! Sounds like a great combination. I tweaked my five-color deck yesterday, and it's definitely improving. My biggest issue is keeping enough guys on the battlefield to block/counter while I ramp up mana to get my green monsters (Terra Stomper x 2 and several others I forget the names of) casted and out. It's a very well-rounded deck, and I have all sorts of spell counters and blocks to knock opponents off their guard when they try and exile my big guys Wink.

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I play and im the best. 

What are you running for a deck? Smile

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

I play it on steam because I'm too shy to play irl and refuse to play for magic online.

Totally understandable. I don't feel that I'm ready to play with strangers yet, as I still have several questions about the rules. We're going to a Friday Night Magic session tonight just to watch other people play. I feel like that's a really smart idea to understand the game more clearly!

Date Posted: August 15 2014 at 07:37
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

Awesome! Sounds like a great combination. I tweaked my five-color deck yesterday, and it's definitely improving. My biggest issue is keeping enough guys on the battlefield to block/counter while I ramp up mana to get my green monsters (Terra Stomper x 2 and several others I forget the names of) casted and out. It's a very well-rounded deck, and I have all sorts of spell counters and blocks to knock opponents off their guard when they try and exile my big guys Wink.

The only five-color deck I played was the slivers deck from MTG 2014 but I didn't like it much because I never had the colors I needed LOL
I was thinking of starting a mono green monsters deck: they cost a lot of mana but a friend of mine had great mana ramp cards that when I played my first creature he would play a Pelakka Wurm on his next turn Tongue

One of the most interesting games I played was a 4 vs 4: we played for 6 hours and we didn't take longer because someone gave up to finish it. It also took some effort to see the cards from the team player that was on the other side of the table LOL

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 09:13

The only five-color deck I played was the slivers deck from MTG 2014 but I didn't like it much because I never had the colors I needed LOL
I was thinking of starting a mono green monsters deck: they cost a lot of mana but a friend of mine had great mana ramp cards that when I played my first creature he would play a Pelakka Wurm on his next turn Tongue

One of the most interesting games I played was a 4 vs 4: we played for 6 hours and we didn't take longer because someone gave up to finish it. It also took some effort to see the cards from the team player that was on the other side of the table LOL

Ironically, I built a monster green deck last night with the 2015 fat pack we just got; it's super brutal, and massive growth gets played like crazy lol. Yes, they do indeed have amazing mana ramping, especially the elf creatures who can be tapped as extra manna. My gf plays a red/black deck that has all sorts of destroy target creature cards, and she used to kick my ass constantly, Now I've got a plethora of huge trampling creatures that she can only keep at bay for so long, lol.

Some of my personal favorite cards in my green deck:

^This guy with an invisibility enchant attached to him is absolutely brutal

^Super awesome come-back card Wink

We also checked out Friday Night Magic in town last evening, and it looks like a promising community. I want to really get my deck to where I want it before I start playing with randoms. I don't quite have the confidence in the rule set to not look like a noob LOL.

I also got a bunch of Sliver cards in said fat pack, and I totally want to make a five-color Sliver-driven deck in the future when I get the other colors!

That 4 vs 4 game sounds intense; that's still WAY over my head at this point LOL.

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 09:53

Ironically, I built a monster green deck last night with the 2015 fat pack we just got; it's super brutal, and massive growth gets played like crazy lol. Yes, they do indeed have amazing mana ramping, especially the elf creatures who can be tapped as extra manna. My gf plays a red/black deck that has all sorts of destroy target creature cards, and she used to kick my ass constantly, Now I've got a plethora of huge trampling creatures that she can only keep at bay for so long, lol.

We also checked out Friday Night Magic in town last evening, and it looks like a promising community. I want to really get my deck to where I want it before I start playing with randoms. I don't quite have the confidence in the rule set to not look like a noob LOL.

I also got a bunch of Sliver cards in said fat pack, and I totally want to make a five-color Sliver-driven deck in the future when I get the other colors!

That 4 vs 4 game sounds intense; that's still WAY over my head at this point LOL.

Red/black decks are really powerful if played right. A friend of mine has a very funny combo on his red/black deck: Master of Cruelties equiped with Wispersilk Cloak and Goblin Fireslinger to deal 1 damage LOL

Those are great cards: I can't believe they are common and uncommon. On late game you can probably play a 10/10 with 4 green mana Smile

I really like the Theros block, I added a lot of creatures and auras to my two decks. I specially like this one Tongue :

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 10:08

Red/black decks are really powerful if played right. A friend of mine has a very funny combo on his red/black deck: Master of Cruelties equiped with Wispersilk Cloak and Goblin Fireslinger to deal 1 damage LOL

Those are great cards: I can't believe they are common and uncommon. On late game you can probably play a 10/10 with 4 green mana Smile

I really like the Theros block, I added a lot of creatures and auras to my two decks. I specially like this one Tongue :

^YES, that card is excellent! I've found that I seem to like Theros best out of all the spin-offs, as well. Im constructing a killer blue deck as we speak. 

I can't wait to test it out tonight Big smile.

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 10:22
Blue is fun, unless the opponent plays blue Tongue
One of the most boring games I've seen was blue/red vs blue/red: both of them were expecting for the other to play anything so they could counter it, but both only had counters and creature damage LOL

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 10:24

Blue is fun, unless the opponent plays blue Tongue
One of the most boring games I've seen was blue/red vs blue/red: both of them were expecting for the other to play anything so they could counter it, but both only had counters and creature damage LOL

Lmao, exactly. I'm definitely a counter-driven player; I like knowing what the hell is coming instead of betting my precious mana costs. I love setting up traps for my opponent to walk into, then hitting them with a counter, an instant, a sorcery, and then another instant while they're starting their next turn LOL.

Tons of mana is crucial to a good blue deck.

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 10:35
I never liked much counter blue decks. I like building my battlefield and exiling creatures when needed and then attack when I have the advantage. That's why I prefer white Smile

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 10:39

I never liked much counter blue decks. I like building my battlefield and exiling creatures when needed and then attack when I have the advantage. That's why I prefer white Smile

I definitely like doing that with red-driven decks; that have an advantage in that area for sure. However, there's much fulfillment to be had when playing an aggro player who thinks they can just mow through you, and you're two turns ahead/stocked, and deliver an incredible combo Wink.

As an aquarius, I find it hilarious that I'm drawn to the theme/advantages of the blue cards. My gf is an aries, and is also drawn to the powers of red. Intelligent game designers, if you ask me, lol.

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 10:53
I've played against some great red/white decks: white for exile and defense and red for direct damage and first/double strike Cool
I was thinking of building one, but I have too much white already LOL

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 11:25
I've also found that a solid green deck can make a red deck player burn through resources like crazy trying to keep large creatures out of battle, leaving them open for the fourth or fifth wave of 5/5+ creatures LOL.

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 11:55
Nice Smile
Speaking of red deck player, once I've played a fun game against a mono red deck with lots of direct damage and land destroy. I lost with exactly 0 life, he won with 1 and I had absolutely no permanents on the battlefield LOL

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 12:27
^That's nuts! Ah, red deck games LOL

I just built an awesome blue deck:

Creatures (16)
1 Coral Barrier
1 Trained Condor
2 Wall of Frost
4 Frost Lynx
2 Nimbus of the Isles
1 Prescient Chimera 
1 Mahamoti Djinn
2 Bronze Sable
2 Omen Speaker

Other Spells (20)
1 Aetherspouts 
4 Divination 
2 Jace's Ingenuity
2 Negate
2 Peel from Reality
1 Turn to Frog
1 Mind Sculpt
1 Cancel
1 Retraction Helix
1 Void Snare
1 Hydrosurge
1 Spellblast
1 Staff of the Mind Magus
1 Invisibility

Lands (24)
24 Islands

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 13:13
Wall of Frost is nice.
I think Nimbus of the isles costs a lot of mana: you could use Aven Fleewing instead; it cost 1 less and has hexproof.
Why is Mahamoti rare? It has no habilities and cost too much mana (for a rare of course).
I didn't know Aetherspouts: it's so much better than Aetherize.
Turn to frog is so fun: I saw it once being used on a 50/50 creature Cool

It seems promissing, I can imagine your opponents being pissed off LOL

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 13:22
I used to play MTG about 10-12 years ago. I've seen some of the new cards and am still a bit lost on all the new abilities and themes added to the game. Then again, I'm sure there are some older chaps than myself that though the same thing after playing in the 80's to early 90's.

I still think it's a fun game, just don't have the resources to play it now.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 14:08

Wall of Frost is nice.
I think Nimbus of the isles costs a lot of mana: you could use Aven Fleewing instead; it cost 1 less and has hexproof.
Why is Mahamoti rare? It has no habilities and cost too much mana (for a rare of course).

Nimbus is a trade off, but the mana curve on this deck is the most precise I've ever had it with anything I've built thus far. I don't own any Aven Fleewing, unfortunately; I had to improvise the best I could with what I've got! I actually have four Mahamoti total (not in this deck, of course lol). I have no idea how I got all of those. I have four Prognostic Sphinx as well, but I can never seem to find a good reason to sub him in.

Aetherspouts rules; I haven't gotten to use it yet, but it looks very promising and game-leveling.

Turn to Frog is probably one of my favorite cards for the reason you've mentioned above. It's the ultimate pisser to cocky opponents. the only thing more aggravating than TtF is this card:

I need to get a couple of these in my deck, and things will get REALLY interesting LOL.

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 14:09
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I used to play MTG about 10-12 years ago. I've seen some of the new cards and am still a bit lost on all the new abilities and themes added to the game. Then again, I'm sure there are some older chaps than myself that though the same thing after playing in the 80's to early 90's.

Totally understandable. Ironically, I got into it recently because it can provide me with enjoyment when funds are low LOL.

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 14:54

Wall of Frost is nice.

Nimbus is a trade off, but the mana curve on this deck is the most precise I've ever had it with anything I've built thus far. I don't own any Aven Fleewing, unfortunately; I had to improvise the best I could with what I've got! I actually have four Mahamoti total (not in this deck, of course lol). I have no idea how I got all of those. I have four Prognostic Sphinx as well, but I can never seem to find a good reason to sub him in.

Aetherspouts rules; I haven't gotten to use it yet, but it looks very promising and game-leveling.

Turn to Frog is probably one of my favorite cards for the reason you've mentioned above. It's the ultimate pisser to cocky opponents. the only thing more aggravating than TtF is this card:

I need to get a couple of these in my deck, and things will get REALLY interesting LOL.

The Prognostic Sphynx is much better than Nimbus: for the same mana cost you can have +0/+2, scry 3 everytime you attack is awesome and you can protect it from opponent spells because this ability is an instant and is resolved before the spell

Aetherspouts is great when the opponent tries to finish you with a lot of creatures. I've been a victim of Aetherize a lot of times LOL

That frog card is awesome, and hexproof doesn't protect the creatures from it Wink

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 14:59
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

The game as changed a lot in the last few years, and many didn't like it or didn't follow it. That's why the Vintage and Legacy formats are popular.

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 15:26

Wall of Frost is nice.

The Prognostic Sphynx is much better than Nimbus: for the same mana cost you can have +0/+2, scry 3 everytime you attack is awesome and you can protect it from opponent spells because this ability is an instant and is resolved before the spell

Aetherspouts is great when the opponent tries to finish you with a lot of creatures. I've been a victim of Aetherize a lot of times LOL

That frog card is awesome, and hexproof doesn't protect the creatures from it Wink

Don't you have to discard a card to play Prognostic Sphinx, though? I always saw that as kind of a drawback; does it have to be from your hand or the field? Can it be the top card on your Library? That's where I get a little confused, otherwise I'd use it!

EDIT: Oh my lord, I understand what you're saying here, lmao. You're correct; I'm definitely subbing in two Prognostic Sphinx's in place of Nimbus! Said discarded card can be from anywhere, right?

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 15:37

Wall of Frost is nice.

Don't you have to discard a card to play Prognostic Sphinx, though? I always saw that as kind of a drawback; does it have to be from your hand or the field? Can it be the top card on your Library? That's where I get a little confused, otherwise I'd use it!

EDIT: Oh my lord, I understand what you're saying here, lmao. You're correct; I'm definitely subbing in two Prognostic Sphinx's in place of Nimbus! Said discarded card can be from anywhere, right?

From your hand only. The discard is only for the ability, not for summoning
http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Discard

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 15:43

From your hand only

Thank you for clarifying that! I wasn't sure what it ascertained to, so I was hesitant to use him. I just subbed in two in place of Nimbus of the Isles Wink.

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 16:07
My friend and i have been collecting the cards since RtR. We have thousands of cards all organized and whatnot. 

I have a deck for each guild LOL

I recently pulled the new Ajani planeswalker from Journey. Twas very happy and joined my playset of Fleecemane lions quite well. 

I also made a new Simic deck utilizing +1 counters, Hyrdas, cloning spells and these two

As the main cards built around.

Building up dozens of colorless for X summons then multiplying them with Vorel is just nasty. I've beaten my friend with 2 attacks one swing from a 8/8 attacker, then next turn it was 16/16. Flying. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 16:10

My friend and i have been collecting the cards since RtR. We have thousands of cards all organized and whatnot. 

I have a deck for each guild LOL

I recently pulled the new Ajani planeswalker from Journey. Twas very happy and joined my playset of Fleecemane lions quite well. 

Now THAT is a bitchin' card! Big smile

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 16:11
True, true. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 16:34
I'm so glad this thread picked up. This will officially be the place where we compare/contrast cards, deck ideas, strategies, etc. Big smile.

Preparing for a stellar evening of Magic The Gathering over here!

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 16:59

I also made a new Simic deck utilizing +1 counters, Hyrdas, cloning spells and these two

As the main cards built around.

Building up dozens of colorless for X summons then multiplying them with Vorel is just nasty. I've beaten my friend with 2 attacks one swing from a 8/8 attacker, then next turn it was 16/16. Flying. Wink

I think Simic is probably the best guild. A friend of mine has an awesome Simic deck, we play the most long and interesting games because my green/white deck is also based on +1 counters. But then he wins me most of the times with this card:

To copy this one:

Or this one:

The only card I play from RtR is this one:

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 05:21
^Isperia is great Smile.

Let's not forget:

Anyone have experience building/playing Sliver decks? That's something I really want to try out...granted I actually come across those cards!

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 05:59
^You can see this deck for inspiration, although this one is three-colored:
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/digital/duelsoftheplaneswalkers.aspx?x=mtg/digital/d14/decklists#nelek" rel="nofollow - http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/digital/duelsoftheplaneswalkers.aspx?x=mtg/digital/d14/decklists#nelek
How was your blue deck yesterday? Smile

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 06:24

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/digital/duelsoftheplaneswalkers.aspx?x=mtg/digital/d14/decklists#nelek" rel="nofollow - http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/digital/duelsoftheplaneswalkers.aspx?x=mtg/digital/d14/decklists#nelek

Oh awesome, thank you for that link!

My deck was VERY good! I kept my opponents at bay (and confused with counters) for MUCH longer than any game previously. My two Prognostic Sphinx were my powerheads and they flew over all non-flying/non-reaching creatures on my opponent's battlefield. Hexproof kept that black magic bullsh*t at bay, and my ice walls and frost lynxs kept them frozen and cost them turns. All three games went on WAY longer than usual; I finally feel like I have a winning combination here!

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 13:59

Oh awesome, thank you for that link!

My deck was VERY good! I kept my opponents at bay (and confused with counters) for MUCH longer than any game previously. My two Prognostic Sphinx were my powerheads and they flew over all non-flying/non-reaching creatures on my opponent's battlefield. Hexproof kept that black magic bullsh*t at bay, and my ice walls and frost lynxs kept them frozen and cost them turns. All three games went on WAY longer than usual; I finally feel like I have a winning combination here!

It seems like a fun deck to play. Blue walls are great and the Prognostic Sphinx is a keeper Smile
If you like the lynxs ability you should get this one as well:

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 21:47
^Great card! Tongue

I acquired this one today:

Now, this card is a bit confusing to me; I understand the first part, but what about the last two parts there? Are all my lands islands (i.e. can if I had a split deck of two or more colors, I could use all mana as either an island or its original color)...as well as opponents? 

Are creatures without flying or islandwalk on both sides unable to attack? 90% of my heavy-hitters in said deck are flying, so I see no problem on that end.

My gf and I always laugh at how you can interpret some cards so many ways LOL.

Ah, to be somewhat new to magic LOL.

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 21:54
Pretty much this card locksdown you opponent. 

Islandwalk allows him to be unblockable if they have islands, which his second effect ensures, because it makes ALL lands Islands as well. Then: It attempts to make Stormtide the only attacker unless another islandwalker is in play (highly unlikely) or flyers. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 21:59

Pretty much this card locksdown you opponent. 

Islandwalk allows him to be unblockable if they have islands, which his second effect ensures, because it makes ALL lands Islands as well. Then: It attempts to make Stormtide the only attacker unless another islandwalker is in play (highly unlikely) or flyers. 

Thank you for answering so quickly. That was my initial assumption, but I didn't know if I was just reading it wrong, as that is one HELL of a card! What an awesome ace up the sleeve LOL.

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 22:08
Cost is kind of high and certain removal or auras can really lock that down. 

I would just Clone it and prolly use something like Banishing Light.

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 22:19

Cost is kind of high and certain removal or auras can really lock that down. 

I would just Clone it and prolly use something like Banishing Light.

LOL

Unless you've got the mana to cover the cost, as well as a few cancel/negate instants to counter your opponent's panic-stricken rebuttal, as well Wink. That's actually the beauty of my deck; it's so well balanced, that I lure my opponent in then capitalize and send in the Prognostic Sphinx with hexproof to finish the deal.

Banishing light is an awesome card that I've gotten quite a bit of use out of already.

Posted By: Luna
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 22:21
HOW HAVE I NOT SEEN THIS THREAD

I play mostly EDH (Sen Triplets and Oros), but have Modern Green Nykthos/Genesis Wave and am about halfway through building U/B Fae. I'm extremely excited for Khans as BWR is a favorite color combination of mine.

-------------
https://aprilmaymarch.bandcamp.com/track/the-badger" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 22:22
Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

HOW HAVE I NOT SEEN THIS THREAD

I play mostly EDH (Sen Triplets and Oros), but have Modern Green Nykthos/Genesis Wave and am about halfway through building U/B Fae. I'm extremely excited for Khans as BWR is a favorite color combination of mine.

Welcome to the party! Smile

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 22:23
EDH and Modern are completely out of my reach ahaha. 

That Triplets card is awesome and quite flavorful. I can see em being great commanders. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 22:29
I have a modern infect deck that's <$20 and can win consistently (unless there's any removal whatsoever). My mono green nykthos deck isn't much more expensive than a Standard deck (though it only preforms slightly better than one). http://deckbox.org/sets/661008" rel="nofollow - Here's the list.

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 22:30

EDH and Modern are completely out of my reach ahaha. 

That Triplets card is awesome and quite flavorful. I can see em being great commanders. 

ALL of what Luna was just saying is beyond my comprehension at this point, lol.

I'm glad there are some serious players here to learn from Smile.

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 22:36
I've been playing since the release of Avacyn Restored (2.5 years?), and while I have a lot of experience, it definitely doesn't show LOL.

Allow me to explain my posts:

EDH (also known as Commander) = Elder Dragon Highlander. It's an alternate format with a 99 singleton card deck and one "Commander" which must be a legendary creature. In commander, the creature gets its own zone in the game and you may cast it any time you can cast a creature (providing you have the mana). If it gets killed/exiled, you can send it back to the command zone and the next time you cast it, it costs an additional 2 colorless mana. Cards in your EDH deck are limited to your commander's color identity, meaning that cards in your deck must match a color in the casting cost of the commander (there are some exceptions but it's complicated).

Modern is a format which is in between Legacy and Standard. All cards with the "modern" card frame are legal unless otherwise banned. It's fast paced and expensive as hell.

U/B Fae is basically a Modern control deck which uses Faerie creature cards to make your opponent mad at you until he/she concedes.

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 22:44

I've been playing since the release of Avacyn Restored (2.5 years?), and while I have a lot of experience, it definitely doesn't show LOL.

Allow me to explain my posts:

EDH (also known as Commander) = Elder Dragon Highlander. It's an alternate format with a 99 singleton card deck and one "Commander" which must be a legendary creature. In commander, the creature gets its own zone in the game and you may cast it any time you can cast a creature (providing you have the mana). If it gets killed/exiled, you can send it back to the command zone and the next time you cast it, it costs an additional 2 colorless mana. Cards in your EDH deck are limited to your commander's color identity, meaning that cards in your deck must match a color in the casting cost of the commander (there are some exceptions but it's complicated).

Modern is a format which is in between Legacy and Standard. All cards with the "modern" card frame are legal unless otherwise banned. It's fast paced and expensive as hell.

U/B Fae is basically a Modern control deck which uses Faerie creature cards to make your opponent mad at you until he/she concedes.

Thank you so much for that insight/information!

If I may ask, what exactly makes Modern so much more expensive than Standard?

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 22:46
Cards are more rare and aren't easily available. 

Plus they're op as f**k sometimes. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 22:50
That was my initial assumption, but I wanted to be sure. 

It's pretty logical that there's a hierarchy of players who would want to hoard as many OP cards as possible, and make crazy decks.

Do you guys go to FNM much? That's something I'd really like to start doing.

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 22:51
Yes i've gone to some but my decks were bad then. I took a break from magic recently but now that im back into it with my kitchen-top bud, we'll prolly go again soon. 

Pre-releases are fun too. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 22:58
Yes, I've seen some cool pre-relase vids on YouTube (boogie2988 is one of my favorite YouTube personalities in general).

I'd love to start going to FNM once I've got a little more confidence, lol. My gf and I started playing about a month back, and we really enjoy it. I love building decks and testing them; I was a Pokemon TCG fanatic back in the day (1998-2002) and would play in-store tournaments all the time. I can't believe it took me this long to discover MTG.

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 23:02
I go to FNM sometimes, but only to draft since I don't have a standard deck. Pre-releases are awesome and I always recommend attending. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 23:03
Same with me, i was nervous and i particularly love making decks too. 

I would really build up a "beefy" deck before joining FNM, though there you can get a lot of help and advice from friendly players. So it could really go either way. 

It's cool that your gf enjoys it too, having a friend or significant other being involved in eachothers' hobbies is a really nice thing.

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 23:10

Same with me, i was nervous and i particularly love making decks too. 

I would really build up a "beefy" deck before joining FNM, though there you can get a lot of help and advice from friendly players. So it could really go either way. 

It's cool that your gf enjoys it too, having a friend or significant other being involved in eachothers' hobbies is a really nice thing.

Something with strong counter spells/instants and a beefy offense is exactly what I'm aiming to achieve. I'm sure I'll get my ass handed to me plenty, but my blue deck is getting increasingly more impressive. And I agree; I'm incredibly lucky to have a gf that's into both MTG and progressive music.

Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 07:34
Also, thank you for linking to DeckBox.org, Luna. 

That site is exactly what I've been looking for Thumbs Up.

Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 07:50

It's a pretty good site, though tappedout.net is also worth checking out.   http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-hope-senpai-notices-me/" rel="nofollow - My EDH deck on tappedout.

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 08:01

It's a pretty good site, though tappedout.net is also worth checking out.   http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-hope-senpai-notices-me/" rel="nofollow - My EDH deck on tappedout.

I've checked out tappedout.net before, it's not bad.

Any new cards/pulls for you lately? Do you usually go for boosters or singles? I've gotten two 2015 deck builder's tool kits and a 2015 fat pack since starting about a month back, and I haven't regretted the purchases. Great way to get started and build an inventory, IMHO.

Have you ever gotten a booster box? Those things are so tempting but such a gamble. I saw a video of a guy pulling a foil NIssa Worldwaker on his second pack, essentially paying for the entire box lmao.

Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 08:11
I bought a Snapcaster a week or so ago, but haven't bought anything since. Haven't bought a pack in a while and am currently building a Pokemon deck.

I've only bought 1 booster box.

Dragon's Maze. 

Unhappy

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 08:17
Dragon's Maze is on its way out, correct? So that means it's not "legal" outside of casual play? That's where I still get confused; Standard is what, only this year's cards/cards that were previously printed, but part of the M15 series? Casual = any and all cards, correct?

Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 08:28

Dragon's Maze is on its way out, correct? So that means it's not "legal" outside of casual play? That's where I still get confused; Standard is what, only this year's cards/cards that were previously printed, but part of the M15 series? Casual = any and all cards, correct?
Yes, when Khans comes, RTR, Gatecrash, Dragon's Maze, and M14 will rotate out. This happens because Standard will have a 2nd block in it, and it can only hold 2 blocks and a core set. Casual is basically whatever you want to play unless you have house rules.

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 08:31

Yes, when Khans comes, RTR, Gatecrash, Dragon's Maze, and M14 will rotate out. This happens because Standard will have a 2nd block in it, and it can only hold 2 blocks and a core set. Casual is basically whatever you want to play unless you have house rules.

That makes total sense, and that's what I assumed. Now, when we say "rotate out" -beyond casual play, of course - is that just for tournament play and/or FNM? That's where I'm still a bit confused. Is FNM usually casual or house rules or something to that effect?

Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 12:46

That makes total sense, and that's what I assumed. Now, when we say "rotate out" -beyond casual play, of course - is that just for tournament play and/or FNM? That's where I'm still a bit confused. Is FNM usually casual or house rules or something to that effect?
FNM is casual, but sanctioned by WotC meaning that all decks must have legal cards for the format being played. If you're a noob and accidentally put a wrong card in it's no big deal, but it's helpful to play by the rules.

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 12:50
You'll be put in the guillotine. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 12:59
^LOL

That's why I made sure my blue deck was mostly, if not all, M15 cards.

Thank you for providing that info, Luna!

Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 07:29
Man, my girlfriend's red/black deck is almost unstoppable!

I need some more heavy-hitting creatures in my deck. I do fine with cancelling out her ridiculous sorcery spells, and sending her front line back into her library, but it's like the entire time I'm just keeping her back without really getting a chance to attack too often. I have won several games with that strategy, then unloading once her front line is down for the win. Flying creatures with 4-5 damage  usually do it, but I need to have plenty of counters in my hand to ward off the sorcery bullsh*t lmao.

I'm thinking of combining the best of my blue and green decks, but I need that balance of powerful with the ability to cancel her from "Flesh to Dust"-ing my big guys. Any tips, friends?

I also assume that playing against other people is what brings the variety out of each deck, and that's also something I haven't had the chance to do yet. I figure if I can overcome that deck, I can pretty much handle anything lol.

Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 08:26
On your blue deck you could have some Mind Control cards to play with your opponent creatures (I won a game yesterday because of that one Wink), or Clone or Claustrophobia

Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 08:28
Cyclonic Rift :3

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 08:39

Dis.

I run two in my Simic. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 08:46
Cyclonic Rift looks like a SICK card. I've got a Claustrophobia or two in my box somewhere - though not presently in my deck. Mind Control looks super brutal as well; thanks guys!

Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 09:02

That's what I call a table cleaner LOL

Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 09:18
Stormtide Leviathan definitely won a game for me LOL.

Flanked from the air via two Prognostic Sphinxes with flying and hexproof.

Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 14:19
Nice. Now idk if u can do this yet or have been, but the smartest way to build your mana curve is to have multiple copies of the same creatures. Playset (4) of a card is the best way in most cases to have a certain card. Big drops like Stormtide def shouldnt have four in a deck but maybe 2-3 depending on other game-enders you have. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 15:05
I prefer having a card of each to having four unless it's important for the core strategy.
I know it's not the best way to build a good deck, but I like to play something different every game, so it doesn't become boring. Smile

Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 17:54
I understand completely - that's how i build some of my decks - more based around 2-3s instead of playsets. 

This is the thinking though: If you have an amazing card 4 time sin the deck you'll have a higher chance of drawing it and utilizing it's strengths in combos and general play compared to having many single cards that might not fit the situation theyre used for all the time. My decks are typically built around a concise theme with the cards built around it with some variety on executing that strategy.   

That's why x4 of some cards is better than x1/x2 of tons of cards. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 20:33

I understand completely - that's how i build some of my decks - more based around 2-3s instead of playsets. 

This is the thinking though: If you have an amazing card 4 time sin the deck you'll have a higher chance of drawing it and utilizing it's strengths in combos and general play compared to having many single cards that might not fit the situation theyre used for all the time. My decks are typically built around a concise theme with the cards built around it with some variety on executing that strategy.   

That's why x4 of some cards is better than x1/x2 of tons of cards. 

I'm starting to truly understand the value of building decks around a few different combos using cards whose value is maximized for the mana it costs to cast/use them. Mana ramping is officially where it's at.

I'm going to post my new green/blue deck shortly Smile.

Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 06:54
So here's my latest green/blue deck: elves to ramp mana, creatures with multiply and deathtouch, and big guys to trample and maximize damage with, all while balancing with some blue counters to negate and cancel an opponent's attempt to rid the field of any heavy-hitters/waste their mana:

http://deckbox.org/sets/762478" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 08:43
Equip your Sedge Scorpion or Hornet Queen with some artifact that has first/double strike. It's super effective Wink

Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 09:06

Equip your Sedge Scorpion or Hornet Queen with some artifact that has first/double strike. It's super effective Wink

Hornet Queen with double strike would be brutal.

I ordered a few Overrun cards. Now THAT'S where this deck is going to get insane Wink.

Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 10:25
I prefer Overwhelming Stampede to Overrun

Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 11:51
^Both great cards.

Here's a valid question; do you guys prefer to run high, mid, or low mana curves most of the time?

I'm already quire fond of mana-ramping, and building in multiple strategies should something get taken out on me. More mana is always better than less; I've had a habit of mana-screwing myself in my first couple of decks. You'll always lose with less mana, but you can sometimes turn things around if you've got plenty running.

Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 15:14
^ But also games where you have only lands on your hand and nothing to play are annoying LOL
It depends a lot on the average mana cost of the cards: for example on one of my decks a can do a lot with three lands but on the other I can't do much without five.

Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 15:50

So here's my latest green/blue deck: elves to ramp mana, creatures with multiply and deathtouch, and big guys to trample and maximize damage with, all while balancing with some blue counters to negate and cancel an opponent's attempt to rid the field of any heavy-hitters/waste their mana:

Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 16:12

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 00:17
Austin, why are you recommending someone to play Cancel? Dissolve is strictly better.

-------------

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 00:19
To answer the question on mana curve preference: it depends.

If I'm playing Modern, the height of my curve is 4 mana for Cryptic Command, and that's for a control deck.
If I'm playing EDH, I need to even it out, but 4 drops will be common as will larger spells.
If I'm drafting, 2 or 3 is ideal.

-------------

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 06:56
^Awesome info, Luna.

Dissolve is an awesome card, I don't think I have any atm though. That's a great example of what I was talking about earlier in regards to extracting maximum value from a card relative to mana cost. I see no point in playing anything that doesn't have at least one secondary effect. 

Hornet's Nest rules, I don't care for any negativity towards that card at all, lol. Bouncing a Hornet Queen (or two) back and forth off the field with something like say, Quickling or Roaring Primadox can be extremely effective as well. I suppose my new strategy is aggro/overwhelm with some built in cancel/negate spells to prevent my opponent from fully clearing the field of all my threats.

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 13:43
Totally pulled this from a booster today:

My first ever planeswalker card Tongue.

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 15:46
Thumbs Up

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 15:57
I guess that's a pretty solid pull, considering I paid $4 for a booster, and that card is worth approximately $17 LOL.

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 16:32
The best card I've pulled from a booster was this one:

I bought some Avacyn Restored boosters because I was trying to pull this one Tongue:

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 16:36
^Yes, both awesome!

Boosters are such a crap-shoot; I literally cussed so excitedly when I pulled that Ajani LOL

So how exactly do planeswalker cards work? Lots of new numbers and counters that I need to learn about Big smile.

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 17:20
The planeswalker is another player that has life, in your case starts with 4 and it has a turn (I think it's after yours) where it can make one of those three actions: the first action gives it life and the others make it lose life. The strategy is to gain life until you can do the -7 action. When an opponent attacks he/she can choose to attack you and/or the planeswalker, but since it doesn't control any creatures you'll have to block with yours.

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 17:31

The planeswalker is another player that has life, in your case starts with 4 and it has a turn (I think it's after yours) where it can make one of those three actions: the first action gives it life and the others make it lose life. The strategy is to gain life until you can do the -7 action. When an opponent attacks he/she can choose to attack you and/or the planeswalker, but since it doesn't control any creatures you'll have to block with yours.

That's what I thought! So it's like another player that's on your side. Also, I like how the game refers to the player him/herself as "plansewalker". That makes total sense. So it just has 4 life (in this case), and takes a turn after me; it doesn't control any creatures, but can be attacked via spells or "target" sorcery/instants from opposing player? I.e. they can't just attack it directly? So after that first turn, if it did that +4, it would be at 8 for the next turn, and could do that -7 move?

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 17:34

Austin, why are you recommending someone to play Cancel? Dissolve is strictly better.

Because his card pool is from M15 not Theros. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 17:40

That's what I thought! So it's like another player that's on your side. Also, I like how the game refers to the player him/herself as "plansewalker". That makes total sense. So it just has 4 life (in this case), and takes a turn after me; it doesn't control any creatures, but can be attacked via spells or "target" sorcery/instants from opposing player? I.e. they can't just attack it directly? So after that first turn, if it did that +4, it would be at 8 for the next turn, and could do that -7 move?

I'm not totally sure if it's after your turn.
The sorcerys/instants from the opponent must say "target planeswalker" (not player). Like this one:

Isn't the first action +1? I think you'll need four turns to have 8

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 17:47
I hope i've haven't been playing this wrong this entire time, but i've never heard of this Planeswalkers' turn thing. 

His abilities can be used on your turn (you control him) at the time of a sorcery spell. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 17:53
You're probably right. I don't have any planeswalkers, I just remember playing against some. I think they did it like that to look like it's an actual player Tongue

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 17:59
Meldowner; I mistyped those numbers; I totally meant +1.

That sorcery card is the perfect example.

I had a hunch planeswalker's were used like sorcery cards as well.

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 18:20
I'm sorry that I was incorrect.
I finished reading the official rules and I understand now the second action.
I thought last year about getting this one, it's quite cheap for a planeswalker:

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk