Print Page | Close Window

ratings system stinks

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements
Forum Name: Report abuse here
Forum Description: Let us know about inappropriate reviews, posts, PMs, etc.
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99285
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 07:59
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: ratings system stinks
Posted By: logosprog
Subject: ratings system stinks
Date Posted: August 12 2014 at 06:14
This is our last mail to the webmaster of this website.

Hi there. we got six one star rating in one day (2 hours to be precise)...

two options: your reviewers that gave to our album 4 or 5 stars are totally idiots or your rating system has something wrong...

this is what we think and what we are going to publish to our channels next soon. This is not a good feedback to people (us) that use time and money to propose original music. One or more dislike should (!?!) be ok if they come in more than two hours... Viceversa they stink as rotten

Replies:
Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: August 12 2014 at 06:28
Ratings without reviews carry very little weight in our rating system. The reviews by collaborators carry the most weight. Reviews by non-collaborators carry more weight than ratings without reviews. Unfortunately, when you allow ratings to be opened to the public, you are going to get people who have nothing better to do with their time than give 1 stars to everything. Obviously, we have no way of knowing if these people really hate your album. However, if it is one troll who has it out for you guy, who has created multiple IDs just for the purpose of giving 1 stars to your albums, than the Admins might take action and remove that person(s) ratings.

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: August 12 2014 at 06:41
I looked at the ratings in questions and it does not appear to be a person who just signed up to give your album 1 star ratings. All of the users in question gave multiple ratings for numerous albums.

That being said, as I mentioned in the previous post, those 1-star ratings carry very little weight when it comes to the overall rating calculation here on ProgArchives. Most users are going to be much more persuaded by the written reviews, and judging by the high ratings given with the reviews of my fellow collaborators, it certainly appears as though you have released an album that deserves to be checked out.

-------------

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: August 12 2014 at 11:47
I rate this thread -1

My only gripe is that people only rating ruin the first review credit.  I you change the rating system then you are more or less tossing out all the ratings of people who have made carefully considered rating decisions.  I mean I would toss out all the ratings where people give something a .5 and round down when I am king and all you people who do that would be up against the wall. Tongue

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: August 12 2014 at 14:06
Ermm The OP seems more than happy to quote the four favourable reviews on his official band website (without crediting the reviewer) and is currently running a 4.40 average from 29 ratings/reviews. If that is an example of the rating system stinking then I'm curious to know what a sweetly fragrant rating system would look like, because...bitching about the six 1-star rating-only's seems a little petty to me.

Sometimes you just have to take the crunchy with the smooth.

-------------
What?

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 12 2014 at 15:06
^Agreed. Many artists show signs of a swollen ego which is very vulnerable to one or two star ratings, regardless of the average rating. Nevertheless I agree to a certain extent with the OP. Most of the member(s) who gave a one star rating have signed up very recently (a member serial ID in the 52000's) and gave a 3- or even 4-digit number of ratings without a single review. Although these usualy trollic ratings throw in little weight, I think it will be a good riddance if ratings without reviews are no longer practised.

@OP: Just listened to the album a few hours ago. Good stuff, my first impression is 4 stars. But this is off the record because I have not written a review Wink.

-------------

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: August 12 2014 at 15:20
Originally posted by logosprog logosprog wrote:

two options: your reviewers that gave to our album 4 or 5 stars are totally idiots or your rating system has something wrong...

this is what we think and what we are going to publish to our channels next soon. This is not a good feedback to people (us) that use time and money to propose original music. One or more dislike should (!?!) be ok if they come in more than two hours... Viceversa they stink as rotten
Wow...just wow! And I was thinking about buying your album too...

Never mind those six rating-only-1-stars (they don't count for much in the rating system, and who cares what those guys think anyway?), the way you come off in this thread makes me questioning if I'd want your album in my collection. Talk about bad publicity!

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 12 2014 at 15:55

Have you ever considered that, perhaps, your album sucks? I haven't heard it, personally, but it seems to be garnering quite a few 1 star ratings.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: August 12 2014 at 17:14

This plan might backfire. What do you think the readers will think of you writing such an over-reactive post about a few ambiguous, unexplained ratings? Is there really a room for some form of anti-PA propaganda on your channels?

These things happen. What do you want our webmaster or our reviewers to do? Apologize?

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: August 12 2014 at 20:39
Logosprog, you don't really need to let a couple of anonymous `1 star' ratings worry you. Just pay attention to the (majority) 4 and 5 star ratings, as well as very positive glowing reviews from the more established reviewers on the Archives.

Pretty much EVERY SINGLE ARTIST on this site will have a mix of good and bad ratings/reviews and you can't take it personally. For everyone that loves this work, there's bound to be others who it does nothing for. That's not to say your work is no good! Just that that particular listener did not respond to it.

In very rare cases you'll also find other musicians/bands being a little annoyed that your work is getting mostly all-around rave reactions, but you know what - f**k them! The proof is all there on your disc, nothing they can do about it but pick up their own game.

With more prog music across every related sub-genre available than ever before, the poorer efforts will not get the attention, so those artists need to work harder to make their own efforts stand out.

So relax and don't stress about it. You've got a generally highly regarded work that has been a firm favourite of 2014 for numerous prog listeners.

Posted By: logosprog
Date Posted: August 13 2014 at 01:33
So sorry for this our silly thread.
thanks
Logos

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 10:16
Should not be a problem PA is full of silly threads. Fortunately there is some great reviewers here who are very serious about honesty in reviewing. A rating without a review is about as important as......... not much. Keep proggin...

Posted By: thedunno
Date Posted: August 26 2014 at 08:29
I was yesterday listening again to Ut gret - Ancestors tale. For me its a very likeable album, full with great tunes and sounds. Everyone could find something to enjoy there. I wondered how it scored on PA and was suprised by  the relatively low score. When I looked up the ratings i saw about HALF of the ratings where one stars.  You can say that one star rating means nothing but when about the half of the ratings is 1 star and there is only 1 real review (which was 5 stars btw) those one star ratings bring the average down considerably.

I clicked a few one star rating profiles and it was shocking. One profile had about 150 ratings on RIO-albums with an average of 1,2. Other profiles had similar averages.

I think those people (if they have listened at all) just listened to a few snippets on progstreaming, decided it was not for them and rewarded the experience with 1 one star rating on PA. For me this is extremely unfair to the artist and it might influence actual potential buyers.

To compensate a bit for those 1 star losers i wrote a (small) review on Ut gret. Check it out; its a lovely album.

I would get rid of the simple ratings at all. Just allow reviews.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 26 2014 at 09:09
Just to point out that the album generally regarded as the greatest prog album of all time has around 30 1-star ratings.

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: August 26 2014 at 09:21
Originally posted by thedunno thedunno wrote:

So if you'd like to rate "Foxtrot" (or DTSOM or some other monster album) you have to write one more review which nobody would bother to read to 1000 existing ones? For God's sake no!

Want it or not, if the album is popular it has noticeable number of reviews, if it's not popular some 1- or 5-star ratings will never make it popular. It's up to artists to decide what's wrong with their music: is it its quality, the lack of promotion or bad stars' disposition at the moment of release.

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 26 2014 at 09:29
The trick is to disregard the ratings (if they're not made by people you trust) and go straight to the reviewsWink

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 26 2014 at 10:46
In case of lesser known (unknown) albums it's easy - read not numerous reviews and ignore ratings, I hope it's not a brainer for most people. Wink
No need to revolutionize "stinking" rating system.

-------------

Date Posted: August 26 2014 at 10:49
I agree Eugene, that is unless we could be rid of them altogether (which isn't going to happen).

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 26 2014 at 11:09

I was yesterday listening again to Ut gret - Ancestors tale. For me its a very likeable album, full with great tunes and sounds. Everyone could find something to enjoy there. I wondered how it scored on PA and was suprised by  the relatively low score. When I looked up the ratings i saw about HALF of the ratings where one stars.  You can say that one star rating means nothing but when about the half of the ratings is 1 star and there is only 1 real review (which was 5 stars btw) those one star ratings bring the average down considerably.

I clicked a few one star rating profiles and it was shocking. One profile had about 150 ratings on RIO-albums with an average of 1,2. Other profiles had similar averages.

I think those people (if they have listened at all) just listened to a few snippets on progstreaming, decided it was not for them and rewarded the experience with 1 one star rating on PA. For me this is extremely unfair to the artist and it might influence actual potential buyers.

To compensate a bit for those 1 star losers i wrote a (small) review on Ut gret. Check it out; its a lovely album.

I just had a look at a few of the 1 star reviewers of Ut Gret, most have them have just signed up in the last 2 months, have rated thousands of albums and consistently give the couple of hundred RIO albums they rated 1 or 2 stars. Sorry but this is just nuts. They really all have listened to those albums well enough to rate them? If I hated RIO that much I'd stop listening to them after the first few dozen. Bizarre.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 03:01
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I just had a look at a few of the 1 star reviewers of Ut Gret, most have them have just signed up in the last 2 months, have rated thousands of albums and consistently give the couple of hundred RIO albums they rated 1 or 2 stars. Sorry but this is just nuts. They really all have listened to those albums well enough to rate them? If I hated RIO that much I'd stop listening to them after the first few dozen. Bizarre.
A collaborators review might help a bit to compensate for those losers <hint>

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 04:11

Threats ?

Sometimes people abuse a system, deal with it.   But don't threaten, it's childish and unbecoming.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 06:23
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

So if you'd like to rate "Foxtrot" (or DTSOM or some other monster album) you have to write one more review which nobody would bother to read to 1000 existing ones? For God's sake no!
Are you saying that the rating (given by the reviewer) makes the review stand out?

Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 06:40
For writing a review the reviewer must take the time and efford to formulate his thoughts. Just allowing reviewes will get rid of the gremlins who just give quick 1 star ratings for pleasure.

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 08:02

For writing a review the reviewer must take the time and efford to formulate his thoughts. Just allowing reviewes will get rid of the gremlins who just give quick 1 star ratings for pleasure.
This has been discussed, and the site owner's rationale of allowing ratings only is to encourage participation in the rating process by non-English speaking visitors.  Only allowing ratings with a review alienates that sector of the audience.  Some may think, "yeah? so what?" to this, but when considering the economics, it makes sense to broaden the appeal of the site globally if possible.  The thoughtless 1-star mavericks out there are just one such drawback that any system could encounter.  I think the heavy weighting of ratings with reviews compared to ratings without reviews is a good solution which greatly compensates for that drawback.  Few if any systems we devise could be perfect.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 08:05
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

This has been discussed, and the site owner's rationale of allowing ratings only is to encourage participation in the rating process by non-English speaking visitors.  Only allowing ratings with a review alienates that sector of the audience.  Some may think, "yeah? so what?" to this, but when considering the economics, it makes sense to broaden the appeal of the site globally if possible.  The thoughtless 1-star mavericks out there are just one such drawback that any system could encounter.  I think the heavy weighting of ratings with reviews compared to ratings without reviews is a good solution which greatly compensates for that drawback.  Few if any systems we devise could be perfect.

Completely agree with this Guru-Steve.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 08:26
It's an idea I'm all too familiar with in my day job.  I have to devise and implement consistent, defensible methodologies to distribute millions of dollars to over a thousand doctors.  No matter what I do, and how fairly I do it, there's always a few complainers who feel they got shortchanged somehow.  You just can't please everyone.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 08:29
I know this all too well, but I'll remember the doctor analogy for future purposes.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 08:53

A collaborators review might help a bit to compensate for those losers <hint>

Oh I'll write one at some stage :)

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 19:23
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Are you saying that the rating (given by the reviewer) makes the review stand out?
Confused I'm saying that simple ratings should stay.

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 05:54

I just had a look at a few of the 1 star reviewers of Ut Gret, most have them have just signed up in the last 2 months, have rated thousands of albums and consistently give the couple of hundred RIO albums they rated 1 or 2 stars. Sorry but this is just nuts. They really all have listened to those albums well enough to rate them? If I hated RIO that much I'd stop listening to them after the first few dozen. Bizarre

ON a closer look : i think those 7 1-star ratings for Ut Gret are all the same guy. Last visit was for all at 24/8 around noon. They gave 1 star ratings to a lot of the same bands and albums and also 5 star ratings to same bands, like RPWL and Resistor which aren't exactly the most high profile bands around.

A bit harsh on Ut Gret though; 7 1-star ratings out of 22 from just 1 person.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk