Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99299
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 00:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Weight Lifting/Gym Thread
Posted By: PrognosticMind
Subject: The Weight Lifting/Gym Thread
Date Posted: August 13 2014 at 05:58
Who else weight lifts, hits the gym, goes running, and/or stays fit in a variety of ways?

I've been weight lifting seriously 3-5 days a week for over three years now, and I absolutely love it. I've started gaining some really solid muscle mass for my body type and size (I'm exactly 6ft, 140lbs ectomorph, which translates to 1.82 meters, 63.5kilograms for everywhere outside of the US LOL).

So, who else pumps iron? Smile

Replies:
Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: August 13 2014 at 06:59
I usually lift 2-3 days a week and run 3-4 miles on the off days. I don't so much care about building mass, but I would like to live forever. 

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 13 2014 at 07:02
Gym three times a week. Typical workout is 30 mins on a cross trainer or a 2 - 3km run as warm up, then about 40 mins of free weights, push ups, sit ups etc..

Main purpose is to keep middle age spread at bay, and it helps keep the old demons at bay to an extent.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: August 13 2014 at 07:03
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I usually lift 2-3 days a week and run 3-4 miles on the off days. I don't so much care about building mass, but I would like to live forever. 

Mass was never my intention; it was always just to remain healthy and fit. I'm with you on the living forever thing. I'd like to be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor, assets, and life in general as I age instead of spending the majority of my life dealing with unnecessary pain and disease caused by dietary/physical ignorance.

Wouldn't it suck to finally achieve your dreams and then one day have your quality of life diminished due to something completely avoidable?

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: August 13 2014 at 07:16
Not lifting weights yet, but planning to do so coming season.
Just for the reason, of... well, all the other posters said it already... to hold middle age at bay, to keep young and healthy.
I already found a gym in my city.
Looking forward to it, but reading it's actually gain through pain. 

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: August 13 2014 at 07:30
Started combining lifting with bodyweight exercises a few years ago-- I was always skinny so I had no problem with some mass, but prefer to be cut (hey I figured if a dopey actor like Daniel Craig can get pumped so could I).   Found some nice big bells on the street, started lifting heavy, and hitting the protein; about 140 grams a day and plenty of meat & veggies.   Anyone on a hi-pro diet?  What about supplements like creatine, glutamine, DHEA ?

my personal favorite supp -

BSN® SYNTHA-6™ - Chocolate Milkshake - BSN - GNC

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 13 2014 at 07:34
I do not plan to lift weights and leave running to my beloved wife (about 10 km aka 6.x miles, thrice a week).

I prefer biking to my work (28 km/18 miles a day) and longer distances when I'm off and the weather allows it (usually ca. 96 km/60 miles). Or walking distances from 5 to 30 km (3 to 19 miles).

-------------

Date Posted: August 13 2014 at 08:24
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Started combining lifting with bodyweight exercises a few years ago-- I was always skinny so I had no problem with some mass, but prefer to be cut (hey I figured if a dopey actor like Daniel Craig can get pumped so could I).   Found some nice big bells on the street, started lifting heavy, and hitting the protein; about 140 grams a day and plenty of meat & veggies.   Anyone on a hi-pro diet?  What about supplements like creatine, glutamine, DHEA ?

That a boy! 

The only supplements I use daily are fish oil, a multi-vitamin, and some incredibly high-quality GNC protein powder. The protein powder was given to me by my lifting buddy, whom also took creatine, and had a less-than-optimal experience with it. Apparently it makes you need to go #2 quite often during the day, lol. I've never been interested in its effects as a supplement personally, but I can see why others would seek it.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Syntha-6 products.

High protein intake is essential, IMHO, coupled with a well-rounded routine.

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: August 13 2014 at 11:17

I do a simple vegetable protein on lifting days. Can't say I enjoy any other supplements. Creatine in particular made me feel terrible. I think most are a waste of money. If I had a kitchen at my office I would drop the protein supplement as well.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: August 13 2014 at 14:57
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

I do not plan to lift weights and leave running to my beloved wife (about 10 km aka 6.x miles, thrice a week).

I prefer biking to my work (28 km/18 miles a day) and longer distances when I'm off and the weather allows it (usually ca. 96 km/60 miles). Or walking distances from 5 to 30 km (3 to 19 miles).

I always feel a little discouraged by your sportivity.
Sorry, let me restate this: I feel challenged by your sportivity. LOL
Well, at least I try. 
Oh well, I'm happy now that I'm living in Turnhout, that I can do a lot of things on the bike again.
It's a bit like my old Utrecht days. Cool

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: August 13 2014 at 16:47
I go to the gym three days a week for an hour each of those days-40 minutes on a stationary bike, and the rest weight machines.

Date Posted: August 13 2014 at 17:23
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I do a simple vegetable protein on lifting days. Can't say I enjoy any other supplements. Creatine in particular made me feel terrible. I think most are a waste of money. If I had a kitchen at my office I would drop the protein supplement as well.

I feel this way as well. Supplementing protein is just convenient when you're on the go, busy, etc.

Date Posted: August 13 2014 at 21:17
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

That a boy! 

The only supplements I use daily are fish oil, a multi-vitamin, and some incredibly high-quality GNC protein powder. The protein powder was given to me by my lifting buddy, whom also took creatine, and had a less-than-optimal experience with it. Apparently it makes you need to go #2 quite often during the day, lol. I've never been interested in its effects as a supplement personally, but I can see why others would seek it.

GNC does have very good protein products, I think it comes from the same people that make the Optimum Whey brand.   What kept me from using it is the taste; it has that subtle fennel flavor, I think it's the Fenugreek in it.   If I don't like it I won't drink it, so I had to find something tasty but still high quality--  tried Optimum, MuscleTech, Cytosport, finally settled on the BSN Syntha-6.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: August 14 2014 at 06:13

That a boy! 

GNC does have very good protein products, I think it comes from the same people that make the Optimum Whey brand.   What kept me from using it is the taste; it has that subtle fennel flavor, I think it's the Fenugreek in it.   If I don't like it I won't drink it, so I had to find something tasty but still high quality--  tried Optimum, MuscleTech, Cytosport, finally settled on the BSN Syntha-6.

GNC does have some great stuff, but damn can it get expensive quick. As I said, I acquired my tub of said protein from a friend, so I lucked out. All of that stuff has a goofy aftertaste. 

I tend to freeze a banana, break it up, throw it in the blender with a scoop of protein powder, a scoop of all-natty PB, 12oz of cold almond milk, some flax seed/hemp seed, and blend for a minute. 

That tastes infinitely better than the typical blender-bottle full of almond milk and protein powder Wink.

We're hitting legs and shoulders tonight at the gym:
-Quad press: 3 (sets) x 12 (reps)
-Hamstring curls 3 x 12
-Calf raises 4 x 15

Shoulder supersets - all back to back as one set with NO rest in between; looks like this:
 Military press x 10
 Seated front lat raises (both arms) x 10
 Standing side lat raises (both arms) x 10
REST, then repeat the above two more times!

Date Posted: August 14 2014 at 22:02
Hell yeah they're expensive, and they know sometimes you can't wait for a mail delivery (which must be why they're still in business).   Plus how many GNC products are there?   Have you taken a look at your members' catalog?   There's like forty or fifty GNC products alone.   I used to get the 10 lb bag of Syn6 but it's only available online

SYNTHA-6 10LB

The other key thing for me has been rest--  I take at least two to three days between workouts, and when I take a longer break ~ like two weeks off ~ is when I notice the most growth.   Get your six to eight hours a night and relax as often as possible, you'll see twice the development.

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: August 14 2014 at 22:37
I'm not really super into lifting and what I currently doe doesn't get me buff, but.....

- 20 bicep curls (each arm; 25 lbs.)
- 20 tricep whatever-the-inverse-of-a-curl-is (each arm; 25 lbs.)
- 20 shoulder press/arm raise things (each arm; 25 lbs.)
- 30 push ups
- 10 squats (no added weight)
- 30 leg raises

Do the whole thing 3 times.

I do this maybe 3 times a week and bike 10+ miles 2-3 times a week.

Also, pssssh with your expensive proteins. I just eat 3-4 eggs after a "workout".

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: August 14 2014 at 23:56
I lift myself up and down walls sometimes

Date Posted: August 15 2014 at 00:37
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

pssssh with your expensive proteins. I just eat 3-4 eggs after a "workout".

Eggs are good, so is a fat cheeseburger, but protein is  1) easy,  and 2) since it's in liquid form it absorbs and digests much more readily, certainly more than eggs or meat.   Plus, I never used to eat breakfast but now I crave a nice big shake with fruit every morning.

-------------

Date Posted: August 15 2014 at 05:51
Eggs are an excellent source of protein! I use supps as just that; supps. They don't replace real food and protein for me, they're just convenient when you're on the go and/or need that post-workout when you aren't heading straight home.

Date Posted: August 15 2014 at 06:05
Any secrets?    From Pilates I learned to deep-fire (squeeze) muscle groups, I do it after lifting and it seems to help tone a lot.

-------------

Date Posted: August 15 2014 at 06:55

Any secrets?    From Pilates I learned to deep-fire (squeeze) muscle groups, I do it after lifting and it seems to help tone a lot.

Yoga and pilates are a whole new way to work your body...and they're completely necessary if you truly want a well-rounded regimen IMHO. I've started doing hip abductors at the gym as well, which are typically stigmatized as a "woman's exercise" around these parts, lol. It's all about balance, and yoga and pilates will give you that in ways you can't achieve via traditional lifting.

I love isometrics, as well. When you curl biceps, go for full extension at the bottom, then at the top of your curl flex as hard as you can and slowly let the weight back down. That one mod alone will tear fibers like crazy!

Date Posted: August 15 2014 at 19:23
Yeah I love isomets, I'll often do full flex/extensions with no weights, just me firing the muscle.   Good stuff, and you don't risk injury.

-------------

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 09:03
Definitely. Iso deadlifts are one of my faves. Slow upward pull with light/medium weight, slow descend, repeat. I can feel every muscle in my body getting worked.

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 13:18
The only gym training I do is rock-climbing, and even then, I only do it as training for outdoor climbing on real rocks. I love it.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Date Posted: August 16 2014 at 20:23
^ Great full body exercise  

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 00:16
http://www.allegromedical.com/browse/ViewProductLargeImage.do?productId=ff80818141e1d5cb0142344500d90a7e" rel="nofollow - Did my extreme push-up routine tonight;  feet elevated 3 feet, push-ups varied between wide and narrow, used these puppies--

http://www.allegromedical.com/browse/ViewProductLargeImage.do?productId=ff80818141e1d5cb0142344500d90a7e&defaultImage=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.allegrocentral.com%2F5A%2F12%2Fperfect-push-up-personal-exerciser-567342-BIG_0.jpg" rel="nofollow"> AB Marketers LLC Perfect Push Up Personal Exerciser
Perfect Push-Ups--  they save your wrists from injury and rotate so you get full muscle engagement.  You can also do dips and shoulder presses.   Great product, highly recommended.

http://www.allegromedical.com/browse/ViewProductLargeImage.do?productId=ff80818141e1d5cb0142344500d90a7e&defaultImage=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.allegrocentral.com%2F5A%2F12%2Fperfect-push-up-personal-exerciser-567342-BIG_0.jpg" rel="nofollow - http://www.allegromedical.com/browse/ViewProductLargeImage.do?productId=ff80818141e1d5cb0142344500d90a7e" rel="nofollow - http://www.allegromedical.com/browse/ViewProductLargeImage.do?productId=ff80818141e1d5cb0142344500d90a7e" rel="nofollow -

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 05:37

http://www.allegromedical.com/browse/ViewProductLargeImage.do?productId=ff80818141e1d5cb0142344500d90a7e" rel="nofollow - Did my extreme push-up routine tonight;  feet elevated 3 feet, push-ups varied between wide and narrow, used these puppies--

http://www.allegromedical.com/browse/ViewProductLargeImage.do?productId=ff80818141e1d5cb0142344500d90a7e&defaultImage=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.allegrocentral.com%2F5A%2F12%2Fperfect-push-up-personal-exerciser-567342-BIG_0.jpg" rel="nofollow"> AB Marketers LLC Perfect Push Up Personal Exerciser
Perfect Push-Ups--  they save your wrists from injury and rotate so you get full muscle engagement.  You can also do dips and shoulder presses.   Great product, highly recommended.

http://www.allegromedical.com/browse/ViewProductLargeImage.do?productId=ff80818141e1d5cb0142344500d90a7e&defaultImage=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.allegrocentral.com%2F5A%2F12%2Fperfect-push-up-personal-exerciser-567342-BIG_0.jpg" rel="nofollow - http://www.allegromedical.com/browse/ViewProductLargeImage.do?productId=ff80818141e1d5cb0142344500d90a7e" rel="nofollow - http://www.allegromedical.com/browse/ViewProductLargeImage.do?productId=ff80818141e1d5cb0142344500d90a7e" rel="nofollow -

Yup! I own these as well. Feet up on the chair; regs, wides, close each for a set of 45 Thumbs Up.

When we're in the gym, we do a super-set we call "chest-sanity", where you bench the bar for 10 reps, then immediately do chest flys with dumbbells for another 10, then hop up and put your fee up on the bench and do 10 diamond pushups.

Repeat times three sets and you'll be on fire Wink.

Rock climbing is awesome, btw!

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 21:00
Resting today, not doing anything strenuous and got a good nine hours sleep, my favorite part of an exercise regimen  Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 21:41
Sleep is definitely required...and a massive bonus Wink.

I did a quick set of lat pulldowns/tricep pulldowns on my home equipment yesterday, and I'm wonderfully sore Sleepy.

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 21:44
Love that, such a satisfying feeling, I think I'd miss it terribly.   Something's wrong if a part of me isn't sore.

-------------

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 21:58
I once went to the gym.  I got discouraged though by all the weird looks I got when smoking outside the gym while taking a break from my workout.  

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 22:08
Big smile  I usually wait until I'm at least a block away

-------------

Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 22:21
^LOL

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 21:22
Working the shoulders tonight:  military presses with dumbbells, interspersed with frontal pulls and deltoid raises.   I like the blend of pushing/pulling and the muscle confusion it provides.

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:16
I love mixing pushing and pulling on any given gym sesh. We really switched it up this week to keep our bodies guessing by starting with deadlifts (back/whole body) and a back day on Tuesday, instead of the typical chest Monday. I'm still sore in my lower back and shoulders three days later!

Chest-sanity sesh tomorrow.

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:26
Ah yes, my chest-blast is coming up this weekend.   Flys are my personal favorite, I've gotten to letting the bells touch the floor each time between reps, good challenge.  I mix that with presses, the bells lengthwise to my body rather than the trad hold with elbows out (definitely makes it a bit harder).

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:32
I train in short bursts, meaning that if I have 20-30 minutes to myself, I'll do some push-ups, chin-ups, revisit my old hand weights (36 pounds each) or do some dips. It works for me, probably because I'm naturally big-boned. I don't need a lot of training to take on muscle, so I keep it to this.  
I've gone all out before with heavy lifting and protein diet galore, but I very quickly get clumsy to look at. My own take on this, is that whenever your muscles start interfering with your flexibility, it's about time to call it quits or conversely start looking at some smaller weights and an increase in repetitions.
Atm I'm 1.90 m (6.2) and weigh 90 kilos (198 pounds). I guess that's pretty proportionate, but I'd like to get down to 85 kilos.  

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:36
^ Yes body type plays a big role, I've noticed how muscle forms differently on people.   I used to be disappointed that I was a "hard gainer", but as I've progressed I'm kinda glad I'm small-boned and skinny by nature. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:43
Chest flys are my favorite, as well. I can really feel those muscle fibers tearing when I go deep and wide.

And that's awesome, Guldbamsen!

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:44
Heh...most of my friends are like that too, and I've always been a little jealous of them. I mean some of these guys can live off Mars bars and still go hide behind a lamp post. Damn cheat if you ask me. All I have to do is look at chocolate and my stomach instantly heaves.
Then again, I'm blessed with not having to do much in order to look like a bear, which my friends then are extremely jealous ofWacko 
Winning is impossible. 

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:47
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Heh...most of my friends are like that too, and I've always been a little jealous of them. I mean some of these guys can live off Mars bars and still go hide behind a lamp post. Damn cheat if you ask me. All I have to do is look at chocolate and my stomach instantly heaves.
Then again, I'm blessed with not having to do much in order to look like a bear, which my friends then are extremely jealous ofWacko 
Winning is impossible. 

I know, the muscles are always greener

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:50
'The muscles are always greener'
Tae Bo with Bruce Banner

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:51

Winning is impossible. 

I'm one of those skinny fellows who can eat and eat and eat, and lose weight in his sleep LOL.

I'm the epitome of ectomorph, and it shows. When I'm in the gym I tend to "pop" really quickly, and almost appear to be inflating during my workout. I look like a professional wrestler for a good 30 minutes post, then I go back to my usual size, lol. I don't eat that much junk food because I want my body to even out nicely when my metabolism starts slowing down after 30-ish or so.

Eating clean is the secret, no matter what body type/age you are!

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:52

'The muscles are always greener'
Tae Bo with Bruce Banner

He's always angry, that's his secret.

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:55
Food is good
Jude is good 
Mood is lord
Food is dog
Dude is God

Eat your greens people! Or I'll summon my mother.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:56

When I'm in the gym I tend to "pop" really quickly, and almost appear to be inflating during my workout. I look like a professional wrestler for a good 30 minutes post, then I go back to my usual size, lol.

Tongue  Yeah pretty much--  though sometimes I will get a growth spurt after a few days rest and it'll be worth it (even though they're far and few between.)

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:58

When I'm in the gym I tend to "pop" really quickly, and almost appear to be inflating during my workout. I look like a professional wrestler for a good 30 minutes post, then I go back to my usual size, lol.

Tongue  Yeah pretty much--  though sometimes I will get a growth spurt after a few days rest and it'll be worth it (even though they're far and few between.)

My favorite are the looks I get when I move things that should be too much for my size relatively easily, lol. Shoulder-shrugging 100lbs+ on the cable machine using a tethered (and additional) 60lb bar LOL.

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 06:00
I remember that too from when I was training at the gym. Often it was during the small breaks that I grew. 
I'm not sure most youngins down at the gym know how important it is to rest. In fact, I think most of their ideas on how best to go about bodybuilding is completely faulty at heart. My slogan has always been: It's not about how much weight you can lift, but about how correct you lift. Everything else is just for show (and injuries). 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 06:02
yep;  I moved a tree once that had listed toward the sidewalk and put it back straight.  I just put my weight behind it and it was pretty easy, but it must've looked impressive

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 06:22

I remember that too from when I was training at the gym. Often it was during the small breaks that I grew. 
I'm not sure most youngins down at the gym know how important it is to rest. In fact, I think most of their ideas on how best to go about bodybuilding is completely faulty at heart. My slogan has always been: It's not about how much weight you can lift, but about how correct you lift. Everything else is just for show (and injuries). 

^Exactly. It's even worse when everyone's on their phones the entire time, breaking tempo, getting in the way, etc.

Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 12:49
Just DESTROYED chest with my buddy.

140lbs (63.5kg) (my bodyweight) on the bench for 10, 8, 6, 4, 2
55lbs (25kg) dumbbell chest fly 5, 5, 4, 4, 1
Tricep pulldowns 65lbs (29kg) 10, 8, 6, 4, then 70lbs (32kg) for 2
Chest press until exhaustion on 35lbs (16kg)

Overall, a VERY solid day at the gym! Thumbs Up

-------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 00:10
Doing a little chest-wrecking myself tonight flat on the floor with knees bent, 45 lb bells;  6 sets of six flys, 6 sets of six presses, finished by intensive pectoral firing and chest isolations.

...and a nice big shake afterward of course

-------------

Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 05:49

Doing a little chest-wrecking myself tonight flat on the floor with knees bent, 45 lb bells;  6 sets of six flys, 6 sets of six presses, finished by intensive pectoral firing and chest isolations.

...and a nice big shake afterward of course

Plenty of protein to refuel is the secret! Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: August 26 2014 at 04:16
Arms tomorrow, I switch between triceps presses w/ elevated feet and curls with the heavy bells, maybe some chin-ups to finish.

-------------

Date Posted: August 26 2014 at 06:25
^Thumbs Up

I think we're hitting legs tonight; I'm going for more deadlifts. Those bad boys keep me sore in just the right way LOL.

-------------

Date Posted: August 26 2014 at 06:43
I'm opting for some chin-ups tonight after a good walk. I think I'll switch my grip so as I also train my arms (biceps + triceps). 3 reps of whatever I can muster for each grip, which then translates into 9 sets. Other than that, I plan to smoke some cigarettes in my sofa and spin some recordsBig smile

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 26 2014 at 14:56
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I once went to the gym.  I got discouraged though by all the weird looks I got when smoking outside the gym while taking a break from my workout.  

LOL
Exercise is bad for your health.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: August 26 2014 at 20:58
 ^^  I like the switch-grip, do it often, great for those underworked forearms -

-------------

Date Posted: August 26 2014 at 21:15
Switch-grip is where it's at, especially when deadlifting.

Lmao @ Guld's post-smoke LOL.

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 03:25
The part of my body that I'd like to develop more is my back, the laterals, I just don't get enough of the rowing type movements in I think.    I need a bench at home for the lying prone rowing.

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 05:52
I have a lat-pulldown machine in my basement, and it's the best thing ever. Pullups will hit those, too. Was a very stubborn muscle for me for the longest time.

Deadlifts hit everything, though Wink.

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 06:10
Do you ever do 'old school pull-ups/chin-ups' where you just use your body weight and freely hang from whatever branch you can find?

I've been pretty motivated the last week, so I'm doing pull-ups every day. I'll do one grip one day and then another the next, so I basically have a 3 day run with 3 different exercises (although all of these strengthen my back in various ways). 
I thought about doing all of em on the same day, like I said earlier in this thread, but this way seems to be the most rewarding all around. 
Another great thing about this is the fact that I use a kindergarten's playground as my 'gym'. I've found the perfect jungle-jim for these exercises, where I can experiment with all kinds of grips. Beats any other gym out there imo + I am in control of the soundtrack.
The walk to the kindergarten and back is a good 35 minutes, so there is also actual leg movement involved - making this whole thing healthy as a box of kiwis.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 20:15
^ Hell yeah, bodyweight exercises are tops, and underrated.   I feel they give you more athletic development instead of the bulky bodybuilder look; I did shoulder press-ups last night on the floor.  

Love your junglegym solution.  

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 20:32

I've heard this and how they're kinda the ultimate developer.    But I'd want a good solid belt before I seriously tried deadlifting--  it looks like a low back killer.

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 08:26

Do you ever do 'old school pull-ups/chin-ups' where you just use your body weight and freely hang from whatever branch you can find?

I've been pretty motivated the last week, so I'm doing pull-ups every day. I'll do one grip one day and then another the next, so I basically have a 3 day run with 3 different exercises (although all of these strengthen my back in various ways). 
I thought about doing all of em on the same day, like I said earlier in this thread, but this way seems to be the most rewarding all around. 
Another great thing about this is the fact that I use a kindergarten's playground as my 'gym'. I've found the perfect jungle-jim for these exercises, where I can experiment with all kinds of grips. Beats any other gym out there imo + I am in control of the soundtrack.
The walk to the kindergarten and back is a good 35 minutes, so there is also actual leg movement involved - making this whole thing healthy as a box of kiwis.

Yes, yes, and HELL yes Thumbs Up!

I've heard this and how they're kinda the ultimate developer.    But I'd want a good solid belt before I seriously tried deadlifting--  it looks like a low back killer.

It's the lower-back decimator. It's the only thing that hits mine in a way that feels like I'm actually growing muscle there. I'd definitely suggest a good belt for hitting the higher weights; I don't do too much over my own body weight without one!

-------------

Date Posted: September 02 2014 at 05:51
What's new, chaps?

Had a killer chest session on Sunday at the gym, and I'm thinking about hitting back via my home equipment today. Plenty of "bulking" foods this holiday weekend, lol.

-------------

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: September 02 2014 at 11:42
"A killer chest session"?  Sounds like a workout with the hookah.

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Date Posted: September 02 2014 at 21:35
Ah bulking, for me it was a long process but it did pay off.  The drawback is I got a bit fatter than I'd like, so I started cutting back.  Retained the muscle but cut much of the fat now, and I prefer the look.  The eating-every-three-hours thing was too much for me, I'm happier with three solid hi-protein meals a day.  But as long as you can lose the excess fat, bulking can be a good experience, you really learn how the body responds.

Probably gonna do my push-up routine tonight.  At some point I'd like to get my feet up higher, like 4 ft. or so.

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2014 at 05:53
Anyone ever work their trapezius ?   It's a hard one to develop and the recommended exercise is Shrugs though that only does so much.    I've also heard overdeveloped traps are often a sign of the juice.

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2014 at 10:47

Anyone ever work their trapezius ?   It's a hard one to develop and the recommended exercise is Shrugs though that only does so much.    I've also heard overdeveloped traps are often a sign of the juice.

Yes! I will admit, shrugs work really well for me. I don't do them in the standard way with a freeweight in each hand, however. 

I tend to use the cable machine set all the way down, then I grab an extra barbell (60lbs or so), then I max out the cable machine (100lbs). 

Then, I use a weight strap to clip the barbell to the cable itself, and I do shrugs with that. 

I've found that the cable tension really allows for more control and more stress on the traps than trying to balance and prevent your hands getting tired. The longer you hold the shrug, the more you're going to work it. 

Mine always look huge after a set of 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 LOL.

-------------

Posted By: bloodnarfer
Date Posted: September 09 2014 at 11:05
I actually avoid doing shrugs most of the time.  They make my shoulders pop and crack (doesn't hurt but sounds unhealthy). Same goes for lateral raises.  Have you tried using a trap bar?

You guys seem really positive about your progress so far.  Every time I fall in stride with a good workout routine and start making some gains, my body just starts to fall apart.  I'm too young to be breaking down like this.  Getting my knees checked out later today since I have a issue with my patella tracking toward the outside of my knee and grinding over my femur.  

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ramza1316" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/user/ramza1316
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845

Date Posted: September 09 2014 at 21:46
^ I'm really sorry you're having a hard time, I hope you find some relief.   I am 48 and though I've been doing martial arts for 20 years, I only started training heavy with weights about two years ago.   I think it was my pent-up enthusiasm to build muscle that got me through, so my attitude was one of 'I don't care if I get sore of if it takes years to see real results'.   I figured why not; I've got the time and drive, I might as well focus and see what I can do.   In that way sometimes age and experience trumps youth and quick recovery.

-------------

Date Posted: October 06 2014 at 01:59
Upping the ante with my chest routine tonight by doing flys on the floor so that my elbows touch floor, arms stay in position and don't bend as I contract the weights back up for the fly.   Adds a lot of extra difficulty without adding weight, (I'm using 40 lb bells so the weight is good); After six reps I go straight into presses alternating between standard shoulder-width & parallel hold, followed by pec firing to hit all the smaller muscle groups.

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2014 at 03:28
Anyone still posting here ? ... hellloooooo

Anyway, worked the shoulders tonight--  6 sets of 6 military presses with the heavy bells using a switch-grip, followed immediately by 6x6 side vertical pulls, and then laterals to finish

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2014 at 06:14
Hellooo

I aaaam caaaalliiiiiing yyoouuuu froooom theee sofaaa faaar faaaaar awaaay

Cool to see you're still keeping at it, although slightly annoying when I haven't been able to do the same. Freaking irritating! Every time I get a good thing going, a new paper/project/assignment/whatev arrives and I tumble back into mr sitting machine, drinking too much coffee and smoking far too many cigarettes, stuffing myself late at night because I forgot to eat anything all day, too lazy to even do my push ups. 

Vicious cycle really, it effects my mood and how I function on an everyday basis. I don't sleep well, when my body isn't physically tired from having been used. My brain simply takes over the show and instead of turning off at night it goes into hyper-psycho mode and transmits philosophically random thoughts on everything from strawberries to the rings of Saturn.

I've been a good boy the last couple of days though - cycling and walking regularly, even doing push ups and various forms of pull ups/chin ups (extremely soar this morning)Big smile This time I'm determined to follow through on my exercises, so I've tried to make a little 'training diary', where I'll sketch down what I did for the day. I'm using my phone, so no excuses about losing the damn paper this time or other more foolish businesses like forgetting to take it with you when you're visiting friends in the forest. 
Come on now!

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: October 25 2014 at 07:38
hey, man, good to hear from  you, but sorry to see you struggling so.
                 I am doing a stationary bike for 30 min. then weight machines for 20, then the bike again for another 10-15.
        I do this 3 times a week, doesn't sound like a whole heckuva lot, but I feel better.

Date Posted: October 25 2014 at 07:50
Sounds good Doug and nice to hear from you as wellSmile
I think all that training/exercising really depends upon is dedication from you. No matter what level you're at, as long as you do it regularly, which sadly is the thing I've been struggling the most with. I do sense a change coming on just from these last days. I just have to convince myself of the benefits and keep myself at it. The latter hopefully through that diary thingy of mine. 

Now that I think of it, instead of mimicking a vegetable here on the sofa, then why not take the bike out for a ride? The sun is actually shining for the first time in what seems like weeks. See ya!

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 25 2014 at 11:38
I just got back in from the gym and decided to check PA, and oddly enough I find that this thread is still alive and doing well :).

TONS of chest today: super sets, flys, benching, dips, overheads, etc.

I'm going for my personal training cert in the coming months, as well. Great to see so many of you keeping up and progressing!

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2014 at 11:46
Progressing is for next week. Right now I'm barely hanging onLOL
Went for a 60 minute bike ride in a rather hilly landscape earlier today. Was absolutely done for when I got home to my apartment! Tough, and I'm probably going to feel it tomorrow, but definitely worth while. Left a smile on my face anyway.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 25 2014 at 12:14

Progressing is for next week. Right now I'm barely hanging onLOL
Went for a 60 minute bike ride in a rather hilly landscape earlier today. Was absolutely done for when I got home to my apartment! Tough, and I'm probably going to feel it tomorrow, but definitely worth while. Left a smile on my face anyway.

An hour on a bike will do it, my friend! LOL

I've been upping the cardio as well, especially before lifting sessions. I've also got a lat pulldown machine and olympic weight bar and weights at my house now, so I can do deadlifts in my living room Big smile.

-------------

Date Posted: October 27 2014 at 11:15
I hope your living room is bigger than mine then. It would look ridiculous in hereLOL

I've been keeping at it - at least with my bike. I've been too soar to do any muscle training the past two days, but tonight I'm opting for 300 push ups before dinner. We'll see.

You know what, I'm going for a ride again. I did one earlier today (uphill no less), but who says you can't do two in a day?

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: bloodnarfer
Date Posted: October 27 2014 at 11:54

^ I'm really sorry you're having a hard time, I hope you find some relief.   I am 48 and though I've been doing martial arts for 20 years, I only started training heavy with weights about two years ago.   I think it was my pent-up enthusiasm to build muscle that got me through, so my attitude was one of 'I don't care if I get sore of if it takes years to see real results'.   I figured why not; I've got the time and drive, I might as well focus and see what I can do.   In that way sometimes age and experience trumps youth and quick recovery.

I hope I'm still that active when I'm 48.  A lot of people don't have the drive to get to the point where they start seeing results and then they give up.  So kudos to you and I'm actually kind of jealous!

I think I may just have to slow down.  I've been going to physical therapy for my knee but I still haven't even considered going back to squats.  At the moment I can't do much upper body either because of shoulder tendinitis.  I always manage to hurt myself in some way and its really discouraging.  I guess I should just try for less weight and higher rep ranges.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ramza1316" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/user/ramza1316
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845

Date Posted: October 28 2014 at 01:40
That could be good, and don't underestimate bodyweight exercises including movement forms like boxing or Pilates, you get good muscle tone without any of the weight stress.

-------------

Date Posted: November 01 2014 at 06:18
I've been getting a lot out of my home workouts lately. Lots of deadlifts with the olympic bar, did some lat and side raises the other day with plate weights, and of course using the lat pull-down machine :)

-------------

Date Posted: November 07 2014 at 22:59
Doing elevated push-ups with my fists touching ... oh my friggin' god that's hard.   Then the same thing but using the PefectPushups; I lower myself almost all the way to the floor.   Not only is it incredibly hard but the burden is on the forearms which is great since I rarely get a chance to work them.   If you want a brutally difficult challenge, try them, you'll be amazed how hard it is.

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2014 at 13:21

Doing elevated push-ups with my fists touching ... oh my friggin' god that's hard.   Then the same thing but using the PefectPushups; I lower myself almost all the way to the floor.   Not only is it incredibly hard but the burden is on the forearms which is great since I rarely get a chance to work them.   If you want a brutally difficult challenge, try them, you'll be amazed how hard it is.

I also have The Perfect Pushup, and I love it. Never done knuckle pushups before, but I do diamond pushups first thing each and every morning. A set of 25, then a second set of 15 to get the blood flowing while the coffee brews Wink.

I love doing elevated pushups. Everything I do pushup-wise is elevated.

-------------

Date Posted: November 14 2014 at 00:17
Curls tonight with 40 lb bells, mixed w/ switch-grip pull ups.   Pretty good arm workout-- laying off the triceps for awhile, they were getting a bit bulky (Embarrassed) .

-------------

Date Posted: December 09 2014 at 08:21
Great to see this thread still going, guys :)

I've been doing serious heavy lifting and bulking since the start of the month, and I'm seeing insane results already.

I want to start taking pics/doing some video at the gym. I'll be going for my personal trainer cert right after the holiday, as well!

-------------

Date Posted: December 09 2014 at 22:29
^ Hope you do well with your cert, I became a certified Pilates teacher a few years ago and it was the hardest thing I ever did.

Elevated push-ups tonight combined with intensive rowing (isometric) .

-------------

Date Posted: December 13 2014 at 23:48
Military presses last night combined with forward vertical raises and shoulder side-lifts, great upper body workout.   Sore today.

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 03:16
I'm in an interesting phase; after moving through several bulking periods over the last two years, I began doing more bodyweight exercises, cut out the creatine, and stopped eating as much starch-- kept to mostly complex proteins from meat, dairy, veg, nuts and beans.   I started to get a more athletic cut instead of that puffy, watery quality muscles can get after too much caloric food, supplements and heavy lifting.   Still seeing gains but they're mostly dry and visible now.   Rather pleased with the results.

-------------

Posted By: manofmystery
Date Posted: December 16 2014 at 11:32
I plan on lifting a rather large sandwich later... to continue my bulking

-------------

Time always wins.

Date Posted: December 19 2014 at 00:44
^ Just finished off a big pastrami, avocado & swiss myself

-------------

Date Posted: April 22 2016 at 04:17
Has it really been that long since someone posted in this thread? (I guess most proggers leave the exercises to their ears...)
Been going at it for the last 2+ months after having accumulated a rather substantial tummy-pouch over the winter. Cycling, walking and generally just moving my ass from pćace to place instead of just becoming one with the sofa. I have additionally been doing push ups with my school pack on (inside I load some 37 pounds of weight) - shifting my grip with each set. Also doing combined movements with the weights. Fx doing a regular standing bicep curl and then continuing overhead into a shoulder press. Extremely tough but at least my arms have grown much longer... Add to that: pull ups, chin ups, crunches (Lord how I hate them!!!), back crunches as well as dumb bell pullovers and a shoulder thang I haven't got a name for.
My left leg is still renovering from an irritated nerve, which effectively means no real leg work until...yeah exactly. I do cycle quite a bit though and keep trying something a little more audacious whenever I feel my leg is getting better...and then it usually goes tits up and I have to start from scratch again. Now I am just going to wait until it feels tip top instead of forcing/willing it.

Anyway it all sums up to me being some 14-15 kilos lighter than I was during Christmas - and I am remarkably more muscular now. I did however get a shock here earlier in the week after stepping out of the shower. I thought I'd put on a few kilos because my belly fat was extremely jiggly and pasty. Turns out that just before you lose fat it actually pumps up with water, so what looks like added fat really is quite the opposite. Today I saw myself in the mirror and it truly looked like I'd dropped 8 kilos in two days. Just goes to show that your body can be irritatingly untruthful.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk