URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99360
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 16:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 'Comfortably Numb' Vs 'Firth Of Fifth'
Posted By: addictedtoprog
Subject: 'Comfortably Numb' Vs 'Firth Of Fifth'
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 13:44
My two all-time fav songs.
'Firth Of Fifth' a better prog song imo but 'Comfortably Numb' always hits me on a emotional level which no other song does.

Replies:
Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 13:49
Firth of Fifth.

-------------

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 13:50
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Firth of Fifth.

+1

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 13:56
indeed, SOOOO hard to choose, but i go with the Floyd for this one.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 14:02
Genesis are my absolute favorite prog band, but I've never been quite sold on Firth of Fifth to be honest. I do, however, love some parts of it like Gabriel's flute solo and Hackett's solo, but I don't think the song itself is as strong musically as Floyd's Comfortably Numb. Plus, if we were to talk strictly about guitar solos, this one from Gilmour has to be counted as one of the best of all-time. It never fails to move me.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 14:23
Ferth

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 14:24
Genesis'.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 14:33
Firth of Fifth. 
Comfortably Numb is still quite a good song, though.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 14:42
Genesis over Floyd for this one !!

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 15:25
Firth of Fifth ---has arguably the best prog guitar solo of all time----but love Numb and it is one of my fav Floyd songs.

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 16:39
Firth Of Fifth without a doubt. Comfortably Numb's still good though, but the guitar solos are waaay too overrated (as with Hackett's on Firth Of Fifth actually, despite some nice moments). The piano intro wins it hands down for me - only remotely difficult thing I can play on it

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 16:49
12-5. I'm surprised it's even this close. Comfortably Numb is a good song, maybe even great, but there are so many other songs from Pink Floyd that excite me more, even on that album (In the Flesh, Run Like Hell).

Firth of Fifth might be Genesis' best song, but most definitely in my top 5.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 16:58
This is a massacre. Genesis'song is much proggier. The interest of Comfortably numb is the mood and the guitar solo, but Firth of Fifth is an absolute prog classic to me.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 17:02
I love them both too much to choose.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 17:05
The only thing on Firth of Fifth that I think is extra special is Hackett's guitar lead. Otherwise, I don't really like the song that much, but I voted in favor of it on the basis of the lead alone. Comfortably Numb is nice as well.

Posted By: Watcher of the Sky
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 17:23
That was hard, but Firth Of Fifth won this one.

Comfortably Numb is a great song too

-------------
Nous sommes du soleil

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 17:31
Okay, just a little pinprick....ting!

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: genbanks
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 18:07
The comparison is not fair. Firth of fifth is a prog masterpiece and Comfortably numb one of the best pop songs out there. Of course Firth of fifth. About the solo is the best Hackett ever did but i'm not forget that is a variation of a Banks theme. The song is perfect as a whole for me. None of its parts alone could have the same flavour. Comfortably numb is one of the best Floyd's songs all time.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 18:41
"Firth ...". The effect lasts longer.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 19:28
there'll be no more...Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 19:40
Firth of Fifth, one of my favorite Genesis songs,.....but Numb is the best thing from The Wall, an overrated album imho.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: genbanks
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 20:39
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Firth of Fifth, one of my favorite Genesis songs,.....but Numb is the best thing from The Wall, an overrated album imho.

100% agree

Posted By: m2thek
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 20:45
I think Comfortably Numb is a good song but nowhere near Pink Floyd's best work. Firth of Fifth on the other hand is definitively Genesis' best song. The fluidity and dynamic range of it is amazing. It also has multiple of my favorite musical moments ever (when the synth reprises the intro, and when the guitar solo finally dips into the flute melody).

I'd probably rank FoF in my Top 3 songs of all time; I don't think I'd even say CN is my favorite song on The Wall.

-------------

Matt

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 21:57
Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

100% agree

Couldn't have said it better.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: August 17 2014 at 23:04
Comfortably Numb by a hair.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 00:49
I knew 'Firth' wud b leading 'Comfortably' here...
Gr8! to see love for the 'Numb' though

Posted By: snowsnow
Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 02:29
Two absolute classics!

Has to be Floyd's effort - Gilmour's guitar solo at the end is sublime...

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 02:34
Love both but I will vote for PF because this needs to be closer Big smile

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: melotron98
Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 02:54
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Firth of Fifth.

+1

Posted By: Kazza3
Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 03:02
Comfortably Numb is spellbinding. Firth of Fifth is very, very good, but it's a bit too intellectual compared to the sheer emotion of Numb.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 03:50

Posted By: The Mystical
Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 05:02
Comfortably Numb. I do like Selling England, but I find it to be very flawed.

-------------
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 06:09
Firth of Fifth +1 :-)

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 06:48

Firth gets my vote, and I completely agree with the second thing you said.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 07:10
Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

100% agree

I agree 100% with the latter statement. Firth of Fifth has DWTTMK and The Cinema Show to compete with for best track on Selling England.

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 07:55
I'm a huge Floyd fan and it's very rare I'd vote against them, however......

Comfortably Numb is an excellent song with a fantastic pair of guitar solos from Dave Gilmour but Firth of Fifth is one of the best prog tracks ever.  I'm surprised the vote is this close to be honest.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 08:08
Comfortably voted for Firth.  I like Floyd overall more than Genesis but  Comfortably Numb is not one of my favourites of the band.

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 10:18
Firth is my winner without any doubt. One of the best Genesis songs (say it's in my top 5). Fantastic piano intro and the Hacket's solo on the same level... And yes, CN is great song with extraordinary good Gilmour's solo. But... frankly, for me it's not on par with FoF. In fact PF have many better compositions (One Of These Days, Echoes, Shine On You Crazy Diamond to name a few). On the other side my vote wouldn't be different with any other song (eh, probably...). But it'd be harder choice. This one wasn't.

And I'm rather surprised too the votes are relatively close.

-------------

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 13:57
As good a song as Comfortably Numb is, and as good as Gilmour is on it, it's hard to understand how can a progger prefer it to Firth Of Fifth. If you told me my neighbour prefers it I'd understand, but a prog lover? Confused
With my friends' amateur band we played a cover of Comfortably, surely sh*tty but without too much trouble, I wish we could even think of trying to play FoF.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 13:58
Gilmour's guitar solo > Hackett's guitar solo

"Firth of Fifth" overall > "Comfortably Numb" overall

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 14:01
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

As good a song as Comfortably Numb is, and as good as Gilmour is on it, it's hard to understand how can a progger prefer it to Firth Of Fifth. If you told me my neighbour prefers it I'd understand, but a prog lover? Confused
With my friends' amateur band we played a cover of Comfortably, surely sh*tty but without too much trouble, I wish we could even think of trying to play FoF.
The hardest part of FoF has to be the piano intro. Once one of you guys nailed it, the rest should seem easier.

Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 14:25
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

The hardest part of FoF has to be the piano intro. Once one of you guys nailed it, the rest should seem easier.

And the piano introduction isn't particularly difficult (I can play it proficiently Embarrassed).

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 14:45
Thumbs Up Approve

Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 15:50
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

And the piano introduction isn't particularly difficult (I can play it proficiently Embarrassed).

Great, now play Banks' solo from The Cinema ShowBig smile

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 15:57
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I haven't learned them, but don't see the need.  Synth solos tend to be easier to play.

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 16:01

I haven't learned them, but don't see the need.  Synth solos tend to be easier to play.

But you felt the need to learn the intro piano solo to Firth of Fifth? I don't get it.

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 16:11

But you felt the need to learn the intro piano solo to Firth of Fifth? I don't get it.

Because I wanted to be able to play it?  I like how it sounds and it doesn't require further accompaniment for other people to appreciate.  I learned other pieces, like "Blue in Green" for precisely the same reason. 

Monophonic synthesizer solos are comparatively easy if you can play polyphonic pieces. 

I haven't bothered with the guitar solo to "Firth of Fifth" either- it's perfect for the song, but it doesn't stretch my abilities or give me something I can entertain people with as a soloist.

-------------

Posted By: Quirky Turkey
Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 21:13
To me, Firth of Fifth is the perfect prog song. Wayyyy better than Comfortably Numb.

Date Posted: August 18 2014 at 23:53

Nice to know tht a progger is not supposed to prefer a much emotional song over a much proggier one

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 00:24

Genesis are my absolute favorite prog band, but I've never been quite sold on Firth of Fifth to be honest. I do, however, love some parts of it like Gabriel's flute solo and Hackett's solo, but I don't think the song itself is as strong musically as Floyd's Comfortably Numb. Plus, if we were to talk strictly about guitar solos, this one from Gilmour has to be counted as one of the best of all-time. It never fails to move me.
This. Those two songs are neither comparable for me, and  the poll's result is very surprising.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 17:32
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

This. Those two songs are neither comparable for me, and  the poll's result is very surprising.

Ditto. NMO

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 17:59

Genesis, Firth of Fifth.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 18:16
For me Gilmore is a blues guitarist---a great one but it's blues---Firth guitar solo is pure prog---it's not blues---which for me makes it more interesting as a solo---I like blues but not so much in my prog.

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 18:39
Is that even a question?  FoF of course.  

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 19 2014 at 19:57
Originally posted by addictedtoprog addictedtoprog wrote:

'Firth Of Fifth' a better prog song imo but 'Comfortably Numb' always hits me on a emotional level which no other song does.

Exactly how I feel.

Posted By: Hnrz
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 02:49
Comfortably Numb has the best guitar solo of all time, therefore it must take this one, good as FoF is.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 12:12
Another ill-placed comparison as the former is from one of 'Floyd's worst albums and the latter is from what many feel is Genesis' best. Also, Firth of Fifth is the last great sweeping epic before Gabriel's departure while Comfortably Numb, although a lovely standout, was just another addition to the mish-mash that constituted The Wall.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 02:19
Bit like the poll for top album of 1973. How do you compare the inspired musical genius of one song against the inspired musical genius of another?

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 10:39
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Bit like the poll for top album of 1973. How do you compare the inspired musical genius of one song against the inspired musical genius of another?

No need to compare bro...
Which song u enjoy listening to more? That's the pool question.

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 11:35
Firth Of Fifth

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 13:44
Firth, easily! Never cared much for CN.

-------------

Posted By: Squeakyfoot
Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 17:18
Who the hell is comparing these two pieces of music?  Is there any link between?

Squeakyfoot

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 17:40
^^ Squeakyfoot that would be addictedtoprog

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 00:35
When I saw PF live in the 80s, they closed the show with an extended version of Comfortably Numb which I would have been content to listen to all night. However, Firth of Fifth hits so many of my musical nodes just right it got my vote; that goes especially for Hackett's great solo.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 01:35
I did listen only 90 seconds to that song. But these 90 seconds have not been Prog. It was nice Coffee house music of course. When thirsty.

But "Firth Of Fifth" is another genre. Not better. But different. You can't mention it in the same breath. A Porsche and a beetle are nice cars. But they are totally different, aren't they.

S.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:32
Originally posted by Squeakyfoot Squeakyfoot wrote:

I did listen only 90 seconds to that song. But these 90 seconds have not been Prog. It was nice Coffee house music of course. When thirsty.

But "Firth Of Fifth" is another genre. Not better. But different. You can't mention it in the same breath. A Porsche and a beetle are nice cars. But they are totally different, aren't they.

S.

Try the last 90 seconds....

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Zenbadger
Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 10:40
Firth of FIfth

I've never liked the chorus in Comfortably Numb...

Posted By: snowsnow
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 01:53
Originally posted by Zenbadger Zenbadger wrote:

Firth of FIfth

Shows how different we all are - I love Gilmour's vocals on the chorus:

"There is no pain you are receding..."!!

Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 01:55
For me it's not about liking or not. It is about comparing or not.

S.

Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 09:47
Originally posted by snowsnow snowsnow wrote:

Originally posted by Zenbadger Zenbadger wrote:

Firth of FIfth

Shows how different we all are - I love Gilmou's vocals on the chorus:

"There is no pain you are receding..."!!

Think it is a powerful song --especially if you have had a close friend who was a drug addict---but overall still voted for Firth because that solo has consistently moved me over the years.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 13:30
Firth by a long mile.....The Floyd classic is great I just feel a tad overplayed, does not detract from how great the song is but the Genesis classic IMO better

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: September 05 2017 at 05:25
two songs with amazing guitar solos
Hackett got my vote, blew me away and still does Big smile

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: September 05 2017 at 05:33
After all these years I still love Comfortably Numb, and it remains one of my favourite lead guitar songs, but I have to vote for Firth of Fifth. Both the original and the Seconds Out version still send shivers through me. Perfect Genesis. Perfect prog.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: September 05 2017 at 08:25
Firth definitely. Comfortably Numb is one of the those put me to sleep PF songs. 

-------------
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati

Posted By: mlkpad14
Date Posted: September 05 2017 at 19:07
Comfortably Numb... the version with Bowie is so good!

One of my favorites... ever!

Well, I love Firth of Fifth, too, but, y'know...

-------------
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: September 05 2017 at 21:11
I mean, for me any Pink Floyd song vs any Genesis song = automatic vote for Genesis. So being that it's Firth Of Fifth here just makes it that much more of a slam dunk vote. 

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: September 05 2017 at 21:18
Both are great. However, CN is way overplayed where as FoF is way underplayed so I went with Firth(which I actually like better anyway).

Posted By: Chula Vista
Date Posted: September 05 2017 at 21:20
Both great but Firth is definitely much more prog. Numb is a more traditional rock song.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: September 05 2017 at 22:01
I want to vote neither because those two songs are so good you end up not wanting to listen to anything else.

Posted By: TexasKing
Date Posted: September 06 2017 at 02:16
Incredibly tough choice. Comfortably Numb is one of the best Floyd songs, but I went with Firth of Fifth by a hair. 

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: September 07 2017 at 09:56
Easy one: Genesis for the win.

Never cared for The Wall.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 02:01
Firth of Fifth.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 03:45
Firth of Fifth

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 04:20
In many polls Pink Floyd go over Genesis to me, but Firth Of Fifth is just so much greater than Comfortably.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 04:21
Genesis

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: February 28 2018 at 08:44
Both are great but i went with Firth of Fifth.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk