Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99391
Printed Date: April 30 2024 at 16:04
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: If you were stranded on an island
Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Subject: If you were stranded on an island
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 01:16
Hey y'all Tongue. I've got a question for you. If you were stranded on an island and you could only take one album with you which one would it be?

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Replies:
Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 14:56
Songs of the Humpback Whale (1970 - CMR Records). 

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 15:13
Frances the Mute. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: twseel
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 15:25
any album containing a gps chip

-------------

Posted By: PC-72
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 15:49
Oh poop, this is one of those really tough ones. Of course this presents philosophical problems such as: If you bring an album with you, how would you know you have something to play it on? Why would you want to get stranded in the first place? There's enough questions inherent to this to cause a mid-life existential crisis in any individual discounting middle-aged housewives which have been scientifically proven not to possess the capability to become stranded. On the off-chance they DO become stranded, however, they prove incapable of remaining stranded.

Furthermore, you gotta keep in mind that it's an album you either gotta be prepared to resent eventually 'cause of how much you've heard it over and over...or it's gonna be worn out...or it's gonna drive you out of your mind if you only have the album and nothing to play it on!

Jesus, be careful with threads like these. You are exposing forum denizens to risks of emotional trauma and potential madness.

Okay, Phaedra.

-------------
A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 16:08
Anton Bruckner-Symphony No. 8 conducted by Hans Weisbach.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 16:27
^  Are you sure? Wink

Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 16:41
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

^  Are you sure? Wink
Yes.

Posted By: The Doctor
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 16:52
Whichever one could be played in a coconut.   

-------------
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?

Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 16:57
^LOL

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 17:16
Doesn't matter. One album isn't enough.

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 17:21
Originally posted by PC-72 PC-72 wrote:

Oh poop, this is one of those really tough ones. Of course this presents philosophical problems such as: If you bring an album with you, how would you know you have something to play it on? Why would you want to get stranded in the first place? There's enough questions inherent to this to cause a mid-life existential crisis in any individual discounting middle-aged housewives which have been scientifically proven not to possess the capability to become stranded. On the off-chance they DO become stranded, however, they prove incapable of remaining stranded.

Furthermore, you gotta keep in mind that it's an album you either gotta be prepared to resent eventually 'cause of how much you've heard it over and over...or it's gonna be worn out...or it's gonna drive you out of your mind if you only have the album and nothing to play it on!

Jesus, be careful with threads like these. You are exposing forum denizens to risks of emotional trauma and potential madness.

Okay, Phaedra.

This was not the intended idea. It  was never intended to be logical or rational. LOL  All I meant to say was" if you could only take one album with you which one would it be?"

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 17:27
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Nah i'm pretty sure i could enjoy Frances over and over again until i either die on an island or was saved.

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 17:56
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 17:57
Worn Copy, by Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti.
I always cite Can's Future Days as my favorite album, but I'd want something I could listen to every day. The Can album is more of a once a month album.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 18:01
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Nah i'm pretty sure i could enjoy Frances over and over again until i either die on an island or was saved.
I doubt anyone can find that island. Sorry to dash your hopes, but you'd be there for the long haul.

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: August 20 2014 at 18:07
Ludwig Van Beethoven - Symphony Nr.5 conducted by Herbert Von Karajan with the Berliner Philharmoniken Orchestra!!!!

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 12:26
Any complete version of Satie's "Vexations". 

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 13:05
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

No such thing. 

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 13:07
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

No such thing. 

I'll record it, then. Stern Smile

Posted By: CosmicVibration
Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 14:35

Magma – Theusz Hamtaahk Trilogie

Of course this is a live triple cd set.  If I only had the option to choose just 1 cd it would be:

Yes -  Close to the Edge

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: August 21 2014 at 15:34
Maybe Korean pop group Kara's 'Full Bloom', if nothing else than for the "fap-tastic 52 page booklet that comes with the cd.

Music-wise...I don't know, The Beatles white album covers lots of territorial ground thus it's hard to get bored with a specific genre, although I could also handle some extreme metal compilation for a serious length of time if the bands are all to my taste.

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 09:37
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Yes - Relayer
Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
Gorguts - Obscura
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 11:20
Too many to list, though The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn by Pink Floyd comes to mind.

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 11:40
The Who Live at Leeds

-------------

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 12:16
Pain Of Salvation- The Perfect Element Part 1

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: August 22 2014 at 12:46
It doesn't matter what you take because eventually you will become sick of hearing it. For that reason I refuse to take anything I even remotely like.

I think I'd like to pick A Kind Of Blue, it is just possible that given enough time I could grow to like it but even then it is inevitable that I will soon turn back to abject dislike. Either way, I will then take enormous pleasure in warping it into something useful, like a fruit bowl or a hat to shade the sun.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 13:02
Probably Field Day (Anthony Phillips), just for its length

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 23:11
If I were stranded on an island and I could only have one album it would be Pink Floyd's The Wall. There's so much music there and enough diversity amongst the songs that I would continue to discover one musical layer after another.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: Ambient Hurricanes
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 23:50
Probably Different Stages

-------------
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 12:15
If box sets are allowed: Yesyears (Yes)
If they are not allowed, but a double cd is allowed: Echoes, A Retrospective (Camel)
If only a single cd is allowed: L'Isola Di Niente (Premiata Forneria Marconi)

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 14:32
Hey, just thinking about it... How would one listen to the said record? Is there a CD player, a vinyl player or a cassette player on this island?

YES, IT'S AN IMPORTANT AND RELEVANT QUESTION TO THIS DEBATE!!! Stern Smile

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 18:13

Hey, just thinking about it... How would one listen to the said record? Is there a CD player, a vinyl player or a cassette player on this island? 

YES, IT'S AN IMPORTANT AND RELEVANT QUESTION TO THIS DEBATE!!! Stern Smile
Hmm. We could assume that the requisite player was salvaged from the wreckage of whatever form of transportation stranded you on the island. However, without electrickery all of those things are pretty useless, solar or wind generators would be needed. While the construction of primitive generators and batteries is not impossible in a desert island situation, I suspect there would be more pressing demands on your time such as food and shelter. If we assume that these items were portable and battery operated you could use them for a short time while these critical problems were addressed. 

Of course if the salvaged equipment were a cassette player then you'd also need head-cleaner, degausser or demagnetiser and an old-fashioned wooden pencil. For CD player I'd not recommend an external DAC in this situation though a player that is protected against sand and salt-spray would be advisable.

However, you can construct a rudimentary phonograph that would not require the use of electrickery out of bamboo, half a coconut shell and a thorn from a suitable tree such as the acacia (or alternatively a spine from a sea anemone). With a little ingenuity you could even power it from a small treadmill operated by a specially trained island critter, suffice to say: turtles would not be the idea choice here. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/great_egg_race/10813.shtml" rel="nofollow - www.bbc.co.uk/archive/great_egg_race/10813.shtml

-------------
What?

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 18:22
Yea these questions always crack me up as we are to assume there would be a power plant, cables, wall receptacle and such... on this "deserted island"

Rush~AFTK

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 18:28
To be fair, when the concept of "desert island discs" was created portable record players looked like this:
and didn't need electrickery.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 18:31
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

To be fair, when the concept of "desert island discs" was created portable record players looked like this:

Very true.....I suppose "if it was 1895 and you were ship wrecked...."

But then we would not be able to choose Rush, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Miles Davis......

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 19:01
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

But then we would not be able to choose Rush, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Miles Davis......
But you could have The Rolling Stones, Status Quo, Golden Earring and ZZ Top.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 00:42
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Worn Copy, by Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti.
I always cite Can's Future Days as my favorite album, but I'd want something I could listen to every day. The Can album is more of a once a month album.

I love Future Days too, and oddly enough it sometimes makes me imagine being stranded on a desert island, orbiting a black hole...forever

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 07:28

Dream Theater's Train of Thought......the only album that could make me attempt to swim back to land (I can't swim!).

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: David64T
Date Posted: September 02 2014 at 08:19
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Hey y'all Tongue. I've got a question for you. If you were stranded on an island and you could only take one album with you which one would it be?

Camel: The Snow Goose - I first heard this album maybe 34 years ago, I still love it now. Contains almost everything I love about music - except thoughtful lyrics of course...

Perhaps would take the Live Record version (which I heard first) to the desert island instead of the studio version, not sure,

-------------
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: https://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/" rel="nofollow - http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/

Date Posted: November 12 2014 at 16:30
Ludwig Van Beethoven - Symphony No.5 conducted by Herbert Von Karajan with the Berliner Philharmoniker Orchestra.

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 12 2014 at 23:24
Realistically, impossible to answer.
Whilst on holidays in The Bahamas, I listened to Gilmour's 'On An Island', on an island ....
But I think today I would take Magenta's 27 Club ANYWHERE........(such is my obsession over this album it's a growing concern......)

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: November 12 2014 at 23:38
Talking Heads - Remain in Light

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: November 13 2014 at 06:30
I'd take along my Zune and some type of generator so I could have them all.  I mean really, if you are talking an LP, without a proper setup to play it on, you couldn't listen to it.  Without a power source even a digital music player will run out of juice.  Not to mention you are going to die unless you have fresh water and food.  What the hell is the point?....

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: November 13 2014 at 07:12
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Ludwig Van Beethoven - Symphony No.5 conducted by Herbert Von Karajan with the Berliner Philharmoniker Orchestra.
You've already said that Wink

I think I'd take something by Kate Bush and sing along to it continously until all the animals on the said island got together and took me somewhere else.

And if there were no animals on this island, I'd take The Beatles - the only album I can think of with enough diversity to keep me interested in it.

And a solar powered MP3 player to play it on.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: November 13 2014 at 07:16
I'd probably pick something frightening to fend off dangerous critters or possible pirates.
I'm thinking either Current 93's Dogs Blood Rising or some Celine Dion.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: November 13 2014 at 07:48
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I'd probably pick something frightening to fend off dangerous critters or possible pirates.
Celine should do the trick.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: November 13 2014 at 07:50
Early Celine Dion has been reported to cause serious nosebleed and Tourette's syndrome-like behaviour.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: ebil0505
Date Posted: November 13 2014 at 22:56
I'd probably take Islands by King Crimson for the sake of conceptual symmetry. Anything else and I would go mad repeating "why didn't i take islands? why didn't i take islands?"
Also cuz i love that album and it would be prefect on an island

-------------
"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Posted By: Darious
Date Posted: November 13 2014 at 23:10
Only Foxtrot. Nothing else.

-------------
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)

Posted By: ten years after
Date Posted: November 14 2014 at 00:57

YES, IT'S AN IMPORTANT AND RELEVANT QUESTION TO THIS DEBATE!!! Stern Smile
Hmm. We could assume that the requisite player was salvaged from the wreckage of whatever form of transportation stranded you on the island. However, without electrickery all of those things are pretty useless, solar or wind generators would be needed. While the construction of primitive generators and batteries is not impossible in a desert island situation, I suspect there would be more pressing demands on your time such as food and shelter. If we assume that these items were portable and battery operated you could use them for a short time while these critical problems were addressed. 

Of course if the salvaged equipment were a cassette player then you'd also need head-cleaner, degausser or demagnetiser and an old-fashioned wooden pencil. For CD player I'd not recommend an external DAC in this situation though a player that is protected against sand and salt-spray would be advisable.

However, you can construct a rudimentary phonograph that would not require the use of electrickery out of bamboo, half a coconut shell and a thorn from a suitable tree such as the acacia (or alternatively a spine from a sea anemone). With a little ingenuity you could even power it from a small treadmill operated by a specially trained island critter, suffice to say: turtles would not be the idea choice here. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/great_egg_race/10813.shtml" rel="nofollow - www.bbc.co.uk/archive/great_egg_race/10813.shtml

With a few battery powered CD players and a good stock of the best lithium chloride batteries (and somewhere reasonably cool to store them) it should be possible to keep a means of playing the album for 20 years or so.

However, I might even get fed up with Yessongs if I had nothing else to listen to for 20 years.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: November 14 2014 at 01:00
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Celine should do the trick.

you'd need to make sure you took a good pair of ear plugs as well though

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: November 14 2014 at 01:05
My avatar says it all. Other? Hero and Heroine by the Strawbs 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 14 2014 at 08:05
Really tough question that always gets asked........I'm tempted to pick a nice mellow classical album like Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, but as far as prog probably ITCOTCK or an early Genesis like Trot or Cryme.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: November 14 2014 at 15:45
KC - Islands

Did I answer the right question?

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: November 14 2014 at 16:15

one album, like Dean said, is impossible.  Whatever it was it would drive you mad after a few weeks / months.  luckily I have loads of music going around in my head.

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: November 14 2014 at 16:46
This one. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0WDNY7sjpM

Posted By: Bitterblogger
Date Posted: November 14 2014 at 17:48
If we're going to mention islands for conceptual symmetry, then I must include Tull's Rock Island. Not that it'd be my choice.

Probably go with Stravinsky's Greatest Hits. 'Cos you need complexity for an indeterminate stretch.

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: November 14 2014 at 20:30

Posted By: ebil0505
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 19:08
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

KC - Islands

Did I answer the right question?

YES

-------------
"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: November 16 2014 at 19:27
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

oh that one gets you multiple McClappies.  I love that album... I love that album SO MUCH that I... forgot I had it.

I haven't listened to that in years and was likely lost in the wall of music... I better check I didn't lose it.

still got it. and putting it on now.

I fell in love with her and her music  the first time someone (I forgot who) posted this on PA's. Amazingly beautiful.

that said... if I got stuck on a desert island with her... I'd find the tallest palm tree on the island.. and jump from it.

my desert island choice. Hmmmm

gotta be TFTO.  Listened to it for years and still discover new hidden beauty and power in that sprawling album. Should be good for a few years more.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Snoopy
Date Posted: January 16 2015 at 08:11
John Greaves - Songs

Posted By: Moogmoods
Date Posted: January 16 2015 at 08:13
Works Volume 1 - ELP - simply because it has so many different styles on it. How many albums do you know that have experimental electronics, a classical concerto, two epic prog rock sequences, jazz, 5 or 6 brilliant folk tracks with exceptional lyrics, orchestral percussion - both bombastic and minimalist and superb strings as well.
My CD collection is around the 5000 mark and there isn't another album like it in the entire collection. It is unique.

-------------
The purpose of life is a life of purpose - Athena Orchard

Date Posted: January 16 2015 at 08:44
^Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 16 2015 at 09:00
One that I could use as a flotation devise.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 16 2015 at 09:18
Hi,

What am I going to use it for? To surf the waves? Play frisbee?

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 16 2015 at 14:42
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

What am I going to use it for? To surf the waves? Play frisbee?

To play frisbee on a surfboard.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 16 2015 at 15:16

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

But you could have The Rolling Stones, Status Quo, Golden Earring and ZZ Top.
LOLLOL..LOL..Smile....Ermm.....Confused.....Stern Smile

Posted By: Stool Man
Date Posted: January 16 2015 at 16:16
I would spend most of the time enjoy the peace and quiet, but every now and then I'd want a blast of something completely the opposite. 
Maybe this http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=15281

-------------
rotten hound of the burnie crew

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: January 16 2015 at 16:30
Beck-Ola by the original Jeff Beck Group

Posted By: Cookie13
Date Posted: March 12 2016 at 10:41
[second choice] Asymmetry - Karnivool

De - Loused In The Comatorium - The Mars Volta

-------------
"Clipside of the pinkeye flight
I'm not the percent you think survives
I need sanctuary in the pages of this book."

Son Et Lumiere - The Mars Volta

Posted By: chazzaboy
Date Posted: March 12 2016 at 14:01
Hold your fire - Patto - No question
I would have taken Sgt Pepper , but thats not Prog Rock

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 12 2016 at 18:02
Currently - I would make sure I had Meshuggah's Contradictions Collapse close to me. Fascinating album in every respect.

Posted By: EddieRUKiddingVarese
Date Posted: March 12 2016 at 22:04
Uncle Meat - I could eat it

-------------
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk