Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99427
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 04:31
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Who are "The Beatles" of Prog?
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: Who are "The Beatles" of Prog?
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 13:02
The Beatles turned the rock word upside down in the Sixties with all of their inventive musical styles and social fads. For my last question post for PA, I would like to ask: Who do you consider to be "The Beatles" of Progressive Rock music in regards the artist's influence and popularity on Progressive Rock music?

Replies:
Posted By: Scoppioingola
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 13:22
The Beatles of prog are The Beatles.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 13:28
Originally posted by Scoppioingola Scoppioingola wrote:

That's all I can think of. There isn't really one band who have had the same impact in prog, except a few instances such as the first King Crimson album, The Yes Album, Foxtrot and a few others

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 13:32
As much as I hate sounding like an ELP fanboy, I don't think most people today understand the popularity of this band in the 1970s.  At least it was that way in NY.  High school jocks could sing much of Karn Evil #9 and it was a type of party drinking song (1st Impression).  Most people who really enjoyed music knew about how wonderful ELP's synths sounded and how great Keith Emerson could play the piano.  No matter how much prognoscentis may want to lift up various other bands, as far as being beyond the norm in music, ELP was it.  People didn't look at Jethro Tull or Pink Floyd in the same way.  I think people just looked at Floyd back then as a more drugged out band, even though that may not have been the case behind the scenes.  

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Posted By: peter parisius
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 14:41
To me, Genesis.

I needn't to explain why, I guess. Since their very first debut 'From Genesis to Revelation' they wrote the best melodies and worked them out in a way no other band could make in those pioniers' days: with fantasy, courage, and  remarkable inventive power. We all know that everything run very quick in the 70s but Genesis stayed there like the columns of the Earth, with five-six albums that are the Bible of Symphonic Progressive Rock. At least three of them are among the absolute masterpieces of music (of all times): 'Foxtrot', 'Selling England by the Pound' and 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway'. Sure, there were other great groups in the same years: Van der Graaf Generator, King Crimson, Camel, Soft Machine, East Of Eden... you name them and I'll probably affirm that you are right: great, great bands... Gong, Focus... Pink Floyd obviously, and Jethro Tull, and Italian PFM and Banco... and... and... But no band like Genesis. Genesis tried to explore the limits of human sensibility offering not only nice melodies but complicated harmonies too. Cascades of beatiful notes, mainly driven by Tony Banks' keyboards and Steve Hackett's guitar, evoking a world of strange faibles, of everyday's crimes ("The Musical Box", "The Knife"...), and also of social troubles (including riots and injustice like in "Get 'em Out by Friday" and the "Battle of Epping Forest"...), interwaved with sweet, sweet ballads ("More Fool Me", "For Absent Friends", "Harlequin", "Lilywhite Lilith"...).
They are the very essence of prog.

Posted By: Tristan
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 14:41
I think Pink Floyd must be considered in this mentioned group

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 15:55

What he said.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 16:08
Besides the obvious "The Beatles" answer...

...King Crimson, Genesis, Yes...?

-------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

Posted By: Genital Giant
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 17:27
Genesis. I don't think any Prog band has had as much influence over other Prog bands all the way to present as Genesis. In the 1970's, King Crimson was clearly the big inspirer for the other Proggers, but from the 1980's on, Genesis' influence has been vast.

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 17:31
i am here to also add in Rush to the table.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 17:33
King Crimson of Pink Floyd the other biggies were nowhere near as influential or forwardthinking.

-------------

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 18:23
I'll get shouted down here but PF, Genesis and KC were prog or prog-like from the start. They didn't have the mainstream (pop) following that The Beatles did pre their experimental period. The only band IMHO who had mainstream pop(ularity) and then gambled on a complete change of direction a la The Beatles were Radiohead (I am hearing the shouting now!). So that's it from me....Radiohead.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 19:09
There is no prog equivalent of the Beatles.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 22:27
As far es legacy is involved, I would think Pink Floyd. As far as at the time... well it's somewhat difficult for me to say, since I wasn't yet born, but I guess King Crimson among the prog bands. For the fans, I guess it would have to be Yes and/or ELP (or Pink Floyd, once again, after they released Dark Side). But ELP may be more like the Led Zeppelin of prog.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: August 23 2014 at 23:08
I would say King Crimson as far as influence goes.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 00:33
Let's look at what The Beatles did: they released Revolver and Rubber Soul and showed how far individual songs could be taken. Then, with Sgt. Pepper, they were the first to present songs of equal or even better quality on an album that was a coherent whole. This was a quantum leap. And on top of that it was vastly popular.

Has anyone else ever released anything with that much impact? Not to my knowledge.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 00:34
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

What he said.

I agree.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 01:46
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

That's all I can think of. There isn't really one band who have had the same impact in prog, except a few instances such as the first King Crimson album, The Yes Album, Foxtrot and a few others

I don't really go along with this completely.  While there's no doubt about the impact Beatles had on rock, in terms of shaping the genre in its early days, they were hardly the only band or artist of great significance.  Rolling Stones were probably more important from the point of view of popularising rock as a kind of driving, angry music which Beatles seldom were in the pre-Rubber Soul days.  Bob Dylan popularised the idea of rock as a vehicle to register protest or at least weigh in on issues of social significance.  In terms of the one big bang event that shaped prog in its archetypal 70s form, it would have to be King Crimson and their ITCOTCK album. 

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 03:24
It depends on what aspect of The Beatles is the one you consider relevant for the question. Their popularity? their musical innovation? their capacity to evolve musically from a beat hits band to a quasi-psychedelic and even quasi-prog band? their influence on later bands?

In your OP you say it clearly, 'regarding the artist's influence and popularity'. It would have to be between ELP and Yes then, they were the 'rock stars' within Prog at their peak.
As influential as KC or Genesis were, they never had that aurea of 'rock stars', I would even put Floyd on top of them if this is the question.

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 04:45
Very subjective, but it's either Genesis or Procol Harum for me (depending on how you look at the question). Pink Floyd are also a contender for getting worldwide success with "Dark Side Of The Moon", and King Crimson for their debut too. No progressive bands really compare to The Beatles though (in terms of influence and originality). 

Back to Procol Harum, seeing as how they made one of the biggest selling singles with "A Whiter Shade Of Pale", they really must have had some influence on their millions of listeners. Also very innovative, seeing as that single was before "Sgt. Pepper" and they released the first ever real prog-rock epic in my mind (In Held Twas In I), etc. Moody Blues is up there too.

Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 05:23
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

I'll get shouted down here but PF, Genesis and KC were prog or prog-like from the start. They didn't have the mainstream (pop) following that The Beatles did pre their experimental period. The only band IMHO who had mainstream pop(ularity) and then gambled on a complete change of direction a la The Beatles were Radiohead (I am hearing the shouting now!). So that's it from me....Radiohead.

I'm not saying Radiohead isn't extremely influential but just like hundreds of thousands of more or less ambitious bands they are in debt to Pink Floyd. Saying that Pink Floyd didn't have a mainstram following doesn't make any sense. I hardly know anyone why didn't discover them through a couple of albums by them in their parents collection, and I actually think they've sold more albums than Beatles (with both Dark Side and The Wall among the 10 biggest sellers ever). 

-------------

Posted By: Watcher of the Sky
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 05:23
I'm between Genesis and King Crimson... both had huge influence in prog

-------------
Nous sommes du soleil

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 05:27
Afraid I fall into the "The Beatles of Prog are The Beatles" camp.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 09:17
Originally posted by Genital Giant Genital Giant wrote:

Genesis. I don't think any Prog band has had as much influence over other Prog bands all the way to present as Genesis. In the 1970's, King Crimson was clearly the big inspirer for the other Proggers, but from the 1980's on, Genesis' influence has been vast.

This--plus they are the only real prog band that consistently crafted good hit short pop songs like the Beatles.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 10:09
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I don't really go along with this completely.  While there's no doubt about the impact Beatles had on rock, in terms of shaping the genre in its early days, they were hardly the only band or artist of great significance.  Rolling Stones were probably more important from the point of view of popularising rock as a kind of driving, angry music which Beatles seldom were in the pre-Rubber Soul days.  Bob Dylan popularised the idea of rock as a vehicle to register protest or at least weigh in on issues of social significance.  In terms of the one big bang event that shaped prog in its archetypal 70s form, it would have to be King Crimson and their ITCOTCK album. 

That works for me for the most part but I think the Moody Blues with their use of the mellotron sound certainly influenced many also as well as their 'themed album' style. And Floyd must have had a solid influence on many bands also.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 11:14
Of course those bands had an influence on prog, no doubt.  That is my whole argument.  All I am saying is the one album that shaped prog as a structured long form rock music, which is what most prog albums slot into, was ITCOTCK.  Days of Future Passed was far more modest that way than ITCOTCK while Piper/Saucerful was more unstructured, more oriented towards experimentation.

Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 11:54
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by Genital Giant Genital Giant wrote:

This--plus they are the only real prog band that consistently crafted good hit short pop songs like the Beatles.

Thumbs Up!

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 13:10
Hi,

I do not think that The Beatles were that much more important in "music", than anything else out there. For the time span, and specially in the 50's, film, literature and a lot of art, got around.  But what The Beatles, and they are not the only ones, did the most, was help break the control of the arts by an upper class crust ... that still thought that "popular music" (or popular anything!) was not a valid artistic concept or idea.

What they brought about ... go look at the two worst business decisions EVER done, on the Internet! Thus, what The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and othes brought about was that there was a business in the "popular arts" that were not quite considered before.  Their becoming famous helped bring out so much media about the popular music, that 10 years later, the previously important arts were not even selling 1/5th the amount of the stuff out there, and today, classical music is less than 1/10th of the music bought and sold out there, not to mention that you will never find a Lollapaloosa of Classical music anywhere either!

For your question, I think, the time, the place, the politics, and the arts, were way more important than any of the bands that we can think of. To say that Genesis or Pink Floyd were important, is like saying that you never saw "Tonite We All Love in London" and realize all the movie folks, literature folks, art folks and everyone else being around, getting to know each other and in many ways sharing ideas and fun along the way. That is far more important to Genesis, than the Beatles were! Why? Because it validates the time, the place, and the work you want to do.

Robin  Williamson has said that in many ways the psychedelic thing, or anything else was a media creation, because there are many folks in that midst that are true artists, and they will do what they do, and not care what else is going on. That means that the individualistic personality, is important to make something come alive, and I believe, trully, that this was the secret behind "progressive", and not anything else. Yes, no one can ignore The Beatles, or any other music at the time, but that like saying that you, or I, can not have opinions, because we were all born later, or worse ... not a part of the click ... how cliche and boring that is, PA! Don't you agree?

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 13:28
I am not a Beatles fan, everyone knows that....Had their time and they are done, long time ago. They could not handle the fame and fortune...I agree with moshkito especially his first sentence.

It seems what most bands credit them with is song writing influence, they wrote great pop songs....Genesis wrote great pop songs too as did Marillion.

Who are the Beatles of hip-hop, R&B, disco, country...polka?

-------------

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 13:41
I can't imagine a world without the Beatles.as  I can't imagine a word without the alphabet.  Big smile

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 13:48
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I'd have to agree.  The Beatles were truly revolutionary, all the way back to the haircuts, fashions & huge concert draws.  
Most of the other early prog bands could lay claim to the huge concert draws and success with AM radio singles, particularly Yes, ELP and Pink Floyd.  

If I were to pick one, I'd say Yes for their influence on prog song structure (complex timing changes, vocal harmonies etc.), instrumentation (Rick bass, Mellotrons) and success in the pop music world, all the way to 90125.  I rather detest "Owner" but we can't deny the HUGE impact it had on the resurgence of prog pop!  

Posted By: FLAC
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 14:10
probably Pink Floyd or late Genesis 

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 14:14
Hmmm this is a strange question, although I think I understand where the OP is coming from.
This may sound strange, but the only band I'd ever compare to The Beatles in terms of influence on what happened later on in 'cutting edge' music, is The Velvet Underground. Don't get me wrong, they were nothing like The Beatles and were never 'big' in their day, but when you take a look at the multitude of different rock branchings that took their cue from The Velvets; something that stretches far beyond the Punk and Post-Punk scene - even having it's hands deep down the Krautrock scene, - you'll see just how far reaching their approach and 'sound' got. Hell listen to what the underground/experimental rock scene of your country is doing right about now, and then go back and pop on White Light/White Heat.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: August 24 2014 at 15:04
My knee-jerk reaction falls into the "Beatles, of course" camp. I'm a huge Yes-Genesis-Floyd-KC head, but I consider the Beatles' contributions to be unique and essential.

Tendencies became apparent on Yesterday and Today and Rubber Soul and started bubbling to the surface on Revolver.

Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road, IMHO, are critical compasses that helped other musicians choose their production values, assert compositional freedom, and employ a variety of interesting lyrical ideas. The Beatles were instrumental for creating the commercial environment in which prog could develop and prosper.

The Beatles planted the seeds and fertilized the garden. Pink Floyd, Hendrix, and many others also were essential parts of the 1967 revolution - music does not progress in a vacuum. The Beatles brought the clout and the savvy in a way that nobody else could deliver.

The rest is history - which, thankfully, is still being written.

Date Posted: August 25 2014 at 11:01
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I am not a Beatles fan, everyone knows that....Had their time and they are done, long time ago. They could not handle the fame and fortune...I agree with moshkito especially his first sentence.

It seems what most bands credit them with is song writing influence, they wrote great pop songs....Genesis wrote great pop songs too as did Marillion.

That's easy. Weird Al Yankavic!! LOL

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: August 25 2014 at 11:47
In terms of popularity, Pink Floyd. One of the few to have a long term stable lineup (David, Roger, Rick and Nick from 1968 to 1979) and sold a boat load of records that are still well received today.

I guess King Crimson could be another choice. I wouldn't be surprised if Fripp's genre jumping was inspired by The Beatles themselves. Then again, that could be said for almost every group that decided to experiment and/or change its sound.

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Date Posted: August 25 2014 at 11:53
If Genesis were "The Beatles" of prog...would that make Yes "The Rolling Stones"? Cool

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 25 2014 at 12:02
Miley Cyrus is the Sun Ra of modern stripper pop.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: August 25 2014 at 12:09
Originally posted by Tristan Tristan wrote:

I think Pink Floyd must be considered in this mentioned group

Sadly this is correct.

-------------

Posted By: ghost_of_morphy
Date Posted: August 25 2014 at 12:13
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

I can't imagine a world without the Beatles.as  I can't imagine a word without the alphabet.  Big smile

In a world without an alphabet, every album would have a title like Led Zeppelin IV's and every act would be known as "The artists' formerly known as ________."

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 25 2014 at 14:57
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

If Genesis were "The Beatles" of prog...would that make Yes "The Rolling Stones"? Cool

nope King Crimson

Yes = The Beach BoysTongue

and then Pink Floyd are the Pink Floyd are progLOL

Date Posted: August 25 2014 at 14:59
^

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: August 25 2014 at 15:02
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The Beatles turned the rock word upside down in the Sixties with all of their inventive musical styles and social fads. As my last post for PA, I would like to ask: Who do you consider to be "The Beatles" of Progressive Rock music in regards the artist's influence and popularity on Progressive Rock music?

Question

Floyd and Crimson probably come closest.

Date Posted: August 25 2014 at 15:50
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

nope King Crimson

Yes = The Beach BoysTongue

and then Pink Floyd are the Pink Floyd are progLOL

LOL! Still an accurate comparison!

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: August 25 2014 at 16:29
There ain't any, and prog is just that more special because of it.

Posted By: thwok
Date Posted: August 26 2014 at 09:29
I think Mr. Parisius is right.   Even though they are not even close to being my favorite band, no band has had more influence on the core of progressive rock than Genesis.  A quick study of how many neo prog bands from the 80's revival sound like Genesis supports my assertion.

-------------
I am the funkiest man on the planet!

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 26 2014 at 14:40
Originally posted by thwok thwok wrote:

I think Mr. Parisius is right.   Even though they are not even close to being my favorite band, no band has had more influence on the core of progressive rock than Genesis.  A quick study of how many neo prog bands from the 80's revival sound like Genesis supports my assertion.

its true although many seem to dismiss the later 'version' of Genesis as influential. 

Posted By: kjprogger
Date Posted: August 26 2014 at 17:04
I've never thought about this before, but it is a very apt comparison. Beatles = Genesis.

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 00:00
There really is no "Beatles of prog" imo. However, the closest would be Gentle Giant. They were around for only ten years which is only a little bit longer than the Beatles but what GG did in that short period of time is very similar and equally groundbreaking(but in a different way)to the fab four. YES would also be a contender although their longetivity is more akin to a prog equivalent to the Rolling Stones(again imo).

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 00:12
The Beatles were the core of prog, the white album alone, no record label to date would take the risk to release an album like that. Even before prog had a meaning in the moozik world, I truly believe Helter Skelter was the first metal song ever written :)

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 00:13
The Beatles were the Beatles, no band can be compared to them, really :)

Posted By: musitron
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 14:54
Klaatu Big smile
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaatu_%28band" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaatu_(band )

-------------
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dark Side Radio - Best new Prog 2015 mixed with good old stuff. - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun

Posted By: musitron
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 14:56
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

The Beatles were the core of prog, the white album alone, no record label to date would take the risk to release an album like that. Even before prog had a meaning in the moozik world, I truly believe Helter Skelter was the first metal song ever written :)
Well said Kati Thumbs Up

-------------
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dark Side Radio - Best new Prog 2015 mixed with good old stuff. - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 16:51
Pink Floyd...since their level of being overplayed until I was sick of them is similar to the Beatles. Which would make Dream Theater the Beatles of progmetal.

And to be honest, I never considered PF prog before coming to PA.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 17:03
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I truly believe Helter Skelter was the first metal song ever written :)  

Check out 7 and 7 Is by Love from 1966 and see if you still believe that (not sure I consider any of them to be metal myself though. To me its early Heavy Rock).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6An7KGK6U3c

-------------

Posted By: NYSPORTSFAN
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 18:08

It's unfortunate you are not a Beatles fan. You lose any credibility IMO if you and Moskito don't think The Beatles were the most important formative influences on the majority early progressive rock musicians.

Here is a comment from Steve Hackett of Genesis and let's be honest there are many who feel this way.

“I was a huge Beatles fan, and they really set the template for what we called ‘progressive’ music,” says Steve Hackett, legendary guitarist for progressive rock kings Genesis from 1971 to 1977. “The most interesting period of the Beatles for musicians is basically ‘Revolver’ through ‘Sgt. Pepper’ through ‘Magical Mystery Tour.’ That was the golden period for production, ideas, the beginning of what was being called ‘progressive.’ Much of what followed with British music was in the wake of that. I owe a huge debt to the Beatles.”

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 06:30
Originally posted by NYSPORTSFAN NYSPORTSFAN wrote:

It's unfortunate you are not a Beatles fan. You lose any credibility IMO if you and Moskito don't think The Beatles were the most important formative influences on the majority early progressive rock musicians.

Here is a comment from Steve Hackett of Genesis and let's be honest there are many who feel this way.

“I was a huge Beatles fan, and they really set the template for what we called ‘progressive’ music,” says Steve Hackett, legendary guitarist for progressive rock kings Genesis from 1971 to 1977. “The most interesting period of the Beatles for musicians is basically ‘Revolver’ through ‘Sgt. Pepper’ through ‘Magical Mystery Tour.’ That was the golden period for production, ideas, the beginning of what was being called ‘progressive.’ Much of what followed with British music was in the wake of that. I owe a huge debt to the Beatles.”

Clap

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 07:49
Lots of UK prog musicians have attested as to how influential the Beatles were. Bill Bruford said that if you formed a band in the late 60s there were two questions:

a. Is it as good as the Beatles?
b. Does it sound different to everyone else?

As the Hackett quote indicates, the way the Beatles developed from their beat group beginnings set out the template for other groups to "do their own thing".

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Posted By: DBJetsman
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 20:18
The Moody Blues or King Crimson

-------------
"...we hope to give you something far more substantial and fulfilling. All you need to do is sit back, and acquire the taste."

- Gentle Giant

Date Posted: September 02 2014 at 16:30
Originally posted by musitron musitron wrote:

Klaatu Big smile
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaatu_%28band" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaatu_(band )

Cheeky Devil.

Posted By: bucka001
Date Posted: September 05 2014 at 05:37
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

True dat. With each record from the Rubber Soul/Revolver period forward, they were out on their own doing stuff that hadn't been done. I mean, I love Piper (just about the only Floyd I love) and I own S F Sorrow, but neither were quite like Sgt Pepper from the same year. And each Beatles album from the mid 60s on is widely considered a groundbreaking classic. You couldn't say that for Yes, Genesis, Crimson, ELP, etc, even during their heydays. Jaxon of VdGG once was quoted as saying that once Sgt Pepper came out, it opened everyone up to the possibilities of what could be done with rock music, it was a cultural event (Hammill said the same about the song "Tomorrow Never Knows"). That couldn't be said for anything put out by Genesis, Yes, et al. (well, maybe for ITCOTCK, but after that KC was on the runmill just like all the other Prog acts). So, there is no Beatles equivalent in Prog.

-------------
jc

Posted By: Hnrz
Date Posted: September 05 2014 at 05:52
I'd go with Pink Floyd. Everyone knows who they are, and DSOTM is literally in the top five selling records of all time, being part of a run of flawless albums. Literally all prog bands cite them as an influence, and many non-prog bands also cite them. The influence and resonance is clearly massive. Also there was a thread here about how people get into prog these days, and pretty much everyone said PF. If there is a prog equivalent of the Beatles, I'd bet on Pink Floyd.

Posted By: bucka001
Date Posted: September 05 2014 at 06:24
I'm in the camp of those who consider Floyd to be progressive (small 'p') but not Prog (people have different views on that, I know). But if one does allow for Floyd to be included as a Prog band, then they probably would be the closest to The Beatles. In the 70's, every album was greeted by much hoopla (radio went crazy, and everyone knew about the new Floyd album, whether you liked them or not). And they seemed to be respected by the critics, each album was something of an event (sort of like Zeppelin). That wasn't so much the case with Genesis or Crimson. I even remember TV commercials for some of their albums when they came out (definitely The Wall). Never my cup of tea, Floyd, but no denying that they were huge as far as having an impact on a pop (rock)culture.

-------------
jc

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: September 05 2014 at 08:07
Beach Boys might be a good equivalent of the Beatlesbut for some unfathomable reason, they are not on the PA proto-prog / prog related list of the bands

Date Posted: September 05 2014 at 08:30
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Beach Boys might be a good equivalent of the Beatlesbut for some unfathomable reason, they are not on the PA proto-prog / prog related list of the bands
Shocked Hmmm, Pet Sounds not Proto? Does anyone know why?

Date Posted: September 05 2014 at 08:32

But they're not a prog band by any stretch of the imagination, so they can't be the Beatles of prog.

Date Posted: September 05 2014 at 08:33

But they're not a prog band by any stretch of the imagination, so they can't be the Beatles of prog.
Not even proto prog?

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: September 05 2014 at 22:44
The Beatles and prog are too close chronologically and too closely related for this to make any sense. The Beatles are the most influential band on rock music, prog included.

I suppose you could say King Crimson though, within the subgenres of prog. Their early period had traces of just about all of it.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk