Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99496
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 22:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: TAAB VS. CTTE !!
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: TAAB VS. CTTE !!
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 16:18
Which album do you like better: TAAB or CTTE?

Replies:
Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 16:24
TAAB has the edge for sure

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 16:27
TAAB. Clever cover, sly lyrics and more diverse composition musically, even though "And You and I" was the best song Yes ever made.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 16:31
Not fun, dude.

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 16:53
Close To The Edge by quite a way. Both are obviously masterpieces though

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 17:06
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Exactly.

-------------

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 17:20
I've grown a bit tired of TaaB (although it's been a while since I played it now), while CttE (or any other Yes album, for that matter) I've never been a huge fan of, so no vote.

Perhaps I should revisit both soon?

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 17:32
TAAB

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 17:35
CTTE, cos it's an older friend. 

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 18:09
I like both, but both are rather flawed. I don't consider either a masterpiece and would rate them both 4*.

TAAB is more consistently good - there are no bad bits and the lyrics are very clever. The track CTTE is phenomenal but side 2 doesn't match it.

So I like them both pretty equally.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 18:38
YES all the way.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Sumdeus
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 19:07
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

YES all the way.

this

-------------
http://sumdeus.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 20:41
YYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!! though TAaB i heard once so i need to hear it again.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 21:00
CTTE Vs one song created as a joke?
LOL! voted for CTTE of course.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 21:38
Close to the Edge for me.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 22:35
I will go with Thick as a Brick.

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 22:41
Close To The Edge by a million miles. I never have cared much for Jethro Tull and simply can't acquire the taste for their music.

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 22:54
Jethro Tull

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Posted By: m2thek
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 23:01
I really like TAAB, but CTTE is more consistent (nearly perfect) so I get more enjoyment all the way through. TAAB is definitely more musically interesting at many points, but CTTE is super enjoyable at every minute.

-------------

Matt

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 23:06
TAAB.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Billy Pilgrim
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 23:14
Selling England By the Pound! Sorry, had to.

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 23:25
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Close To The Edge by a million miles. I never have cared much for Jethro Tull and simply can't acquire the taste for their music.

This is how I feel too.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 00:41
Thick as a Brick

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 02:50
TAAB would be great if 20 minutes length. To me is full of fillers. CTTE is completely consistent. No one can call "And You And I" filler.
The best Tull album for me is Aqualung

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 06:29

Precisely. Close to The Edge is going to win any and all polls for me, btw Wink.

-------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 08:33
TAAB for me.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 08:37
Both great albums.....for me CTTE wins by a nose.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 09:25
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Exactly.

THIS.Big smile

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 09:35
Close to the Edge is not my favorite Yes album, but it's a good one. TAAB is just decent (imo).

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 09:50
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

TAAB would be great if 20 minutes length. To me is full of fillers. CTTE is completely consistent. No one can call "And You And I" filler.

Hi. 
Hmm..."Fillers" again. Honestly this "Filler" made me to note (zoom) to long tracks with this point of view again and its change my opinion about some of them (long track or epic or ...). I think "Filler" theory! "CAN" be a good measure for analysis some tracks or songs or ...but its not work for everything!! Sometimes one song or Album may have powerful musical structure or another perfect musical elements without using "perfect fillers" or perfect using of "Fillers"!!
I mean there are more important measures to analysis and review music than "Filler" but in many case you can't ignore that. "When" and "Where" are 2 good words for ranking "Filler" value in one good analysis(IMO). I really hope you understand me. Thanks.

Posted By: JCDenton
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 11:42
Thick as a Brick has always been my preference between the two. Close to the Edge is definitely an essential. I just think Brick is better throughout. CttE's b-side isn't the thrill the a-side is. "And You and I" is a great track. It's "Siberian" that I have some minor issues with. Pig I feel like a tougher choice for me would be the epics (songs) vs. each other. "Thick as a Brick (part 1)" vs. "Thick as a Brick (part 2)" vs. "Close to the Edge (part 3-er, uh, wait..)".

But the albums alone: Thick as a Brick. Not a hard choice for me. Wink

-------------
"We have grown, but there is still much to be done. Many that live in darkness that must be shown the way, for it is the dawning of a new day."

Posted By: Varon
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 12:39
Thick as Brick, easy choice for me

-------------
Would you catch the final words of mine?
Would you catch my words???

Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 13:04

For me that's Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young To Die!

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 13:10
CTTE any day

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 13:48
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 17:24
CTTE gets a bit sleepy in parts. The middle of the title song and And you and I drag on

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 19:21
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

YYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!! though TAaB i heard once so i need to hear it again.

You have heard it once?! And you voted?

Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 22:46
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Hi. 
Hmm..."Fillers" again. Honestly this "Filler" made me to note (zoom) to long tracks with this point of view again and its change my opinion about some of them (long track or epic or ...). I think "Filler" theory! "CAN" be a good measure for analysis some tracks or songs or ...but its not work for everything!! Sometimes one song or Album may have powerful musical structure or another perfect musical elements without using "perfect fillers" or perfect using of "Fillers"!!
I mean there are more important measures to analysis and review music than "Filler" but in many case you can't ignore that. "When" and "Where" are 2 good words for ranking "Filler" value in one good analysis(IMO). I really hope you understand me. Thanks.

OK, I just found a pair of flaws in your impersonation. Moshkito wouldn't so easily let something change his opinion, I believe. Nor do I think the would begin a post with an expression like "mmm"... and you missed an opinion about something related to expressing some songs as filler is just sad. Perhaps he would have said that the artist surely doesn't write material thinking to make it filler, and that it's just sad that we can't apreciate and understand what they were trying to say, etc.

Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 23:02
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

CTTE gets a bit sleepy in parts. The middle of the title song and And you and I drag on
In my opinion, Ian Anderson is a far better composer of songs than composer of long epics - in which Yes have no real competitor.

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 23:31
If that was true Topographic wouldnt be so polarizing. 

I hate JT and i dislike Yes

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 23:44
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

OK, I just found a pair of flaws in your impersonation. Moshkito wouldn't so easily let something change his opinion, I believe. Nor do I think the would begin a post with an expression like "mmm"... and you missed an opinion about something related to expressing some songs as filler is just sad. Perhaps he would have said that the artist surely doesn't write material thinking to make it filler, and that it's just sad that we can't apreciate and understand what they were trying to say, etc.

LOL LOL

But let's leave Moshkito alone. It's true, I don't often know what he's on about. But he could be on a higher plane. Anyway, I enjoy reading him Big smile I'm more worried about Horizons. He doesn't like JT nor Yes. In progarchovies dot com! Is that allowed? Is there an intervention we can do? Approve LOL

Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 23:54
JT is annoying to me and could never get into them. 

For Yes - dislike may be a bad choice of wording, but i certainly don't listen to them anymore. 
I can't sit through an album of theres anymore unfortunately, i just get tired. I used to love The Yes Album and Relayer but my tastes have evolved to the point where those albums no longer interest me or hit me as strong as they used to. 

If i listen to any Yes song it's prolly going to be Heart of the Sunrise or something off of Time and a Word.

-------------

Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 23:59
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

JT is annoying to me and could never get into them. 

For Yes - dislike may be a bad choice of wording, but i certainly don't listen to them anymore. 
I can't sit through an album of theres anymore unfortunately, i just get tired. I used to love The Yes Album and Relayer but my tastes have evolved to the point where those albums no longer interest me or hit me as strong as they used to. 

If i listen to any Yes song it's prolly going to be Heart of the Sunrise or something off of Time and a Word.

I was just teasin' yah Big smile 

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 00:01
Oh i know, was bored and might as well explain myself anyway. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 00:12

I should be more precise - in 70s symphonic prog there is no one band which can be in the same contest with Yes regarding the long epics.
Toward your hatred for Jethro Tull & dislike Yes, I can only laugh on it, because it's something like to be a member of a metal forum and to hate e.g. Iron Maiden.

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 00:19
I'm guessing you mean laugh? Tongue

I guess for all the times you've given me a laugh, i should repay the favor. 

-------------

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 00:24

I'm guessing you mean laugh? Tongue

(...)
Oh, I'm very sorry for that lapse..

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 03:50
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

<span id="result_" ="" lang="en"><span ="hps">In my opinion</span><span ="">,</span> <span ="hps">Ian</span> <span ="hps">Anderson</span> <span ="hps">is a far better</span> <span ="hps">composer</span> <span ="hps">of songs than</span> <span ="hps">composer of</span> <span ="hps">long</span> <span ="hps">epics -</span> <span ="hps">in</span> <span ="hps">which</span> Y<span ="hps">es</span> <span ="hps">have no real</span> <span ="hps">competitor</span><span ="">.</span></span>

I reckon Yes run out of ideas when their songs go longer than 10 minutes. TAAB is 10-12 great melodies joined together

-------------

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 05:57
^ Ian Anderson says Thick As A Brick was a hoax concept album. In the favour of that hoax, Ian Anderson was created an extenteded version of the song which normally would be, say, four times shorter. Of course that he added some nice melodies; how else to stretch a song like a chewing gum?
That's the reason why for me that shortened version from Bursting Out sounds far better than that long hoax what Thick As A Brick is.
TAAB's album jacket's design is a nice black & white stuff but it was also created in the favour of that hoax.

So in my opinion, TAAB as a hoax album, as a parody on our beloved genre, could not be better than that grandiose prog symphony what Close to the Edge really is - packaged in Roger Dean's masterpiece.

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 06:02

^ Ian Anderson says Thick As A Brick was a hoax concept album. In the favour of that hoax, Ian Anderson created extenteded version of the song which normally would be, say, four times shorter. Of course that he added some nice melodies; how else to stretch a song like a chewing gum?
That's the reason why for me that shortened version from Bursting Out sounds far better than that long hoax what Thick As A Brick is.
TAAB's album jacket's design is a nice black & white stuff but it was also created in the favour of that hoax.

So in my opinion, TAAB as a hoax album, as a parody on our beloved genre, could not be better than that grandiose prog symphony what Close to the Edge really is - packaged in Roger Dean's masterpiece.

The fact that TAAB is a hoax album makes it all that much more awesome. But you're correct; in comparison to CTTE, it's really an easy choice here.

-------------

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 06:10
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

^ Ian Anderson says Thick As A Brick was a hoax concept album. In the favour of that hoax, Ian Anderson created extenteded version of the song which normally would be, say, four times shorter. Of course that he added some nice melodies; how else to stretch a song like a chewing gum?

The fact that TAAB is a hoax album makes it all that much more awesome. But you're correct; in comparison to CTTE, it's really an easy choice here.

Not for me it isn't.

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 09:20

Well--while I don't completely get the Yes hate---I sorta get the dislike of Tull---I used to like them and listen to them but now not my thingy----now if you hate the classic Genesis period, got to get a petition to get you off this site.WinkLOL

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 10:53
I love Genesis, including their quality pop era. Classic era bands that tickle my fancy are VdGG, Camel, Can and pretty much any Canterbury. 

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 13:09

I love Genesis, including their quality pop era. Classic era bands that tickle my fancy are VdGG, Camel, Can and pretty much any Canterbury. 

I have never really understood the love for the so-called 'quality pop era' of Genesis by prog rock fans.
IMHO those tracks with Collins are just ok and not something with any major impact.

I really like the Canterbury period bands also but I have always had a love/hate relationship with VDGG and GG.; some great tracks by both bands but also many difficult songs that seem to be more about being clever than being 'musical'.

For me earlier and some later Tull are the more interesting and entertaining albums. TAAB has some nice bits here and there but I find it tedious as a whole. CTTE hangs together better for me overall but if one is not much of a Yes fan then it can also feel overwrought I suppose. I tend to play The Yes album and Fragile more.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 13:48
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Not for me it isn't.

TAAB is not a "hoax" and I defy you to supply a quote using that word. As a satire it is superb, parodizing small-town newspapers and the small-minded who run the town with a Monty Pythonesque bite, and the lyrics are far and away better than Jon Anderson's new age repetitive mush.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: 33rpm
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 14:11
TAAB

-------------
Vinyl just sounds better!!

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 14:44
Both

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 17:16
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Not for me it isn't.

TAAB is not a "hoax" and I defy you to supply a quote using that word. As a satire it is superb, parodizing small-town newspapers and the small-minded who run the town with a Monty Pythonesque bite, and the lyrics are far and away better than Jon Anderson's new age repetitive mush.

You are spot on Elfy.....repetitive, new age, high pitched mush.

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 17:48
I love both but TAAB slightly more. I understand CttE is considered by many progrock fans as a base of the genre record. Maybe yes (it was my first ever Yes record I've heard a lot of years ago and title song and And You And I are great; Siberian Khathru leaves me a little bit cold on the other side :-) ) but I like other Yes records more...
I thought I won't vote here but I changed my mind and my vote goes to JT.

-------------

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 21:05
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Well--while I don't completely get the Yes hate---I sorta get the dislike of Tull---I used to like them and listen to them but now not my thingy----now if you hate the classic Genesis period, got to get a petition to get you off this site.WinkLOL
Does indifference count?

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 21:17

I should be more precise - in 70s symphonic prog there is no one band which can be in the same contest with Yes regarding the long epics.
<span id="result_" ="short_text"="" lang="en">Toward <span ="hps"="">your</span> <span ="hps"="">hatred for</span> <span ="hps"="">Jethro Tull & dislike Yes, I can only laugh on it, because it's something like to be a member of a metal forum and to hate e.g. Iron Maiden.</span></span>
<span ="short_text"="" lang="en"><span ="hps"=""></span></span>

Actually, I guess it would be much easier to find a fan of Metal music who would end up disliking Iron Maiden, than a fan of prog who would dislike Yes. Specially, there are many extreme Metal fans who seem to be proud about disliking bands such as Iron Maiden and Metallica and dismiss them as too soft, or pop, or whatever may fancy them in order to appear tougher and with stronger tastes (well, there are those around here that would dismiss the classic prog giants for not being innovative enough, or virtuos enough, or whatever may fancy them).

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 21:25

I also like much better the live version on Bursting Out of Thick as a Brick. It's got just about all the wonderful parts from side one, and left out the parts where the song strated to drag too long. The only thing is that there are near 10 more minutes of wonderful music that are missing if you don't have the studio album.

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 22:20
I reckon Yes were best from 1969-1971. CTTE is similar quality but you can see the cracks coming through on this album which were more noticeable on the next 2 albums. The cracks I mention are the bit of filler across the longer length songs from 1972-74 even though there is plenty of pretty good music in between. But I find each album weakened as the years went by between 72 and 74.

-------------

Date Posted: September 01 2014 at 05:53

I also like much better the live version on Bursting Out of Thick as a Brick. It's got just about all the wonderful parts from side one, and left out the parts where the song strated to drag too long. The only thing is that there are near 10 more minutes of wonderful music that are missing if you don't have the studio album.

Absolutely! Thumbs Up

That's the thing, though; sometimes I'm in the mood for the studio version. When I'm working in Photoshop or something, the longness is just perfect. Yes is always, perfect, though.

-------------

Posted By: Roj
Date Posted: September 02 2014 at 03:17
For many years this would have been an absolute walkover for CTTE.  However I am (after 30 years LOL) developing a real affinity for TAAB so this is much closer than it once was.  The vote is still for Yes for the time being put post this poll again next year (surely somebody will Tongue) and the answer might be different.........

Date Posted: September 02 2014 at 09:43

Hi. 

MISUNDERSTANDING!! You don't know my opinion. I like "Filler" theory. I cant understand your opinion. I cant understand why you are angry about me?!!!!

Date Posted: September 02 2014 at 09:57
I never stand in wrong opinions and change my opinion when I found it wrong.If this is wrong in your book , you dont do this. I am here for learning more and talk about music. Moshkito is one of my friends in PA like octopus-4. I always follow their posts . I wait for Octopus not you Dellinger. I dont know you and I dont want to continue this discuss with you.

Date Posted: September 02 2014 at 10:06

Hi. 

MISUNDERSTANDING!! You don't know my opinion. I like "Filler" theory. I cant understand your opinion. I cant understand why you are angry with me?!!!!

Date Posted: September 02 2014 at 21:16

Hi. 

MISUNDERSTANDING!! You don't know my opinion. I like "Filler" theory. I cant understand your opinion. I cant understand why you are angry with me?!!!!

Indeed now I think this was a huge misunderstandinf on my part. Hey, I'm really sorry, just, because of a few details on the way you posted, it seemed to me that you were fooling around imitating Moshkito, and I tried to join in the fooling around. I meant absolutley no offense towards you nor towards Moshkito (and actually I NEVER post anything with the intention of offending anyone), and I'm really sorry if either of you took it the wrong way (even though I rather doubt Moshkito even saw this posts). Now this is what happens to me for assuming things wrongly

Date Posted: September 03 2014 at 09:44
Thank you Dellinger. Honestly my English is not good and sometimes its make me mistake.Few days before octopus wrote a comment  about mike oldfield's Tubular Bells and use "Fillers" word in long tracks or epic or... and I saw this for first time. I like this "Filler" and after that I listened to some of long tracks or epics again with "Filler" poin of view and .....
This is all about fillers. I don't want to waste your time and I hope you understand me. I care about PA members and I don't want to disturb any one in PA forum. Perhaps sometimes we discuss hard about our opinion and attack to each other but this is about music. Thank you again my friend. 

Posted By: CosmicVibration
Date Posted: September 03 2014 at 10:21

Is there a better masterpiece than CTTE? I have not heard any yet… Granted, some get extremely close. But still, they did not surpass the stunning creation by Yes that is Close to the Edge.

Date Posted: September 03 2014 at 12:52
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

I've grown a bit tired of TaaB (although it's been a while since I played it now), while CttE (or any other Yes album, for that matter) I've never been a huge fan of, so no vote.

Perhaps I should revisit both soon?
Gave them both a listen last night. I agree with those who say TaaB part two is weaker than part one, but, IMO, CttE's got parts that doesn't hold up, too.

Not much between them, as far as I'm concerned, but I'm more acquainted with TaaB, so it gets my vote.

Although I consider both masterpieces, none of them are what I consider the pinnacle of the prog genre. A Passion Play or Red on the other hand...

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: September 03 2014 at 13:11
Foxtrot

-------------

Date Posted: September 03 2014 at 22:54

Thank you Dellinger. Honestly my English is not good and sometimes its make me mistake.Few days before octopus wrote a comment  about mike oldfield's Tubular Bells and use "Fillers" word in long tracks or epic or... and I saw this for first time. I like this "Filler" and after that I listened to some of long tracks or epics again with "Filler" poin of view and .....
This is all about fillers. I don't want to waste your time and I hope you understand me. I care about PA members and I don't want to disturb any one in PA forum. Perhaps sometimes we discuss hard about our opinion and attack to each other but this is about music. Thank you again my friend. 

It's good to know that we are OK, and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. But however, even if it was not my intention, I even managed to make at leas one more user believe that you did were trying to impersonate Mosh

Date Posted: September 04 2014 at 08:39

It's good to know that we are OK, and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. But however, even if it was not my intention, I even managed to make at leas one more user believe that you did were trying to impersonate Mosh

Thumbs Up

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: September 04 2014 at 08:55
love close to the edge but

Really don't mind if you sit this one out

-------------
Prog On!

Date Posted: September 04 2014 at 16:09
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Foxtrot
Naaaah, I much prefer Selling. Godbluff's another prog pinnacle candidate, as far as I'm concerned.

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: September 05 2014 at 09:55
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Foxtrot
Naaaah, I much prefer Selling. Godbluff's another prog pinnacle candidate, as far as I'm concerned.

Okay.

-------------

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: September 07 2014 at 23:28

Jethro Tull, Thick as a Brick.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: Zenbadger
Date Posted: September 08 2014 at 03:46
Originally posted by dellinger dellinger wrote:

Actually, I guess it would be much easier to find a fan of Metal music who would end up disliking Iron Maiden

Good luck with that...

CTTE got me into prog. Clear winner.

Date Posted: September 08 2014 at 18:25
Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

<p ="Msonormal">Is there a better masterpiece than CTTE? I have not heard
any yet… Granted, some get extremely close. But still, they did not surpass the
stunning creation by Yes that is Close to the Edge.

I can pick 10 off the top of my head

Tull-TAAB
Samurai-samurai
Magma-wurdah itah
Camel-Moonmadness
Hatfield-rotters club
Caravan-grey and pink
Gentle giant-power and glory
Hawkwind-astounding sounds
Oblivion express-better land
Van der graaf-h to he
Rush-hemispheres
Greenslade-greenslade
King crimson-Poseidon
Ronnie foster-on the avenue

-------------

Posted By: CosmicVibration
Date Posted: September 09 2014 at 09:08

QUOTE=CosmicVibration]

Tull-TAAB
Samurai-samurai
Magma-wurdah itah
Camel-Moonmadness
Hatfield-rotters club
Caravan-grey and pink
Van der graaf-h to he
Rush-hemispheres
Greenslade-greenslade
King crimson-Poseidon

[/QUOTE]

Nice list, a couple are in the neighborhood but most do not even come close.  CTTE still stands as #1 in my head.

Date Posted: September 09 2014 at 21:17

QUOTE=CosmicVibration]

Tull-TAAB
Samurai-samurai
Magma-wurdah itah
Camel-Moonmadness
Hatfield-rotters club
Caravan-grey and pink
Van der graaf-h to he
Rush-hemispheres
Greenslade-greenslade
King crimson-Poseidon

<!--if gte mso 9>
<o:OfficeSettings>
<o:AllowPNG/>
</o:OfficeSettings>
<!-->

<p ="Msonormal">Nice list, a couple are in the neighborhood but most do not
even come close.<span style="mso-spacerun:yes">  </span>CTTE still stands as #1
in my head.

<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:TrackMoves/>
<w:Trackatting/>
<w:PunctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:DonotPromoteQF/>
<w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther>
<w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian>
<w:LidThemeComplex>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplex>
<w:Compatibility>
   <w:BreakWrappedTables/>
   <w:SnapToGridInCell/>
   <w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
   <w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
   <w:DontGrowAutofit/>
   <w:SplitPgBreakAndark/>
   <w:EnableKerning/>
   <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/>
   <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/>
</w:Compatibility>
<m:mathPr>
   <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/>
   <m:brkBin m:val="before"/>
   <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/>
   <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/>
   <m:dispDef/>
   <m:lMargin m:val="0"/>
   <m:rMargin m:val="0"/>
   <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/>
   <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/>
   <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/>
   <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/>
</m:mathPr></w:Word>
<!--><!--if gte mso 9>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true"    DefSemi="true" DefQat="false" DefPriority="99"    LatentStyleCount="267">
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Normal"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="ing 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 7"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 8"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 9"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" Qat="true" Name="caption"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Title"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Subtitle"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Strong"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Emphasis"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="No Spacing"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Quote"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" Semi="false"     UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Book Title"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Qat="true" Name="TOC ing"/>
</w:LatentStyles>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
     {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
     mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
     mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
     mso-style-noshow:yes;
     mso-style-priority:99;
     mso-style-parent:"";
     mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
     mso-para-margin-top:0in;
     mso-para-margin-right:0in;
     mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
     mso-para-margin-left:0in;
     line-height:115%;
     mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
     font-size:11.0pt;
     font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
     mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
     mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
     mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
     mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

<!-->[/QUOTE]

I know almost half the albums listed here, and no, none of them are even close to CttE. Well, perhaps Thick as a Brick is the closer one, but it's still got it's share of bits that I don't like so much.

Date Posted: September 09 2014 at 22:49

Is there a better masterpiece than CTTE? I have not heard any yet… Granted, some get extremely close. But still, they did not surpass the stunning creation by Yes that is Close to the Edge.

I agree 100% Cosmic---this is new musical sound that is like no other---and sounds fresh today after all these years--that can not be said for the albums on that list. But to each their own.Smile

Date Posted: September 10 2014 at 18:27

I know almost half the albums listed here, and no, none of them are even close to CttE. Well, perhaps Thick as a Brick is the closer one, but it's still got it's share of bits that I don't like so much.

I reckon half the people in here are brainwashed. To say those albums don't come close. There's nothing between them. Lots of great composing and musicianship on each of those albums. I just think there is less filler on the albums I listed.

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2014 at 21:33

I reckon half the people in here are brainwashed. To say those albums don't come close. There's nothing between them. Lots of great composing and musicianship on each of those albums. I just think there is less filler on the albums I listed.

No, I was not brainwashed to think that CttE is better than the albums I know from the list. I've just heard them and don't like them as much, which is my personal opinion, just as it's yours to like those albums better. I could come with a list of my own from albums that I like better, or at least just about the same (yeah, I guess about the same would be more acurate, since CttE is already at the top of my favs).
To begin with, Fragile from themselves is very close to it already.
From Rick Wakeman I would put Six Wives and Arthur.
From King Crimson I very easily go with the debut over Poseidon. Poseidon for me sounds like a less inspired attempt at repeating the formula from the first album, and in every equivalent part of the album I prefer the one from the debut.
From Pink Floyd I can go with Dark Side, WYWH, Animals, and Division Bell.
Inferno from Metamorfosi.
Hamburger Concerto from Focus.
Mirage from Camel (over Moonmadness).
Script from a Jesters Tear from Marillion.
Hybris from Anglagard.
The Whirwind from Transatlantic.
The Raven that Refused to Sing, from Steven Wilson.

And I'm missing some other albums that I could put here.

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: September 21 2014 at 20:16
CTTE is one of my favorite symphonic "prog" albums, although not the most favorite. As for the TAAB, I get the concept and appreciate the humor, but do not like what's going on after the title song.  

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk