Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99503
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 14:10
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 60's & 70's prog rock band quiz
Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Subject: 60's & 70's prog rock band quiz
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 15:20
Not sure why this guy limited things to just the golden age but on the flip side the older lesser known stuff deserves more attention among the younger prog fans imo. Anyway, here is the quiz. I got about maybe 25 of them but then the timer ran out. See how you guys do. Unfortunately I wasn't able to add the hyper link so you'll need to copy and paste. It's not that hard to do.Wink

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Turamarth/100-progressive-rock-bands

Replies:
Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 15:22
I not even going to humor the "deserves more attention" comment :|

Also: Quiz not found. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 15:25
Like I said, I wasn't able to insert the hyper link for whatever reason but if you copy or copy and paste it should definitely work. Also, I won't humor your comment about the humoring of my comment. Wink

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 15:49
I got 62% It prolly woulda been higher if a) I recognized all the non-English titles; might know the music but the titles didn't ring a bell. b) it accepted 'Il Balleto di Bronzo' as an answer; was about 99% sure that was the correct answer but it was not accepted.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 16:31
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Not sure why this guy limited things to just the golden age but on the flip side the older stuff deserves more attention among the younger prog fans imo. Anyway, here is the quiz. I got about maybe 25 of them but then the timer ran out. See how you guys do. Unfortunately I wasn't able to add the hyper link so you'll need to copy and paste. It's not that hard to do.Wink

Ageist BS, wonderful.

Anyway, 45/100. Far too much Italian prog on there, I missed 5 or 6 trying to get the spelling right, there was a few others that I couldn't recall the names of (Traffic for one, kept trying to put in Triumvirate for some reason). A lot of obscure stuff on there as well (T2?), I;d be surprised if their were many people that could score over 70.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 16:39
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Not sure why this guy limited things to just the golden age but on the flip side the older stuff deserves more attention among the younger prog fans imo. Anyway, here is the quiz. I got about maybe 25 of them but then the timer ran out. See how you guys do. Unfortunately I wasn't able to add the hyper link so you'll need to copy and paste. It's not that hard to do.Wink

Ageist BS, wonderful.

Anyway, 45/100. Far too much Italian prog on there, I missed 5 or 6 trying to get the spelling right, there was a few others that I couldn't recall the names of (Traffic for one, kept trying to put in Triumvirate for some reason). A lot of obscure stuff on there as well (T2?), I;d be surprised if their were many people that could score over 70.

Not ageist at all. I'm not even old enough to have been a prog fan in the seventies. Wink Also, I should have specified that I meant older obscure prog and not the big five or whatever. 

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 16:50
34/100 Ermm

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 18:06
Mostly prog, but I've created a few quizzes on that site if anyone is interested in playing them.

http://www.sporcle.com/user/Metalmarsh89/contributed

Also, 24/100 Cry

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Posted By: fudgenuts64
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 18:34
23/100, lots of foreign stuff I have no idea about. Pavlov's Dog was the rarest one I named.

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 18:49
0 / 100 damn

I guess I should actually take the quiz if I want higher

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Posted By: DBJetsman
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 19:48
11 / 100 lol

-------------
"...we hope to give you something far more substantial and fulfilling. All you need to do is sit back, and acquire the taste."

- Gentle Giant

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 20:23
14 out of 100. Some of it was not Prog. I got Golden Earring right, and I like the band, but it's not Prog. I missed Spiro Gyra. They're a jazz band from my hometown, but they're not Prog. It's questionable how much they're even fusion, because it was so weak on the rock side of the ledger and was the reason a couple band members broke off to form Gamelon, which was a real kick ass fusion band in the 80s. I missed Traffic because I could only think of Steve Winwood at the time and not the band name. I should have gotten Atoll. I'd been listening to it enough lately, but I just plain missed it. I missed Soft Machine and all the other Canterbury bands except Gong. I listen to them without any regard to the song titles. I just play the music. On the other hand, others I've never gotten around to, like Goblin and Amon Duul and so on.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 20:24
I am one of the older guys and got 45/100. There was a couple I should have gotten, but there were a lot of bands I don't listen to, many RPI which I do not know very well. There were even a couple I did not recognize.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 21:09
42. Damned those Italian and French band names!Confused

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 21:20
I'm guessing that the Spiro Gyro was the English prog folk band and not the jazz band. The jazz band from the eighties was all instrumental afaik.

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 21:32

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: JCDenton
Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 21:44
Got 50/100. Knew right from the start that it wouldn't be all Prog with Golden Earring being answer #1, yet I still got to the Wishbone Ash one and thought "…nah. Couldn't be them!" without even trying… and missed it of course. Also feel dumb for missing the Comus one.

-------------
"We have grown, but there is still much to be done. Many that live in darkness that must be shown the way, for it is the dawning of a new day."

Date Posted: August 30 2014 at 22:15
I got 61 out of 100. I would have gotten 62 but couldn't think of Quella Vechia Locanda in time. I knew the band but couldn't quite think of their name. I have to admit this is the second time I took it. The only one I remembered though was Steel Mill so if you guys want to deduct one point from me I'm ok with that. Lol. 

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 00:08

I'm guessing that the Spiro Gyro was the English prog folk band and not the jazz band. The jazz band from the eighties was all instrumental afaik.

Mmm...yes. I forgot about them, and obviously don't recognize them by any of their songs anyway. The spelling of their name is slightly different too, 'Spiro Gyra' not 'Spyro Gyra'.

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 00:22
Yep. Different band but their name sounds the same. 

And to be fair to Golden Earing they are listed on this site as prog related. That's good enough for me. I don't really consider the Moody Blues to be full on prog either and maybe some other bands. I've heard some people say the same about Curved Air. Plus Golden Earing DID have an album that was listed in a classic rock PROG magazine special under the forty comsic prog albums list. I believe it was Moontan. One of their songs was on the old Supernatural fairy tales box set which highlighted the golden(no pun intended)era of prog.

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 01:26
To hard for me, I'm not good enough to spell in eng, to get anywhere in due time, and absolutely impossibly to remember those italiens titles, my good, I just listen to the albums, don't know a single track.☺️

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: Quirky Turkey
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 06:42

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 07:50
38 here after doing it three times and unfortunately looked some of them up (i didn't want to explode on some of them that i know the answer to but couldn't think of it.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 09:57
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

0 / 100 damn

LOL Same here.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Greg W
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 11:25
28..I got stuck on Mike Oldfield and refused to leave it until I came up with his name. Serious old man brain fart moment.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 11:33

Not sure why this guy limited things to just the golden age but on the flip side the older lesser known stuff deserves more attention among the younger prog fans imo. Anyway, here is the quiz. I got about maybe 25 of them but then the timer ran out. See how you guys do. Unfortunately I wasn't able to add the hyper link so you'll need to copy and paste. It's not that hard to do.Wink

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Turamarth/100-progressive-rock-bands" rel="nofollow - http://www.sporcle.com/games/Turamarth/100-progressive-rock-bands

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 12:50
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

0 / 100 damn

LOL Same here.

Being that you have reviewed well over 3,000 albums on here I'd say you would clean up pretty good with this quiz probably beating most(if not all) of us. ;)

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 13:33

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

0 / 100 damn

LOL Same here.

Being that you have reviewed well over 3,000 albums on here I'd say you would clean up pretty good with this quiz probably beating most(if not all) of us. ;)

I accept your challenge but I think that this could be humbling.Stern Smile  I be back.

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 13:33
60/100. Not too bad Smile.

-------------

Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 13:34
49/100 Ermm

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 13:45
52 /100
as some one said too many Italian bands.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 13:50
NOT ENOUGH ITALIAN BANDS. Stern Smile

More seriously, I would like how the creator of this quizz has had the idea to include Culpeper's Orchard or Catapilla.
I mean, who the hell on this site ever heard about them?!

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 14:29
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

I got 62% It prolly woulda been higher if a) I recognized all the non-English titles; might know the music but the titles didn't ring a bell. b) it accepted 'Il Balleto di Bronzo' as an answer; was about 99% sure that was the correct answer but it was not accepted.

I got 49 right but would have done better if spelling didn't count.Big smile I knew about 4 more but couldn't get them spelled right, plus the timer had an affect as I couldn't dwell on one too long even if I recognized some songs but the band didn't come to mind right away. I guess that's the whole point though having some pressure to get it done on time. I missed most Italian ones except for Il Balletto Di Bronzo, PFM and Banco.

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 14:43
It took me a few seconds to understand they are songs titles, I quit immediately. Damn I suck at songs titles...

Posted By: TheH
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 16:47
63% my main problem was the time restraint.

It takes me Ages to type stuff like RACCOMANDATA CON RICEVUTA DI RITORNO
without a typo.

I think I would have had about all but 6 or 7 with some more time.
(The italian ones where the easy ones for me)

Posted By: TheH
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 16:53
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

It's Balletto di Bronzo (you missed one "t")

Posted By: Turamarth
Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 18:59
Hi! I'm that guy who created the quiz, I'm glad to see that you liked it!

I'll try to answer to some of your doubts:
@Prog_Traveller, I chose to limit it to the "classic era" simply because I wanted to. Smile Also I'm not extremely knowledgeable about more recent prog and even with help from this and other sites (which of course I used a lot to create the quiz anyway) I surely would have missed something important. And lastly, for more recent artits it's also much more difficult to decide if they "truly" belong to progressive rock or not, take for instance progressive metal, or post-rock.

Anyway, I'm sure that you know better than me that the distinction between what is prog and what is not has never been completely clear, so I thought it was fair to include some bands that may not be prog rock in the strictest sense (e.g. Golden Earring, Wishbone Ash, Uriah Heep and others), but are definitely "prog-related", as you say here.

The "obscure" inclusion were forced by the number, but if you feel that I should take out some and you can suggest some good alternatives, I'll be happy to do some improvements.

Also, I've added a couple more minutes since some of you said time was not enough.

@CPicard, I might be wrong, but it seems to me that Catapilla has more than enough recognition (on this site and everywhere else) to make this list. About Culpeper, well, you're right, but as I said I was forced to include some VERY obscure bands to make the number, and having one from Denmark instead of the nth from UK looked better to me. Big smile Still, they are a good band and very well-rated on rateyourmusic, too.

@TheH, some short forms are accepted when possible, and I've just added some more. Typing just Raccomandata should be enough. Smile

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 19:16
Originally posted by Turamarth Turamarth wrote:

@Prog_Traveller, I chose to limit it to the "classic era" simply because I wanted to. Smile Also I'm not extremely knowledgeable about more recent prog and even with help from this and other sites (which of course I used a lot to create the quiz anyway) I surely would have missed something important. And lastly, for more recent artits it's also much more difficult to decide if they "truly" belong to progressive rock or not, take for instance progressive metal, or post-rock.

Anyway, I'm sure that you know better than me that the distinction between what is prog and what is not has never been completely clear, so I thought it was fair to include some bands that may not be prog rock in the strictest sense (e.g. Golden Earring, Wishbone Ash, Uriah Heep and others), but are definitely "prog-related", as you say here.

The "obscure" inclusion were forced by the number, but if you feel that I should take out some and you can suggest some good alternatives, I'll be happy to do some improvements.

Also, I've added a couple more minutes since some of you said time was not enough.

@CPicard, I might be wrong, but it seems to me that Catapilla has more than enough recognition (on this site and everywhere else) to make this list. About Culpeper, well, you're right, but as I said I was forced to include some VERY obscure bands to make the number, and having one from Denmark instead of the nth from UK looked better to me. Big smile Still, they are a good band and very well-rated on rateyourmusic, too.

@TheH, some short forms are accepted when possible, and I've just added some more. Typing just Raccomandata should be enough. Smile

I'm glad that prog-traveller talked me into taking your quiz(it didn't take muchLOL) but it was pretty cool. Funny but I guessed Catapilla on one of the questions but it was the wrong one. Culpeper I wouldn't have got but it was fun to do this. Oh and I was glad the short form for ELP and PFM worked. I actually spelled Van Der Graaf Generator right so I didn't try the short form there.

-------------

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Date Posted: August 31 2014 at 20:46

Welcome to the site and thanks for your input. Of course you are entitled to make it just "old school prog." As long as you aren't one of these people who still thinks prog died in 1978( and has at least heard of Spock's Beard, IQ, Flower Kings, Glass Hammer etc for starters). Do those people even still exist? Wink  I'm just so used to the onslaught of newer prog that it just seemed a bit unusual(in a good way)to me to see something devoted to just vintage prog. Ten to fifteen years ago it would have been more common( Supernatural Fairy tales box set for example). Personally I like both old and new. Thanks for creating such a hardcore progfan kind of quiz. 

Posted By: paulindigo
Date Posted: September 01 2014 at 10:42
I got 91/100... But I should add that I'm Italian...

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: September 01 2014 at 12:28
Boo-hoo, you're cheating.

Date Posted: September 01 2014 at 13:25
Originally posted by paulindigo paulindigo wrote:

I got 91/100... But I should add that I'm Italian...

I'm not saying that doesn't play a role in your high score but to be honest I think being a hardcore prog fan has more to do with it. From what I understand most Italian prog bands were not that popular or well known even in Italy.

Posted By: terramystic
Date Posted: September 01 2014 at 16:05
54 Smile
Interesting collection of prog classics. Refreshed my memory.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: September 01 2014 at 19:36

<div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">Hi! I'm that guy who created the quiz, I'm glad to see that you liked it!<div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;"><div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">I'll try to answer to some of your doubts:<div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">@Prog_Traveller, I chose to limit it to the "classic era" simply because I wanted to. Smile Also I'm not extremely knowledgeable about more recent prog and even with help from this and other sites (which of course I used a lot to create the quiz anyway) I surely would have missed something important. And lastly, for more recent artits it's also much more difficult to decide if they "truly" belong to progressive rock or not, take for instance progressive metal, or post-rock.<div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;"><div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">Anyway, I'm sure that you know better than me that the distinction between what is prog and what is not has never been completely clear, so I thought it was fair to include some bands that may not be prog rock in the strictest sense (e.g. Golden Earring, Wishbone Ash, Uriah Heep and others), but are definitely "prog-related", as you say here.<div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;"><div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">The "obscure" inclusion were forced by the number, but if you feel that I should take out some and you can suggest some good alternatives, I'll be happy to do some improvements.<div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;"><div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">Also, I've added a couple more minutes since some of you said time was not enough.<div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;"><div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">@CPicard, I might be wrong, but it seems to me that Catapilla has more than enough recognition (on this site and everywhere else) to make this list. About Culpeper, well, you're right, but as I said I was forced to include some VERY obscure bands to make the number, and having one from Denmark instead of the nth from UK looked better to me. Big smile Still, they are a good band and very well-rated on rateyourmusic, too.<div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;"><div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">@TheH, some short forms are accepted when possible, and I've just added some more. Typing just Raccomandata should be enough. Smile

Hi, Turamarth. I thought it an interesting and good quiz. The continental tradition is less well know on the U.S. west coast than in the east, which is what threw me.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: paulindigo
Date Posted: September 02 2014 at 02:31
Of course you're right, I was just joking.
Bands like Biglietto per l'inferno, Raccomandata con ricevuta di ritorno and even Balletto di bronzo must have sold many more records in the last two decades thanks to CD reissues than they did in the 70s

Posted By: gents
Date Posted: September 02 2014 at 06:44
45/100
didn't know italian bands also
t2 and catapilla are not that obscure.....specially if you are on this place

Posted By: AreYouHuman
Date Posted: September 03 2014 at 23:12
Like ProgTraveler, I got 61 out of 100 (wouldn’t it be a riot if we got all the same ones). I too was stumped by most of the RPI bands, though I should have caught Osanna, not to mention Wishbone Ash, Eloy and Cressida.

It seems like a bit of an unfair advantage with some of them, time-wise; it takes far less time and effort to key in Yes or Rush than a few of those Italian band names. I’m a decent speller but my main problem is fat-finger mistakes.

-------------
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!

Date Posted: September 04 2014 at 00:18
Well we didn't get the same bands then because I did get Eloy and Wishbone Ash. I think I got Osanna but did not get Cressida(nor did I get Catapilla or T2).

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: September 09 2014 at 10:20
44, sometimes I just couldn't come up with the bandname.. I saw the sleeve in my mind

Posted By: King Crimson776
Date Posted: September 11 2014 at 02:18
66/100, and that was pretty killer. I guessed several right based on what vibe the song titles gave me. That was pretty fun.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk