Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99757
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 18:45
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Digipak vs jewel case
Posted By: Kati
Subject: Digipak vs jewel case
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:08
I am a bit confused and not sure if it was only by coincidence that most people who I have discussed this topic with seem to prefer jewel cases more compared to digipak. Among uncommon belief digipak's to produce are actually much more expensive due to the artwork and customization involved in printing, a jewel case the booklet is the cover that's it and the plastic cases are universal etc, besides providing a back cover, that's it. Meanwhile a digipack is customized, one could compare it with vinyl/LP gatefold, besides the booklet and cd disk it has 4 additional printing areas/sides to add artwork.
My fellow members, which do you prefer and why? hugs xxx

Replies:
Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:21
I've always enjoyed the classic jewel case, but if given the choice between the two, I'd take digipak! Smile

-------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:24
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

I've always enjoyed the classic jewel case, but if given the choice between the two, I'd take digipak! Smile

ditto!

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:34
Well strictly to look at the digipacks are much nicer. Having to live with them in your collection is another thing entirely. I rather prefer the jewel casings, because they offer up protection and stack up nicely against each other. Digipacks have a tendency to break and they are impossible to store without messing up the corners + plus without the help of the albums one got in jewel casings, they wouldn't be able to stand on the shelf properly.
Like I said, the digipacks are surely the best piece of eye candy, but if that's your thing then why not opt for the vinyl optionBig smile

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:35
Jewelcase for me, Sonia! Some digipacks look pretty nice, but if it arrives and the pegs are broken (and this has happened many times!), you can't replace them!

If a jewelcase breaks, pretty easy to buy replacements cheaply and quickly! I also think they look more....substantial on the shelf with a bunch of them together!

Have to say, I'm really coming around to the newer Mini LP's now! Heaps of the Italian releases look really lovely on that format.

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:36
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

ditto!

High-fives and hugs all around! Thumbs Up

So many digipaks on my shelf right below my desk LOL.

-------------

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:44
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Like I said, the digipacks are surely the best piece of eye candy, but if that's your thing then why not opt for the vinyl optionBig smile

hahahaha!!! love that last comment Good question that is, vinyl is huge although I too love them, however vinyl good quality is around or less than 15 min per side some albums are bigger than this also an original cd is more useful to use or copy for multiple use to listen in the car, big home speakers, pc etc :) hahaha but yes dang in terms of artwork vinyl is gnack gnack gnack

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:47
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Jewelcase for me, Sonia! Some digipacks look pretty nice, but if it arrives and the pegs are broken (and this has happened many times!), you can't replace them!

If a jewelcase breaks, pretty easy to buy replacements cheaply and quickly! I also think they look more....substantial on the shelf with a bunch of them together!

Have to say, I'm really coming around to the newer Mini LP's -now! Heaps of the Italian releases look really lovely on that format.

Hi Aussie-Bird Brother :) I have had the opposite experience in terms of damage, sometimes I get cracked/damaged cd jewel case covers delivered by mail, never had this problem with digipaks :) hugs xxxx

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:54

hahahaha!!! love that last comment Good question that is, vinyl is huge although I too love them, however vinyl good quality is around or less than 15 min per side some albums are bigger than this also an original cd is more useful to use or copy for multiple use to listen in the car, big home speakers, pc etc :) hahaha but yes dang in terms of artwork vinyl is gnack gnack gnack

I've been thinking about buying a new turntable actually - mostly because I miss not being able to digitalize my vinyls. For that I have to go see my friend who lives at the other end of the country. Cds are of course great in that respect........BUT and that's a big derrière, once you've sat with this cover art in full LP size
it's hard going back to the teeny tiny cd

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:55
I really, REALLY want a turntable Big smile.

-------------

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:56

Have to say, I'm really coming around to the newer Mini LP's -now! Heaps of the Italian releases look really lovely on that format.

Hi Aussie-Bird Brother :) I have had the opposite experience in terms of damage, sometimes I get cracked/damaged cd jewel case covers delivered by mail, never had this problem with digipaks :) hugs xxxx

Oh yes, that has ALSO happened to me plenty of times!

Sometimes you can get suppliers to send the CD's without any jewelcases, and you just add them to your own empty ones at home! That's a nice way to save on shipping costs, if you can spare cases lying around. I seem to have stacks of them!

Many years ago, I ordered the limited edition 2 CD digibook of the Flower Kings `Unfold the Future', and was shocked to open the package to find that Customs had stuck a knife into it to open it for their random checks. That knife went straight through the back of the digibook case, cutting into the physical CD, ruining it! They then taped the package up again and slapped a big sticker on the front that said `Customs cannot be responsible for damage to items during inspections' etc!

I guess damaged digipacks and jewelcases aren't so bad after all! Minor complaints!

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:59
Arhh that's just meanOuch 
I bet that sticker has saved a lot of air inspector arse...

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:04

Oh yes, that has ALSO happened to me plenty of times!

Sometimes you can get suppliers to send the CD's without any jewelcases, and you just add them to your own empty ones at home! That's a nice way to save on shipping costs, if you can spare cases lying around. I seem to have stacks of them!

Many years ago, I ordered the limited edition 2 CD digibook of the Flower Kings `Unfold the Future', and was shocked to open the package to find that Customs had stuck a knife into it to open it for their random checks. That knife went straight through the back of the digibook case, cutting into the physical CD, ruining it! They then taped the package up again and slapped a big sticker on the front that said `Customs cannot be responsible for damage to items during inspections' etc!

I guess damaged digipacks and jewelcases aren't so bad after all! Minor complaints!

Yes, yes, and YES to getting damaged discs in the mail/sacrificing integrity upon opening LOL.

-------------

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:04

Amen, brutha!

Also, he could have just been someone that REALLY hated retro styled prog!

"You call that progressive?!' - SLICE!

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:06
Digipak are nice when they're new. I'm looking at my Pink Floyd 2011 remasters and they are not in great condition now Ermm

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:08
Digipacks, easily. I've never had problems of durability with them, and you can get more on the shelves, plus they look better. The number of times I've had jewel cases turn up just plane broken.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:09

Amen, brutha!

LOL
Could've been Walter with all his 'post 89 music is rubbish'.
Anyway if you have to slice any prog album, then it's probably fair it winds up being the Flower Kings *yikes*WinkTongue

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:17

Amen, brutha!

LOL
Anyway if you have to slice any prog album, then it's probably fair it winds up being the Flower Kings *yikes*WinkTongue

Dave, your `anti-Flower Kings/pro slicing' agenda has been quite clear for some time!

Actually, I'll take your Flower Kings and raise you an Edison's Children!

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:21
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Digipak are nice when they're new. I'm looking at my Pink Floyd 2011 remasters and they are not in great condition now Ermm

Both my Animals cd and The Wall dvd are digipacks and to date they look brand new, Meltdowner :) hugsxxx

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:24
I love the Flower Kings, the very first album, the flower king is my favorite :) xxx Also I love Pain of Salvation, Undertow and Ending Themes among others are my fav tracks, I love Kaipa too and Beardfish plus like Gungfly ermmm I think I am fond of Swedish/Svenska band

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:27
In all fairness Sonia: you're a girl. 
We, the opposite sex, are prone to demolish everything we come in contact with - even the stuff we love and try our best to safeguard.
Everything from my shoes to my shirts to music and bicycles, furniture, the actual room I reside in - everything looked and still looks, much much worse and beat down than my sister's version of the same.
I have never seen anything substantial to contradict this thesis.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:27

The longer "they" talk about jewel cases, the more I want a turntable, too .. even though I already have 3 of them :) Turntables are theraupeutic. 

Posted By: Luna
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:29
While digipacks look better, jewel cases tessellate better and are easier to maintain as David said

-------------
https://aprilmaymarch.bandcamp.com/track/the-badger" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:32

Nevermind the topic of this forum, Guldbamsen that profile pic of yours looks so funny and that guy looks like Heston Blumenthal, an UK Chef :)is that him? hugs xxx

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:35

We, the opposite sex, are prone to demolish everything we come in contact with - even the stuff we love and try our best to safeguard.
Everything from my shoes to my shirts to music and bicycles, furniture, the actual room I reside in - everything looked and still looks, much much worse and beat down than my sister's version of the same.

Count me as a girly-man, then, Dave!
If I've bought them brand new, all my digipacks are more or less in the same condition as Sonias - pristine! I get annoyed when I find them in less than perfect nick, they suddenly feel less to me! It's probably an OCD thing!

I've got some second hand Hawkwind ones that are in dreadful condition that I can't even bear to look at, I feel like Homer casting out his half-built robot!

Oh, and I rock a mean pair of cowboy boots most days now that I will throw THE girliest hissyfit when they end up even slightly scuffed!

hahahahaha!!!!!! sorry but hahahaha!!!! can't think of a reply right now while laughing hahaha!!!! hugs xxx hahaha still laughing here. Guldbamsen

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

The longer "they" talk about jewel cases, the more I want a turntable, too .. even though I already have 3 of them :) Turntables are theraupeutic. 

Yes indeed. I used to have an older model (was my parents', thing was a gem of a player), but have since been out of luck. I'd like to get something decently affordable without sacrificing quality too much. After all, that's kind of the point with vinyl, is it not? Wink

All of this talk about jewel cases/digipaks has me wanting to review my collection LOL.

-------------

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:38

Amen, brutha!

LOL

Dave, your `anti-Flower Kings/pro slicing' agenda has been quite clear for some time!

Oh stop it you evil man! You're drowning me in lotion and old men with butter crushes.

I was actually visiting an old friend of mine, who I found out had turned into quite the Flower Kings fan. We obviously started busting caps in our respective arses, when we found out - bang bang and all that jazz!!!! 
Nahh we tend to focus on the stuff we have in common instead (while viciously attacking each other's poor tastes in music. He tends to swing for my love of Krautrock - a type of music he loathes about as much as I do the Flower Kings)

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:43

Nevermind the topic of this forum, Guldbamsen that profile pic of yours looks so funny and that guy looks like Heston Blumenthal, an UK Chef :)is that him? hugs xxx

My turn: LOLLOLLOL

Heston Blumenthal!?!?!!!? LOL 
Nah it's me attending a barbecue with some student friends of mine. Our 'team' had the colour purple and needed to decorate every team member with this fabulous colour. I had a female friend do a top for me - something she thought up all by herself. She promised she'd make me a costume - I promised to wear it (regardless of the outcome).

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:50

Amen, brutha!

LOL

Oh stop it you evil man! You're drowning me in lotion and old men with butter crushes.
I was actually visiting an old friend of mine, who I found out had turned into quite the Flower Kings fan. We obviously started busting caps in our respective arses, when we found out - bang bang and all that jazz!!!! 
Nahh we tend to focus on the stuff we have in common instead (while viciously attacking each other's poor tastes in music. He tends to swing for my love of Krautrock - a type of music he loathes about as much as I do the Flower Kings)

Cooee!! Guldbamsen hahaha!! Krautrock I seem to be at the other end really, it's more punk prog with weird noises to me
Anyway speaking of Vinyl, here you go, you see this is a more or less recent album I bought a completely useless vinyl album which I cannot listen anywhere really, as much as I want to collect them they are not practical realy

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:53

Nah it's me attending a barbecue with some student friends of mine. Our 'team' had the colour purple and needed to decorate every team member with this fabulous colour. I had a female friend do a top for me - something she thought up all by herself. She promised she'd make me a costume - I promised to wear it (regardless of the outcome).

you look very much like Blumenthal lol it's amazing!!! ha! hugs xxx you are a good sport yay! No matter how ridiculous you look, I love that!

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:54

If I've bought them brand new, all my digipacks are more or less in the same condition as Sonias - pristine! I get annoyed when I find them in less than perfect nick, they suddenly feel less to me! It's probably an OCD thing!

I've got some second hand Hawkwind ones that are in dreadful condition that I can't even bear to look at, I feel like Homer casting out his half-built robot!

Oh, and I rock a mean pair of cowboy boots most days now that I will throw THE girliest hissyfit when they end up even slightly scuffed!

Don't get me wrong. I try my very best not to f*ck up my stuff - especially the stuff that really means something to me. I don't go out of my way to be destructive (unless I'm attending a metal gig), it just often winds up that way. I throw a party and start doing DJ things - 'Hey you guys!! I know we've been dancing to Michael J for the last hour, but you gotta check out some Van Der Graaf Generator' - or maybe I'm at a party in the woods, and someone somewhere suddenly decides to start dancing on the bonfire and seconds later, I'm that guy and it's bye bye to the new Converse I bought earlier the same day. I have stories about every facet of my life like that. The only things I've ever been successful in protecting, are probably the kids I throw around in my work (hoho - let's wait a few years and see how many that wind up in the mad house).

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:55

hahaahaha!!! hugs xxxx

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:57
Jewel cases do not age well. Somehow the hinges and the teeth on the hub that holds the CD break off for no apparent reason. Besides, they take a lot of space without adding significant cultural value (unlike LP jackets, which often have great art on them, legible booklet/poster inserts etc). 

I keep the CDs that are in regular use in an binder, and the rest of them are stacked in CD spindles, rather unceremoniously. 

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:57

Both my Animals cd and The Wall dvd are digipacks and to date they look brand new, Meltdowner :) hugsxxx

They are difficult to store but not impossible, and I admit that my CD's are not stored in the best way but I haven't come up with a better alternative. I take much more care of my vinyls though Wink
I remembered why my Pink Floyd CD's are not in great condition: I had to bring them with me to listen on the bus when my MP3 player stopped working.

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:59
hahahaha!!! I am laughing here !!! hahaha!!! Aussi and Guldbamsen, we might as well call this the Bedlam forum lololol hahaha!!! I feel like I had a dose of laughing gas hahaha reading back makes it even worse lolol

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:02

They are difficult to store but not impossible, and I admit that my CD's are not stored in the best way but I haven't come up with a better alternative. I take much more care of my vinyls though WinkI remembered why my Pink Floyd CD's are not in great condition: I had to bring them with me to listen on the bus when my MP3 player stopped working.

Meltdower, hahaha you see!!! Oh and the remastered version of Animals is most excellent really :) usually most remastered albums lose or lack something, Animals does not this album is most brilliant really :) hugs xxxx

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:03

you look very much like Blumenthal lol it's amazing!!! ha! hugs xxx you are a good sport yay! No matter how ridiculous you look, I love that!

Maybe it's the due then? I've never been compared to HestonLOL

Anyway, do I still look like him now?

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:04

Maybe it's the due then? I've never been compared to HestonLOL
Anyway, do I still look like him now?

you cheat you changed your profile pic! ha!!!

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:07
Guldbamsen is that you too in that profile pic the new one? You are a dark horse ha! xxx If so I want to see more lololol

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:09
hahahahaha!!!! hahahaha!!!! hahaha!!!!

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:11

Guldbamsen is that you too in that profile pic the new one? You are a dark horse ha! xxx If so I want to see more lololol

Yes. I am purposely messin with yaTongue
Also with the newest one, I wanted to reflect the ease in which I mingle with people on toilets.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:16

Yes. I am purposely messin with yaTongue
Also with the newest one, I wanted to reflect the ease in which I mingle with people on toilets.

I saw that and you killed me, I lost all my strength but laughing, so funny at the perfect time as you could see by my reaction above hahahaha!! So funny I was not expecting a quick profile pic change and certainly not one like that hahahaha!!! But it's a very happy one I must add lolol so funny!

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:21
It's been fun Sonia, but maybe we ought to get back to your threadTongue

I would love it if we could get cds in vinyl size - or maybe just a normal cd and then a big shell. Either way, it should then preferably be wrapped in all kinds of plastic and thus be saved from the terrors of men and their destructive powers. Sorta like jewel casings meet vinyl. Oh yeah...then I'd be a happy bunny!

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:25

They are difficult to store but not impossible, and I admit that my CD's are not stored in the best way but I haven't come up with a better alternative. I take much more care of my vinyls though WinkI remembered why my Pink Floyd CD's are not in great condition: I had to bring them with me to listen on the bus when my MP3 player stopped working.

Meltdower, hahaha you see!!! Oh and the remastered version of Animals is most excellent really :) usually most remastered albums lose or lack something, Animals does not this album is most brilliant really :) hugs xxxx

I played so much my remastered version of Animals that I'll not listen to it again so soon LOL
I really like the remastered version of Atom Heart Mother. I think the drums and bass guitar are too loud compared to the other instruments on the original, but they corrected it on the remaster.

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:31

I would love it if we could get cds in vinyl size - or maybe just a normal cd and then a big shell. Either way, it should then preferably be wrapped in all kinds of plastic and thus be saved from the terrors of men and their destructive powers. Sorta like jewel casings meet vinyl. Oh yeah...then I'd be a happy bunny!

Like this one?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PzNqvAO3puc/S4T2PTCqxrI/AAAAAAAARDE/4eD35qNj-bQ/s1600-h/AbelCid.JPG" rel="nofollow - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PzNqvAO3puc/S4T2PTCqxrI/AAAAAAAARDE/4eD35qNj-bQ/s1600-h/AbelCid.JPG

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:31
Both packages could be improved considerably. We could also improve how we store them, especially given that the simple act of extracting either jewel case or Digipak from a CD storage rack/tower damages them (Digipak more so, but the jewel case still gets scratched). Both look dull and tired in a very short space of time - when new a mint jewel case as a nice oil-on-water rainbow type reflection completely devoid of surface scratches - that disappears in no time and frankly, isn't good enough.

Because Jewel cases can be taken to pieces they can easily be repaired, but they break too easily and in any other product that would be wholly unacceptable. We tolerate it because the industry hasn't bothered to produce a better solution. We really shouldn't have to put up with brand new CDs being delivered with broken centre-splines and busted hinges. And whoever invented the double-pack needs a firm kick up the arse.

Digipaks are not a better solution and vary considerably in quality, those that are not coated get dog-eared very quickly and those that are soon lose their "mint" appearance. They also (can't think of the right word here...) skew when stood on end such that you can't stand an old Digipak on end without it falling over. I know that isn't a major requirement of a CD package and we don't pass the time by standing CDs on edge, but it's irritating when you remove one CD from the rack and the one next to it falls over. At least the double Digipak is an improvement on the double jewel case, so we can be thankful for that I guess.

So what else have we?

The mini-LP format - is crap, the spine is unreadable when stored and they dog-ear just as badly as a Digipak and without a protective sheath/sleeve for the disc they scratch the disc surface and that's just dumb.

The book format, this is like the double Digipak but has "pockets" to slide the disc into - is also crap. Anything where you have to slide the disc surface across card surface is just stupid product design. I've even had one where the pocket has delaminated leaving the CD glued between the two sheets of card that once formed the pocket, and that's dumb.

Non-standard size/shape: This annoys me more than anything else because they don't fit in a standard CD tower and I have to make a special tall shelf for them to stand on - it doesn't take long for me to really dislike the arrogance of a package that demands its own special shelf. 

The case for the prosecution would like to present, Exhibit "A"

Analog CD cover 
Yup... that's a mild-steel plate with a scrap PCB bolted to it, there is no protection for the CD at all.

And this is how nicely it fits into my CD tower:

(yeah, there is no logic to my filing system either)

-------------
What?

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:49
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Both packages could be improved considerably. We could also improve how we store them, especially given that the simple act of extracting either jewel case or Digipak from a CD storage rack/tower damages them (Digipak more so, but the jewel case still gets scratched). Both look dull and tired in a very short space of time - when new a mint jewel case as a nice oil-on-water rainbow type reflection completely devoid of surface scratches - that disappears in no time and frankly, isn't good enough.

Because Jewel cases can be taken to pieces they can easily be repaired, but they break too easily and in any other product that would be wholly unacceptable. We tolerate it because the industry hasn't bothered to produce a better solution. We really shouldn't have to put up with brand new CDs being delivered with broken centre-splines and busted hinges. And whoever invented the double-pack needs a firm kick up the arse.

Digipaks are not a better solution and vary considerably in quality, those that are not coated get dog-eared very quickly and those that are soon lose their "mint" appearance. They also (can't think of the right word here...) skew when stood on end such that you can't stand an old Digipak on end without it falling over. I know that isn't a major requirement of a CD package and we don't pass the time by standing CDs on edge, but it's irritating when you remove one CD from the rack and the one next to it falls over. At least the double Digipak is an improvement on the double jewel case, so we can be thankful for that I guess.

So what else have we?

The mini-LP format - is crap, the spine is unreadable when stored and they dog-ear just as badly as a Digipak and without a protective sheath/sleeve for the disc they scratch the disc surface and that's just dumb.

The book format, this is like the double Digipak but has "pockets" to slide the disc into - is also crap. Anything where you have to slide the disc surface across card surface is just stupid product design. I've even had one where the pocket has delaminated leaving the CD glued between the two sheets of card that once formed the pocket, and that's dumb.

Non-standard size/shape: This annoys me more than anything else because they don't fit in a standard CD tower and I have to make a special tall shelf for them to stand on - it doesn't take long for me to really dislike the arrogance of a package that demands its own special shelf. 

The case for the prosecution would like to present, Exhibit "A"

Analog CD cover 
Yup... that's a mild-steel plate with a scrap PCB bolted to it, there is no protection for the CD at all.

And this is how nicely it fits into my CD tower:

(yeah, there is no logic to my filing system either)

My storage looks very similar, TBH. +1 for the PCB LOL.

Nothing, I repeat NOTHING, is more aggravating to me than opening a brand new jewel case and finding a broken center spline/plastic bits floating around inside. It's happened more times than I care to count, both from the store and in the mail.

-------------

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 08:26
All of my digipacks are fine, I just shove 'em on the shelf and leave 'em be. I do agree that the oversized and/or oddly shaped packaging is annoying, Tool's 10 000 Days being a particularly bad offender.

I must admit though, I do like Fen's solution for their upcoming double CD version of their new album, a wooden box. We'll see how it works out in practice.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 11:34
To be honest, I really do not care as long as I can get at the disk easily. All formats have their problems. The plastic in jewel cases is brittle and easily break. Yes, pieces can be replaced, but that is also a problem. Digipaks are too thin and the bindings are often difficult for my aging eyes to read, and I hate it when they come in the aforementioned book-form, even though vinyl is the same way. Still, they might be the better option. And isn't there something endearing about a dog-eared and well-loved volume, like an old friend of a book, on the shelf for your favorite music? As long as the music inside is well preserved.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 11:38
I find jewel cases break to easy. You should have included the third option - mini LP.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 11:43
Just noticed your filing system DeanLOL
Looks like mine.
Cool to see Can and Cradle Of Filth together. Just a casual look at my cd stack reveals Wu Tang Clan and Janis Joplin mingling with each other.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 11:48

Like this one?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PzNqvAO3puc/S4T2PTCqxrI/AAAAAAAARDE/4eD35qNj-bQ/s1600-h/AbelCid.JPG" rel="nofollow - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PzNqvAO3puc/S4T2PTCqxrI/AAAAAAAARDE/4eD35qNj-bQ/s1600-h/AbelCid.JPG

Oh yes, that's pretty cool. Anyway, if I go for something vinyl sized, I may as well go for the LPGeek
Brilliant album btw. Love Jose Cid's prog albums. If you dig that one, then you should definitely check out:

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 11:54
Crimson 30th anniversary edition (thick mini-lp) :

Standard mini-lp/Jewel case :

Digi-pak :

-------------

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 12:02
Digipak. It just looks nice when you unfold it and see more content at once. And in some cases I have to struggle to get the liner notes out of the jewel case.
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Digipacks, easily. I've never had problems of durability with them, and you can get more on the shelves, plus they look better. The number of times I've had jewel cases turn up just plane broken.
Yes, what he said.

Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 12:25

Like this one?

Oh yes, that's pretty cool. Anyway, if I go for something vinyl sized, I may as well go for the LPGeek
Brilliant album btw. Love Jose Cid's prog albums. If you dig that one, then you should definitely check out:

But this CD version is 10 times cheaper than the LP Tongue
I have these albums and I saw him play both earlier this year Smile

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 13:15
I just sold a bunch of CD's back.  It was very difficult for me to do, but CD value has dropped so much I figured I should do it now before they lose all value.   But, I'll be DAMNED if I sell my vinyl... never never never.... but now... what the hell do i do with my cassettes... ugh.... damned music industry.

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 13:44
I've found jewel cases far too easy to break. I've frayed the edges of digipaks a bit, but I've never broken one per se.

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 15:02
if there was a "both" option i would've voted for that, but idk which one i should go with. guess it'll have to be digipak for this one.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 15:12
Both are junk but they are a lot easier than storing 1/4 and 1/2 inch tapes. Whoops, I just felt 35 years older. Rats!

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 15:41
Jewel cases for sure. Better in nearly every way (aside from an artistic perspective) IMO.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 16:10

You do, you really do!

What's the budget??

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 16:15
I prefer the one with readable sleeve notes for a 60+ man who needs glasses but is too stubborn to wear them and a 12'' slab of vinyl in the middle.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: September 19 2014 at 23:50
I have so many jewel cases that broke during shipping that there is no way I can't vote digipack

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: September 20 2014 at 00:05
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Both are junk but they are a lot easier than storing 1/4 and 1/2 inch tapes. Whoops, I just felt 35 years older. Rats!

8-Tracks are pretty convenient but finding a working player for them isn't.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: September 20 2014 at 00:33
Digipak; much less likely to form cracks.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: September 20 2014 at 00:40

Man, I was just thinking this idea (normal CD, LP size package) would have been a wonderful packaging method.  Anyone up for a little time travel back to the 80s to get this accomplished?

edit: that José Cid example looks perfect!!

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: unclemeat69
Date Posted: September 20 2014 at 04:46

This exactly although I haven't really had a digipack with broken pegs, a tear in the cardboard? Yeah.

-------------
Follow your bliss

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: September 20 2014 at 11:37
^ I have yet to tear the cardboard of one and rarely got one in the mail with broken pegs. Big smile

One other needed, deluxe mini-book

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Jewel cases for sure. Better in nearly every way (aside from an artistic perspective) IMO.

You don't have any John Zorn albums from his http://www.tzadik.com/" rel="nofollow - Tzadik 

label...

The do some releases in "jewel" but some are very creatively done.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: Kentucky_Hawkwindage
Date Posted: September 20 2014 at 13:23
D.P.

-------------
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: September 23 2014 at 22:04

Digipak.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: odinalcatraz
Date Posted: September 24 2014 at 07:50
I can't think of a single reason to like jewel case. When they came along they looked like a cheap plastic thing. A few weeks later they would become a bit hazy looking and/or cracked and getting the booklet out with no fingernails was almost impossible with damaging it. As the decades have passed, I have noticed that nothing has changed, except they seem to crack even easier than before.
I also have found that a jewel case is, in fact, as I suspected, a cheap plastic thing!

-------------
http://www.corvusstone.com

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: September 25 2014 at 00:44
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

^ I have yet to tear the cardboard of one and rarely got one in the mail with broken pegs. Big smileOne other needed, deluxe mini-book
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

You don't have any John Zorn albums from his http://www.tzadik.com/" rel="nofollow - Tzadik 

label...

The do some releases in "jewel" but some are very creatively done.

I sadly have plenty. Nice to look at but horrendously impractical.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: September 25 2014 at 02:23

I find jewel cases break to easy. You should have included the third option - mini LP.

Hello Slartibartfast I do not own any mini LP. How much is the music length on one of those?
My question to be fair was more based around the compact disc carrier/holder, but this is a very interesting topic to me too hugs

Date Posted: September 25 2014 at 04:10

Hello Slartibartfast I do not own any mini LP. How much is the music length on one of those?
My question to be fair was more based around the compact disc carrier/holder, but this is a very interesting topic to me too hugs
The mini LP is a CD in a card slip-case that is a miniature replica of a full-size LP cover.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: September 25 2014 at 04:28

The mini LP is a CD in a card slip-case that is a miniature replica of a full-size LP cover.

ha Dean thus it's those cd's which come when one buys an LP, in those horrid transparent plastic envelope kind of things? If so that's a knockoff to the name lolol

Date Posted: September 25 2014 at 04:41

ha Dean thus it's those cd's which come when one buys an LP, in those horrid transparent plastic envelope kind of things? If so that's a knockoff to the name lolol
Oh no, they're much better than that. They are perfect replicas of the full size album but in miniature and are very collectable.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: September 25 2014 at 04:46

Oh no, they're much better than that. They are perfect replicas of the full size album but in miniature and are very collectable.
ha! (nincompoop happy stunned face here) I want to see and hold this too, I have none arhhhh never seen any bah hugs xxxx

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: September 25 2014 at 05:21
None is good and it's indeed surprising that after so many years no-one has come with a better design for something so ubiquitous.

If pressed I prefer jewel cases, the disc does not touch any surface and that's for me the most important feature. And all the printed material is protected. Indeed they break by just looking at them and removing and placing back a thick booklet can be a pain. And if you keep some with the center spline broken there's a significant risk that the disc will fall to the ground next time you open the case. But in any case they are easy to replace when they break (you just have to pay attention if the original case had the disc holder transparent with the back cover printed on the inner side, not replace it by a case with black disc holder or you loose the sight of the inner print. Although transparent holder splines seem to break easier than black plastic ones).

Standard size and "opening mechanism" is also an advantage. My storage shelves at home are high enough so it's no problem but for example in the car, different sizes can be a problem, and the CDs are handled and stored less carefully so digipacks can more easily get damaged in the car, and if you want to change the CD while driving, having to deal with different methods to remove the disc from the pack can be annoying.

Although we should note that there are digipacks in which the disc holder is also a plastic piece with a center spline glued to the cardboard, so in these the disc does not touch any surface either so they are better in this respect that those in which the disc surface rests touching paper.

Date Posted: September 25 2014 at 05:42
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

None is good and it's indeed surprising that after so many years no-one has come with a better design for something so ubiquitous.
If pressed I prefer jewel cases, the disc does not touch any surface and that's for me the most important feature. And all the printed material is protected. Indeed they break by just looking at them and removing and placing back a thick booklet can be a pain. And if you keep some with the center spline broken there's a significant risk that the disc will fall to the ground next time you open the case. But in any case they are easy to replace when they break (you just have to pay attention if the original case had the disc holder transparent with the back cover printed on the inner side, not replace it by a case with black disc holder or you loose the sight of the inner print. Although transparent holder splines seem to break easier than black plastic ones).
Standard size and "opening mechanism" is also an advantage. My storage shelves at home are high enough so it's no problem but for example in the car, different sizes can be a problem, and the CDs are handled and stored less carefully so digipacks can more easily get damaged in the car, and if you want to change the CD while driving, having to deal with different methods to remove the disc from the pack can be annoying.
Although we should note that there are digipacks in which the disc holder is also a plastic piece with a center spline glued to the cardboard, so in these the disc does not touch any surface either so they are better in this respect that those in which the disc surface rests touching paper.

Gerinski, I am still reading your comment above thus I am not finished reading, however I must say that cd discs on a digipack do not come into any contact or touch other surfaces, the cd disc holder part is also made of plastic   

Date Posted: September 25 2014 at 06:04

Gerinski, I am still reading your comment above thus I am not finished reading, however I must say that cd discs on a digipack do not come into any contact or touch other surfaces, the cd disc holder part is also made of plastic   
Well by now you will have read the final sentence Tongue  Yes I believe most are actually like that (and the plastic disc holder is usually less brittle so the center spline is more durable), I will have to search but I believe that I have some where the disc is just slide into a pocket, all cardboard, no plastic holder. This is the "book format" mentioned by Dean in page 3.

Date Posted: September 25 2014 at 06:15
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Well by now you will have read the final sentence Tongue  Yes I believe most are actually like that (and the plastic disc holder is usually less brittle so the center spline is more durable), I will have to search but I believe that I have some where the disc is just slide into a pocket, all cardboard, no plastic holder. This is the "book format" mentioned by Dean in page 3.

The Pink Floyd 2011 remasters are like that. I have some with a paper sleeve to protect the disc. I once bought a box-formed digipak where the disc was thrown inside of it and the disc was already damaged when I bought it Confused

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: September 25 2014 at 06:57
The ones that don't get their sides tattered all the time. 

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Date Posted: September 25 2014 at 07:20
Could we say that whoever comes with a significantly improved CD case design might make a fortune? If so I might put my little brain to work on the subject Tongue

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk