Rush vs KC: World's biggest cult band.

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99901
Printed Date: April 30 2024 at 15:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rush vs KC: World's biggest cult band.
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: Rush vs KC: World's biggest cult band.
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 15:04
Who is really the world's biggest cult band: Rush or KC?

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Replies:
Posted By: Xonty
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 15:11
Rush are bigger, but King Crimson is more of a cult Confused Went for Rush anyways

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 15:16
King Crimson

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 15:25
KC, no doubt. 

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 15:28
Rush is big, neither is cult.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 15:30
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Rush are bigger, but King Crimson is more of a cult Confused

My thought exactly. With such ambiguity in the question, I can only answer with an equally ambiguous "both."   

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 15:37
As much as I'm a big Rush fan my vote goes to Crimson for being much more diverse, unique and innovative.

Posted By: pianoman
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 15:49
Gonna go with King Crimson on this one, but damn, Cult of Luna is a great band.

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 15:50
Southern Death

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 15:52
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Rush are bigger, but King Crimson is more of a cult Confused

My thought exactly. With such ambiguity in the question, I can only answer with an equally ambiguous "both."   
Because Rush refers to themselves as 'the world's biggest cult band'. Get it?

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 15:55
KC

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 15:55
King Crimson.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 16:10
KC...

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 16:11
Oh, that's too precious, er, clever. Precious? Clever?

Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 16:16
^Are you having a bad day or just a bad year?

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 16:37
One of the few polls in which I vote KC instead of Rush.

-------------

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 16:42
I'll never vote for Rush Embarrassed

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 16:44
As much as Rush sell out large indoor venues, 12-15,000+ all over North America....You still hear about droves of people that have no clue about their popularity among prog/classic/hard rock people.

I still struggle calling them a cult band, they are close....I think all bands like Rush and KC have a cult following. KC has probably a more consistent older cult crowd than Rush.
Rush are attracting the younger audience.....

I suppose either works for me.

-------------

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 17:25
I have no love for King Crimson at all, but I really like Rush.

I'm not sure that really answers the question, though.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 18:19
Cult of Luna.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 18:24
Rush.... though KC is right up there, just overall unrecognizable to the public eye. *grunts*

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 18:35
King Crimson!!

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: La nouvelle terre
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 18:58
The cult is for the king !

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 22:27
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

KC, no doubt. 

This---plus you can be cool if you like KC---guaranteedCool---with Rush there is no guarantee.LOL

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 03:21
The Crims

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 07:14
In terms of record sales Rush probably.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 08:49
Hmmm. People are voting for favourites here. This really isn't one of those questions, this is perfectly quantifiable. If we accept all those as cult bands, then Rush just trounces the competition - they sell more records, fill more concert halls, have the widest audience. Of course, once you achieve those numbers, you gotta ask: is Rush really a cult band anymore?

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 08:55
^They say so.Wink

-------------

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 10:38
KC.

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 10:54
KC has 6 current members.  Rush has 3.  So in that measurement KC.  In other measurements, Rush easily trounces KC.  

-------------

Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 11:50
What?! Number of members is a "measurement"?! With this "measurement!!" you can rate to a album without listen to that album. Easily you "Count" their members and rate them!!! 

Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 11:52
His question was which band was biggest.  The only way in the world that KC is bigger than Rush is in number of members.

-------------

Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 11:57

On your feet

or

On your knees

for the ....

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 15:39
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Are you having a bad day or just a bad year?

Goodyear ("More Driven")

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 19:21
Grateful Dead. 

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 21:13
Computing in my head:

Define: big.
Define: cult band.

Big (let alone "biggest") + cult band = oxymoron?

I never really saw Rush as a cult band. And I've never heard a note from The Cult of Cult of Luna. Ergo, no vote.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 22:56
It is a strange poll question but I went with KC......though BOC definitely has a cult following and personally I have always liked them.
Rush isn't really a  cult band imho.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 22:57
I don't think it matters much if you haven't heard "The Cult" or "Cult of Luna". As far as I understad it (though I may be wrong), the OP intended the real competition to be among Rush and KC, and added the other two just because they had the word "Cult" in their names (thus, making them "Cult" bands, just as a joke or something of the sort). The name of the thread is a good indication towards this impression I got.

Date Posted: October 05 2014 at 00:23
^ Well, in any case, ... a big cult band? Rush?

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 05 2014 at 02:14
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Hmmm. People are voting for favourites here. This really isn't one of those questions, this is perfectly quantifiable. If we accept all those as cult bands, then Rush just trounces the competition - they sell more records, fill more concert halls, have the widest audience. Of course, once you achieve those numbers, you gotta ask: is Rush really a cult band anymore?

I think they are because so few people have heard of them. Stop someone in the street and ask them if they have heard of Rush and I'm confident most would say no. Despite that they can fill up the O2 arena in London, or Maple Leaf Gardens or MSG.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: October 05 2014 at 10:52
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

His question was which band was biggest.  The only way in the world that KC is bigger than Rush is in number of members.
Disagree. 

Date Posted: October 05 2014 at 11:14
^ Can you explain why you disagree?

Date Posted: October 05 2014 at 11:42
There are more letters

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: October 05 2014 at 13:36
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Don't be such a nudnik Tongue

In a good faith attempt to strike a compromise between the two camps: 

Rush is like Honda. Every couple of years - very predictably - they roll out a new product that is guaranteed to sell well, not to look weird, garner positive reviews and attain a good resale value.

KC is is a little bit like Sir Richard Branson or Elon Musk. Try as you might, you just have no way of predicting what they may come up with next, and whether it's going to be a dream come true, or an illusion, gone from sizzle to fizzle.

Now, is it more cult-like behavior to be buying a new Accord every 6-7 years, or to be saving up for a "forthcoming" mass-market Tesla that may never come?  

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: October 06 2014 at 02:05
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

KC, no doubt. 

This---plus you can be cool if you like KC---guaranteedCool---with Rush there is no guarantee.LOL

Who gives a flying hoot about whether or not something is considered "cool". You can be "cool" as much as you want. It still doesn't matter. BTW, Rush has always been better than KC in my opinion. Prozack Blues LOL.

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Date Posted: October 06 2014 at 08:57
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

KC, no doubt. 

Who gives a flying hoot about whether or not something is considered "cool". You can be "cool" as much as you want. It still doesn't matter. BTW, Rush has always been better than KC in my opinion. Prozack Blues LOL.

In my understanding and definition a "cult" band is a group that a group of cool people love and think they and the band are cool---it's usually a group that does not have overwhelming popular appeal.Wink

Date Posted: October 06 2014 at 09:30

<div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">

[QUOTE=hellogoodbye]KC, no doubt. 
Who gives a flying hoot about whether or not something is considered "cool". You can be "cool" as much as you want. It still doesn't matter. BTW, Rush has always been better than KC in my opinion. Prozack Blues LOL.
In my understanding and definition a "cult" band is a group that a group of cool people love and think they and the band are cool---it's usually a group that does not have overwhelming popular appeal.Wink

In nearly selling out two nights for the Los Angeles stop of their current tour, Crimso' can definitely not be considered a cult band. They are not Mel Torme!

Date Posted: October 06 2014 at 09:42
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

There are more letters
That's true.  I'll give KC that over Rush too.

-------------

Date Posted: October 06 2014 at 10:21
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I think KC is greater band. I like Rush but KC is a different band in "Progressive Music" history (IMO). I dont care about number of members I zoom to quality,Technic,Composing,and other musical elements. And never forget "Over Dubbing" in studio albums!!!

Date Posted: October 06 2014 at 10:26
OH please wait a minute! Perhaps I don't get correct and this make a Misunderstanding. I think I mistake about "Big" word!! Embarrassed

Date Posted: October 06 2014 at 16:08
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

<div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">

In nearly selling out two nights for the Los Angeles stop of their current tour, Crimso' can definitely not be considered a cult band. They are not Mel Torme!

I think they can by selling out 2 nights in LA if it was a moderately sized venue---Rush can't as they sold out like 2  or 3 nights at Madison Sq Garden!!

Date Posted: October 07 2014 at 10:29

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

In my understanding and definition a "cult" band is a group that a group of cool people love and think they and the band are cool---it's usually a group that does not have overwhelming popular appeal.alt="Wink" title="Wink">

I think they can by selling out 2 nights in LA if it was a moderately sized venue---Rush can't as they sold out like 2  or 3 nights at Madison Sq Garden!!

The significant point to be made, professor, is that while around a little under 2,000 fans each night hung on in awe to every note played at last week's two-night King Crimson stint at Los Angeles' Orpheum Theater, throngs of Rush fans at the Garden's last go-round (an easy 20,000 seater) were probably crowding the snack bars or milling around in the outer halls while the band played some of their ample backlog of so-so music produced after Grace Under Pressure and earlier. Don't get me wrong-I'm sure they ran back in for the likes of Tom Sawyer and the rest of that ilk.

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 18:24
I'll vote for King Crimson simply because they're a cult band, while Rush who has sold more than 40 million is a mainstream band.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: Bitterblogger
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 03:07
Rush ceased being a cult band certainly with the popularity of "The Spirit of Radio" hit.

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 08:56
King Crimson!

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 09:13
After rereading the posts and thinkin' on it I'm not sure I'd consider either band to be a 'cult band'.
How does one define that?  A smaller number of sales, smaller but devoted fan base, an unusual charismatic band leader, fans who worship them with occult/esoteric rituals...? 
Confused

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 09:49
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

After rereading the posts and thinkin' on it I'm not sure I'd consider either band to be a 'cult band'.
How does one define that?  A smaller number of sales, smaller but devoted fan base, an unusual charismatic band leader, fans who worship them with occult/esoteric rituals...? 
Confused

It's all in jest, Doc. Geddy Lee has often stated that Rush were "the world's biggest cult band" (most recently in the great Rush Doc 'Beyond the lighted stage', so I just put his band up against KC for fun. Just to be clear, neither is a real cult band to me. Smile

-------------

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: March 31 2018 at 00:19
Originally posted by proggman proggman wrote:

I'll vote for King Crimson simply because they're a cult band, while Rush who has sold more than 40 million is a mainstream band.

Mainstream? LOL

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: March 31 2018 at 01:47
I actually think neither Rush nor King Crimson are cult bands. The Grateful Dead, Magma, Hawkwind, Gong or Guru Guru - those are cult bands.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 31 2018 at 02:07
KC.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: March 31 2018 at 02:21
Cult bands are like religious cults - once you get to big you're not a cult anymore. If Rush is a cult band then the biggest cult band might as well be Iron Maiden...or Radiohead. But none of them qualifies to me and neither does King Crimson. A KC-fan won't usually love everything KC-related and be completely obsessive about all that is KC-related (most fans stop caring either mid-70's or early 80's - some mid-nineties). They have very little that is cultish about them really. 

I especially agree with BaldFriede on:
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

The Grateful Dead, Magma, Hawkwind
The Residents - now that's a cult band for you. Crazy fans still buy their sh*t and attend to their boring concerts even 35 years post their last semi relevant (or great) release. 

-------------

Date Posted: March 31 2018 at 02:43
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Cult bands are like religious cults - once you get to big you're not a cult anymore. If Rush is a cult band then the biggest cult band might as well be Iron Maiden...or Radiohead. But none of them qualifies to me and neither does King Crimson. A KC-fan won't usually love everything KC-related and be completely obsessive about all that is KC-related (most fans stop caring either mid-70's or early 80's - some mid-nineties). They have very little that is cultish about them really. 

I especially agree with BaldFriede on:

The Grateful Dead, Magma, Hawkwind
The Residents - now that's a cult band for you. Crazy fans still buy their sh*t and attend to their boring concerts even 35 years post their last semi relevant (or great) release. 

Guru Guru are definitely a cult band in Germany; they even have their own festival (the Finkenbach festival) which happens (almost) every year.

Here part 1 of a German TV documentation about the 2011 Finkenbach festival:

The background is that Guru Guru used to live in Finkenbach for several years, and the whole village helps organizing this festival. The women cook and bake cakes, the men help building structures, the local fire brigade volunteers to help etc. And everyone loves Mani Neumeier, who really is an extremely amiable guy.

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: March 31 2018 at 03:06
This poll surely isn't worth being resurrected. It isn't even worth writing in it to complain. LOL

Date Posted: March 31 2018 at 04:01

Guru Guru are definitely a cult band in Germany; they even have their own festival (the Finkenbach festival) which happens (almost) every year...

...The background is that Guru Guru used to live in Finkenbach for several years, and the whole village helps organizing this festival. The women cook and bake cakes, the men help building structures, the local fire brigade volunteers to help etc. And everyone loves Mani Neumeier, who really is an extremely amiable guy.
That's nice and  I understand that it comes across like I don't see them as a cult band. That wasn't my intention but Guru Guru are not really among the biggest. They are closer to semiobscure bands with a cult following like... Faust or Swans (but probably smaller on a worldwide scale).    

-------------

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: March 31 2018 at 06:36
RUSH

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 31 2018 at 06:38
urrggg...  wouldn't consider either a cult band.. by any stretch of the definition.

as someone said ... you don't sell 40 million albums and get called anything but a mainstream artist..

and K.C. may not be any stretch of the definition mainstream...  they are still rather well known.. and highly respected by serious music fans.

Is being cult being unknown by casual music fans.. hardly...

Mick tends to see Cult bands much one might see Cult films...  those that have their PASSIONATE fans... but also have their passionate detractors. Honestly... you couldn't say either for Rush or K.C. One might not like them per se.... or simply enjoy picking on them... but they don't have 'anti' fan factions.

the two cult bands that jump to mind were of course noted earlier...  oh yes they have their fans.. and bet your ass there are those that very anti and can't stand them

VDGG and Magma jump immediately to me that fit cult band status perfectly

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: March 31 2018 at 09:14
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Guru Guru are definitely a cult band in Germany; they even have their own festival (the Finkenbach festival) which happens (almost) every year...

...The background is that Guru Guru used to live in Finkenbach for several years, and the whole village helps organizing this festival. The women cook and bake cakes, the men help building structures, the local fire brigade volunteers to help etc. And everyone loves Mani Neumeier, who really is an extremely amiable guy.
That's nice and  I understand that it comes across like I don't see them as a cult band. That wasn't my intention but Guru Guru are not really among the biggest. They are closer to semiobscure bands with a cult following like... Faust or Swans (but probably smaller on a worldwide scale).    

As to world-wide state: Guru Guru are big in Japan. Mani Neumeier is actually better known in Japan than in Germany and is a real legend there. Really true! There even is a statue of Mani Neumeier in the Tokyo waxworks. Not to forget the Acid Mothers Guru Guru.

Mani Neumeier is actually married to Japanese performance artist Etsuko Watanabe.

And here an excerpt from a duo performance of them:

-------------

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: March 31 2018 at 09:53
Crimson

Date Posted: March 31 2018 at 11:07
By the way: Here is a photo of Mani Neumeier with his wax effigy.

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 31 2018 at 11:17
^ nice...  having effigys of one's self gets you serious cult status...

which begs the question.. having seen that effigy of Trump hung from a tree yesterday. Does that make Trump our first cult President?

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 31 2018 at 11:29
Crimson. Is it really cult band?

Date Posted: March 31 2018 at 13:07

As to world-wide state: Guru Guru are big in Japan. 
Aren't most cult bands? 

There even is a statue of Mani Neumeier in the Tokyo waxworks. Not to forget the Acid Mothers Guru Guru.
Look who's also there:

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 31 2018 at 22:45
Rush are typically considered to be the world's largest cult band. I think Geddy Lee himself said that. However, I'm not sure if I quite agree with that since they have been played a lot on the radio and have sold a ton of albums and have had imo their share of mainstream success but I do understand the statement. Regardless I prefer them over KC(who I also like a lot and have a lot of respect for) so I voted for Rush. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk