Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99903
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 05:00
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: "Bill Bruford" Vs "Neil Peart"
Posted By: addictedtoprog
Subject: "Bill Bruford" Vs "Neil Peart"
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 23:20
Honestly i could not think of any other drummer to name beside these two men.
And i know that a similar poll must hav already been there which i haven't seen since my joining the forums. Besides it wud be a refresh with changing tastes of the old members and addition of new members. Besides im just selfish.
1 vote each on the basis of "Overall influence on other drummers" and ur "Preference".

Replies:
Date Posted: October 03 2014 at 23:27
Friends...plz vote twice..one for the influence and other for ur preference.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 00:17
Preference: Peart.
Influence: Bruford.

Yes, this has been done multiple times, and it got to be quite a nuisance. There are also a lot of other great drummers out there. My favorites include Billy Cobham, Barrymore Barlowe, and Keith Moon among others.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 00:22
Neil for both. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 00:32
Bruford for both.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 02:44
Neil for both.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 03:00
Bruford for both

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 03:45
I think Peart has been much more influential on the simple grounds that far more people have heard of Rush than any of the bands Bruford has been in. I don't see many young drummers wearing KC or Yes T shirts, but I see them wearing Rush ones from time to time.

We on here think Yes and King Crimson were huge bands, but they weren't, at least not when Bruford was in Yes. Almost all the mainstream/commercial success Yes had came with Alan White as drummer.

As for ability, they are both wonderful in their respective styles.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 06:35
Peart is the best drummer PERIOD. HOWEVER, Bruford i would say be the most influential even though a majority would disagree, yet i bet Peart was influenced by him (maybe?) and other prog drummers along with him. Sooooo..... if there was a both section here for influential i would really go for that.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 08:26
^Interresting poll. Got to go with Bruford for both.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 08:26
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I think Peart has been much more influential on the simple grounds that far more people have heard of Rush than any of the bands Bruford has been in. I don't see many young drummers wearing KC or Yes T shirts, but I see them wearing Rush ones from time to time.

Your reasoning and conclusions make me think you are interpreting the poll question as "currently popular amongyoung people". In which case, there doesn't even have to be an argument: Neil Peart is still active, while Bill Bruford retired years ago, so Neil wins by default. Also, outside of the Progarchives context Rush is known as a hard rock/heavy(ish) metal band. Heavy stuff has enjoyed stable popularity among young folks for the last 45 years; jazz fusion and prog appeal to a narrower audience. 

Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 08:37
^Recorded peformenances of Bruford have no bearing on this poll, then?

-------------

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 08:56
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Peart is the best drummer PERIOD. HOWEVER, Bruford i would say be the most influential even though a majority would disagree, yet i bet Peart was influenced by him (maybe?) and other prog drummers along with him. Sooooo..... if there was a both section here for influential i would really go for that.

Peart has amazing skills and techniques, and he has probably influenced a generation of rock drummers. Bill Bruford in his day was jazzier, funkier and more experimental with styles and techniques, I'd say. 

Bruford would have influenced Peart to a degree, because by the time Rush debuted Bruford had already made some of the most momentous prog masterpieces like the CTTE, Fragile, LTIA and Red. 

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 09:36
No doubt Yes influenced Rush--also think Perth is overrated like Rush is.

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 13:03
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Yes, this has been done multiple times, and it got to be quite a nuisance. There are also a lot of other great drummers out there. My favorites include Billy Cobham, Barrymore Barlowe, and Keith Moon among others.

ClapThumbs Up

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 13:15
Bruford for both.  Peart is the most over-rated drummer in the business.

Posted By: philsyes
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 14:18
Having been a fan of Yes since the early 70's, my leaning is to Bruford, but his style is more jazz/fusion while Pert is more rock. I've seen both perform live and honestly prefer Pert over Bruford. BUT my pick for most influential and preferred dummer is Carl Palmer.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 14:20
Bruford on both counts.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 14:26
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Peart is the most over-rated drummer in the business.

Guys..??? Is he correct???
I feel he's not..

Posted By: Billy Pilgrim
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 16:49
Peart for preferance and influeance. Bruffords great too though.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 21:41
Honestly, I do not know which one is more influential, so no vote there. I'd prefer Buffalo Bill over Neil any day, and not just "a bit more".

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 23:05
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

<span style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">Honestly, I do not know which one is more influential, so no vote there. I'd prefer Buffalo Bill over Neil any day, and not just "a bit more".</span>

Just what I was about to post too

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: October 04 2014 at 23:10
Off hand I cannot recall any prog rock drummers with a style similar to Bruford's.  He was one of the most distinct, especially the snare.  When I hear White play the fills of Heart of the Sunrise, it's just not the same.  And Bruford's style could be recognised even when he moved to King Crimson to perform completely different music and experiment a lot more than in Yes.  Whereas Peart has in fact been a huge influence on prog metal drummers, possibly also some extreme metal drummers like Gene Hoglan.  But I actually prefer Stewart Copeland for that style of 'busy' drumming.  It's roughly like Peart but a lot smoother, lot more fun (to my ears).  

Hence voted Bruford for preference and Peart for influence.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 05 2014 at 03:28
I split my vote as Bruford being more influential but I prefer Peart a little bit more. Hiseman , Collins and Palmer are also on the same level though.Arguably Carl Palmer was the most influential of the lot. Tarkus and Pictures set the benchmark for all prog drummers.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: October 05 2014 at 05:11
As far as influential goes it's got to be Peart, a considerably larger number of people, going way beyond just prog fans, have heard Neil Peart whilst Bill Bruford is effectively a jazz drummer playing rock, not something that has caught on too much.

As for preference, Peart is as dull as ditch water whilst Bruford is one of my favourite drummers.  

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: October 05 2014 at 13:24
Influence:Bill Bruford
Preference: Neil Peart

-------------

Posted By: ProgMetaller2112
Date Posted: October 06 2014 at 02:08
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Bill Bruford is a fCensored prick. Great drummer but a prick. Neil carries himself a lot better too. Influence goes to Bill but Peart is just better in my opinion. How can a band with a huge imprint and impact in music be overrated? Does not make sense

-------------
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Posted By: Billy Pilgrim
Date Posted: October 06 2014 at 02:16
^^ Peart seems like an incredibly nice dude, Brufford does kinda seem like a prick. Personality aside, peart is still more skilled, and Rush's influence is stamped all over the entire world of music. Can't believe he's not winning both sides of this poll.  

Date Posted: October 06 2014 at 08:53
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Bill Bruford is a fCensored prick. Great drummer but a prick. Neil carries himself a lot better too. Influence goes to Bill but Peart is just better in my opinion. How can a band with a huge imprint and impact in music be overrated? Does not make sense

I met Bill and he was a really cool gentleman---(met Fripp too and HE was a Censoredprick)---He's more educated than most rock stars and attended private schools so he has a way of expressing himself that comes off as snobby--in prog--your taste comes from metal so of course you like Neil---my taste comes from jazz so of course I love Bill.Smile

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: October 06 2014 at 09:08
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

As far as influential goes it's got to be Peart, a considerably larger number of people, going way beyond just prog fans, have heard Neil Peart whilst Bill Bruford is effectively a jazz drummer playing rock, not something that has caught on too much.
From my point of wiev it's almost the opposite. I guess we're both right and wrong. Jazz drummer's playing rock; there's many thousands of them out there and going way beyond prog of course. I don't know much about drummers influenced by Peart but I guess if every drummer playing prog Metal is, there's obviously quite a few.

-------------

Posted By: bloodnarfer
Date Posted: October 06 2014 at 09:16
I'm not sure about the drumming community as a whole, but bruford influences my style more and I enjoy his drumming by a very large margin

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ramza1316" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/user/ramza1316
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 06 2014 at 09:24
If we're talking influence, then it's got to be Peart simply because more people know him. If we were talking two equally "famous" drummers, then the poll would've been more fair. 
As it is, I think members are voting for the one who was the most influential on prog bands, not bands as a whole, and I'm not even sure they're right in that respect either. Peart's double bass pedals are today the bread and butter for 100s of prog metal bands, and that's not including the bands who just infuse a wee bit of metal into their sound, though often through the usage of the Peart signature footwork.
Oh and I much prefer Bruford.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 06 2014 at 10:12
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

The other way round for me.

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: October 06 2014 at 10:53
Bruford a bit more.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: October 06 2014 at 12:10
Bruford is certainly the grand master emeritus, in'nent he.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: October 08 2014 at 02:48
I read Bill's autobiog. He came across as quite self deprecating, down to earth and humourous. His book is one I recommend to any muso of any sort out there.

Both are absolutely fine masters of the kit.

My favourite drummer is Bonzo for the essential groove and sound. But in prog we do not like groove do we? ;) Outside of groove I keep thinking of Carl Palmer's work in KE9 part 3.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 08 2014 at 04:43
I'm mostly about the groove when it comes to drummers. That and feel. That's why I love Jaki Liebezeit from Can and SBB's mr groovehouse Jerzy Piotrowski. While both of these guys are incredibly dexterous and skilled, they rely much more on the feel of the drums - the real pows in your tummy.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 08 2014 at 13:22
lol

-------------

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: October 08 2014 at 13:34
Bill Bruford on both occasions.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 18:34
I'd really like to vote for both, but I'll vote for Bill Bruford.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 21:02
Bill is one of a kind in style and swing---Neil a very good drummer.

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 21:59
Bill Bruford. xxx

Posted By: ebil0505
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 15:12
Bill Bruford bringing back badass bongo beats, baby

-------------
"I like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:28
Originally posted by addictedtoprog addictedtoprog wrote:

Peart is the most over-rated drummer in the business.

Guys..??? Is he correct???

I feel he's not..

He's correct in his own mind, in'nent he?

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 01:50
I tend to think of Neli Peart as a great 'all rounder'. Now that could imply he's a Jack Of All Trades but I love the fact that he can do 'heavy' as well as play some extremely complex stuff. Bill creates more interesting patterns and rhythms but for me lacks 'balls' with maybe the exception of Red.

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 01:11
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I tend to think of Neli Peart as a great 'all rounder'. Now that could imply he's a Jack Of All Trades but I love the fact that he can do 'heavy' as well as play some extremely complex stuff. Bill creates more interesting patterns and rhythms but for me lacks 'balls' with maybe the exception of Red.

Not a bad interpretation, although on 'Heart of the Sunrise' (Fragile) and 'Parallels' (Going For the One), I think he definitely has the balls - the heavier chops - for these songs.  Otherwise, Richard, your analysis is quite sound...

Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 04:14
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

Not a bad interpretation, although on 'Heart of the Sunrise' (Fragile) and 'Parallels' (Going For the One), I think he definitely has the balls - the heavier chops - for these songs.  Otherwise, Richard, your analysis is quite sound...

yep he is brilliant on Fragile although GFTO was Alan White if I'm not mistaken?

Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 08:39
yes Alan on Parallels---tale Bill or Alan to Neil any day---Alan on Gates or Sound Chaser wow--creative stuff.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: October 18 2014 at 10:40
Bruford actually does come down pretty hard on the skins but he's way too jazzy to just keep playing a steady groove.  And paradoxically that's actually necessary in heavy music.  Too much syncopation reduces the rock quotient.  Some music needs that straight up, driving, unsyncopated 4/4 stuff.  Bruford is an incredible drummer but keeping things simple is not exactly his forte.

Posted By: CosmicVibration
Date Posted: October 22 2014 at 14:55

Both excellent A-class musicians, however, I think Bruford is top of the class; a musicians musician.  Many drummers play odd time signatures but how many play 2 different and odd time signatures at the same time?  Of course this means very little if the sequence doesn’t move you.

Bruford reinvented himself many times throughout his career and seems to do it all extremely well.   One of my favorite incarnations is when he took the electronic drums to new heights.  The master at play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YBrkudwv8E&index=1&list=RD1YBrkudwv8E" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YBrkudwv8E&index=1&list=RD1YBrkudwv8E

Posted By: Cactus Choir
Date Posted: October 23 2014 at 08:29
Voted Bruford for both although I agree he could lack a bit of the "heaviness" needed for rock. I find myself wishing he drummed more often like he did on KC's Starless where he combines technique with real power, that was his peak I think. Some of his best drumming with Yes was on South Side of the Sky, and I also like the work he did on his two albums with Patrick Moraz. Incidentally his autobiography is a great read, very witty and thoughtful. Some of the comments about Robert Fripp are hilarious.

-------------
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"

Date Posted: November 03 2014 at 09:54
Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

^^ Peart seems like an incredibly nice dude, Brufford does kinda seem like a prick. Personality aside, peart is still more skilled, and Rush's influence is stamped all over the entire world of music. Can't believe he's not winning both sides of this poll.  

I'm interested to know how Mr. Bruford earned the "kinda seem like a prick" status.

Posted By: Radagast
Date Posted: November 03 2014 at 15:01
My vote is for Neil Peart

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 03 2014 at 16:03

......  Peart is the most over-rated drummer in the business.

No...that would be the guy who left Dream Theater....

Wink

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: November 03 2014 at 16:24
ATP, you stole my next drummer poll! Well done. Clap

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2014 at 16:50
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I'm interested to know how Mr. Bruford earned the "kinda seem like a prick" status.

Spent too long with Mr Fripp I expectWink

Date Posted: November 03 2014 at 16:56

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Spent too long with Mr Fripp I expectWink

Spending time with MR. FRIPP, the greatest prog guitar player who ever lived, makes one a prick? I think not. How dare you, sir! HOW DARE YOU!!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk