Print Page | Close Window

Rolling Stone discovers Genesis....FINALLY!

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99954
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 13:12
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rolling Stone discovers Genesis....FINALLY!
Posted By: cstack3
Subject: Rolling Stone discovers Genesis....FINALLY!
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 01:19
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/20-insanely-great-genesis-songs-only-hardcore-fans-know-20141010/the-fountain-of-salmacis-20141010" rel="nofollow - http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/20-insanely-great-genesis-songs-only-hardcore-fans-know-20141010/the-fountain-of-salmacis-20141010

Let's face it, Rolling Stone hasn't been the most kind to prog bands....however, I found this article & linked music VERY impressive!  

Maybe they are starting to learn that there is a market out there beyond rap, or pretty-girl country etc.?  

Replies:
Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 01:34
It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine).

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 01:51
I may be the only person who doesn't give a toss what Rolling Stone thinksSleepy

Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 01:59
I consider myself a MASSIVE Genesis fan and yet I've never heard of Naminanu. Surprisingly good. 
Twilight Alehouse should of been on there (though I don't like the song that much...)
Annnnd.... I LOVE Evidence of Autumn!! If Evidence replaced the pop single Misunderstanding on Duke, perhaps Duke would be better received here on Progarchives...
Perhaps...
No, it wouldn't of. But still a great song nonetheless.

-------------
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 02:49
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I may be the only person who doesn't give a toss what Rolling Stone thinksSleepy
You're not the only one LOL

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 03:06
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Another here. I don't think I've ever read a copy

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Siloportem
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 03:24
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I thought they were a band where Johny Depps father played guitar.

-------------
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.

Posted By: Rick Robson
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 04:20

ClapClap
Same on here, I wonder if many people who loves quality music above all - as I've seen in PA Forum - thinks the same way as you. How I wish I find this atmosphere some day one day in my country...

-------------

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB

Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 04:37
I have the pleasure to inform in "first hand" - to be honest of course it's to whom might concern, that here in Brasil most of what I consider trash music that is played most of the time in the brasilian MTV is sponsored by this "rock" magazine Rolling Stone.
By the way I think it might be normal a rock fan who reads some rock magazines, but sincerely since I was a teen I remember having opened just one of them and just once in my whole life, and I'm not recalling now whether it was that Rolling Stone in which Neil Peart had won the prize as the best drummer of the year, or that one in which Eddie Van Halen won the same prize as the best guitarist.

-------------

Posted By: Argonaught
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 05:03

Look at the top of Rolling Stone's "Best 500 Albums of All Time" list. Apart from the London Calling, all their Top 10 albums are from the 1960s. Tunnel vision?

Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 05:20
^Are The Moody Blues right there?

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 09:20
 have the original Namimamu record and thought that song should have been on the album. I used to get Rolling Stone delivered to my home---NEVER FOR THE MUSIC---because it was more biased than Fox news---just for other stories and the picturesTongue Plus it was really cheap like 12 dollars a year.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 10:11

Nope. There's at least 2 of us.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 10:26

Far from it, I assure you.

Posted By: Kirillov
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 10:33

I read it once and thought it was awful.

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 10:44
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

I consider myself a MASSIVE Genesis fan and yet I've never heard of Naminanu. Surprisingly good. 
Twilight Alehouse should of been on there (though I don't like the song that much...)
Annnnd.... I LOVE Evidence of Autumn!! If Evidence replaced the pop single Misunderstanding on Duke, perhaps Duke would be better received here on Progarchives...
Perhaps...
No, it wouldn't of. But still a great song nonetheless.

that's funny because it is on there. just expand it.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 11:19
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Nope. There's at least 2 of us.
I care about this specific article. The person who wrote the piece obviously knows his stuff and isn't responsible for the magazines 40 years of prog-ignorance/hatred.  

-------------

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 11:23

Ditto, as most of the rest of you have said. There were much better music magazines that came along in time. And is Rolling Stone even a magazine? I always thought it was more of a music paper (rag).

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 12:21
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

The Rolling Stone ceased to be of relevance after 1971, which, by the way, was the last time Ian Anderson appeared on the cover.

It currently is a fashion magazine for immaculately rough-shaven, musically inept metrosexuals.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Anoraknok
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 12:22
Rolling stone just promotes the film. Don't be that optimistic. 

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 12:37

Same here.

I thought it was only read by elderly blues fans.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 12:40
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

The Rolling Stone ceased to be of relevance after 1971, which, by the way, was the last time Ian Anderson appeared on the cover.

It currently is a fashion magazine for immaculately rough-shaven, musically inept metrosexuals.

Do you mean emasculated ?

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 12:54
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Same here.

As an elderly blues fan, I take exception to lumping me in with a fash mag that extols praise for Kanye West. And the whole hip-hop milieu for that matter.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 13:18
I remember looking at their "Top 40 Essential Albums of 1967" and being surprised that Absolutely Free by Frank Zappa & The Mothers, among other choices, wasn't on there. The funny part was that I looked at the back cover of the album and there was a billboard on there saying "You must buy this record now. Top 40 radio will never ever play it". 

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 14:36
I read it. Some very interesting choices for their Top 20! Some I agree with, some I don't.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 14:53
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

ClapClap
Same on here, I wonder if many people who loves quality music above all - as I've seen in PA Forum - thinks the same way as you. How I wish I find this atmosphere some day one day in my country...

Well, I want to be more clear, I should have said "I'm sure that many people... etc."
That mistake was obviously thanks to my evident limitations with the english language, to be honest.

-------------

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: October 11 2014 at 14:56
I could be wrong, but I don't think Rolling Stone EVER covered prog bands, not even in the early to mid 70s.   Circus
mag gave them a lot of attention. 

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Date Posted: October 12 2014 at 00:26

Why don't you open that link and look through it? 

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 12 2014 at 01:57

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Same here.

As an elderly blues fan, I take exception to lumping me in with a fash mag that extols praise for Kanye West. And the whole hip-hop milieu for that matter.

Sorry, I must have meant Mojo...

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: October 12 2014 at 19:17

I understand that sentiment, and agree with it wholehearted when it comes to music. But they have done important work in journalism, and have picked up Pulitzers and Polk Awards for their work. Michael Hastings, who died in highly unusual circumstances (his Mercedes blew up in L.A., after he had contacted Wikileaks that the NSA was after him - just right after the Snowden leaks began) published "The Runaway General," which exposed a US general in Afghanistan, who had to step down afterwards. His piece won the Polk Award. Matt Taibbi (now with Glenn Greenwald's First Look Media) published widely-lauded pieces on the criminality of Wall Street and the big banks. Hunter S. Thompson was also a political journalist for the magazine, and there've been many outstanding exposes and works of investigative journalism published by RS.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: October 12 2014 at 21:17
Yeah, I had already stumbled upon that link, and I did enjoy it. Though I didn't have much time to hear the songs (specially the b sides, which are the ones I don't know. I hope to have some time to check them out, however, I guess I would need to investigate a bit and check out all their rarities, since they seem to have their good share. It would be nice if they did a collection of such tracks on a comptilation album (or does it already exist, the archives albums or whatever their name is... or on some of their box-sets?).

Posted By: Prog_Traveller
Date Posted: October 12 2014 at 21:50
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/20-insanely-great-genesis-songs-only-hardcore-fans-know-20141010/the-fountain-of-salmacis-20141010" rel="nofollow - http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/20-insanely-great-genesis-songs-only-hardcore-fans-know-20141010/the-fountain-of-salmacis-20141010

Let's face it, Rolling Stone hasn't been the most kind to prog bands....however, I found this article & linked music VERY impressive!  

Maybe they are starting to learn that there is a market out there beyond rap, or pretty-girl country etc.?  

Actually, Genesis were on the cover of Rolling Stone, I believe in 1986 after Invisible Touch but they were not exactly a prog band by then anyway. YES on the other hand has never appeared on the cover. But yeah recently it seems like RS magazine has all of a sudden discovered prog.

Posted By: Buddhabreath
Date Posted: October 12 2014 at 21:55
Really good point jude111 - RS has done some good journalism, too bad they have been a musical sell-out for decades...

Back a bit more on topic, the article listing "The Fountain of Salmacis" as something only hardcore fans would know? C'mon a major track from one of their best albums? Maybe the title of the article should have been "20 Good Genesis Songs Fans of the Pop-Drivel Version of Genesis May Not Know". Some of the stuff listed is far far from "Insanely Great" or obscure IMO, although "Happy the Man" was a nice pick.

For a song only hardcore fans might know check out "Inside And Out" from the "Spot the Pidgeon" EP from 1977. I still have it on blue vinyl when I bought it back in the day and always thought that was a pretty good track with a characteristic anthem-like heavy ending of that era...

Cheers!

- BB

-------------
There are more stars in the visible universe than grains of sand on all the world's deserts and beaches.

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: October 12 2014 at 22:54
"But, as usual with prog-era Genesis, the words aren't too important."

Shocked

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: October 12 2014 at 22:58
Yea it's not until "Jesus He Knows Me" that Genesis really gets lyrics that deserve acknowledgement. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: October 13 2014 at 03:36
Actually it's a very good thing for our beloved genre that a great mag like Rollingstone is to promote early Genesis, i.e. progressive rock.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: October 13 2014 at 12:32
"Rolling Stone discovers Genesis....Finally"? Really! I seem to recall an article about Genesis in Rolling Stone way back when while, if I recall correctly, they were touring the States behind one of their pre-Lamb' albums (forgive me if my memory is sketchy about which one; it's easily researchable). I do remember this article being informative and very cordial toward the band. If anyone cares to look it up, it came with a picture of the lads in NYC standing in front of a somewhat deflated Mickey Mouse balloon at that year's Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. Notable were Gabriel's notched scalp haircut, Collins' full head of hair, and the latter's breezy tropical suit being worn on what must have been a chilly day.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 13 2014 at 14:22
Been reading Stone since about 1969 or 70....always been a classic rock , blues rock, and pop rock mag and not one overly concerned about prog rock (and they have never claimed to be..) though they have had some articles over the years on prog especially on Floyd. They have always been a left wing political mag also and that has been a large part of their persona.
Over the last 15 years I have enjoyed Mojo more and of course Prog Rock magazine....but if you are into the Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, or Bruce Springsteen then it's your cup of tea.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: October 13 2014 at 17:53
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Been reading Stone since about 1969 or 70....always been a classic rock , blues rock, and pop rock mag and not one overly concerned about prog rock (and they have never claimed to be..) though they have had some articles over the years on prog especially on Floyd. They have always been a left wing political mag also and that has been a large part of their persona.
Over the last 15 years I have enjoyed Mojo more and of course Prog Rock magazine....but if you are into the Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, or Bruce Springsteen then it's your cup of tea.

Yeah, Mojo can be excellent! 

There was no mag more pro-prog than Circus magazine back in the early 1970s, it was amazing!  Huge articles about Yes, Genesis, ELP etc.  Very good journalism, very balanced.  I wish I had all of my old copies!

The RS link I posted was to show that, perhaps, prog is gaining some traction as a genre again....?  Check it out, there are some really interesting, rare Genesis tunes featured from all eras!  Even I was stumped on a few!  

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: October 13 2014 at 18:14
I hate Rolling Stone Magazine, but Circus was a pretty cool mag.

Date Posted: October 13 2014 at 18:48

(...)

(...)

The RS link I posted was to show that, perhaps, prog is gaining some traction as a genre again....?  (...)
Of course.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 13 2014 at 22:47

Yeah, Mojo can be excellent! 

There was no mag more pro-prog than Circus magazine back in the early 1970s, it was amazing!  Huge articles about Yes, Genesis, ELP etc.  Very good journalism, very balanced.  I wish I had all of my old copies!

The RS link I posted was to show that, perhaps, prog is gaining some traction as a genre again....?  Check it out, there are some really interesting, rare Genesis tunes featured from all eras!  Even I was stumped on a few!  

I did ck out the article and I was also unaware of quite a few of the later  tracks...but then I don't own anything beyond Wind.....

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: October 14 2014 at 11:55
It doesn't even register when I see the latest issue of RS up on the racks. It wasn't bad back in the day. I suppose it's a great read now if you're into Lady Antebellum and all that other cool music!

Date Posted: October 14 2014 at 12:36
Originally posted by Anoraknok Anoraknok wrote:

Howsoever, Rollingstone has made a step forward for a "rehabilitation" of progressive rock.

Date Posted: October 14 2014 at 14:51
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Howsoever, Rollingstone has made a step forward for a "rehabilitation" of progressive rock.

although this is not required. Its only in the general populace view that all these stupid mags subscribe to that this is required. Ignore it and just be happy that you listen to great music.

Posted By: prog4evr
Date Posted: October 15 2014 at 00:16

I actually don't give a f**k, but that's just me...

Date Posted: October 15 2014 at 01:13

although this is not required. Its only in the general populace view that all these stupid mags subscribe to that this is required. Ignore it and just be happy that you listen to great music.
It is required. Of course not for us who are already the fans of progressive rock, but for wider audience, for popularization of the genre, it is required, and due to that fact, I'm not going to ignore it; I will always salute that kind of articles in a "stupid mags".

Date Posted: October 15 2014 at 01:17

Of course it's required. Not for us who are already the fans of progressive rock, but for wider audience, for popularization of the genre, it is required.

It doesn't need to be popularized. There is so much prog around its coming out my ears. If only I had an infinitite amount of time and money. Prog is an elite passtime. The populace don't care for it. Songs over 5 minutes with no hummable tunes. Prog was only going to be popular at a particular time and that time has long gone. What hasn't gone are the bands and the passionate die hards like us.

Date Posted: October 15 2014 at 01:37

Of course it's required. Not for us who are already the fans of progressive rock, but for wider audience, for popularization of the genre, it is required.

It doesn't need to be popularized. There is so much prog around its coming out my ears. If only I had an infinitite amount of time and money. Prog is an elite passtime. The populace don't care for it. Songs over 5 minutes with no hummable tunes. Prog was only going to be popular at a particular time and that time has long gone. What hasn't gone are the bands and the passionate die hards like us.
I strongly disagree. Our beloved genre is not a sweet little thing in an old scrapbook of a grumpy old man's childhood; it's actually a living genre that is now global, with the ocean of fantastic bands and it deserves to be popularized, and it goes well with that "rehabilitation" by Rolingstone.
Prog can be "in" again. It just needs a strong propaganda in the mags such Rollingstone.

Date Posted: October 15 2014 at 14:53

I strongly disagree. Our beloved genre is not a sweet little thing in an old scrapbook of a grumpy old man's childhood; it's actually a living genre that is now global, with the ocean of fantastic bands and it deserves to be popularized, and it goes well with that "rehabilitation" by Rolingstone.
Prog can be "in" again. It just needs a strong propaganda in the mags such Rollingstone.

Propaganda' is a terrible word (as is 'rehabilitation' for that matter) to use in this context although I realise that English is not your first language. Prog has thrived despite (and perhaps because of ) being repeatedly kicked by publications such as Rolling Stone. They probably are now just realising how strong it is and how weak they were for not recognising it properly in the first place. Anyhow Rolling Stones opinion of prog is not going to make one iota of difference to anything. The bands will not suddenly become global forces and if they did would it make the music better? No of course not.

Date Posted: October 15 2014 at 15:01

Propaganda' is a terrible word (as is 'rehabilitation' for that matter) to use in this context although I realise that English is not your first language. (...)
LOL, okay, let's imagine that I replaced the word 'propaganda' with the word 'advertising' (although it is the same thing), but I stand by everything I said in my previous post.

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: October 15 2014 at 15:05
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

I actually don't give a f**k, but that's just me...

Here's a song for you LOL :  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWTsLnYO68U" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWTsLnYO68U

LOL, okay, let's imagine that I replaced the word 'propaganda' with the word 'advertising' (although it is the same thing)

Hah, brilliant! Wink

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 15 2014 at 15:16
It's easy to dismiss Rolling Stone magazine from a prog rock fan's pov - something I am guilty of myself, but you cannot dismiss the quality of some of the interviews they did in their early years. Some of the best interviews I've ever read stem from Rolling Stone. You'd think the hordes of Beatles fans around PA would dig something like http://imaginepeace.com/archives/4385" rel="nofollow - this  or perhaps http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/john-lennon-the-rolling-stone-interview-19681123" rel="nofollow - this .
For the full Kahuna though, I'd heartily recommend the book that later on materialised, in which you get monsieur Lennon in proper Guru mode.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: October 15 2014 at 15:29
Sorry, but I have to vent here.

I cannot think of a more musically inept and pandering American music magazine than Rolling Stone.

Their total disregard for any music form that even reeks of art rock is it's greatest failing. But it's manipulation of musical trends and tastes in the States where it declared Bruce Springsteen the next coming of Christ in some musical incarnate form and pushing the American public to embrace Mr. Springsteen's bombast  from issue to issue in 1975 still sickens me.

The magazine also bolstered the flagging talents and drive of former rock icons like Eric Clapton and his sleep walking performance on the album Slow Hand as if it was some form of back to basics stroke of genius when EC was just too burnt out to get out of his own way.

In a perfect world, that album and it's once innovative creator would have been told to resign their efforts to the discount bin and a vigil would have held for Clapton's return.

If anything precipitated the arrival of punk in the United States, it's Rolling Stone's celebration of the mundane and it's inane belief that seventies rock was alive and well when it was in it's death throws.

When punk finally did arrive, RS saw this as the new coming while still worshipping at Springsteen's bombastic alter with forgettable albums like Born In The USA, while extolling the virtues that Bruce was for the common man like he was Woody Guthrie incarnate!

Even when they 4 starred Dire Straight's Making Movies album, it was because of the recording and big sound that Knopfler copied from Springsteen, along with borrowing Sringsteen keyboardist Roy Bitten to 'Bruce Up" the sound of the album.

And where was prog, blues, metal and folk rock in of this? In the reviews section, if at all, with only Van Halen getting big press like they single handedly rescued and enhanced hard rock and metal with European (nee British) groups again resigned to small articles. If at all.

I have nothing but disdain for Rolling Stone, it's publisher, editors and writers and if I never saw RS mentioned in PA again, I'll die a happy man.

Date Posted: October 15 2014 at 16:21
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I cannot think of a more musically inept and pandering American music magazine than Rolling Stone.

Their total disregard for any music form that even reeks of art rock is it's greatest failing. 

Well, perhaps we should acknowledge that the word "music" is an umbrella definition for a range of cultural and recreation activities that involve making sounds (which would be the only common denominator I can think of). 

If Rolling Stone chose to focus on traditional rock and blues, that's what they are going to be writing about - maybe an occasional shout-out to a prog band. And that's what their core readership expects. 

Date Posted: October 15 2014 at 18:28
^I am well aware of what the term 'musical' entails. Do you understand what the terms 'pandering' and 'manipulative' entail?

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: October 15 2014 at 19:39
I recall pretty well that the brasilian edition of RS used to pander to general people's interest in the most successful commercially-wise pop rock music, hence its whole stuff turning out as kind of 'take or leave it rock and roll, but I like it'.

Anyway in the other hand, prog in my country is one of the few genres that was always for very few people, and nowadays for almost nobody!

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2014 at 21:26

Do you understand what the terms 'pandering' and 'manipulative' entail?

Would you say that the Rotorcraft magazine panders to, and manipulates the vulnerable folks who are interested in the post-WWII era piston airliners?  

hint: they, that is the piston airliners folks, couldn't care less even if Rotorcraft did :)

Date Posted: October 15 2014 at 21:40
RS recently featured Miley Cyrus -- footlong tongue and all -- on its cover.

I'm sorry, but no serious music periodical deserving of discussion here would advertise such inanity. Whatever RS had disappeared decades ago. It is a shell that shills sh*t.

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 01:20

Propaganda' is a terrible word (as is 'rehabilitation' for that matter) to use in this context although I realise that English is not your first language. (...)
LOL, okay, let's imagine that I replaced the word 'propaganda' with the word 'advertising' (although it is the same thing), but I stand by everything I said in my previous post.

that makes more sense in that context

I still hate the word 'rehabilitation' thoughWink

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 01:21

Their total disregard for any music form that even reeks of art rock is it's greatest failing. But it's manipulation of musical trends and tastes in the States where it declared Bruce Springsteen the next coming of Christ in some musical incarnate form and pushing the American public to embrace Mr. Springsteen's bombast  from issue to issue in 1975 still sickens me.

The magazine also bolstered the flagging talents and drive of former rock icons like Eric Clapton and his sleep walking performance on the album Slow Hand as if it was some form of back to basics stroke of genius when EC was just too burnt out to get out of his own way.

In a perfect world, that album and it's once innovative creator would have been told to resign their efforts to the discount bin and a vigil would have held for Clapton's return.

If anything precipitated the arrival of punk in the United States, it's Rolling Stone's celebration of the mundane and it's inane belief that seventies rock was alive and well when it was in it's death throws.

When punk finally did arrive, RS saw this as the new coming while still worshipping at Springsteen's bombastic alter with forgettable albums like Born In The USA, while extolling the virtues that Bruce was for the common man like he was Woody Guthrie incarnate!

Even when they 4 starred Dire Straight's Making Movies album, it was because of the recording and big sound that Knopfler copied from Springsteen, along with borrowing Sringsteen keyboardist Roy Bitten to 'Bruce Up" the sound of the album.

And where was prog, blues, metal and folk rock in of this? In the reviews section, if at all, with only Van Halen getting big press like they single handedly rescued and enhanced hard rock and metal with European (nee British) groups again resigned to small articles. If at all.

I have nothing but disdain for Rolling Stone, it's publisher, editors and writers and if I never saw RS mentioned in PA again, I'll die a happy man.

Clap

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 02:10
Forgive but not forget eh? they are as much part of history as is Steve Hackett's Cured. InescapableSmile

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 02:53

You can hate the word if it will make you happy, but the word "rehabilitation" very accurately describes what happened.

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 05:38
Your claim of Rolling Stone's alleged "rehabilitation" equates to a drunk putting down the bottle long enough to take a piss.

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 05:45
I prefer Hustler magazine myself.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 06:11

Your claim of Rolling Stone's alleged "rehabilitation" equates to a drunk putting down the bottle long enough to take a piss.
'just a little is enough'

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 07:13
Rolling Stone is a quality magazine, just not a quality music magazine.  Their investigative journalism is outstanding, especially if you're an American Democrat or simply liberal-minded.  That said, it hasn't been a quality music magazine in quite a while....I'd date it back to the late 80s when the record review section went from feature articles on new records and at least 10 pages of lengthy reviews from some of the best rock journalists of the time.  Some even date it back to the late 70s when punk hit America, and with it the death of depth and the birth of "what's he wearing". 

Genesis used to get slammed in Rolling Stone - look into the archives and read some of the prog reviews....or even Led Zep reviews.  And now Page and Plant and even Genesis get positive ink.  Revisionist journalism.....doesn't ring true to me.  Screw RS.

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 08:00
^I agree with almost everything you said there. Rolling Stone was a high quality rock magazine at one point, plus a sharp social commentary on American affairs, yet what it is today is laughable and but a mere shadow of it's old self. 
But, and I stress this, they were a rock magazine, not prog or electronic or a soul magazine. Just like we focus on prog here. I bet there are no outcrys in the Rolling Stone news room about the lack of Bob Dylan related material on PA.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 09:34

Been saying that for 30 years!

It is one of the least useful music toilet papers around!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 10:30
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Forgive but not forget eh? they are as much part of history as is Steve Hackett's Cured. InescapableSmile
The Black Plague was a part of history too, Chris. Does that mean we should accept it and give it a pass. Or the Great Inquistion?

Compatable tragedies, No.

But lying and obfuscation of facts does not deserve to be given a pass. RS made their money with record company 'endorsements' and 'incentives' from other parties in order to portray then current  music trends in ways that were far from true, and the fact that they pander to lady Ga Ga while reviewing a Dylan album in order to appear fair and balanced in the same issue should say it all. I started  reading RS when it first came out with the famous Lennon interview and their trashing of Led Zeppelin's first album was the first thing that set off warning bells in my mind: Do these people even have a clue of the current rock music trends? No. Not anymore than they do now.

Forgive? Maybe. But that would take an extraordinary act of contrition that RS could never pull off.

-------------

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 13:36
^ OK, whatever makes the the mill wheel grind. Everything is subjective though Steve, even Lady Gaga and Dylan. I think Gaga's output in the last five years is a lot better than Dylan's, let's see how she will be faring in 30 years from now. But who are you/we to determine which bands get exposure and which don't? RS is a business , a successful one at that but true  some of us do not have to like it. I share more disdain for the likes of NME, Melody Maker who crucified prog bands late 70's/early 80's only cos they were sh*t scared and clueless about the Punk revelution at the time. I mean why not embrace bothPinch

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 13:42

You can hate the word if it will make you happy, but the word "rehabilitation" very accurately describes what happened.

How exactly? Good art becomes bad art and then becomes good again. Makes total sense on some far away planet.

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 14:11
^ As someone has already pointed out, Rollingstone was a mag whose editorial policy was directed to  Rock, not to Prog. Actually, RollingStone was one of the hystorical "fortress" of Rock purists. As you know, Rock purists were / are not like Prog. On the contrary, they hated our beloved genre no less than e.g. the fans of Punk. So I consider this RollingStone's article as a "rehabilitation" of Prog. Get it?

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 15:35
[QUOTE=Chris S]. I think Gaga's output in the last five years is a lot better than Dylan's.

Your opinion is subjective Chris.

I quoted facts. The mill wheel has stopped turning.

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 15:47
And it is time for the matador to dance with the blind shoe-maker!

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 15:49
^The mill wheel just fell over.

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 17:39
If there's something I never understand is why so much importance is given to purists/critics/reviewers articles, for me they are commonly overrated, and not just in RS.

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 17:46
^Because they encourage 'follow the leader' behavior and determine what is culturally hip instead of the other way around.

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 17:56
^yeah pretty true, and realize one of the reasons for their general friendly behavior regarding the music industry trend, bingo!

-------------

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 23:21
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I prefer Hustler magazine myself.

Yep ... at least we know that the pictures are not fake, and the stars are still people.

RS was one of the first "People" magazines for rock music. The guy that put it together was more interested in his star rock friends and parties, than he was in the music.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: October 16 2014 at 23:23
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

^ OK, whatever makes the the mill wheel grind. Everything is subjective though Steve, even Lady Gaga and Dylan. I think Gaga's output in the last five years is a lot better than Dylan's, let's see how she will be faring in 30 years from now.... Pinch

Yeah, but he will be remembered as one of the best American Poets in the 20th century ... Lady Googoo is just another singer out there!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 01:13

^ As someone has already pointed out, Rollingstone was a mag whose editorial policy was directed to  Rock, not to Prog. Actually, RollingStone was one of the hystorical "fortress" of Rock purists. As you know, Rock purists were / are not like Prog. On the contrary, they hated our beloved genre no less than e.g. the fans of Punk. So I consider this RollingStone's article as a "rehabilitation" of Prog. Get it?

Nope but then that is hardly some in depth article about prog is it?

The late seventies/early eighties  was an absolute pain for me (and I imagine for many prog fans) but what I got used to was the fact that we could not rely on any rock magazines for decent articles about prog. In England there were a few decent journalists like Chris Welch but then he was probably considered some kind of dinosaur as well. The 90's though was very interesting as we saw a comeback of proper bands who wrote and produced their own songs. The 'plastic eighies' was no more. Prog suddenly made a comeback (especially in Scandinavia) and all this happened independently of magazines like RS. Anyway if RS ever writes a decent article about this and the history of prog please let me know.

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 02:38

(...) Prog suddenly made a comeback (especially in Scandinavia) (...)
...and also especially in Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, France, Spain, Portugal, USA, Mexico, Argentina, Peru and so on.

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:01

Nope but then that is hardly some in depth article about prog is it?

The late seventies/early eighties  was an absolute pain for me (and I imagine for many prog fans) but what I got used to was the fact that we could not rely on any rock magazines for decent articles about prog. In England there were a few decent journalists like Chris Welch but then he was probably considered some kind of dinosaur as well. The 90's though was very interesting as we saw a comeback of proper bands who wrote and produced their own songs. The 'plastic eighies' was no more. Prog suddenly made a comeback (especially in Scandinavia) and all this happened independently of magazines like RS. Anyway if RS ever writes a decent article about this and the history of prog please let me know.
Hopefully, RS will know what geographical area is referred to as Scandinavia. They probably think that Anekendoten is a country.

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:08

...and also especially in Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, France, Spain, Portugal, USA, Mexico, Argentina, Peru and so on.

Just because a progressive album was released there, doesn't mean there is a "comeback" and the country is flourishing with popular prog bands.

Bandcamp albums from these places isn't quite the scale for this. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:13

That only works if they throw Lady Gaga, Fifty Cent and Beyonce out with the trash.

-------------

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:17
Out of all shameful artists, you choose those?

Gaga is not half bad. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:19
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Out of all shameful artists, you choose those?

Gaga is not half bad. 
Gag me with a spoon.

-------------

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:20
^But seriously, you're mising the point. As western music floats in, pop will always dominate.

-------------

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:23
Spoon can be pretty good. I like their "Girls Can Tell" album. Haven't heard their most recent stuff yet.

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:24
^See. I told you that pop dominates.

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:29
When I looked at it--for me the magazine was NEVER about music it was about popular culture, politics and it's award winning photos by the great Annie Leibowitz.Smile

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 09:32

^But seriously, you're mising the point. As western music floats in, pop will always dominate.

Well of course, it is designed to. 

But that doesn't mean all pop is bad. Cool

-------------

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 11:03

(...)

LOL
What "bandcamp albums" means?
Nothing.
Bandcamp is nothing like e.g. ECM that to be something like a label & a genre in the same time.
It's not even a record label. It's a service. A service, such as DHL, Western Union and so on.
Also, there are a some prog oriented labels who sell great & highly rated prog albums and they use Bandcamp as same as self-signed artists as well, just because a better global service does not exist in this moment. When (if) some new service will be better than Bandcamp, it will be a "Bandcamp" then. As same as Bandcamp blew out Myspace as well.

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 11:08

That only works if they throw Lady Gaga, Fifty Cent and Beyonce out with the trash.
Pop will always exist, in one form or another.

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 11:13

(...)

LOL
Nothing.
Bandcamp is nothing like e.g. ECM that to be something like a label & a genre in the same time.
It's not even a record label. It's a service. A service, such as DHL, Western Union and so on.
Also, there are a some prog oriented labels who sell great & highly rated prog albums and they use Bandcamp as same as self-signed artists as well, just because a better global service does not exist in this moment. When (if) some new service will be better than Bandcamp, it will be a "Bandcamp" then. As same as Bandcamp blew out Myspace as well.

Missed my point - oh well. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 11:26

(...)

LOL
Nothing.
Also, there are a some prog oriented labels who sell great & highly rated prog albums and they use Bandcamp as same as self-signed artists as well, just because a better global service does not exist in this moment. When  will be better than Bandcamp, it will be a Bandcamp" then. As same as Bandcamp blew out Myspace as well.

Missed my point - oh well. 
You can to bet in a hard cash that I have not miss your point.
It was actually a very simple "puzzle" to figure out..

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 15:02

Well of course, it is designed to. 

But that doesn't mean all pop is bad. Cool
I'm not sure if you're just pulling my leg, but I would rather that prog fans turn to other areas of rock before going into the land of dreaded pop. After actually typing that, I know you're pulling my leg. LOL

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 15:08
I read a Rolling Stone issue back in the 70s and never touched one again! Bunch of dilettante idiot elitists, who probably received more brown envelopes than any radio station ever did. Dead Ask me how I feel about Lester Bangs now! Big smile

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: October 17 2014 at 15:25
The real shame of Charles post is that it shows that some contributors of RS are not ignorant of music outside of their sphere. These are probably muso writers that have gotten off on Genesis in their youth, but unfortunately in order to pay bills and purchase diapers, they have sold their artistic souls to the corporate devil. Can you imagine the effort it took for this contributor to get his editor to post this Genesis list?

But my first instinct will always dictate in this type of circumstance. Rolling Stone, where were you when we needed you?

Sorry, you're a dollar short and a day late.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk