Renaissance - Grandine Il Vento [Aka: Symphony Of Light] CD (album) cover

GRANDINE IL VENTO [AKA: SYMPHONY OF LIGHT]

Renaissance

javajeff
5 stars I have been listening to some heavier prog lately, so I was in for some culture shock with this album. My review is of "Symphony of Light," and not the original "Grandine Il Vento." Symphony of Light contains the additional two tracks from "The Mystic and Muse EP" and a new track "Renaissance Man" written as a tribute to the late Michael Dunford. Although it has been a year or so since I listened to Renaissance, it did not take long for me to be swept away by Annie Haslam's angelic voice. It absolutely sent chills through my soul, and she has never sounded better. I can only imagine what they were trying to achieve with this album by creating a homage to the 70s. This is a modern album, but they absolutely gave it some of that 70s magic that they had when they were younger. People change when they get older, and this achievement was very difficult as their frame of reference changed from all of the life experiences. With the addition of John Wetton's vocals on "Blood Silver Like Moonlight" and Ian Anderson's flute playing on "Cry To The World," that 70's vibe was complete. This is an absolutely solid album with no duds and many tempo changes to give it a very progressive feel. If you enjoy the music of Renaissance, the vocals of Annie Haslam, or progressive rock, there is so much to like about this album.
javajeff | 5/5 |