Opeth - Pale Communion CD (album) cover

PALE COMMUNION

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

javajeff
4 stars This is another solid release by Opeth, and they have a right to make any type of album they want. If you are looking for Ghost Reveries, Still Life, or Blackwater Park, then you should look elsewhere. This is a throwback, 70s vibe progressive rock release in the vein of something you would expect from Steven Wilson or Motorpsycho. It took me a long time to accept the growls in some of their best albums, and now I am used to them. With that being said, I really love the three albums mentioned earlier and think they are brilliant. The combination of extreme metal with the softer moments is very special. This is not that type of a release since I do not hear any progressive metal, but there are a few heavier moments. This may just be the softest Opeth album yet with Damnation and Heritage in the mix. As a progressive rock fan, I have nothing bad to say about this release. However, expectations are hard to overcome at times, and I would like to hear another album similiar to the heart of their catalog. However, I still have to rate this as a brilliant progressive rock release. This is an excellent addition to any prog rock music collection.
javajeff | 4/5 |