Wobbler - Rites At Dawn CD (album) cover

RITES AT DAWN

Wobbler

Wicket
1 stars I give up.

I thought these guys could actually put together a great instrumental album based off of "In Taberna". Instead, they turn into a Yes cover band.

Now, this isn't an insult to Yes at all, rather a compliment to just how good Yes is and was. Indeed, if I was half asleep or hungover, I'd probably mistake this album for a Yes album. The problem is, when you analyze bands that sound like Yes, you can't ever put them in the same category because the Yes sound is one uniquely their own, and so therefore every band afterwards that sounds like Yes isn't going to sound like Yes because they're not Yes. Clear?

So backing themselves up to this benchmark of greatness doesn't help, but then song after song sounds exactly like Yes, except less interesting and exciting. It's baffling. i have no idea why these guys decided to forgo their greatest asset (their instrumental skills) and decide to hide them behind a facade of cover band material.

Then again, maybe they have good drugs up there in Norway.

I gave them a shot but honestly, I just don't understand the praise. I do understand the band's main goal to recreate some of the 70's sounds, which is in essence going backwards, for a reason, but even then I still don't get 70's prog off this album. Just a cheap, imitation knockoff.

It's a shame, really. They could've done so much more, but if this is what they've been reduced to, then they're not for me.

Wicket | 1/5 |