Threshold - European Journey CD (album) cover

Threshold

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
3 stars A lost opportunity

When I first heard that Damian Wilson had returned to Threshold I was very pleased as he is by far my favourite Threshold vocalist. Given that Wilson is back in the band I expected them to perform a set list packed with songs from the band's early days, particularly from the two first Wilson-fronted albums Extinct Instinct and Wounded Land. As it turns out, however, this expectation could hardly be more wrong. With the sole exception of Part Of The chaos (taken from my favourite Threshold album Extinct Instinct) the whole first decade of the band's history is sadly completely ignored here!

Instead there is a very heavy emphasis on their most recent albums to date with no less than nine out of the total 15 songs coming from their two most recent albums: 2014's For The Journey and 2012's March Of Progress. Two songs each are further taken from the two albums before that: 2007's Dead Reckoning and 2004's Subsurface. While it is certainly interesting to hear Wilson tackle some of the songs that were originally sung by the late Andrew "Mac" McDermott, I think it is a shame that they chose to overlook their early material. In my opinion, the band's first four albums are also their best. Of their more recent songs only Pilot In The Sky Of Dreams is really excellent.

In sum, European Journey is something of a lost opportunity to create a really good live record, and there are other live albums by the band that are better than this one; foremost among them being Critical Energy, which has a much more interesting set list.

SouthSideoftheSky | 3/5 |