Neal Morse - The Neal Morse Band: The Similitude Of A Dream CD (album) cover

THE NEAL MORSE BAND: THE SIMILITUDE OF A DREAM

Neal Morse

javajeff
5 stars This is an incredible album. It is flawless in every way and deserves to be in the conversation with the best concept albums ever made. This is actually my very first Neal Morse solo album, so I cannot compare it to anything else other than Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, or Flying Colors. I think I have been avoiding his solo stuff due to the religious nature. I have been warming up to it more, so I will explore his back catalog. What I can say about The Similitude Of A Dream, is that it is loaded with variety of styles, but keeps a signature Neal Morse feel. One thing that really stuck out is that there are many vocalists on this album, and I especially liked Mike Portnoy's vocals. He has a voice that is perfect for playing a part on concept albums. The variance in the vocals really added depth by bringing extra excitement to the theme. There are times when I listen to The Similitude Of A Dream where I feel it sounds more like Dream Theater than Spock's Beard. I believe the musicianship is just perfect, and the drumming by Mike is superb as always. The compositions are excellent, and the songwriting is stellar as expected by Neal Morse. It is up there with all of his best albums, and I believe it even surpasses the masterpiece Snow. I cannot find any negatives after many listens, and I am sure that The Similitude Of A Dream will be in my rotation for a long time. I highly recommend this to anyone that loves progressive rock or concept albums.
javajeff | 5/5 |