The Tangent - The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery CD (album) cover

THE SLOW RUST OF FORGOTTEN MACHINERY

The Tangent

javajeff
5 stars I always expect a high quality progressive rock album with every release from The Tangent, and The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery is no exception. Andy Tillison is one of the best keyboard players in the business, so I always describe his playing as electric. Like other Tangent releases, The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery has a heavy infusion of jazz that takes the listener on a journey of unexpected turns. As far as compositions go, this is a stellar work to enhance his usually witty lyrics, and exceptional musicianship. The basslines are fantastic, so a big kudos goes to Jonas Reingold. It is nice to hear some female vocals mixed in to provide some harmonies, and there is also some spoken narration for variety. The entire band sounds great, and I am always happy with a new release from The Tangent. From the excellent cover art to the satisfying, old school, jazz infused rock and roll arrangements, this should please any progressive rock fan. The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery is up there with the best progressive rock releases for 2017 and beyond, and will be in my heavy rotation for quite a while. I enjoy and play all The Tangent releases often.

UPDATE: After spending more time with this album, it could be the best Tangent release to date. I have been listening to it regularly. It is easily up for mention as a top album of 2017.

javajeff | 5/5 |