Gandalf's Fist - A Day in the Life of a Universal Wanderer (Special Edition) CD (album) cover

A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A UNIVERSAL WANDERER (SPECIAL EDITION)

Gandalf's Fist

LittleLotti
5 stars Okay, for the first time I will have a take on the concept, because although it's rather cryptic, I think I got it... Plus, I agree with MrHaddington's review, so no point in repeating what he already wrote.

With this concept behind the album (and it wasn't THAT clear on the original release), which totally blew my socks off, I just HAD to give it a 5 star rating. Good call they revisited the album and put it out as a DigiPak (again). This band just gets better and better, with every release.

* Overall Concept *

A derelict craft crosses the event horizon of a black hole. From the outside they appear to the universe to be frozen in time forever, whereas they are able to witness every event in the universe, past and present, as time has no meaning there. The songs appear as semi-random snapshots of events in mankind's future, leading to its ultimate destruction.

Somehow the ship's transmissions escape the clutches of the black hole by a "Lorentzian uplink" and are intercepted by the listener's device. (The booklet really helps there as it's sort of a computer screen where the data stream of said Lorentzian uplink is dissected and listed with some Linux-like grep commands. It also contains a letter from the "Department of Cosmoligical Cryptology", explaining why we (the listeners, or "decoders" received this recorded signal)).

* Song outlines *

The Nine Billion Names of God: After being asked to devise a computer program to compute all the possible names for the divine being, two sceptical sceintists sit aside a tibetan monistary on a mountaintop watching all the stars overhead, without a fuss, dissapearing one by one.

Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet: An adventurer stows away secretly below decks on a spacecraft heading out of the solar system, hoping to explore the legendary "Mushroom planet". Some time into the journey he looks out of the cargo bay windows to see that ship is heading headlong into a black hole with no way of escape.

Somewhere Beyond the Stars: The story of a loved one being captured and taken literally to the ends of the universe and how this seemingly insurmountable distance does not hamper the hope or drive for being reunited again.

The Orphans of the Sky: This one sets up the notion of mankind cast adrift in the galaxy after the earth has been destroyed. With no planet to call home they are isloated, stray wanderers of the cosmos.

The Stowaway And The Endless Night: The stowaway beneath the deck begins to notice echoes and dilations in time. Insanity ensues when he realises he cannot distinguish between past, future and present anymore.

A Universal Wanderer: As we draw closer to the singularity of the black hole we encounter a being that has trancended time's arrow and has witnessed the universe from birth to death. Infinity would be its curse should it be able to comprehend the notion of infinity itself.

Nexus: We are drawn into the nexus: the centre of the singlarity where time has no meaning. Slowly our perception of time changes and becomes as one with the universal wanderer

North of the Wall: Our minds our now free of spacetime. The nexus slips away to an infinate wilderness filled with snow. It is a qantum state: a vision of both future and past as one.

The Battle for Tannhäuser Gate: Cycling forward through time we bear witness to mankind's end at the hands of thier robot slaves. It is like a sci-fi battle around a huge stargate but yet has a napoleonic war feel with the soldiers/battle looking more vintage than sci-fi. It reminds me of Maiden's "The Trooper" but fighting the replicants from Blade Runner (that's how the battle looks in my head, it's not the songs that sound like that).

The Wanderer Goes South: We step outside the nexus and see the black hole as outsiders. Beyond the event horizon we see the ship, the captain, the stowaway and the wanderer all frozen in spacetime forever.

LittleLotti | 5/5 |