Wobbler - From Silence to Somewhere CD (album) cover

FROM SILENCE TO SOMEWHERE

Wobbler

poito
5 stars The band Wobbler had been silent for a while. Is that the message in the album title? But the wait was worth. Since their former RITES I think they've matured somehow. Don't get me wrong, they were already impressive musicians, and the music was amazing, complex and full of corners, but they were excessively after old prog heroes. This one is got a different flavor, although the early 70's are still there painting it all, this one is more GENESIS-like, with picks from YES, KING CRIMSON, etc, but there is much more effort in the story line now, plus some modern flavors in a perfect blend. The tracks have a bone to bite for a long time now. As in the album title track, a long epic in which they use a fast pulsing motif that reminds of Genesis' "The Knife" in Foxtrot, or the perfect "Fermented Hours", what a wonderful blend of 70's and 2K's. Curiously, what they won in personality they've lost in complexity (does it make sense?..., I think so, it's sort of what defines the duality YES-GENESIS). The tracks are much more digestible, accessible to a larger audience. Here and there, you get some bits from 21th prog heroes like LEPROUS, especially the singer, that is still the weakest part of the project. I mean, we all know that Jon Anderson and Einar Solberg are among the greatest of all times, but Wobbler is trying to get there and the singer Andreas Wettergreen should not allow himself some failures in the recording. Is it too much asking to do it again till you get it right, man?
poito | 5/5 |