Phideaux - Infernal CD (album) cover

INFERNAL

Phideaux

javajeff
4 stars Yes, it is that good. Another super addicting release from Phideaux. If one album was not enough, almost 90 minutes of music should satisfy any progressive rock fan with Infernal. And 90 minutes is always a safe length when we discuss double albums. I never feel it is too long or too short, but just right. Of course there is excellent musicianship in Infernal, but Phideaux really shines with the witty lyrics. For me, I just take them in as there are many memorable lines that rhyme. I often do not focus on lyrics when listening to progressive rock, but Phideaux ropes me into the lyrics just like Peter Hammill does. And that is a good thing. The fact that there is a cello, trumpet, sax, and other guest performances should tell you how much variety is packed into this double album. It is all about the art, and using the right instruments to create the moods is Phideaux putting the music first. Album creation is not about him, and he even leads the album off with female led vocals. It is all about that art, and that is what makes Phideaux an amazing modern prog rock artist. I spent that last few days listening to Infernal and the back catalog, and it fits in nicely with the other releases. Every note is just right, and I feel like I have been listening to it for years. Highly recommended.
javajeff | 4/5 |