Tony Banks - Still CD (album) cover

STILL

Tony Banks

FalconBleck
3 stars #25 Review

Update 3-4-2019 I woke up and suddenly my mind said "remember I Wanna Change the Score?" and the music started playing out of nowhere in my mind, and i was really happy, then at work searched the album on youtube and heard the first track and i was in love with it, then read this old review and realized "damn, i was mean to this album, i gotta give it justice", so i heard the whole album and pointed out what i liked and what keeps being the same.

1.- Red Day On Blue Street 7/10 The lyrics, chord changes and progression are brilliant, it fits the formula for a hit, but as any hit is repetitive and as a Tony Banks it could use a little more of his talents, the small solo doesn't satisfy me and the horns are a little annoying.

2.- Angel Face keeps its score, but i have to point out that the good atmosphere that sets at the start doesn't carry on.

4.- Still it Takes me by Surprise 8/10 Yes, i skipped The Gift because that one its the same for me, but this one as i said in the review is the best song in the album still for me, but i increased the score.

5.- Hero for an Hour 5/10 While the song its a little dumb at times, it doesn't deserve the same score as The Gift, it also has some nice vocal distortions like in The Fugitive, but this song has the better use.

6.- I Wanna Change the Score 8/10 You could say that i changed the score, this song was so stuck to my head and it surprised me even more after realizing that one part was made in 7/8, not only that, but it was cleverly implemented, probably one of the best uses of that time signature since i heard Solsbury Hill. This song its good cheese but it could add a little more Tony Banks.

9.- Back to Back 6/10 Water out of Wine, Another Murder of a Day and the last song after this one keep their respective reviews, but as of this song, i liked it a little more now and i can't understand how it wasn't a hit, also, that guitar solo its fine, a little short.

Final Score this time is 60/100, wich increases 1 star, making it a 3 star, this is the review in wich i felt the most need to do something about it, i was unfair to the album and now i kind of understand why people praise it so much, while with Abacab i'm still having trouble (i updated that one as well and the score remained the same). I enjoyed Still, and now i'm going to listen to those hit hidden gems again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Original Review After a long hiatus i'm finally back, there have been many changes in my life, but i also had lost inspiration in reviewing for some time, that's why i'll approach this really simple to approach album... well, not really, every time that i listened to it i wasn't paying atention because of how simple it felt, but now i'll try to pay atention and actually do a review about it.

I like that many people are cooperating with Tony here, some people that we've seen in his past work and people that we will see later again. It'd be cool if he worked with them again... except with whoever designed his album art, really boring.

1.- Red Day On Blue Street 5/10 Mostly happy and harmless pop song, i have the feeling that this album will keep being like this, not good, just ok.

2.- Angel Face 5/10 This one gets more intense, like what i've been accustomed already, something that i forgot to mention about the past song that this one also has, lyrics over music or atleast music at the service of lyrics, nowadays is voice over instruments.

3.- The Gift 4/10 Reminds me of a later release... Strictly inc. Heavy on scales, reminds me of "The Serpent Said" where in the review i said "chord progressions" when i wanted to say scales . It is happy, sounds like a modern church song near the end, really basic.

4.- Still It Takes Me by Surprise 7/10 The title track, a normal ballad, more complex than everything so far. Finally a piano solo, not the best one but good. I like the chord changes and scales, i would've done the song shorter and added some more instruments... like a mellotron, everything is better with mellotron.

5.- Hero for an Hour 4/10 I haven't pointed who was singing in each song, that's the sellout of the album, i really don't care that much if the songs are still boring, but it is always something special to know when Tony is singing his own songs. This song is just ok, a little simple again, more lyrics than music again, repetitive and a little charming, but it doesn't have much going on.

6.- I Wanna Change the Score 6/10 Reminds me of "Moving Under" from "The Fugitive". This song fits right into a slice of life relaxing 90s movie, better than ok, gives a good mood and does it right even tho i don't feel like the music should be so happy because of the lyrics.

7.- Water Out Of Wine 6/10 A haunting song, its average, the chords sound special tho, it gives some certain intranquility. I have to point out Jayney Klimek because i really liked her work in Bankstatment and here she shows that she works really good with Tony Banks.

8.- Another Murder of a Day 7/10 Already a really nice atmosphere, the best song from Tony with Fish on vocals. This song is really good, but near the last 3 minutes, it feels as if Tony went tired, and the song gets happy while also giving the queue to the short guitar solo, if it wasn't for the last 3 minutes, this would be 1 point higher, it is still the best song on the album. The last piano notes are too late to save the song from losing my interest.

9.- Back to Back 5/10 Pumping that rythm out, it sounds good, it gets very repetitive but it has some moments near the end. At this point i'm a little tired of this album, i would've given it a 4.

10.- The Final Curtain 4/10 Another song that reminds me of "Strictly Inc." and i'm already tired of this album, but wait, at half of the song, it gets more hyped, but that doesn't stop the song from being repetitive and boring. I don't feel like it deserves a 3 tho, its a little better than that.

Overall this album gets a 53/100, wich is 2 stars and the lowest overall score so far, i expected less but i finished surprised. I still feel like not recommending any song unless you like the musicians involved that aren't Tony Banks, this album offers good moments instead of good entire songs.

I still don't know what's certain in the future but who does, i'll probably review Six next.

FalconBleck | 3/5 |