Änglagård - Hybris CD (album) cover

HYBRIS

Änglagård

dougmcauliffe
4 stars There are two things that really stand out about this album for me. For one, its fantastic production. Beautiful drum tones and truly heavy instrumentals. Secondly, it's big influence on future acts. This really invented a new dark sound for Symphonic prog that has been imitated plenty. I almost feel a vibe of King Crimson if they did full blown Symphonic Prog, but this is undeniably the Anglagard sound.

The musicians all play incredibly, the songs are all full of great moments. This is a hard album to knock, but I have two gripes with this album. Firstly is the vocals. I wish there was a greater emphasis on vocal melodies and if i'm being honest, I just don't like the singers voice. The other issue I have is with some of the song structure. They will play something really cool early in the song and never revisit it. They just go from one really cool section to the next and it kinda ties into what I said about the vocals. I would personally prefer a greater emphasis on the songs and recurring themes.

I would say Hybris is a modern prog essential. It is a very good album that is made even more impressive for the time it was released in 1992. With that said, I think other bands have done this style better than Anglagard did on this album.

8/10