Sky - Sky 2 CD (album) cover

SKY 2

Sky

Dream_Nebula
4 stars Review - #5

Sky 2 is the closest the band ever came to a masterpiece. This album is extremely enjoyable and musicianship shown here is spectacular! The album starts off with Hotta. This song shows off the talents of each of the band members very well and is a great opener to the album. the next 2 songs on side one ( Dance of the Little Fairies and Sahara ) are also great. especially Sahara. I always found this song to be one of my favorites from Sky. But don't worry, this album has an abundance of fantastic moments throughout it. Now, we have the epic of the album FIFO. This is a very well written and intriguing epic. FIFO is one of my favorite epics from the eighties. There is not much I could say about FIFO since it is just a overall fantastic piece of music. I always found side three of Sky 2 to be the weakest part of the album. Side 3 is not bad, just not as good as sides 1, 2 and 4. Side 3 starts of with Tuba Smarties which is the only live song on the album. This song is fun and enjoyable and is meant to be sort of "Funny". Then we have Ballet-Volta which is a pleasant short guitar song. After that track, we have Gavotte & Variations. This song really shows that Francis Monkman was a great keyboardist. overall Gavotte & Variations is a very nice song. Adante is another nice guitar piece. Just like Ballet- Volta I feel that this is track is pleasant and beautiful. Tristan's Magic Garden is a very interesting track. This song has some great drumming on it from Tristan Fry and is really enjoyable listen. El Cielo is the final song on side 3 and is also my favorite on side 3. This track never fails to give me goosebumps. I love the combination of the playing by John Williams with the great keyboards from Francis Monkman. As for side 4. This side starts off with Vivaldi which starts off with a urgency right away. I also really like Tristan Fry's drumming here. Every member of the band really plays well on this track though. The next song on the album is Scipio (Pt. 1 & 2). This is track has some great and memorable melodies on it along with a nice amount of changing moods. Another great track by Sky. Toccata is the final song of the album and my favorite song on the album as well. This song just blows me away. Toccata is a Bach cover. But Sky makes it their own. This song is played with perfection and is just superb. Overall this album has a large amount of variety and each track feels like different then the previous one. I would highly recommend listening to this album for everyone. But especially if you like progressive rock with classical influences in it. Sky 2 is a phenomenal album by Sky!

Hotta - 4/5

El Cielo - 4/5

Vivaldi - 4.5/5

Scipio (Pt. 1 & 2) - 4.5/5

Toccata - 5/5

Overall - 4.5/5

Dream_Nebula | 4/5 |

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.