Renaissance - Turn of the Cards CD (album) cover

TURN OF THE CARDS

Renaissance

prog_traveller!!
4 stars This album is very calm and beautiful. Annie Haslam's always-beautiful vocals add a nice dimension to the sound. The textures of pianos are always beautiful and the musical structures extremely well built. Sometimes complex and at other times more serene. From those albums it's great to sit back and relax with their background music. Turn of the Cards represents an evolutionary step, mainly in terms of arrangement, dynamics and production. Here the pieces flow naturally from start to finish, encompassing melodious music and descriptive instrumentals in an organic wave of energetic, calm lines.

"Running Hard" is the opening track. It starts with a very complex improvisation that mixes jazz and classical music. When the song comes in with its full melody, it is catchy, especially the vocals of Annie Haslam. It has several segments where it moves with great naturalness and smoothness from one to the other. An excellent opening song for the album. "I Think Of You" is charmingly simple. More pop-oriented, it also has a folk flavor through its acoustic guitar rhythm section. This combined with the clavinet sound makes the song richer in texture. The bass lines are very compact and accompany the music well from beginning to end. "Things I Dont Understand" is a song that moves to more energetic beats. The bass lines are made up of a lot of groove. The vocal line is very rich, especially during part of the interlude, while the guitar still dominates the rhythm section. The choir in the middle of this track is literally mesmerizing. "Black Flame" starts with a sound set by acoustic guitar, very smooth background bass and keyboard also giving a flow to the music. Before the vocals come in, some string orchestrations enrich the track. Again we are facing a very catchy melody. The clavinet work makes the music even more interesting to enjoy. I consider this one of my favorite songs from the band. "Cold Is Being" is a short song, serene and very well constructed by Anne's voice and the church organ in the background. It can also be seen as a preparation for the next track that will close the album. "Mother Russia" is the track that closes the album and if I'm not mistaken it was the first song by the band I heard. It's a great and wonderful epic that moves dynamically between highs and lows that always stirs my emotion. It's not just a wonderful track in terms of melody, but also because of its wonderful flow from one segment to another. Working on its string section makes the music even richer. Wonderful.

Anyone who likes melodic and harmonious rock will enjoy "Turn Of The Cards" a lot. If you also know how to win something from progressive rock music, because the songs are extremely varied, you will have a lot of fun with this album. The funny thing is that Renaissance was and is "relatively" unknown - at least in comparison to the other heroes of the 1970s in this genre.

prog_traveller!! | 4/5 |

Share this RENAISSANCE review

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.